This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis StarGate and StarGates in the Pegasus Galaxy

What's with the aqua/blue Chevrons with the Atlantis StarGate? I agree it looks somewhat cool, tho I like the orange/red that the old Version 1.0 StarGates in the Milkyway have.

I don't pariticularly like the light symbols spinning around.. its looks, i dunno, kind of old and lame... the nice spinning mechanical earth Stargate is somewhat cooler looking IMO. I dunno. What do other people think? It just makes me think of some crappy old style arcade game which just has lights light up fixed cutout symbols because it can't draw actual images using pixels. Remember those old style games? Or ancient style handheld games? Thats what it reminds me off... If it was a nice smooth spinning, maybe it'd look cool, but it just looks real crap IMO.

Anyone else notice the three little red orangy thingies that were attached to the orbiting stargate? I assume its some kind of propulsion system that keeps the stargate in proper orbit so it doesn't "drift off".

I totally dislike the 9 chevrons lighting up when only a 7 digit address was dialed, but this is already being discussed and debated in another thread...

I like it better...

you said "It just makes me think of some crappy old style arcade game which just has lights light up fixed cutout symbols because it can't draw actual images using pixels." but are you forgeting that the symbols represent constelations... they are just dots... they arent actual images...

and it is clearly more advanced... it lacks moving parts... so it can dial much faster... consume less energy...

and if you want to compare the gates to games... the original stargate reminds me of those old wind up toys... as for the blue color... thats just to go with the whole atlantis theme... you know the underwater city... yada yada yada...

Comment

my dad thinks the older one is better, because it seems old fashioned in a way...

i like the new one however =)

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
      Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
      Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

I admit the old style gate has this sort of antique charm to it. But as an Electrical Engineer, Superbright LEDs all the way!!!!

Comment

All technology grows better , and the ancients over time came up with a better gate.

capt

Comment

I don't know why but the Atlantis gate just looks a lot more breakable to me.

Comment

I think the new stargates are cool

I mean we're talking about the people who BUILT the stargates, don't you think maybe they would have a better one than the ones they sent out everywhere else?

or maybe the stargates are different in the pegasus galaxy

i don't know, but they are COOL!!!
              My top three favorite Atlantis characters:
              1. Maj. John Sheppard
              2. Dr. Beckett
              3. Dr. Elizabeth Weir

My top three favorite SG-1 characters:
              1. Dr. Daniel Jackson (hence the username)
              2. Tie: Maj. Samantha Carter, Colonel Jonathan 'Jack' O'Neill (duh)
              3. Jacob Carter

(and also, even though my name is Danny-boy, i am actually a girl who REALLY likes Daniel Jackson [and Jack called him that once])

Comment

Who knows? The new stargates may have suprising abilities that we haven't seen yet.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ImportRacer
                  and it is clearly more advanced... it lacks moving parts... so it can dial much faster... consume less energy...
                  Off-World gates in our galaxy seem to dial just as fast. Our gates look more Ancient... Although the Atlantis gates are cooler.

Comment

The only problem I have with the Atlantis gate is that the symbols aren't detailed enough, you can't really make out the symbol in a glance like the old gates. Check out Earths PoO on the Atlantis gate
                    *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                    McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

That symbol should have been the Atlantis PoO... it's more recognizable then the jumble of dots that is the Atlantis PoO.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                        That symbol should have been the Atlantis PoO... it's more recognizable then the jumble of dots that is the Atlantis PoO.
                        Yea, I agree
                        They maybe should have little glowing lines connecting the dots to give the symbols more shape. Because if u look at it from different angles, it just looks like a bunch of lights randomly placed.

Comment

The Atlantis StarGate is more unbreakable since it has less moving parts.....

And it doesnt take as much power to make lights show up then to spin a REALLY BIG ring around that weighs a few dozen tons.....

^ Earth Rules.

"And I hope noone forgot to feed my Rash'nak"

-Daniel, "Icon" Season 8 SG-1

Comment

Am I the only one that doesn't care about PoO? Since it's just a button that tells the gate "we are here" That could easily be done with a random signal or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                              Am I the only one that doesn't care about PoO? Since it's just a button that tells the gate "we are here" That could easily be done with a random signal or something else.
                              I don't care about the PoO either, I just think that all the symbols are too jumbled to really see. First time I saw the gate acitvate, I couldn't even make out one symbol.

Comment

Working...
                              X