This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard and Weir: Friends and leaders discussion

As someone who doesn't ship on SGA but who does want to talk about Shep and Weir as FRIENDS and LEADERS without romance coming into the mix, I bring you this new thread.

I know there is the Shep/Weir thread but it's 95% ship and I'm not comfortable chatting there. Here I want to be able to talk about Shep and Weir, equally, as friends and leaders. Just like it says.

If you HATE Shep or HATE Weir, this is probably not the thread for you.

Please feel free to discuss openly about Shep and Weir. As friends. As leaders. From ep to ep. Whatever.

Anyone interested?

I'd love to start with Shep and Weir in rising. How Weir seemed to look to Shep for guidance in many ways. Like she knew he was meant to be there. That she needed him to wake up Atlantis. I think they're yin and yang and both needed to run Atlantis.

Thoughts??

Yin and yang exactly - I think Torri was just perfect for the part I dont think it would have worked with Joe and Jessica
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

OK, Merlin, I'll bite.

We know that Weir was suspicious of the military, and as a civilian leader of the expedition, perhaps she sensed in Sheppard someone who could think outside the military box. How's that?

I do enjoy their dynamic very much, and think there's enough similarity and difference here to keep things on track.
      Sig by Camy

Comment

cool thread..i may be a shep/teyla shipper but i like the aspects of shep and weir as friends
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          Yin and yang exactly - I think Torri was just perfect for the part I dont think it would have worked with Joe and Jessica

Yeah..I think it worked out better with Torri and Joe because Torri plays it more with cool detachment. But in a good way. She's like a mother hen for everyone. I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by majortrip
            OK, Merlin, I'll bite.

We know that Weir was suspicious of the military, and as a civilian leader of the expedition, perhaps she sensed in Sheppard someone who could think outside the military box. How's that?

I do enjoy their dynamic very much, and think there's enough similarity and difference here to keep things on track.

You know, I think you're right about that. That she sensed he would think outside the box. It's funny cause I think she totally expects Shep to be MILITARY and do what has to be done to protect Atlantis and it's people. But at the same time I think she's surprised when he does what he has to do...to protect them.

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
              cool thread..i may be a shep/teyla shipper but i like the aspects of shep and weir as friends

Thanks. I think they're very much friends and that they need each other to run atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                She's like a mother hen for everyone. I like that.
                A suave mother hen
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

i agree...if it weren't for shep's military strength and weir's strong leadership..i don't think there would be an atlantis expedition
                  sigpic

Comment

Awsome idea In fact, there should be one just the same for Shep and Teyla as friends They have lovely friendshippy chemistry Very much like Jack and Teal'c IMO

Anyway, I may be a John/Liz Shipper, the aspect I most enjoy in their relationship (and I don't mean romantic wise, that's mostly in our shippy minds at the moment and I can accept that ) is the friendship. It's so great to see them confide in each other, and TALK! We didn't have any of that in SG-1 where a person and their second in command or whoever would just talk about what happened. And ask for advice instead of being all tough and competent. It's nice to see them reassure each other. It's also interesting to see when they are in opposition like in Hot Zone. The dynamic is different because she asks for trust from him, not blind obedience as say, General Hammond or O'Neill or Landry would demand... They have such a human relationship I like it very much
                    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
                      Awsome idea In fact, there should be one just the same for Shep and Teyla as friends They have lovely friendshippy chemistry Very much like Jack and Teal'c IMO

Anyway, I may be a John/Liz Shipper, the aspect I most enjoy in their relationship (and I don't mean romantic wise, that's mostly in our shippy minds at the moment and I can accept that ) is the friendship. It's so great to see them confide in each other, and TALK! We didn't have any of that in SG-1 where a person and their second in command or whoever would just talk about what happened. And ask for advice instead of being all tough and competent. It's nice to see them reassure each other. It's also interesting to see when they are in opposition like in Hot Zone. The dynamic is different because she asks for trust from him, not blind obedience as say, General Hammond or O'Neill or Landry would demand... They have such a human relationship I like it very much
                      I found it interesting when TPTB said that they originally intended for Shep and Weir to have a more antognistic relationship but it didn't play out that way. Their dynamic is different and I enjoy it. They're friends. They rely on each other, but they're both individuals and they play to each others strengths, yet they're both honest with each other. It's nice to see. And they both make mistakes and don't hold a grudge. As it should be.

Comment

I think that even though i am an avid sparky shipper... Sheppard and Weir, i can see them as being the best of friends... they have a deep friendship and respect for each other that is so rare in the real world any way!!
                        ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

I'm a S/W shipper myself, but I think first and foremost, they are close friends. I think that's what's most important in the relationship between them. Over the last two seasons, they've learned to trust each other and rely on each other, despite Weir's initial anti-military stance.
                          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                            I'd love to start with Shep and Weir in rising. How Weir seemed to look to Shep for guidance in many ways. Like she knew he was meant to be there. That she needed him to wake up Atlantis. I think they're yin and yang and both needed to run Atlantis.

Thoughts??
                            Yin and Yang, yes. They look just like the opposite of each other (but IMO they're more like each other than we'd think at first) and that's why it's working so well when they run Atlantis together. Only civilian leadership wouldn't work, as only military leadership.
                            They complete each other and that's why I love them both so much

I don't know if she 'knew' he was meant to be there. Actually, I'd like to see them talk about why she insisted on having him on the expedition. It could be interesting... But there's a big probability we'll never see it on screen and that we'll have to settle for fics (in fact, I've already read it somewhere... can't remember the title of that fic though)
                            I like how their relationship evolved during these 2 seasons. They've learnt to trust each other and to understand how the other one thinks (even if they disagree).

Nice thread Merlin. Thanks for that

PS : Just so everyone knows, I'm a shipper but if we only see them as friends, it works for me. And if I want to see something more, I know where to find it (fics)
                            Flo ~ FBI - Proud Shep Thunker - Proud member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team !

Comment

I think they've gotten to know each other's rhythms and methods pretty well over the last year.

I can't really see him being that blatant in his insubordination in S2 the way he was in Hot Zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X