Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the Pegasus Galaxy is...

Originally posted by Mio
    Really. When they said that pegasus was in the 'local group' i thought it would be real.
    Yes, its real. The local group is, funnily enough , a little local group of galaxies that are relatively close to each other and are gravitationally bound in the Universe.

The MilkyWay, and the Andromeda Galaxy are in the local group among others, and infact, the Milkyway and Andromeda are heading straight for each other and will collide (well, more like pass straight through each other). Okay, i'm an astronomy geek, it shows. Sorry

This, of course, contradicts a few things. Apparently the Pegasus Galaxy is really really far away, much further than Ida, and that is why a ZPM was required to generate all the extra power to go to Pegasus, while a liquid naqueda generator was all that was required to go to Ida to contact the Asguard.

But it looks like the Asguard galaxy is further. Pegasus is just a dwarf galaxy orbiting Andromeda, which is not very far away at all as galaxies go! Its one of the closest!

I also liked in the Fifth Race (i recently rewatched it) when they dialed the 8 chevron address for the first time... and how they were all looking at each other going "what the hell?"... the 8th chevron locked, and there was actually a several second pause before the wormhole opened... it gave the feeling that the stargate really did open to a place very very far way, it even took 2 to 3x as long for the wormhole to open after locking the last chevron.

Yet, in Atlantis, when the SGC dialed the 8 chevron atlantis address, the wormhole opened rather quickly... it felt like the same length of time it always took.

Also when the animation appeared, it showed jack going through the wormhole animation for a long long time... and it was alot shorter for the atlantis one.

It really felt like they weren't dialing an address far away when they dialed Atlantis in Pegasus, yet when they dialed (Othalla?) in the Ida Galaxy, it felt like it was **ALOT** further.

Yet, that pathetic little liquid naqueda generator they built was all they needed. And they did it again, in that alternate reality episode (forget the name). Why can't they just make another one to call up Atlantis again? Its not even mentioned and rejected... they just say "this is a one way shot and we have no other choice". Why?????????????

I could be wrong, but as I recall, they only recharged the pathetic little naquada generator, not re-build it. I don't think they know how to rebuild it. In addition (possible spoilers)

They recharged it for one of the AU episodes where tehy gave it to themselves in an AU to contact the Asgard and save them from the Goa'uld. This means they no longer have the naquada ZPM and since they don't know how to rebuild it AND O'Neill no longer has the ancient knowledge, they can't make another one.

To try and anticipate further questions, O'Neill probably couldn't make another naquada ZPM for the Ancient outpost weapn because it was much easier to interface a "McGyverred" naquada ZPM, made from our tech with our tech, than it would have been to Ancients tech in the outpost. Remember, O'Neill interfaced the device with our tech circuit breakers. It may not have interfaced as easily to the control chair in the Ancient outpost.

Question for diskiller, is their a real life Ida galaxy and is it indeed much further away than Pegasus?

Comment

where is the kaleam galaxy mentioned in the movie

Comment

Q About ZPM's?!

Answer me this, I may of missed it but I doubt it. The ZPM. if it gets it energy form subspace. Then how come it runs out of charge. Subspace as we all know if meant to be a super realm of its own which I guess is as big as the universe anyway. So how comes it runs out of power? does the appature that opens a hole into subspace get smaller the more power it uses until the hole is closed.

Also, is a ZPM more powerful (when fully charged) than a sun!?

Cliff
        Got computer problems? visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/tech

Living TV's Most Haunted, get the spooks, visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/mosthaunted.

Comment

Originally posted by cjp_24
          Q About ZPM's?!

Answer me this, I may of missed it but I doubt it. The ZPM. if it gets it energy form subspace. Then how come it runs out of charge. Subspace as we all know if meant to be a super realm of its own which I guess is as big as the universe anyway. So how comes it runs out of power? does the appature that opens a hole into subspace get smaller the more power it uses until the hole is closed.

Cliff
          I would say a sun holds more energy, or at least most do because they tend to burn for billions of years while the ZPM only for a couple million.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
            I would say a sun holds more energy, or at least most do because they tend to burn for billions of years while the ZPM only for a couple million.
            An exploding ZPM is still powerful enough to destroy the solar system just like when the sun goes supernova.

Comment

Originally posted by cjp_24
              Q About ZPM's?!

Cliff

I think your theory might make sence if the zpm is producing so much power it could have a defect that the anciants couldnt eliminate and so there for the more energy you draw from the zpm the weaker it becomes and the less able it is to maintain its hold in subspace.

Its just a guess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by terraatlantus
                Just after they activate the gate for the first time and send the MALP through you see the course plotter going across a star chart and they say its locked on to some point in the kaleam galaxy on the other side of the known universe.

I guess when they decided to make the series they chose to forget this fact.

Comment

Originally posted by diskiller
                  This, of course, contradicts a few things. Apparently the Pegasus Galaxy is really really far away, much further than Ida, and that is why a ZPM was required to generate all the extra power to go to Pegasus, while a liquid naqueda generator was all that was required to go to Ida to contact the Asguard.
                  But Ida is the Asguards name for the galaxy, it may well be known as something else to us.

Originally posted by terraatlantus
                  I think this galaxy was just made up. I just consider the person who said this to be just plain wrong and everyone else was so stunned that they didn't correct him.

Comment

The Pegasus Galaxy is a dwarf galaxy orbiting Andromeda. It is still in the Local Group.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

The one shot was because the zpm was almost dead and only had enough power to reach the glaxy once.

there are a few thories as to why ZPM's run out. 1) the zpm holds a bubble of subspace like a battery holds a charge, it will work untill the bubble runs out.
                      2) (i like this one) the ZPM acts like a light bulb, there is subspace (the electrisity from the wall) and the physical zpm crystal thing (the filiment inside the light bulb) the electricty will last for ever but eventully the physical element will wearout.

who said the home made naquada zpm was any less powerful? maybe it might be able to do the same thing just for a very short time before it breaks. sine we dont know if the one jack built was doing some funky subspace thing like the zpms (using the power of naq to access the greater power of subspace, like detonating an H-bomb with an A-bomb) we will never know
                      Last edited by AsgardCarnage; 11 January 2005, 06:25 AM.

Comment

It wasn't a "Naquadah ZPM". It was nothing like a ZPM in any way other than it generated a huge amount of energy. It was a power source that used liquid naquadah from a staff weapon.

The staff weapons can be used for thousands of years before they run out of energy, because the liquid naquadah powers them. O'Neill rigged up a little something so that the energy within the liquid naquadah could be used all at once, instead of slowly over thousands of years.

</one man's opinion>

Comment

Here's a little image of the Pegasus galaxy I made, using the progam Deep Space Explorer from Starry Night software.

The Milky Way galaxy is the large one at the bottom, about three million light years away. Andromeda is seen edge on in the upper left, about 1.6 mly away, and Triangulum is in the upper right, approx. 1.7 mly away (more or less, this is a fairly simple program).

The Pegasus galaxy itself is less than five thousand light years across, a tiny fraction of the size of the Milky way.

a time to mourn

Comment

Thanks for the explaination and the pic great job
                            "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

That definetely is a great pic, Hatcheter!

I feel kinda...dumb putting this up, but...

Real Pegasus:

Comment

Working...
                              X