PDA

View Full Version : Quantum mirrors in Atlantis?

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Well i always wondered if the Atlantis team will ever find any QUANTUM MIRRORs? The Ancient obviously lived there so there should be some.
Would be nice if in any alterned reality the ancients weren't wipe out and would still be in tact :)

what you think?

Hellcat
July 18th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Would be a nice plot for an episode :)

But somehow I doubt they'll do it, ir if they do something will go terribly wrong :D

aaobuttons
July 18th, 2004, 04:43 AM
If they ever did it, it would have to be in season 2+. Enough time for us to know the characters and appreciate the differences represented in the alternate timeline.

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 05:39 AM
In SG-1 they did it in the end of session 1 and it was a briliant episode!

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 05:43 AM
I hope they stay away from AU and time travel.

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 05:45 AM
I hope not. It was always fun. btw what AU?

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Alternate Universes.

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Aha, i see. Well i see no reason why it should stay away.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 05:50 AM
I hate time travel because it usually involves some self fulfilling goal. Like 1969, while I loved the episode, the idea behind it sucks.

Some time it must have been the first time the SGC got started, and why would Hammond be there if he hadn't met SG1. And if he wasn't there, how could he send them back.

diskiller
July 18th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Alternate Universes.

Everytime i see AU i think AUSTRALIA! (Thats where i'm from ;)). Shouldn't it be AR or something, Alternate Reality is what they always called it in SG-1... not that i'm arguing, but still. I was confused as to what AU meant on here for a while. Surely you guys weren't talking about Australia that often ;)

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 05:51 AM
What is an Australia?:D

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Everytime i see AU i think AUSTRALIA! (Thats where i'm from ;)). Shouldn't it be AR or something, Alternate Reality is what they always called it in SG-1... not that i'm arguing, but still. I was confused as to what AU meant on here for a while. Surely you guys weren't talking about Australia that often ;)

LOL, I also first thought of Australia :p

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Well sometimes i feel there are really dump people on this planet :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) :p

diskiller
July 18th, 2004, 05:55 AM

*grin*

Janus
July 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Well sometimes i feel there really dump people on this planet :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) :p

You don't have to tell me that, the Netherlands is next to Belgium !
I rest my case ! :D

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 05:58 AM
You don't have to tell me that, the Netherlands is next to Belgium !
I rest my case ! :D

And you are? :cool:

IWantToBelieve
July 18th, 2004, 05:59 AM
I hope not. Those mirror episodes were so depressing.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Janus is one of my worshippers.

Janus
July 18th, 2004, 06:00 AM
And you are? :cool:

A Dutch guy, and beyond that....
That for me to know and for you to wonder...

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Aha, i see. I unfortunatly do not speak Dutch

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Ik ben GOD!

And I don't even know the language :D

Janus
July 18th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Janus is one of my worshippers.

I still have that Intar around here.
So don't tempt me....
And shouldn't it be TWO worshippers ?
Does this mean I get double pay, one check for each face ?

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Wo, wo, wo... Wait. This thread is supposed to be about Quantum Mirrors :)
So what are you talking about?

Janus
July 18th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Wo, wo, wo... Wait. This thread is supposed to be about Quantum Mirrors :)
So what are you talking about?

Details, details. ;)

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Well then just go on! :)

Jonas Quinn
July 18th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Well sometimes i feel there are really dump people on this planet :rolleyes:Who are "dump people?" Garbage men? People who take dumps?

Torley
July 18th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Haha... yes, the Ancients had Sanitation Engineers too, dintcha know! :)

Seriously though, I'm a sucker for a good time travel or alternate universe story -- when it's done badly, it's REALLY low but when crafted meticulously but with attention paid to the big picture, it's nice. I don't get wrapped up in trying to away the finer points because we're not exactly sure how it works for ourselves.

What if there was a mirror episode that was happier than SG-A's own reality, much happier, and it was like a tempting venus fly trap? Or what if they open a doorway to another city like theirs with full charged ZPMs and other goodies all lying around -- but of course, there's got to be a catch!

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Maybe they can use the Quantum Mirrior to go to an alternate reality were the Ancients weren't wiped out.

veneticuss
July 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Maybe they can use the Quantum Mirrior to go to an alternate reality were the Ancients weren't wiped out.

yEAH It would be a really good episode. Because they would be able to interfgere and so on. So they could have thought us or give us a couple of useful things :)

Manic
July 18th, 2004, 12:21 PM
That, my friend, would be sweet.

I'd like to see an Alternate Reality/Universe episode, but not a time travel episode. Time travel episodes always bring up the worst continuity errors. Plus you have to deal with paradoxical theories. Did traveling back in time cause events to happen as they were supposed to, or did it cause events to happen differently? If you meet someone you know in the past (but before they met you), how does that affect the first time you meet them and they already know you?

In my opinion, time travel episodes have to be written after watching every prior episode extensively... in one sitting. And I don't think any writer on Earth has that kind of patience.

veneticuss
July 19th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Well we've seen 1969 already

TechnoBoY
July 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM
I love time travel/alternate reality eps!

Was it the Ancients that built the Quantum Mirror? I dont think SG1 ever said that exactly right?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 08:03 AM
The only race that has shown any interest in it are the Ancients.

Janus
July 19th, 2004, 08:58 AM
The only race that has shown any interest in it are the Ancients.

Actually, In 'The Gamekeeper' Teal'c said the Goa'uld had tried to make temporal technology and failed.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:06 AM
They need to use the Mirrors to steal ZPM's from alternate dimensions where the ZPM being stolen isn't in use.

Risky, first they would have to travel to the mirror (which is destroyed), then jump reality then go undetected through ANY races territory, then go to Proclarus Theonas and steal that one, then go back.

And who's to say we have the right to do it.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Plus a trip that long wouldn't work unless your other self is dead.

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Was it the Ancients that built the Quantum Mirror? I dont think SG1 ever said that exactly right?
Nope. Any connection between the Ancients and the Quantum Mirror has never been as much as hinted at in the series. Pure speculation.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:09 AM
nvm

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:10 AM
It was hinted that it was made by the Ancients, I just don't remember what was said. Maybe something about the material the mirror was made of was the same as the gate?

Janus
July 19th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Nope. Any connection between the Ancients and the Quantum Mirror has never been as much as hinted at in the series. Pure speculation.

A bit more speculation.
Maybe it was the Furlings that build the QM.
That would explain why we haven't seen them.

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 09:12 AM
It was hinted that it was made by the Ancients, I just don't remember what was said. Maybe something about the material the mirror was made of was the same as the gate?
That doesn't mean much. The Ancients are not the only ones to have use naquadah - in fact, the Goa'uld seem to be the race that depends the most on it.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
That doesn't mean much. The Ancients are not the only ones to have use naquadah - in fact, the Goa'uld seem to be the race that depends the most on it.
Hey your the one who said it was never hinted, I'm just saying it was hinted.

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Hey your the one who said it was never hinted, I'm just saying it was hinted.
Indeed. I'm just saying, I don't see this hint.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Well I do. The Ancients built the gates in Naquadah, the Goa'uld figured out it seemed to be powerful, so they started using it. But the Goa'uld doesn't have the technology to go AR. That leaves us with the Nox, Furlings and Asgard. The Asgard doesn't seem to be creative enough to do it. The Nox, well we never know what they are up to. And we know nothing about the Furlings.

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
It doesn't have to be a race we've heard of, you know. It could have been made by whoever the goa'uld had wiped out on the planet where Daniel found the mirror for all we know.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Its just another one of those mysteries, but it is presumed by most that it was built by the Ancients.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:09 AM
It doesn't have to no, but I find it hard to believe that a race so advanced that they could change universe/reality, can't defend their own planet(s).

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 10:11 AM
True. Besides, the other artifacts found in the same room were clearly taken from other planets. So I don't believe the mirror was originally from there. I'm just saying, there are a lot of possibilities - the mirror could come from anywhere. Fact is, the show hasn't told us and we just don't really know.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Well if we aren't gonna discuss things that aren't proven on the show this forum would get real quiet really fast. Imagine all the Sam/Jack-threads for example :)

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 10:23 AM
NOOOOO
Not the Sam/Jack threads.
lol :D

I haven't even attempted to read them.

veneticuss
July 30th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Nor did i

Yu Huang Shang Ti
July 30th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Hopefully they'd do a different kind of AU story in Atlantis -- either alternate Ancients or the Furlings sounds nice. The reason why an alternate Atlantis modeled on our own probably wouldn't work? In "Point of View" we found out that most realities with a Stargate program ended up getting conquered by the Goa'uld, so it seems unlikely that very many of them have made it as far as the trip to Pegasus.

Not that that completely locks out the possibility of such a story, but the tendancy could be used to justify taking the AU concept in a different direction. Maybe the Furlings were like the Ancients, but seeded/watched over other dimensions instead of other planets, for example.

(Just as long as they don't bring up any Kromagg-type threats...)

KorbenDirewolf
July 30th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Or maybe it isn't the Tauri who find Atlantis...

langdonboom
July 30th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I think Naquada is just a metal that all space-faring/time-traveling/neutrino-absorbing races use. Its unique to us because it isn't found on earth. But I bet anyone who builds tech like that would be smart to use it because of its inhearant properties.

I'm of the opinion that the quantum mirror is not ancient, since the irradiated planet they found it on had stuff from all over the place. But either way, it hasn't been said that its ancient tech (though the hand device does seem to be *somewhat* similar to the jelly-hand-pads that the ancient chairs use... just not jelly).

Anyway, I'd love to see the race who made them.

AbydosTraveller
July 30th, 2004, 10:33 AM
In "Point of View" we found out that most realities with a Stargate program ended up getting conquered by the Goa'uld, so it seems unlikely that very many of them have made it as far as the trip to Pegasus.

If that we the case, and they went to a dimension where the world had been conquered by Goa'uld, it would be a lot easier to go through without suffering from... er... "temporal entropic cascade failure on the cellular level". (Assumption.)

So we don't know who built it, but isn't it safe to say that the Ancients would be very interested in such a device? They could have experimented on it (as it seems they like to so), and possibly made more. We don't know that the original Quantum Mirror was the only one, so for all we know there could be thousands of them out there.

Although, even mentioning something about the Furlings would be nice... :D We've all wondered who they REALLY are...

VirtualCLD
July 30th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Ah, but the Asgard use Neutronium, or is it Nutronium, not naquada.

langdonboom
July 30th, 2004, 11:36 AM
The asgard are just too cool for naquada. That doesn't mean other species are, too!!

Good point, though.

Teal'c
July 30th, 2004, 12:50 PM
There is absolutely no connection what-so-ever between the Ancients and the quantam mirror, none!

And the Asgard do use Naquada, the hull of the O'Neill was an alloy of Naquada, Trinium and Carbon.

DownFallAngel
July 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Is the QM a liquid naqudah reflection? Like the part Daniel touched, is that liquid Naquadah?

veneticuss
July 30th, 2004, 01:09 PM
There is absolutely no connection what-so-ever between the Ancients and the quantam mirror, none!

And the Asgard do use Naquada, the hull of the O'Neill was an alloy of Naquada, Trinium and Carbon.

Well, i thought those mirrors were build by the ancients? :eek:

Ugly Pig
July 30th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Well, i thought those mirrors were build by the ancients? :eek:
I believe Teal'c's point is that the show has never said that that was the case. And he's right. :)

veneticuss
July 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Well thats actually true. But if they are in our galaxy, why shouldnt they be in other galaxies? Any good explanation?

Ugly Pig
July 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Well thats actually true. But if they are in our galaxy, why shouldnt they be in other galaxies? Any good explanation?
Maybe there is only one mirror in each reality? In which case, there won't be any in other galaxies.

veneticuss
July 30th, 2004, 01:35 PM
And the Goaulds never found out how to use it?

Ugly Pig
July 30th, 2004, 01:37 PM
And the Goaulds never found out how to use it?
Well, if there is only one mirror in each reality then the Goa'uld don't have access to one.

veneticuss
July 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Well, the planet where they did find that mirror, was already conquered by the Goaulds. So obviousely they didnt know its purpose. But How Come?

DownFallAngel
July 30th, 2004, 02:02 PM
They probably overlooked it. Or, they just stepped through the gate, planted the wolf head thing, and left, after the planet had been bombarded with radiation.

Ancient 1
August 6th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Well i always wondered if the Atlantis team will ever find any QUANTUM MIRRORs? The Ancient obviously lived there so there should be some.
Would be nice if in any alterned reality the ancients weren't wipe out and would still be in tact :)

what you think?
Would that mean they could go to an alternate reality where the ancients never ,(or before they), ascended and therefore actually meet them? TPTB probably won't open that can of wormholes!