PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis StarGate and StarGates in the Pegasus Galaxy

diskiller
July 18th, 2004, 04:51 AM
What's with the aqua/blue Chevrons with the Atlantis StarGate? I agree it looks somewhat cool, tho I like the orange/red that the old Version 1.0 StarGates in the Milkyway have.

I don't pariticularly like the light symbols spinning around.. its looks, i dunno, kind of old and lame... the nice spinning mechanical earth Stargate is somewhat cooler looking IMO. I dunno. What do other people think? It just makes me think of some crappy old style arcade game which just has lights light up fixed cutout symbols because it can't draw actual images using pixels. Remember those old style games? Or ancient style handheld games? Thats what it reminds me off... If it was a nice smooth spinning, maybe it'd look cool, but it just looks real crap IMO.

Anyone else notice the three little red orangy thingies that were attached to the orbiting stargate? I assume its some kind of propulsion system that keeps the stargate in proper orbit so it doesn't "drift off".

I totally dislike the 9 chevrons lighting up when only a 7 digit address was dialed, but this is already being discussed and debated in another thread...

ImportRacer
July 18th, 2004, 06:34 AM
I like it better...

you said "It just makes me think of some crappy old style arcade game which just has lights light up fixed cutout symbols because it can't draw actual images using pixels." but are you forgeting that the symbols represent constelations... they are just dots... they arent actual images...

and it is clearly more advanced... it lacks moving parts... so it can dial much faster... consume less energy...

and if you want to compare the gates to games... the original stargate reminds me of those old wind up toys... as for the blue color... thats just to go with the whole atlantis theme... you know the underwater city... yada yada yada...

shinyredpants
July 18th, 2004, 06:36 AM
my dad thinks the older one is better, because it seems old fashioned in a way...

i like the new one however =)

VirtualCLD
July 18th, 2004, 06:44 AM
I admit the old style gate has this sort of antique charm to it. But as an Electrical Engineer, Superbright LEDs all the way!!!!

CaptDS9E
July 18th, 2004, 06:55 AM
All technology grows better , and the ancients over time came up with a better gate.

capt

CelticPhantom
July 18th, 2004, 07:20 AM
I don't know why but the Atlantis gate just looks a lot more breakable to me.

Danny-boy
July 18th, 2004, 08:43 AM
I think the new stargates are cool

I mean we're talking about the people who BUILT the stargates, don't you think maybe they would have a better one than the ones they sent out everywhere else?

or maybe the stargates are different in the pegasus galaxy

i don't know, but they are COOL!!!

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Who knows? The new stargates may have suprising abilities that we haven't seen yet.

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 09:12 AM
and it is clearly more advanced... it lacks moving parts... so it can dial much faster... consume less energy...
Off-World gates in our galaxy seem to dial just as fast. Our gates look more Ancient... Although the Atlantis gates are cooler.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 09:17 AM
The only problem I have with the Atlantis gate is that the symbols aren't detailed enough, you can't really make out the symbol in a glance like the old gates. Check out Earths PoO on the Atlantis gate
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7187/Earth.jpg

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 09:28 AM
That symbol should have been the Atlantis PoO... it's more recognizable then the jumble of dots that is the Atlantis PoO.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 09:32 AM
That symbol should have been the Atlantis PoO... it's more recognizable then the jumble of dots that is the Atlantis PoO.
Yea, I agree
They maybe should have little glowing lines connecting the dots to give the symbols more shape. Because if u look at it from different angles, it just looks like a bunch of lights randomly placed.

PYRO
July 18th, 2004, 09:34 AM
The Atlantis StarGate is more unbreakable since it has less moving parts.....

And it doesnt take as much power to make lights show up then to spin a REALLY BIG ring around that weighs a few dozen tons.....

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care about PoO? Since it's just a button that tells the gate "we are here" That could easily be done with a random signal or something else.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care about PoO? Since it's just a button that tells the gate "we are here" That could easily be done with a random signal or something else.
I don't care about the PoO either, I just think that all the symbols are too jumbled to really see. First time I saw the gate acitvate, I couldn't even make out one symbol.

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM
They all look like a bunch of dots to me... except the one that looks like the earth PoO.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I think it's harder to remember dots then solid symbols, so remembering addresses must be a pain, unless they learn where on the DHD they are.

Janus
July 18th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I think it's harder to remember dots then solid symbols, so remembering addresses must be a pain, unless they learn where on the DHD they are.

Euhm..Isn't each DHD different.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Then it would be very hard to get to a planet, since you could only go from A->B and not C->B. The only thing that's different is the PoO, and it's always on the same place.

Janus
July 18th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Okay, just checking.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Nothing wrong with checking out stuff :D

Jonas Quinn
July 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Euhm..Isn't each DHD different.No, all DHDs are the same except for the Point of Origin. That is the only unique symbol.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM
A little late there Jonas, aAnubiSs beat you to it.

diskiller
July 18th, 2004, 03:47 PM
No, all DHDs are the same except for the Point of Origin. That is the only unique symbol.

The PoO is one of those real wierd things (and I think its been discussed to death in other threads anyway). We got no idea why each planet (well, stargate) has a unique PoO symbol. You need to dial a 6 digit address (in correct order it seems) to specify the planet/gate you want to gate to, and then you need to specify your PoO? Why?

Why not just give every gate a unique symbol? Well, i guess you'd need 1000's of buttons on each DHD to specify each place you want to gate to... that would become unwieldy. And then you would need to go to each DHD and add extra buttons for each new gate you create so you can go to it... so i understand why we use this address system like dialing a phone number. But then why do we need a PoO, and a unique one at that??

And what of the tollans? They built their own stargate (out of different material even) on tollana... they just invented their own PoO symbol?

I guess there's alot we'll just never know.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Here's a repost of My Opinion™

The symbols are worthless. The glyphs are, imho, only used as a visual representation.

Every glyph is probably assigned a number. We do it, it would make sense for the ancients to do it, as the DHD program probably interprets numbers, not symbols. We use ASCII, the only ASCII code I can remember at the moment is 34, or: "

Of course, the ancients probably use Octal numbers (fifth race)...but that is irrelevent to my point.

Someone dials up 7 numbers, the DHD sees:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 39

Ok, 39 is the PoO...(.and will ALWAYS be represented by 39.)...we dial

Someone dials 8, we see:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 14, 39

Ok, We see 8. Let's check the built in database of Galaxies. Hmm, Galaxy 14 (symbol 7). Ok, so let's see what 36-28-3-12-2-7 in Galaxy 14 is....Kawoosh, open wormhole.

diskiller
July 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Hey... it just occured to me... all this talk of stargates...

It was mentioned in another thread somewhere that perhaps the city will have whatever equipment is required to build ZPM's. (Okay, so maybe that would be a little too convenient). But the fact remains, the Ancients could build ZPM's to power thier technology, and they could build Stargates.... perhaps... just perhaps... we could find where the Ancients built their stargates? It might not be on Atlantis, but it might be hidden away somewhere on a once Ancient inhabited planet (or it might be in the milkyway, who knows).

But i think it makes sense that the Version 1.0 stargates in the milkyway were built there, and once the Ancients went to inhabit the Pegasus galaxy they built another stargate assembly line there that built the newer Version 2.0 stargates in Pegasus. Perhaps that place still exists. Perhaps we could build figure out how their tech works and build a few of our own gates? Have some spares to stow away on earth, put on the Prometheus (another thread), etc.... I mean, why not?

diskiller
July 18th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Here's a repost of My Opinion™

The symbols are worthless. The glyphs are, imho, only used as a visual representation.

Every glyph is probably assigned a number. We do it, it would make sense for the ancients to do it, as the DHD program probably interprets numbers, not symbols. We use ASCII, the only ASCII code I can remember at the moment is 34, or: "

Of course, the ancients probably use Octal numbers (fifth race)...but that is irrelevent to my point.

Someone dials up 7 numbers, the DHD sees:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 39

Ok, 39 is the PoO...(.and will ALWAYS be represented by 39.)...we dial

Someone dials 8, we see:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 14, 39

Ok, We see 8. Let's check the built in database of Galaxies. Hmm, Galaxy 14 (symbol 7). Ok, so let's see what 36-28-3-12-2-7 in Galaxy 14 is....Kawoosh, open wormhole.

Perfect explanation! I think that is exactly how it works!

The whole 6 points in space mapping constalations where they intersect idea was only in the movie and pretty much ditched since then. It appears to work exactly the way you explained it these days.

Still doesn't explain the point of the PoO symbol tho. I guess its just number 39 always, but why even dial it... its superfluous... why always dial 39 as the last digit in the address. Is it like a "null terminator in C" (if you know programming) which signifies the end of the sequence and it is now time to open the wormhole? Perhaps a different number at the end could do something different, and we just do not know yet?

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I guess the PoO tells when to actually begin connection with another gate, or how else would they dial 8 chevrons for Atlantis

ToastBusters
July 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Why do the point of origion? It's like hitting the "enter" key when you input some data.

You're telling the computer "I'm done, now connect." Otherwise how the hell could the system know whether you're dialing a seven, eight or perhaps even nine symbol address?

The point of origion makes sense, but like you said, there is no point in making it unique.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Why do the point of origion? It's like hitting the "enter" key when you input some data.

You're telling the computer "I'm done, now connect." Otherwise how the hell could the system know whether you're dialing a seven, eight or perhaps even nine symbol address?

The point of origion makes sense, but like you said, there is no point in making it unique.
Thanks for restating my words, cuz I was at a lost for words when I posted. :)

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Just in case anyone cares, I believe the new PoO is the constellation Pegasus. It would make sense. I'll have to have a better screen cap to look at, the one I have is kinda blurry.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Just in case anyone cares, I believe the new PoO is the constellation Pegasus. It would make sense. I'll have to have a better screen cap to look at, the one I have is kinda blurry.'

I don't think so. I enlarged it and tossed some dots in to make them clearer...

Doesn't match the pegasus constilation

http://membres.lycos.fr/cdadfs/constellation/pegase/pegasus.html

Or I <COULD> be wrong...i am tired....

Edit: Oh, hey, I have new avatars...hehehe...

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Hmmm, the constellation pic I was looking at was different than that one. Mines missing the "wing" on the left side. Probably why I think it looks close. Also, just look at the Milky Way gates pegasus symbol:

MW Stargate Symbols (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/stargate13/images/stargate3/simbole2.jpg)

and this is the pic of Pegasus I was looking at:

Pegasus Constellation (http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/constellations/pegasus.jpg)

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 05:51 PM
The new gate is great and all, but they gotta do something about the symbols. They just aren't clear enough to see. They gotta make the lighted lines connecting the dots alot brighter.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM
The new gate is great and all, but they gotta do something about the symbols. They just aren't clear enough to see. They gotta make the lighted lines connecting the dots alot brighter.
who cares what the symbols are? I like it....besides, we might get a good clean view of a DHD in one of the next few eps.

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Yea, overall I like the new design. Especially the colors.

But, on the subject of the symbols, are we sure the symbols arent the same as before?

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
They should be shouldn't they...
I mean its a new galaxy and all, so using the same symbols wouldn't conflict with gates from the MW galaxy.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM
They should be shouldn't they...
I mean its a new galaxy and all, so using the same symbols wouldn't conflict with gates from the MW galaxy. Read my theory again.

post #25 in this thread.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Read my theory again.

post #25 in this thread.
Read it and I understand what your saying, but just wanna know if the symbols are the same or different thats all. I just worded that post weird, cuz I read my post over and thought what you did too.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM
In my theory...the symbols wouldn't conflict at all...unless two planets had the same 6 symbol address, in which case, it would depend on what galaxy you're in at the time.

Sargent Prendegast
July 18th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Yea, overall I like the new design. Especially the colors.

But, on the subject of the symbols, are we sure the symbols arent the same as before?

I was wondering the same thing, or if maybe they are different since it's a different galaxy.

I do however really like the new gate compared to the old one, and I for one wouldn't want to see a rehash of the same thing. They're supposed to be in an advanced city, and I think it would really weird to have a manual dial stargate amongst all that tech. I really liked the orbiting stargates. Those things look sweet.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM
In my theory...the symbols wouldn't conflict at all...unless two planets had the same 6 symbol address, in which case, it would depend on what galaxy you're in at the time.
No ones bashing your theory, for all its worth, I completely agree with it. I'm asking if the symbols designated for visual representation as you said are the same

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 06:26 PM
No ones bashing your theory, for all its worth, I completely agree with it. I'm asking if the symbols designated for visual representation as you said are the same
Doubtful. Sorry, It's late, and I'm cranky :)

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Then go to sleep.
Rest that giant brain of yours.
:p

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Well, I dont think the symbols are the same. I took the wallpaper from the official site that has the new gate on it and photoshoped it to trace the symbols. check my attachment to see it. The only recognizable symbol was the symbol for Earth's Egyption gate. Not all of the symbols are visable on the wallpaper though, so maybe there are more.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Thats a great job you did

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Thats a great job you did

thank you. Most of the symbols should be accurate. Some lines might be missing here and there, certain sections of the gate had glare on it that wasn't helping me.

ylai
July 18th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I don't pariticularly like the light symbols spinning around.. its looks, i dunno, kind of old and lame... the nice spinning mechanical earth Stargate is somewhat cooler looking IMO.

Hey, this is the DIGITAL STARGATE. I kind of like old mechanical calculators too, but rather for collection and not for productive use.

Torley
July 18th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Ah! You say it's digital too :)

theoneill
July 19th, 2004, 01:57 AM
sorry to break the whole symbol thing, but about the difference between the old stargate and the new one, isnt the old one entirely made of naquida or sumthing and that lets it generate the energy required to make a stable wormhole but if thats so then whats the newer one made of?

Cyrstal Skull Alien
July 19th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Is the reason that this gate has not set hspaes but a series of "lights" that can make any symbol, because its on a ship that can travel between galaxies, no one said that atlantis was only meant to go to the Pegasus Galaxy, maybe the symbols on the gate are made up of light so that it can function in any destination?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Seems like all gates in Pegasus has the blinky lights-gate.

Hellcat
July 19th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Maybe for us.
But the ancients?

For the pure LOOK, I like the Atlantis gater better too.
But when it comes to the dialing sequence I preffer the "version 1.0" (who said there wasn't an even earlier version of the gates) of our galaxy.
Much cooler sound effects, and there's much more happening - more an attention catcher IMO than the new ones....

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 04:05 AM
There might be another reason for having blinky lights that we don't know of yet :o

sshspooky
July 19th, 2004, 04:08 AM
on the PoO thing, it makes sense for SG-1 to always have to enter in a PoO when dialing their gate, as because they don't have a DHD the gate knows the dialing is finished when the PoO is entered. While on other planets, a PoO is represented in the same place on a DHD, and may or maynot be different on each planet. Whether it is needed, I would say that when you press the middle of the DHD, the gate would automatically activate a PoO in the seventh chevron to open the wormhole, however the team usually enter the PoO as it is a more secure way to use the gate system and make sure the wormhole does connect.

however, this would only ever work when working with a seven chevron address, as when seven chevrons are entered with a DHD the gate system would assume the seventh chevron is the PoO and fail to open a wormhole as it is incorrect. Therefore, when dealing with an eigth chevron or more address the PoO is essential.

Lord_MiL
July 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM
I also agree that the new gate is much cooler looking, however I have one complaint:

Why the heck is the Atlantis gate slower than the other gates? When you hit a symbol on the Atlantis DHD, it doesn't automatically lock on the Atlantis gate but rather the gate lights up in a circular fashion until it reaches that symbol (I assume this is supposed to parallel the Earth gate's spinning). I suppose we haven't really seen enough other Pegasus gates to compare, but it just doesn't quite seem right to me.
The Earth gate had to spin because we didn't have a DHD and had to rig our own computers up to the gate (bypassing a number of gate protocols in the process). I always assumed that our system on Earth actually worked by manually dialing the gate EVERY time (rather than sending the actual encoded data to the gate like a normal DHD would, our computers simply activated motors to spin the gate to the correct spot, just as Teal'c did with his bare hands in that one episode). However, all off-world gates in SG-1 were basically instant because the DHD could send the encoded data and thus there was no need to spin. If this is truly the case then the Atlantis gate's "spinnin" doesn't jive.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM
If you dial faster it locks faster. McKay dialed one. Said "chevron one engaged", then dialed the rest fast.

Hellcat
July 19th, 2004, 08:44 AM
For real and meant 100% serious: Because it looks cool!

Yes, it's a TV show!
It is there to entertain, and what lazy entertainment would it be if the gate just makes "blip-lock, blip-lock, blip-lock, blip-lock, blip-lock, blip-lock, blip-lock, kawoosh"?

That's the reason I like the Milky-Gate a lot more than the Pega-Gate.
Because when "we" dial out, there happens so much more with so much more (and better IMO) sound effects than at the altlantis gate.

On the bottom line it's only entertainment, isn't it? :)

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Beat me to it aAnubiSs.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 08:46 AM
I beat you at everything :P

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I beat you at everything :P
YEAH!!!
BRING IT ON!!!
:D

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 08:50 AM
/me starts stripping

Can you strip faster?

I'm gonna need photo evidence ofcourse :D

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Okay, okay you win THAT round

Lord_MiL
July 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
lol, yeah I guess you guys do have a good point about it looking much cooler and it doesn't really take "that" long. I was speaking simply in terms of the show's plotline. It just really doesn't make much sense for only the Atlantis gate to "spin" Although I guess maybe the Atlanteans lead kind of a boring life while they were all holed up by the Wraith and thus needed any kind of entertainment they could get! :-)

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:16 AM
One can dial really fast with a DHD in Milky Way too.

Hellcat
July 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM
lol, yeah I guess you guys do have a good point about it looking much cooler and it doesn't really take "that" long. I was speaking simply in terms of the show's plotline. It just really doesn't make much sense for only the Atlantis gate to "spin" Although I guess maybe the Atlanteans lead kind of a boring life while they were all holed up by the Wraith and thus needed any kind of entertainment they could get! :-)
Indeed, for the pure plot, it makes less, if not none at all, sense.

corey2002
December 15th, 2004, 08:19 PM
atlantis is the only gate that has the constelations(?sp?) for glyphs-the rest of pagasus is sg-1 style

lordvader
December 15th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Since this has been ressurected, how would you go about manually dialing a gate with no moving parts ?

aAnubiSs
December 15th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Since this has been ressurected, how would you go about manually dialing a gate with no moving parts ?
With a Laptop.

WraithWarrior
December 16th, 2004, 03:47 AM
There are good and bad points about both gates, but overall I think that the Atlantis gate is better because of the colour of the chevrons and the symbols and I personally prefer the DHD from Atlantis to the one in the Milky Way, even though the Milky Way gate and DHD are unique and cool

Elite Anubis Guard
December 16th, 2004, 07:35 AM
i like the way the new gate fits in with the super cool and sofisticated theme of atlantis but i think the dial up on the original is impressive!

Sokar8145
December 17th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Yea, I agree
They maybe should have little glowing lines connecting the dots to give the symbols more shape. Because if u look at it from different angles, it just looks like a bunch of lights randomly placed.
If you look closly at the symbols you can see that they do have little glowing lines connecting them

Wass
December 17th, 2004, 08:55 AM
They perform the same function it's just the new look :p

Vampyr
March 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I dunno, I rather like the Pegasus StarGates, I like the whole "digital" style of the Pegasus 'Gates compared to the "analog" style of the Milky Way and Ida 'Gates. Like someone else said, it's easier to "spin" a few lights then spin a several dozen ton ring around.

Ozzy O'NeiLL
March 11th, 2007, 03:10 AM
i like the way the new gate fits in with the super cool and sofisticated theme of atlantis but i think the dial up on the original is impressive!

I agree with that statement. It totally fits within the Ancient setting of Atlantis, and it all looks much more flashy and quick, too.

But if I must choose, I prefer the original Milky Way Stargates. It feels more... real in a way. And the DHD's are sexier, too...

JSSHREVE
March 30th, 2007, 09:14 AM
i think ur right on an episode of SG Atlantis i thought i saw an adress from SG-1 just a Peguses Galaxy PoO

JSSHREVE
March 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM

i thought i saw a similar Adress Between SG-1 and SG-A ( ignore my first one i forgot the guote

JSSHREVE
March 30th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I dunno, I rather like the Pegasus StarGates, I like the whole "digital" style of the Pegasus 'Gates compared to the "analog" style of the Milky Way and Ida 'Gates. Like someone else said, it's easier to "spin" a few lights then spin a several dozen ton ring around.

The Dialing ring may not be several tons its weight is never actually mentioned in the show:sheppard:

Gemini
March 30th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I like both gate types, but I am eager to see the ori style...
After what we all saw with the supergates, those gates are the coolest, I guess.

greenscreen
April 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I was always rather confused about the six symbols stuff, I mean what happens if the points in between don't line up???

I dunno which gate I prefer, I like the spin and I like the new symbols.

greenscreen
April 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM
2500 HRS later

See THIRTY EIGHT MINUTES

Marcum/Stackhouse(unsure which is which) "ok, I think we're close enought to dial the gate" *dials the gate* >camera pans in on PJI's DHD<

See Also THIRTY EIGHT MINUTES

*Ford blows the rear hatch* >camera cuts to outside showing PJI with now retracted Engine Pods slowly passing through gate, Lines between dots on SG clearly visible as doted lines<

I was always under the impression that the PSG had lines but that may just becuase everyone in my family has a thing for details like that (not saying other people don't mind you, but my sister's one of the few people I know who'll notice on the first time that there were two apples in the basket a minute ago and now theres three...)

Mclean
June 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Euhm..Isn't each DHD different.

I think each DHD is different because of different Points of Origin for each planet. Basically the symbols are shifted around to make the PoO and address for the specific planet unique on the DHD.

I also like the SG-1 Stargate better as it looks crafted. The Atlantis Gate looks manufactured and has a sort of 'mass produced' feel about it.