Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a location for a new home for Gen Jack O'Neill spoilers for start of S9

Okay, so I'm sitting here in front of my computer, trying to start up a new fanfiction story, and I realize to myself - there is absolutely NO info on where Jack is currently living!

Okay, so we know that he's sold up his cabin and property around Colorado Springs, most likely pulling up stumps to move to Washington DC so he can settle in as the new commander of Homeworld Security - okay great, but where would a military-type working in the capital area actually LIVE?

Because I'm from another country and have no real idea of the layout and names of suburban areas around Washington, I'm looking for the likely places where a General like O'Neill, or any bureaucratic type that works in the capital, would actually buy up a property and live in, travelling from home into the city every day...

Just a name of a couple of suburbs or small towns where people like that live, maybe a rough transit time between that location and the heart of Washington, would be real great and I'd much appreciate it.

Mods, I don't know if this is the right section of the site to post something like this in, my apologies if it is not please move the post to the right area if it isn't. The reason why I didn't post this in the fanfiction section of GW... I thought more people would read and reply HERE

Regards to all,

Capt

Well, I'm glad this post is in the right area now, apologies to the mods... my bad

Now, anyone out there able to help me with this? I really would just like some suburb name around Washington DC, any one would do now...

Thanks everyone,

Capt

Comment

Here is the link to the Washington, DC subway called the Metro.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Note that the Pentagon is on the Virginia side of the Potomac River with a metro stop. Across the river is downtown DC known locally as "The District" as in the District of Columbia. When I say across the river I mean right across. The Potomac is 1/2 mile wide there. Think the Thames in London.

Because of traffic patterns and the fact that Jack works at the Pentagon, he would live on the Virginia side of the river. There are several close and lovely suburbs: Arlington, Pentagon City/Crystal City, McLean, and Alexandria.

Arlington/No. Arlington between 1-3 miles and 4-15 minutes to Pentagon same to Downtown would live in a house.
      Pentagon City/Crystal City...as long as it takes to walk/take one subway stop 10 minutes to the Pentagon and two stops to downtown same 10 minutes. he would live in an apartment.
      McLean..5 north miles pricey but 15 minutes to Pentagon, same to downtown by a different route. Would live in a condominium/townhouse because houses are too expensive or might rent as it's cheaper.
      Alexandria...6 miles south and 15-20 minutes from the Pentagon and has an old town dating from the 1700's and very trendy. About 8 miles from downtown. Maybe 15 minutes not in traffic, 25 minutes in traffic. Would buy a house and could afford a nice one.

For a map of the area:

http://www.mapblast.com/(onpc4555j1ufcv55wxxcxh45)/map.aspx?L=USA&C=38.89869%2c-77.03563&A=7.16667&P=|38.89869%2c-77.03563|1|1600+Pennsylvania+Ave+NW%2c+Washington%2c+DC+20006|L1|

you can move the center by clicking with the mouse cursor all over the map and zoom in and out. I centered it on the White House: 1600 Pennsylvania NW Washington DC 20006

enjoy

Livi2Jack...check out my fic Stargate Revealed in the Gateworld fanfic section. It's set in Washington. I describe many places in the fic. I know the area well.

http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...revealed4.html
      Last edited by Livi2Jack; 03 January 2006, 10:09 PM.
      Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

I don't think jack will be affected by houses at DC,He's a MAJOR general! Hmm, anyone have a idea how much a general earn monthly?

Comment

Originally posted by ray245
          I don't think jack will be affected by houses at DC,He's a MAJOR general! Hmm, anyone have a idea how much a general earn monthly?
          that's an interesting question...

would be good info to have, to know what kind of residence he would occupy. I dont think military types of any rank get all that much of a wage, when weighed up against other jobs. he woudln't be getting hazard bonus anymore...'cept maybe in case of severe paper-cuts

EDIT: Livi2Jack, I really appreciate all the information you've provided, thank-you very much!

Capt

Comment

Jack's salary as a Major General is in several parts. If you want to know payscales, you can google air force pay. I did and a General is above the GS ranks. The top of that payscale is $165,000/year. However, most government employees are limited to what a first year House of Representatives Member makes, approx $139,000. The official salary never gets paid.

But, in the military there are other additional compensations such as combat/hazard pay which Jack could get for going off world even to the Alpha Site/Gamma site. As Dir. Of Homeworld Security he would have jurisdiction over those. And so he would get a supplement for that.

In the military, they get a housing allowance. The amount depends on rank and location. Washington is considered to be a very expensive location. I know of an AF Major who gets $2000 extra a month for housing. As a Major General he would get more. However, if he buys a house the amount would be different than if he rents. And he is entitled to live on base. If he does, he would get a fine large house if one were available. Then his housing allowance would be reduced. A decent general worthy house in Northern Virginia where the Pentagon is rents for about $2500-4000/month plus utilities. He could get more house in Alexandria and still have a great commute. He could find something nice in North Arlington. Tough in McLean but possible, and a luxury apartment/condo in Crystal City/PentagonCity/Rosslyn.

Military members get PX privileges to buy things at a discount from the PX store on the bases. Even retired members retain this privilege.

His healthcare and many other benefits are also included. So judging what he makes also has to include tax consequences depending on his official domicile. Jack could make the case of Minnesota which has less taxes than Virginia.

The upshot of all this, is Jack can afford to live any place he wants, but not a multimillion dollar mansion. And trust me, he would not live in downtown DC.

Comment

Woah, again Livi2Jack, my hat goes off to you, appreciate all the excellent info very much!

I'm doing a fanfic story that's going to involve the now-Major General O'Neill, the Trust, the EU, the IOC, the Tok'ra, and a whole lot of backstabbin and intrigue, mostly based on Earth but with the possibility of going offworld

Should have the first chapter posted up on ff.net within 24hrs, and a link in my sigie to it soon therafter. The help is really great, too kind in helpin an Aussie get his info accurate!

Capt

Comment

My goodness. I would never have thought to go into so much detail. That's amazing!
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Question: I know Jack sold the house in Colorado Springs, but did he sell the cabin? I don't remember that in the back porch conversation with Landry. Also, my brother who lives in DC says a lot of the Pentagon brass live in Arlington.
                  "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                  it has it's own laws and beats about things
                  which the intellect scorns."
                  - Mark Twain -

Comment

No, he didn't sell the house in Minnesota. Yes, a lot of brass live in Arlington because it is right next to the Pentagon and directly across the river from 'the District.' However, houses in Arlington tend to be much older than in McLean or Alexandria. It varies. There is a lot of renovation of the older houses there because of the great location. However, the lots with those old areas are smaller than he could get in North Arlington, McLean, or Alexandria. And North Arlington north of I-66 is preferable butting up on McLean. But by that time and through that much traffic, Jack could enjoy Alexandria. It's nice, cheaper, and has an Old Town for trendy restaurants, shops, theatre, etc. Plenty of Brass live in Alexandria, believe me.

Comment

Working...
                    X