Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whedon: No More Firefly

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=33982

Firefly/Serenity creator Joss Whedon told USA Today that he still hopes to tell more stories set in the futuristic universe, but added that there's no chance he'll do another Firefly TV show.
    sigpic

*cries*

You really had to post this and break my poor little heart, didn't you? *sobs*

May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

It's not all bad. He's still up for more movies featuring our Big Damm Heroes, and even for a TV series eventually. (Okay, very eventually, but I can be an optimist here.) He just says that the TV show that might eventually materialise wouldn't be Firefly. It'd have a different direction because Serenity took the BDHs straight to the place where Firefly wouldn't have let them reach for years, so it'd have to be something new(ish).

I want to change this thread's title. I don't like it.
      If you let me change it to 'no more firefly, but perhaps more serenity' I'll have a much happier time in this patch of the forum. I'm trivial like that

Pretty pretty please?
      :: Makes puppy eyes ::

Madeleine

Comment

Ok, I read the article, and I am disappointed that Firefly is over. BUT, I'm glad that there will be other stories. I have a question though. "What is Serenity: Revolutions?"

Token ~

Comment

Strange decision
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

I say that is too bad. But he really couldn't do a TV show with the movie's ending.
            Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Originally posted by captainpash
              I say that is too bad. But he really couldn't do a TV show with the movie's ending.
              Don’t see why they couldn’t the alliance is still their just with a worse reputation and they still are doing jobs etc I thought they set up the ending of the movie so that they could continue it with either another movie or back on TV with hopefully more then one season but yeah I don’t think he will never do it if he continues to make a lot of money on it he may think gees people must really like this idea and continue it (by the way I didn’t read the article)

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                Strange decision
                I dont think it is too odd of a choice. The television series never really took off because before fox aired it they had already planned the cancellation (ok... thats a little harsh but it seemed that way). But i think he is wise in not bringing it back to tv. The media outlet that it thrived best in was big screen.

Now im not saying i dont want the tv show.... as much as i enjoyed serenity i loved the feel of firefly alot more. Im sad to see it not continuing, but one thing i learned from being a farscape fan... dont not eat the bread because your holding out for steak.

Edit: going back over my post i see it is a bit incoherent... hopefully you guys understood what i was trying to say.

Lizbeth
                das haus ist gelb. ich liebe gelb!!

MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by StarzSkyMoon
                  I dont think it is too odd of a choice. The television series never really took off because before fox aired it they had already planned the cancellation (ok... thats a little harsh but it seemed that way). But i think he is wise in not bringing it back to tv. The media outlet that it thrived best in was big screen.
                  Actually, it thrived best as DVDs. Really, it's no shock that the TC show won't be coming back. Fox basically owns Joss Whedon; he can't do any TV shows unless its for them. He shut down Mutant Enemy, his television production company, and has turned his attention to the big screen. He's working on Wonder Woman, and I've heard that he already has another project lined up after that.

And most importantly, he has clearly stated that the door is not closed on the Firefly 'verse.

a time to mourn

Comment

Least we've got books and more possibilites of movies.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Joss did a bunch of interviews to promote the Serenity DVD in late December. I could not find the USA Today original article online, Sci Fi did not link to its source.
                      But Entertainment Weekly did an article in December that took Joss' comments somewhat out of context and added a doomsday title to the interview. http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1141343_1_0_,00.html

EW's story then was posted on Slash/Dot and other places, possibly also USA Today, but I cant' find it on their online version.

Joss Whedon has definitely not given up on more of the Firefly 'verse.

Joss' response to misinterpretations in the Entertainment Weekly article are below. Or read the whole thing from Whedonesque where it was originally posted:
                      http://whedonesque.com/comments/9027#more

Scroll down to see Joss' comments, which are also here:

"All right, now I have to jump in and set the record straight. EW is a fine rag, but they do take things out of context. Obviously when I said I had 'closure', what I meant was "I hate Serenity, I hated Firefly, I think my fans are stupid and Nathan Fillion smells like turnips." But EW's always got to put some weird negative spin on it. But so we're clear once and for all: If you read a quote saying "I'd love to do more in this 'verse with these actors in any medium" all I'm saying is that Nathan has a turnipy odor. It's not his fault, he doesn't eat a lot of them but everyone else in the cast noticed it and tht's not really something I'm prepared to deal with any more. And Jewel said outright she wouldn't do scenes with him except stuff like the SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER funeral scene which was outside in a high SPOILER wind. So if I do manage to find another incarnation for my beloved creation, it will have been totally against my will.

I hope that clears everything up. Oh, and when I say I want to do a Spike movie, it means I have a bunion on my toe.

-joss (by which I mean Tim)

(no, actually me.)
                      joss | December 21, 02:12 CET
                      "

If you want more Serenity/Firefly - buy the DVDs. Walmart has the Firefly series on sale for less than $20 and of course, buy the Serenity film DVD.

And don't forget the Firefly marathon on all day this Friday, Jan 6 too.
                      Stay shiny and keep flying!

Comment

There was never going to be another Firefly series, becuase Firefly dies when Fox cancelled it. What we have now is Serenity: the movie and any possible sequels, the novel series, the RPG, etc. Joss isn't going to jump from Firefly to Serenity, a vastly different being, and then jump back again, 'cause Serenity can't fit into Firefly.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                          All this means is like serenity "Serenity" isnt >firefly < its a story that comes off of firefly so there could be more "movies"

Comment

the operative said they're still here but with less power. maybe they'll come after them.

well he said no tv show but nothing bout movies. here's to more movies!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                              the operative said they're still here but with less power. maybe they'll come after them.

well he said no tv show but nothing bout movies. here's to more movies!!!!
                              yea

Comment

Working...
                              X