PDA

View Full Version : The Scourge (917)

Pages : 1 [2]

gateslacker
February 20th, 2006, 10:59 PM
And while I'm at it, I quite like Mitchell's character, I find him different from any other character we seen on SG-1 and he's funny. But hey that just seems to be me...:cameron:

No, not just you. I agree! I think he is a great addition and I actually like the idea of him being a bit of wild card...You never know what he is going to do or say next. As for this episode, to me it wasn't the greatest, nor was it the worst. But, I am not one for bugs. Never have been, never will be (maybe why I didn't really care for the replicators until they became interesting in season five's Menace...loved where they went with that which kindof goes to show, at least to me, that even the most boring plot element can turn into something WOW later on. But, I digress:cool: )

I think what really saved this ep for me were all the character moments. Sam and Woolsey, Mitchell and Teal'c, Daniel and the Chinese woman. And, although I am not one to favor the more political aspects of any show (yawn), I was somewhat interested in the political undercurrents in this one...well as much as I can be interested in things of a political nature

gateslacker
February 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah, this assessment works for me. I agree with you and UberSG-1Fan.

LOL..off topic but when I read your definition of Fargater, I wondered what you would call a rabid Stargate fan who watched Farscape once she learned that BB and CB were joining the show and is now a fan of both shows.

Starscaper, perhaps? ;)

Formerhost
February 21st, 2006, 04:21 AM
LOL..off topic but when I read your definition of Fargater, I wondered what you would call a rabid Stargate fan who watched Farscape once she learned that BB and CB were joining the show and is now a fan of both shows.

Starscaper, perhaps? ;)

But Star can be also for StarTrek or StarWars... ;)

Zoser
February 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM
That's kind of how I saw things too. They probably felt there was no real need to bring along zat guns, so they just strapped on their normal old sidearms. Afterall, it was supposed to just be a tour of their base, not a mission of life or death.:)
Every mission can be one of life and death. How many 'milk runs' have turned to hell in a handbasket. Like boyscouts they should always be prepared.

Zoser
February 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM
I guess I thought Teal'c was the only one who ever carried a zat on a regular basis. But then, I'm not the most observant of individuals. I also thought zats only showed up when the Goa'uld were around (their ships, their planets, their Jaffa, etc.). With the Goa'uld out of power for the most part, there would be less appearance of their type of weapons. As this base was an SGC site (with no apparant indigenous population on the planet), I would have been a little surprised to see the zats and/or staff weapons. But perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention.
Carter regularly carried one see "Paradise Lost" and "Forsaken" for example.
Some of us are observant and love each little detail.

Swiss
February 21st, 2006, 07:43 AM
What if they didn't carry Zats because Zats are a military secret and are not to be seen by the diplomats?

Jonzey
February 21st, 2006, 09:12 AM
What if they didn't carry Zats because Zats are a military secret and are not to be seen by the diplomats?
That's what I said a few pages back. I don't recall ever seeing a zat present where the IOA members were (in any episode).

uknesvuinng
February 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM
That's what I said a few pages back. I don't recall ever seeing a zat present where the IOA members were (in any episode).
Have we seen any IOA members on an offworld tour before? Honestly, I don't even recall previous episodes with actual IOA members present (Woosley excluded, but he would already know about zats anyway).

DEM
February 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Honestly, I don't even recall previous episodes with actual IOA members present (Woosley excluded, but he would already know about zats anyway).Fourth Horseman 2, uknesvuinng. In the SGC conference room. LaPierre and our old friend Col Chekov were in attendance.

uknesvuinng
February 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM
Fourth Horseman 2, uknesvuinng. In the SGC conference room. LaPierre and our old friend Gen Chekov were in attendance.

Hmm, a rather forgettable moment apparently. The whole episode was rather forgettable to me, really.

General Chekov is also aware of zats. I'm not really sure how the IOA would be unaware of zats, now that I think of it. It's kinda hard not to mention them in the mission reports.

DEM
February 21st, 2006, 09:38 AM
Hmm, a rather forgettable moment apparently. The whole episode was rather forgettable to me, really.Yes, me too. My synopsis of FH2: Cam & Danny do a comedy routine for Cigarette Smoking Prior, Carter babysits shrunken!not!Orlin, and Gerak blows up.

I only knew that I had seen LaPierre before, and then went and searched episode guides for him.

The more I think about it, the less the "hide the technology" theory works for me.

gateslacker
February 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM
But Star can be also for StarTrek or StarWars... ;)
LOL...well, there is that:o

immhotep
February 21st, 2006, 11:56 AM
i really liked this episode, totally reminicent of the old days. great eam spirit, and a brilliant return of the scarrab beetle than inspired my online alias!
but really it was one of the best standalone episdoes ive seen(that are based only on like one planet sorta thing), not quite as good as alliegence or the warrior, but beats prodedgy and the cure.
really good episode, will hopefully silence alot of the critics of S9 bout it not being like the old days, this was by far the most old school SG1 has been since the days of 'the warrior'.

Immhotep

uknesvuinng
February 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM
this was by far the most old school SG1 has been since the days of 'the warrior'.

At least "The Warrior" had zats... :D

Elite Anubis Guard
February 21st, 2006, 12:02 PM
OK, I was expecting a really crappy episode but I rather enjoyed this. Had the bugs not been related to the Ori at all and this would have been a helluva stand alone.

I really enjoyed the "screwed" feel of the episode. Good team moments. Enjoyed Teal'c/Cam interaction, as well as Sam/Woolsey interaction. Lol, I couldn't help but laugh at them watching Starship Troopers. Also was nice to see Danny using his linguistics again.

I hope we see more of the chinese lady sometime. Interesting foreshadowing.

immhotep
February 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
At least "The Warrior" had zats... :D
no it didnt?! alliegence did but if you look very carefully the zat wasnt used once in the warrior!

bcfc
February 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
I agree that this was stargate of old for once good team chemistry and some other interesting characters. The bugs didnt really impress me seems a bit stupid for the Ori, although I liked the conversation between Teal'c and Mitchell about him finding his own place.

Good stand alone episode.

:jack: :tealc: :sam: :daniel:

uknesvuinng
February 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM
no it didnt?! alliegence did but if you look very carefully the zat wasnt used once in the warrior!
I seem to recall quite a few zats, though maybe not any used.

warmbeachbrat
February 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
I hate to beat a dead horse (really, I'm the most non-violent person!), but I'm still not thinking that those members of SG-1 outside of Teal'c regularly carried zats. I remember thinking any number of times that zats would be better than guns because you could stun a person instead of kill them and, really wouldn't that be better because the Tau'ri were more considerate of taking a life than the Jaffa? Yet there they were, episode after episode blasting away with their projectile weapons. Sure they used the zats--but I mostly remember them using those types of weapons while prowling around on Goa'uld motherships, Alkesh's, Goa'uld-ruled worlds, and whatnot. Replicators--good old projectile weapons (forgive me for not knowing the names of them--conversant with military firearms I am not). And the last couple of seasons it seems like less and less reliance on Jaffa type weapons from the SGC.

I'm not sure why they would make a point of taking them on this mission anyway. Why would they? Completely off topic, but did the Asgard have personal weapons?

immhotep
February 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM
no the asgard dont have personal weapons, they have personal cloaks but not weapons...
why didnt they use grenades...?!

AndyStargateUK
February 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
This was a good episode.

And before anyone says but it's just a copy of other plots lets not forget the fantastic Battlestar Gallatica we watch now is a copy of the 1978 version (reimaging is the loose term used for copying in this case), and there was a 1980 version so todays BSG is really a copy of a copy. Does any one mind? No. So why should people really mind about this episode, it's a good stand alown episode. We get to see the team build some more ties and Woolsey level out a bit more rather than being totally hostile to the SGC.

Good bits
The look on the Chinese diplomats face and the rest of the SG1 team when they find Mitchell can understand what Daniel and the Chinese diplomat has just said.
The way the French guy calls R75 'a space bug' and the scientist repeats it with an ovious distaste of the term space bug.
Carrying on the French guy then procedes to tap the containment glass further annoying the scientist.
Teal'c wishing he had stayed with the tour while Mitchell and Jackson argue over politics.
Teal'c emptying the canteen of corndogs by taking out the plate they are displayed on for people to take individual servings, also it seems he has put on one salad leaf to try and look healthy as the shot focuses on him.
Daniel just barging in onto the Chinese diplomat.
The conversation between Daniel and the Chinese diplomat about how China feels about the Stargate programme.
Dr Lee and Landry where Landry shows no interest in why Dr Lee doesn't like bugs.
The talk of the Chinese governments 'plan of action' , sounds interesting , especially since the diplomat has said she will talk to Daniel when they are back on Earth.
While Teal'c and Mitchell are talking and Teal'c says he wants to watch Old School when he gets back.
The French guy having a major stress out at Sam, she handles it well , also she deals with Woolsey well too.
The way Mitchell says , so 'you got framed for murder, you can't let one bad experiance put you off' to Teal'c in order to try and get him to have another chance at getting an apartment and Teal'c rebuffing the offer.
The fact that Woolsey mellows out after experiancing what SG1 and the SGC go through, and the way Sam handles him is well done too.
The starship troppers reference at the end, it shows even the writers are willing to poke fun at themselves with a bit of humour and link it in to one of the guests on the show.

Questions raised.
So it seems the bug is of Prior creation , what else are they planning to do in the future now they can't use a virus to target, it seems they can no longer directly threaten human life so are threating food supplies etc.
Do the Chinese really intend to challenge the US for control of the Stargate programme. At the end we are told the Chinese diplomat is on indefinite leave, but that doesn't stop her meeting with Dr Jackson, perhaps she is a spy who is meant to try and form a relationship with him, or have the Chinese found some technology in China to help them obtain some sort of influence.
Daniel didn't tell anyone else about what the Chinese diplomat at the end in the breifing , he also disagreed with Mitchell over the gate treaty, does he sympathise with the Chinese situation?
The Priors seem to be getting ready for something big to happen according to the beginning of the show, are they trying to open another supergate perhaps or is something else big going to happen perhaps?

Neutral points.
Two episodes out of twenty is more than enough times for SG1 to be rescued just in time by the Oddessy.

Bad points.
Why did Landry assume SG1 would be dead with everyone else, surely before releasing a neurotoxin you would try and check the planet for any one left behind, especially your top team.
Wouldn't Daniel think to tell Landry about the Chinese threat however unlikely it be, or maybe there is something more to this?

As for the bug thing being used before in other tv/films see my opening thoughts. :)

Lets not forget the real reason for the low amount spent on CGI for the bugs , the SG writers and everyone else involved are oviously saving the pennys for some upcoming special CGI probably , it happens in all fixed budget shows, one or two get the low cost treatment / action takes place in only one or two fixed locations in order to save money to blow it all on a **** star episode. Not long till we find out what they spent all the money on I guess.

Albion
February 21st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Surprisingly enough - I liked this. Mitchell didn't irritate me. Well...not often. I even laughed at his jokes. I enjoyed the humour, the banter, the team, the fact that it wasn't pretending to be anything other than a good offworld romp in the best tradition of the show. I even warmed to Landry, for once.

It wasn't an A class episode when laid beside most of the past eight years' crop, but it didn't suck either.

My brain wasn't engaged at all, it was fairly lightweight hokum - but, hey, who cares? And for the first time all season I got the sense that SG1 were in actual, physical danger, which was definitely another bonus.

Nitpicks - making the pain in the ass French was a cheap shot. And plotwise, it was a bit of a copy of Prodigy. But it had enough freshness about it that I didn't mind that half as much as I thought I might. Or the Mummy overtones, either. They got away with it, I think. The bugs were cool and I liked the way it was set up with the meatloaf.

The other thing which bugged me (no pun intended) was what I predicted long ago. That having ships and Asgard transporters would reduce any dramatic tension and make solving problems offworld way too easy for the team. I'd have liked to have seen a more inventive way of rescuing them.

But all in all - was almost like old times. Not quite. But almost. And one of the few episodes I've enjoyed this year.

Albion :)

DEM
February 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM
I hate to beat a dead horse (really, I'm the most non-violent person!), but I'm still not thinking that those members of SG-1 outside of Teal'c regularly carried zats.No, Carter routinely carries a zat. Don't let that thigh holster fool you: She normally wears one that is specially designed to hold a zat, not a Tauri handgun.

In Endgame Carter and Daniel had zats -- drawn and ready for action -- when they busted into that rogue NID warehouse. Carter wore a zat in Covenant, Good to be King, and Reckoning.

Even Fifth outfitted Replicarter with a zat (see the simulation within a simulation in Gemini)!

The only ep in S8 -- episodes 8-17 -- in which Carter went on a mission armed but without a zat was Full Alert. I didn't look at screencaps for Threads and Moebius because... just no. I can't go back any further right now; I don't have time.

I remember thinking any number of times that zats would be better than guns because you could stun a person instead of kill them and, really wouldn't that be better because the Tau'ri were more considerate of taking a life than the Jaffa? Yet there they were, episode after episode blasting away with their projectile weapons.I would guess that's because: 1) the middle of a pitched battle in which you are outnumbered (as SG-1 often is) is generally not the time to plan to engage in proselytizing, 2) zats are slower weapons than submachine guns.

Replicators--good old projectile weapons (forgive me for not knowing the names of them--conversant with military firearms I am not).Replicators could only be stopped by projectile weapons.

Note that just because Carter uses her P90, that doesn't mean she isn't also carrying a zat. See Reckoning, for instance.

I'm not sure why they would make a point of taking them on this mission anyway. Because.Carter and Teal'c Normally Carry Them. I understand that you don't believe that, but that's the answer you're going to continue to get from people who do believe/know it. :o

Why would they?Look at it this way: Why would they carry guns on a tour at all?

warmbeachbrat
February 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Okay--thanks for the info!

warmbeachbrat
February 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM
no the asgard dont have personal weapons, they have personal cloaks but not weapons...
why didnt they use grenades...?!

Hmmm--good question! I wonder if it wouldn't be focused enough to destroy many of the bugs. They did use C4, but only as a warning system, not as a way of destroying them.

(and thanks for the answer re: the Asgard)

LoveYouBaby
February 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM
I thought this episode was interesting.

FINALLY! A CHINESE - I thought Stargate will never feature them ever again!

Anyway, this episode was cool in that it's like one disaster after another (the French delegate, lol they do like their individualistic nature), poor guys, lol - interesting protocol, this CR91, but all life would be extinguished, and thus all ecosystems would be wiped out, as it's a neural toxin and will affect all fauna life, without any means of sustainability on that planet, flora will slowly die and that planet of the former site of the Gamma Site will be a wasteland.

How could SGC do that? But the ramification of not doing anything is equally as bad too I guess.

This ep worth an 8.5 IMO.

It certainly was like "Starship Troopers" and it would be interesting for the Stargate Program to fall under China's jurisdiction. It'll add a cool twist to the series.

Chaka's_Mum
February 22nd, 2006, 03:16 AM
Surprisingly enough - I liked this. Mitchell didn't irritate me. Well...not often. I even laughed at his jokes. I enjoyed the humour, the banter, the team, the fact that it wasn't pretending to be anything other than a good offworld romp in the best tradition of the show. I even warmed to Landry, for once.

It wasn't an A class episode when laid beside most of the past eight years' crop, but it didn't suck either.

My brain wasn't engaged at all, it was fairly lightweight hokum - but, hey, who cares? And for the first time all season I got the sense that SG1 were in actual, physical danger, which was definitely another bonus.

Nitpicks - making the pain in the ass French was a cheap shot. And plotwise, it was a bit of a copy of Prodigy. But it had enough freshness about it that I didn't mind that half as much as I thought I might. Or the Mummy overtones, either. They got away with it, I think. The bugs were cool and I liked the way it was set up with the meatloaf.

The other thing which bugged me (no pun intended) was what I predicted long ago. That having ships and Asgard transporters would reduce any dramatic tension and make solving problems offworld way too easy for the team. I'd have liked to have seen a more inventive way of rescuing them.

But all in all - was almost like old times. Not quite. But almost. And one of the few episodes I've enjoyed this year.

Albion :)

Same as what Albion said - especially that bit about the Odyssey. Could someone evacuate the crew and blow the wretched thing up, please? It so takes away all the panache of a whizz-bang SG-1 Escape-From-Mortal-Danger-In-The-Nick-Of-Time when all it needs is someone to press a button from orbit to save the day.

Mind you, at least they knew she was coming this time around and actually had to signal her to stop themselves being neuro-toxinned to death before they could be beamed to safety - and the only way to get the signal out got the bugs excited. I suppose they get away with it this time. Just this once, mind!

scarimor
February 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
... They did use C4, but only as a warning system, not as a way of destroying them.

That was C4? The explosions look a bit wimpy for C4 to me, given the size of the packs... any explosives experts here who can correct me? :hammondanime03:

Pamplemousse of France
February 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
I just saw "The Scourge". I think it is the worst episode of the entire show. Full of clichés: the Chinese representative is nice and attractive to show the growing importance of China in the world, the English one is colourless and odourless like a good allie of the US, and the French one is grumpy and coward.
The story is pathetic, and the end is predictable, the Asgard beaming system is a threat to a good end.
2/20 not more.
The only thing I hope is that the "Chinese representative-Daniel" story will continue and bring us to an interesting thing in the next seasons.

AndyStargateUK
February 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
That was C4? The explosions look a bit wimpy for C4 to me, given the size of the packs... any explosives experts here who can correct me? :hammondanime03:
It's a good point, when they used the C4 I thought if that's how powerful it is , despite them using at least six large blocks I wondered what the point of it was, I thought that amount of C4 should have been much more powerful.

LoveYouBaby
February 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
I just saw "The Scourge". I think it is the worst episode of the entire show. Full of clichés: the Chinese representative is nice and attractive to show the growing importance of China in the world, the English one is colourless and odourless like a good allie of the US, and the French one is grumpy and coward.
The story is pathetic, and the end is predictable, the Asgard beaming system is a threat to a good end.
2/20 not more.
The only thing I hope is that the "Chinese representative-Daniel" story will continue and bring us to an interesting thing in the next seasons.

It sucked cos it seem like the French were treated badly. I don't think it was intentional, the French has always been individualistic, proud people! But in the eyes of the US (and the Government), well... they had to bash the French somehow.

Uber
February 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
It sucked cos it seem like the French were treated badly. I don't think it was intentional, the French has always been individualistic, proud people! But in the eyes of the US (and the Government), well... they had to bash the French somehow.Hey there...hi there...ho there...

I'm an American...I love France (got to go there in 1989) and I have French friends too. So I'm not sure you want to make such a sweeping generalization about the US.

AndyStargateUK
February 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
It sucked cos it seem like the French were treated badly. I don't think it was intentional, the French has always been individualistic, proud people! But in the eyes of the US (and the Government), well... they had to bash the French somehow.

It was funny when he termed the insect saying 'so it's a space bug', the look of annoyance on the scientist was good.
From an English point of view the idea that confronted on a planet full of flesh eating bugs the English diplomat would just stand around in the cave and barely do anything unlike the others seemed a bit odd, they should have given a few of the French guys lines to the English diplomat so as to not make it look like the French guy is the only whinny one amongst them.

France is a nice place to visit as well.

ChillinTheMost
February 22nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
Put me in the "Loved It" category for this episode.

I loved all the interaction with Mitchell: Mitchell with Daniel, Mitchell with Teal'c, Mitchell with Sam. Good stuff.

There may have been some inconsistencies with the bugs and I wondered why the team just stood there when they ran out of ammunition at the end instead of running inside the building and gaining at least a few seconds more in the hopes of being beamed up, but, it was so much fun, I really don't care.

Anyway, I loved the episode for the interaction. Sorry some others aren't enjoying the season as much as I am!

LoveYouBaby
February 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Hey there...hi there...ho there...

I'm an American...I love France (got to go there in 1989) and I have French friends too. So I'm not sure you want to make such a sweeping generalization about the US.

Of course!

Socially-speaking, France love American tourists, that's true!

But politically-speaking, American ideals conflict with the interests of the French, like look at McDonald's or Disneyland. The French don't like being told where to go, what to do. They are renowned and brilliantly famous for being opinionated!

Lord Shiva
February 22nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
That was my thought, and I have to say I hate it. Everytime the Ori are mentioned, or the Ori do something, or someone makes reference to something the Ori have said, I have to wonder exactly why tptb are so pissed off at religion.

Um... seasons 1-8. System Lords. Pretending to be Gods. That's just as bad as the Ori, except that in their case, they are Gods.

Bugs crawling out of someone's mouth is one of the most disgusting things ever.

Does that give the episode a negative mark?

Dani347
February 23rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Um... seasons 1-8. System Lords. Pretending to be Gods. That's just as bad as the Ori, except that in their case, they are Gods.

Um, season 1-8 I saw a clear distinction in the fact that the Goa'uld were pretending. Plus, I never heard the Goa'uld preaching. Feel free to disagree, but my opinion stands.

Does that give the episode a negative mark?

It gives that scene a disgusting mark.

warmbeachbrat
February 23rd, 2006, 05:47 AM

My previously admitted ignorance showing! I meant whatever plastic explosives they placed around the field station. C-4 is the only one I've ever heard of, so I used that name. I'm open to being educated on the subject.

Zoser
February 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Yo - American here - mom's side is French decent and I was offended. Not only the characterization was insulting and so very cliche. Just another result of the abysmal writing.

Skydiver
February 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Now, about the story... WHY DID THEY BLOW UP THE F-302's? That could have been a wonderful escape not involving beaming. But no, they blow it up 5 minutes after suggesting it, and revert to beaming them out at the last second, AGAIN. It's not good when beaming out is used in 2 episodes when the ship involved has only been around for as many episodes. Will they beam out every episode now? Maybe we can start having a pool, wagering on when they will beam out in each episode.

cause then they'd have to deal with the plot hole of the 302 being a 2 seater and of the 8 people on that planet, only 3 of them are pilots (cam, sam and teal'c)

which means either folks woulda been sitting on others laps or 2 of them woulda have to say behind

Uber
February 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
cause then they'd have to deal with the plot hole of the 302 being a 2 seater and of the 8 people on that planet, only 3 of them are pilots (cam, sam and teal'c)

which means either folks woulda been sitting on others laps or 2 of them woulda have to say behindMight have added some depth or angst though if that's all they had...rather than the "beam me up and we all win" scenario.

What if there had been no science station 10k away? What if all they had on their side were the F302s?

Dani347
February 23rd, 2006, 06:29 PM
How many people does an F302 sit? And, how many planes were on the planet? And, would they have 2 pilots in one, with one for backup, or would both be flying the plane at the same time?

I'm horribly ignorant about this kind of thing.

Skydiver
February 23rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
I think it was "How long do you think they can hold back the bugs?"
the answer?

for the rest of your life

Skydiver
February 23rd, 2006, 06:53 PM
Might have added some depth or angst though if that's all they had...rather than the "beam me up and we all win" scenario.

What if there had been no science station 10k away? What if all they had on their side were the F302s?
then they shoulda got into them first, just as teh bugs were over running the base and evaced everyone to the far side of the planet instead of hanging out trying to squash all the bugs on their own

course then they woulda had to deal wtih a much larger cast/crew and there'd be no reason to shoot all those guns and stuff :)

PG15
February 23rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
the answer?

for the rest of your life

:zelenka25:

Skydiver
February 23rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
How many people does an F302 sit? And, how many planes were on the planet? And, would they have 2 pilots in one, with one for backup, or would both be flying the plane at the same time?

two, no idea how many and usually there's a front seat and back seat, but like we saw in covenant, the person in the back seat doesn't have to be a pilot. the craft only needs one at a time

course, if they'd had a puddle jumper or shuttle, that coulda worked

hey, they coulda taken a PJ and then homaged Galileo 7 instead of Mummy :D

uknesvuinng
February 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM

2 people per F-302, 2 F-302's (Mitchell and Teal'c can't fly back more than 2)

Total capacity 4

Number of people 8

It'd take 3 trips (2 pilots, 6 to be transports besides, 2 open spots for travel)

At least one trip would leave 2 IOA members alone without a member of SG-1 defending

Ideally, the first trip would take 2 IOA members since the destination should be safe from bugs. The next two trips could be 2 IOA followed by 2 SG-1, or two sets of 1 IOA 1 SG-1. The second would keep communication and military (or at least Daniel) presence with both groups for the greatest period of time. All this assumes nothing crazy happens at the "safe" destination. Then there's just the problem of getting off the planet.

It could have been a good plan, and filled with it's own issues without playing the Oddessy beam-out-at-last-second card (though a beam out would have still been necessary to leave the planet, but I could have dealt with that)

majorsal
February 23rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Daniel didn't tell anyone else about what the Chinese diplomat at the end in the breifing , he also disagreed with Mitchell over the gate treaty, does he sympathise with the Chinese situation?

spoilers for s10

hmm.... might this be the controversial arc for daniel in season 10? maybe he defects to the chinese stargate program?

sally :)

scarimor
February 24th, 2006, 01:43 AM
spoilers for s10

hmm.... might this be the controversial arc for daniel in season 10? maybe he defects to the chinese stargate program?

sally :)

I believe it's Daniel turning Shol'va because of Ori influence... potentially

Jonzey
February 24th, 2006, 01:55 AM

which means either folks woulda been sitting on others laps or 2 of them woulda have to say behind
Mitchell said they'd ferry them to a safe place. Meaning they'd take some, then go back and collect the others.

No plot hole.

Skydiver
February 24th, 2006, 04:28 AM
2 people per F-302, 2 F-302's (Mitchell and Teal'c can't fly back more than 2)

Total capacity 4

Number of people 8

It'd take 3 trips (2 pilots, 6 to be transports besides, 2 open spots for travel)

At least one trip would leave 2 IOA members alone without a member of SG-1 defending

Ideally, the first trip would take 2 IOA members since the destination should be safe from bugs. The next two trips could be 2 IOA followed by 2 SG-1, or two sets of 1 IOA 1 SG-1. The second would keep communication and military (or at least Daniel) presence with both groups for the greatest period of time. All this assumes nothing crazy happens at the "safe" destination. Then there's just the problem of getting off the planet.

It could have been a good plan, and filled with it's own issues without playing the Oddessy beam-out-at-last-second card (though a beam out would have still been necessary to leave the planet, but I could have dealt with that)
sam can fly a 302. so you have to figure that in the equation, three pilots, 5 passengers

Skydiver
February 24th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Mitchell said they'd ferry them to a safe place. Meaning they'd take some, then go back and collect the others.

No plot hole.
which could have brought up a whole new situation. if the three people best suited to defending the delegates are also the folks that have to take them to safety.....who stays behind with the last two? and who would those last two be?

uknesvuinng
February 24th, 2006, 07:45 AM
sam can fly a 302. so you have to figure that in the equation, three pilots, 5 passengers
Yes, but she wasn't with them on the initial trip for F-302s. She would have to trek over there herself or be flown over there to pick up a third F-302.

Skydiver
February 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Yes, but she wasn't with them on the initial trip for F-302s. She would have to trek over there herself or be flown over there to pick up a third F-302.
good point

Dani347
February 24th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Ack!:eek: All this sounds like those blasted word problems in math. Or like that riddle where you have to cart a wolf, a duck, and some flour across a bridge without losing any.

GhostPoet
February 24th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I'm marking this down as one of my all time favorite episodes. I could easily watch it again :)

DEM
February 24th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ack!:eek: All this sounds like those blasted word problems in math. Or like that riddle where you have to cart a wolf, a duck, and some flour across a bridge without losing any.Heh. It's like Carter's solution in Holiday.

I was hoping that uknesvuinng would do us the favour of mapping out a plan that includes Carter -- with the condition that she couldn't walk back to the main site. :mckayanime09:

uknesvuinng
February 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Heh. It's like Carter's solution in Holiday.

I was hoping that uknesvuinng would do us the favour of mapping out a plan that includes Carter -- with the condition that she couldn't walk back to the main site. :mckayanime09:
What do you mean specifically? Didn't I pretty much do that already?

DEM
February 24th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I mean... uh, be specific. As in "All right, it's a little complicated, so I need you to do exactly as I say. We're going to have to play a little musical chairs with your bodies. First, Colonel, you and Ma'chello will switch...."

Oh! And I meant "includes Carter flying one of the 302s -- but she doesn't walk to the base to get it."

Or, ignore me cuz I'm being a dork. ;)

uknesvuinng
February 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I mean... uh, be specific. As in "All right, it's a little complicated, so I need you to do exactly as I say. We're going to have to play a little musical chairs with your bodies. First, Colonel, you and Ma'chello will switch...."

Oh! And I meant "includes Carter flying one of the 302s -- but she doesn't walk to the base to get it."

Or, ignore me cuz I'm being a dork. ;)

Well, it wouldn't make much sense to switch out pilots without good reason. Sam does however have the greatest US military stargate experience, and so it would make sense that she should be the last SG-1 member out of the danger zone, as her cool head and leadership skills are needed to keep the delegates safe. Teal'c would be a good choice too, but I imagine the IOA members would be rather uncooperative, having an alien ordering them around, even if Teal'c has the most stargate and military experience by far. Mitchell shouldn't even be in command of a JROTC group, although he was a little less immature in this episode.

DarkQuee1
February 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Sigh. It's a sad commentary on season 9 when one of the best eps is a basically dumb, plothole-filled, logic-impaired oversized-cockroach SciFi creature feature (this ep could be centerpiece of SciFi's Saturday night schedule. :jack: ). With loads of questions. Just a few examples:

Why are the civilian visitors always idiots?

Why did the bugs, after coming up from underground and getting the second guard with the group, ignore Our Heroes, standing right there and go back underground? (Sure, maybe there's a reason. But it's *their* job to tell us what it is, not *our* job to invent explanations).

Why are Cam and Teal'c just tramping along talking out loud, since that seems to be locator beacons for the bugs? And why are they not attacked? Even when we get all that rumbling underfoot?

Why is Sam automatically left behind at the cave (without even a discussion), and not the civilian of the team, Daniel? Rampant sexism? We know she's a marks(wo)man, and Daniel isn't. She's military; he isn't. She's "co-leader" (yeah, I know, dumb concept); he isn't. Etc.

Why do we suddenly have convenient "locator" devices--which we all know will, of course, not function when the plot device bunny needs them not to?

Why is Daniel suddenly back to being ivory tower, when he's seemed to move to a more practical, hardheaded approach this year? It's all the military's fault that we aren't giving China alien weaponry?? Yeah, like even civilians couldn't see the reason for that. (Maybe, since the Chinese are getting a free ride on the program, letting the US have all the expense and take all the risk, we should ask them to pony up $40 billion for the program this far, and $10 billion a year for the future, if they want more goodies? And she's making threats? Are they planning on invading the US and taking it?)

And so on, and so forth.

Best part of the ep: Teal'c telling Cam that what a friend is for, is to pay attention when someone says, "Don't bother." Yes! Way to go, Teal'c.

PG15
February 24th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I'll try to answer some of these.

Why are the civilian visitors always idiots?

Well, they're not ALWAYS idiots, look at that civillian audit guy from Zero Hour.

Why did the bugs, after coming up from underground and getting the second guard with the group, ignore Our Heroes, standing right there and go back underground? (Sure, maybe there's a reason. But it's *their* job to tell us what it is, not *our* job to invent explanations).

Simple, they didn't hear them. The bugs rely on sound, so that's why Mitch told everyone to hush up. To the bugs, there was noone there, so they simply returned to where they usually live - underground.

Why are Cam and Teal'c just tramping along talking out loud, since that seems to be locator beacons for the bugs? And why are they not attacked? Even when we get all that rumbling underfoot?

I thought they were whispering...hmmm....no idea.

Why is Sam automatically left behind at the cave (without even a discussion), and not the civilian of the team, Daniel? Rampant sexism? We know she's a marks(wo)man, and Daniel isn't. She's military; he isn't. She's "co-leader" (yeah, I know, dumb concept); he isn't. Etc.

Because you want one of your best people protecting the valuable members of the IOA.

And, just in case the others didn't make it back, you'll still be left with a high-ranking officer who knows what she's doing.

Why do we suddenly have convenient "locator" devices--which we all know will, of course, not function when the plot device bunny needs them not to?

We had them ever since Off the Grid, which was caused by the events of Ethon, when Daniel's older beacon was separated from him. So, after that they learned their lesson and implanted the beacons into their actual person.

Makes perfect sense to me. The real plot hole is that they never thought of that in the first place.

Why is Daniel suddenly back to being ivory tower, when he's seemed to move to a more practical, hardheaded approach this year? It's all the military's fault that we aren't giving China alien weaponry?? Yeah, like even civilians couldn't see the reason for that. (Maybe, since the Chinese are getting a free ride on the program, letting the US have all the expense and take all the risk, we should ask them to pony up $40 billion for the program this far, and $10 billion a year for the future, if they want more goodies? And she's making threats? Are they planning on invading the US and taking it?)

Well, I'm sure Danny has always been the "Ivory Tower", but when's the last time he had to deal with foreign delegates?

And for your information, we've been making decisions for the entire planet for the last 9 years. It's about time other country gets to have a say in the matter.

cbh
February 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet as I haven't read through all of the posts yet but I have a pet peeve and it is definately episodes like this that hit it right on the head. I think it is definately a hollywood kind of thing. Not too many people get to experiance explosions first hand but the whole ending of this with the C4 bricks irriatates me.

ONE brick of C4 that size could have easily leveled a building, let alone how many they placed around them. I can't blame this show in particular because I don't remember too many shows or movies that have actually shown explosives the way they should be. Like hand grenades for instance....they dont just knock two people back and make a little noise when they explode... they have a 5 meter kill radius and a 15 meter casualty radius. Thank goodness they didn't use any in this episode or I would have died. And Im not even going to start with how the explosions were perfectly round columns straight into the air.

I don't think this was one of the better episodes at all.

The Shadow
February 24th, 2006, 04:07 PM
That was my thought, and I have to say I hate it. Everytime the Ori are mentioned, or the Ori do something, or someone makes reference to something the Ori have said, I have to wonder exactly why tptb are so pissed off at religion.

Bugs crawling out of someone's mouth is one of the most disgusting things ever. Bugs crawling under someone's skin is another one. The only good thing about the bugs is that when they ate the people they didn't leave anything. I don't think I would be able to take a shot of half eaten corpses.

Anyone able to translate what Daniel and Shen (?) were saying in the gateroom?

Well, at least they made SG1 have to work to get beamed out.

Here is Daniel and Shen's conversation in the gateroom:

SHEN
Your Mandarin is very good.
DANIEL
Not as good as your English.
SHEN
As it should be.
(referring to Mitchell)
What do you think about him?
DANIEL
We're still observing him.
[She laughs out loud. He smiles at her.]
MITCHELL
Yeah, that's very funny.
(to Daniel)
Get lost.
[Daniel and Shen looked at Mitchell, shocked, while Teal'c and Carter look amazed that he has said anything in Mandarin.]

Didn't they put English subtitles on the bottom of the screen? Didn't notice....was having too much fun hearing MS speaking Chinese....this is SO COOL, I speak Chinese, I came from China only 4 years ago, I am only 14, and they are speaking Chinese on Stargate!!!!!!!!!!!!:cameron:

Seastallion
February 24th, 2006, 08:08 PM
which could have brought up a whole new situation. if the three people best suited to defending the delegates are also the folks that have to take them to safety.....who stays behind with the last two? and who would those last two be?

Well, considering there are 3 pilots and 5 passengers, I would venture to guess had things gone down that way, that Daniel and Woolsey would probably be the ones left behind... unless they decided to double up and have two people sit on two other peoples laps. Why not? Sure it isn't too safe, but surely safer than sitting around with the bugs, and considering they have inertial dampeners that should help ease the safety. Colson mentioned that the F-302 was as smooth a ride as a 747, so one would think that you could get away with flying without a seatbelt, as long as the pilot wasn't showing off. That is probably how things would've gone down. Crowded maybe... but ultimately safer.

All in all... great episode..! :D I liked it. I especially loved it when Woolsey blew up at the French Ambassador. :p Thumbs up!!

SeaBee
February 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I feel a little ambivalent about this ep. It was ok, but not great.

There is a big bang, and the base is shown badly busted up, but not destroyed. I thought that small nukes or naquadah enhanced bombs were used as self destruct devices. Surely there should have been a smoking crater and no buildings, or have the SGC taken to cost cutting on explosives?

The vibration of people moving is enough to attract the bugs, but the vibrations of bullets hitting the ground chases them off. I would have thought the vibration would have attracted more.

uknesvuinng
February 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I feel a little ambivalent about this ep. It was ok, but not great.

There is a big bang, and the base is shown badly busted up, but not destroyed. I thought that small nukes or naquadah enhanced bombs were used as self destruct devices. Surely there should have been a smoking crater and no buildings, or have the SGC taken to cost cutting on explosives?

The vibration of people moving is enough to attract the bugs, but the vibrations of bullets hitting the ground chases them off. I would have thought the vibration would have attracted more.

Apparently the planet also has the effect of weakening the power of explosives. Just look at the little firecrackers mislabeled C4.

cafine_us
February 25th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I believe the bugs were hypersensitive to noise. In small amounts, like the vibrations of feet on the ground, the bugs could easily track prey. However, the incredible noise of gunshots would confuse and scatter them.

Stricken
February 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
SG-1 doing what they do day to day, heading off world to see some Ancient Ruins when they got pulled back to be put on, as Cam put it, babysitting service for the IOA members who want to the off world experience who get a tour of the Gamma site and SG-1 to protect them from the obvious danger that is there. We can assume that from the comments from Landry, about making sure they were in bed by 10, that whilst he is a tough military leader he has a sense of humour. He is in the middle of Jack and Hammond, Hammond was the tough military and Jack was the humorous but often serious General.

The Gamma site, yet another on what we can assume to be a long list, the interior of which was obviously the S.G.C set just redecorated. Which in the ends ended up like a lot of bases and ships…destroyed.

The gun issue, which it has been made into, Cam, seems to be against using the P90, in this mission he was going to protect some diplomats so why would he choose this big gun whilst the Daniel and Sam take the P90’s. We can only assume that he had a premonition about what was going to happen but forgot to mention to the others what was going to happen. Teal’c went off world without a gun in his hand and remand without one during the tour, until they were running from the bugs outside the base and now he has a P90 which has turned up from somewhere, a small loophole there I’m sure.

The Ori will take us to the limit and there latest creation the destroying crop bugs who also have enjoy a tasty human every now and then. The bugs who could destroy entire civilizations is nothing new, Bane had the same theme slightly different idea but the bugs lay eggs in someone and then flood out of the body. The bugs rushing out of Walker makes you think this is turning in to Stargate : The Horror Story. The bugs coming out of the body actually reminds me of “The Mummy” where the bugs came out of the body and started swarming around. It is possible based on previous experiences that this episode was taken from the inspiration from “The Mummy”.

The IOA seem to hate us, but according to Woolsey they don’t the appreciate what we do. Nevertheless we end up with the debate over who should control the Stargate why the other countries feel left out over the amount of technology they are getting from the United States Military. Cam was upset over this assignment, seeing this as PR for the Stargate program which in many ways it did seem to be that way.

Mr. Woolsey was back and to tell the truth I prefer him when he was on the bad side, coming in to the S.G.C to cause problems. Now he’s gone good and he seemed like someone who they could have left behind on the planet. It wasn’t anything to do with the actor, it was most likely to do with what he had to say, keeping SG-1 and diplomats happy. But in the end he came through for us by cracking under the pressure yelling at the diplomat to let Carter work and then to tell the team back at the S.G.C that the IOA did like them.

The means by which SG-1 and the diplomats were saved is something which enraged certain fans after last weeks episode. The beaming out in the last minute, this week you could see it coming SG-1 were running out of ammo, they were walking back from the bugs handguns empting and they are whisked away in the last minute. If this type of rescue keeps happening week after week then more and more fans will become annoyed by it.

At the end of a tough day nothing can beat SG-1’s movie night, and when you think that they will be watching “Old School” it turns out Cam has chosen “Starship Troopers” a film in which humans up against freaky bugs. Which I can only guess was also an inspiration for this episode.

The Scourge receives a S.G.C rating of 7 out of 9 Chevrons!
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gif

scarimor
March 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM
My previously admitted ignorance showing! I meant whatever plastic explosives they placed around the field station. C-4 is the only one I've ever heard of, so I used that name. I'm open to being educated on the subject.

On looking at the caps, yes it was C4 (they were labelled). so those explosions were wimpy! :D

HirogenGater
March 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I was not looking forward to seeing this episode, but I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the story with the diplomats.

captain jake
May 8th, 2006, 02:30 PM
So did I but that chinese lady has another thing comin if she thinks her government can take the stargate.

Trek_Girl42
May 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
My favourite part was seeing Woolsey run for the compound. Priceless. :D

captain jake
May 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Haha

Rottie
July 25th, 2006, 04:01 AM
This episode reminded me of Starship Troopers,even strange enough when Cam mentions it on the end of the ep....hahaha I sooo loved this episode and Carter's attitude was great!

Linwelin
August 1st, 2006, 04:45 AM
Well, after all that time, I've finally been through the thread...

A few quotes about the french guy...

*snip*

And the French guy--just a bit over the top, I thought. I can't believe they would have anybody so stupid and whiny on such a commission. From his first actions of brushing by the scientist and tapping on the bug container (what an idiot!), to his behavior in the cave and on the way to the field station. Just too, too much.

*snip*

"anybody so stupid and whiny" ? :S Of course, we can have someone like that on important commissions... In fact, we do ! :S Not gonna tell names here... ;)

It sucked cos it seem like the French were treated badly. I don't think it was intentional, the French has always been individualistic, proud people ! But in the eyes of the US (and the Government), well... they had to bash the French somehow.

I don't see our people as individualistic :(, but that's not the point I wanted to develop here. ;) That's not the place... :o

In fact, the french guy IS the point that makes me not adore this episode, he's too caricatural...

So, it was a good episode, which could have been better, IMHO, if that guy had been more complex.;)

Rottie
August 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I didn't see that this episode was bashing the French?:S

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Woosley I actually like now, but will we see the killer-Ori-Mummy-Insects again? I think not.

John's PuddleJumper
November 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Thank you so much for the translation- I have been wondering what they all said to each other.

I was very surprised that Cam could speak Mandarin- I think that was a bit of character development. I understand Mandarin is hard to learn?

[QUOTE=The Shadow;4971304]Here is Daniel and Shen's conversation in the gateroom:

SHEN
DANIEL
SHEN
As it should be.
(referring to Mitchell)
DANIEL
MITCHELL
Yeah, that's very funny.
(to Daniel)
Get lost.
[Daniel and Shen looked at Mitchell, shocked, while Teal'c and Carter look amazed that he has said anything in Mandarin.]

Pharaoh Atem
December 7th, 2006, 03:18 AM
this was a good epsiode gross but good ...not a bug fan :S

Amaunet
December 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I really liked this ep...it was one of my fav's in S9...but did it remind anyone of the Mummy...with the creepy bugs in all....like when the went under that guys skin.....

borgprincess
December 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I really liked this ep...it was one of my fav's in S9...but did it remind anyone of the Mummy...with the creepy bugs in all....like when the went under that guys skin.....

Ugh, I hate that special effect, it makes me cringe every time! I've seen in on heaps of episodes, but I can't get used to it...Yeah, it was a lot like 'The Mummy', wasn't it? Stargate references a lot of shows and movies, but although some people think this makes it unoriginal, I've always enjoyed the way they tweak it. Always a fun unique Stargate twist to the cliche.

I'm so glad someone provided a translation for the Mandarin speech! It was driving me nuts- I listened to the commentary in vain, hoping for a translation, and there was none, so this is great. I thought the woman was saying something like, 'Oh, is he available?' and Daniel was like, 'No, trust me, you do not want to date this guy'...the translation was more realistic though. Darn...! I thought the episode was awesome, I like the standalone ones. The Ori arc is cool, don't get me wrong, but it's nice to go back to the team against alien threat type eps now and then.

Amaunet
December 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
^ So true

jenks
March 21st, 2007, 05:06 AM
I didn't see that this episode was bashing the French?:S

They just used the cowardly Frenchman stereotype which I found to be a little weak, not to mention the terrible accent...

suse
March 21st, 2007, 06:46 AM
This ep (bugs aside<shudder>) was my second favorite of S9. This one (and Ethon) were (for me) head and shoulders above the rest.

The last second beam-out was kind of annoying but at that point it hadn't been overused. But at least there was some team jeapardy and some thought went into finding a solution to get the deus ex machina to kick in.

I'd rewatch it if I didn't have an aversion to bugs. And if I hadn't taped over the ep (no S9 DVDs for this girl. Nuh-UH!)

suse

meredithchandler73
April 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Haven't watched this episode in a long time. I forgot how much I like it. No, it isn't a perfect ep, but so much I really enjoyed:

--Lots of the dialogue. Daniel and the Chinese ambassador speaking Chinese...and then Cam chimes in.
--Woolsey being worried about going through the stargate.
Woolsey: "And the chances of my being reassembled incorrectly..."
Carter: "Highly unlikely."
Woolsey: "But not impossible."
Carter (smiles): "That's a word I stopped using nine years ago when I joined the Stargate program."

(Actually, wasn't Carter part of the Stargate program years before the gate was even working - while at the Pentagon? I believe she has a line about that in the pilot. Eh - I won't nitpick. I really like her response to Woolsey's "impossible" line and how she delivers it.
--Couple of nice exchanges between Teal'c and Cam. Teal'c was always sure the Goa'uld would eventually be defeated and he is sure that Ori will one day be defeated as well.
Cam: "See, that's what I like about you. You're always positive. Hell, you're probably already past this bug situation and thinking about what movie you want to watch tomorrow night."
Teal'c: "I was considering Old School."
--The French ambassador has a freakout and Sam asks him to keep his voice down. He continues to freak, yelling about why they should listen to her? Carter calmy says, "Because you are alerting the bugs to our presence." And then when Woolsey tells her they are being insensitive to the delegation's needs and what could it hurt to reassure everyone that everything will be fine. Carter's response is great (I love Amanda's delivery), but the best part of it was:
"Mr. Woolsey, if I could go back in time - which, admittedly, is an opportunity that I am occasionally presented with - I would have made sure that we left the base as scheduled."
--Cam wants to help Teal'c find a his own place, but Teal'c says it won't be necessary. Cam: "Dude, what are friends for?" Teal'c: "For listening when they are told that will be unnecessary." Heehee.
--The French ambassador is doesn't want to keep walking to the research base. Cam decides to scare him by warning him about tree ferrets that can rip a man's head from his torso. I like Sam's reaction - obvioiusly trying not to laugh.
--The French ambassador keeps asking Sam if she can do it (recalibrating the transmitters at the research base) but she is ignoring him because she's working on it. Woolsey finally yells at the guy to shut up and let her work. "Thank you, Mr. Woolsey."
--Love how much of a team episode this was! Lots of conferring among the whole team about what to do next.
Daniel: "So, we still doing movie night?"
Sam: "Yeah. Why not?"
Cam: "Good. I've already picked something out."
Teal'c: "Old School."
Cam: "Starship Troopers."
Teal'c: "Is it humorous?"
Cam: "Is it ever."

Stef
June 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Here is Daniel and Shen's conversation in the gateroom:

SHEN
DANIEL
SHEN
As it should be.
(referring to Mitchell)
DANIEL
MITCHELL
Yeah, that's very funny.
(to Daniel)
Get lost.

I actually just watched this episode for the first time the other night (I had skipped over it somehow). While it's not going to be one of my favorites, it was still a pretty good episode. I really enjoyed the Teal'c/Mitchell interactions and I thought Sam was appealing (something I didn't find to be true of a lot of season 9). But I especially loved the little bit mentioned above ....although it's made all the more funny when I actually know what they're saying. Thanks for posting that. I think I had the same reaction as Teal'c and Carter "did he just say something in Mandarin?" It would have been cool if they had explored that more....obviously there's more to Cam than meets the eye.

-Stef

angelfire east
June 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
SHEN: [Chinese] Your Chinese is supposed to be quite good.

JACKSON: [Chinese] Not as good as your English.

SHEN: [Chinese] of course. What about him? *looks at Mitchell, who looks back*

JACKSON: *glances at Mitchell* [Chinese] We are still teaching him. *both laugh*

MITCHELL: *Teal'c and Carter look confused* Yeah…that's very funny. *looks at Jackson* [Chinese] Go to hell *whose grin quickly fades to shock*

- from http://www.moon-catchin.net/gatenoise/index.htm

I read that a long time ago and that's what I think it means, it makes more sense to me. But that's just me :)

placid
July 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
nit (or alienbug) picks:
at the beginning of the show, the bugs are sluggish under light, yet the team survived the night in the cave no prob, and were predominantly attacked during the day. The noise the bugs made in the lab was kinda over-the-top squishy.

Why were the bugs not more persistent in trying to get at them in the cave? It seemed like the team really backed themselves into a... cave, easy pickings.

The bugs supposedly adapted to eating meat because they weren't getting plants.. well, they were still getting plants, as evidenced by the fact that they refused to eat when the scientist dropped some in their tank. If (oh what an if) he hadn't fed them meatloaf... that would've been the end of them? or would they adapt to eating glass and plastic? As has been mentioned, their digestive system would have to be exponentially over-efficient to produce that many bugs from such a small piece of meat.

When the bugs devoured the first soldier outside the base, they consumed his clothes?

One bug bit the soldier that Mitchell and Teal'c later found - why only one?
Where were the rest?

And the fact that beaming off the planet was a no-go just got completely ignored at the end after it was bought to our attention not once but twice?

Was the stargate destroyed in the self-destruct? That would've been a more plausible means of escape then a last minute beam away...

Story had potential but the bugs ate too many holes in it.

jckfan55
July 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I figured the Stargate was buried in the rubble from the explosion.

Dumper
July 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Well that's two episodes in a row that SG-1 have been beamed up by the Odyssey in the nick of time. It's also been used plenty of times in the past, and while i did enjoy this episode i just wished they could of thought up another way of beating the bugs. It takes the danger away from episodes if a ship can always come along and beam them up when they are in trouble.

captain jake
November 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I figured the Stargate was buried in the rubble from the explosion.

It Probably was... Whats your point?:S

Well that's two episodes in a row that SG-1 have been beamed up by the Odyssey in the nick of time. It's also been used plenty of times in the past, and while i did enjoy this episode i just wished they could of thought up another way of beating the bugs. It takes the danger away from episodes if a ship can always come along and beam them up when they are in trouble.

I agree Beaming has affected both SG-1 and Atlantis, whenever there is a problem without a solution. All they have to do is insert one line of dialogue, "We increased the hyperdrive engines too 142%". And all of a sudden they are flying off into the sunset. But certain allowances have to be given, it is after all SciFi.

rushy
November 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Why did the Goa'uld Kneel before your god thing had to be replaced with Hallowed are the Ori?

mrscopterdoc
April 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Woolsey is SUCH a jerk in this episode!! And then he gets better.....

Talk about timing....

Pharaoh Atem
April 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
:S bugs ........ very scary ep

maneth
January 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yucky bugs. But I loved the fact they were going to watch Starship Troopers on movie night. :p

mathpiglet
May 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I don't like bugs. Bugs coming out of dead people are even worse.

This episode made me think how I would react if I found myself is such a situation and I fear I would embarrass myself.

the fifth man
May 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM
What a great episode this one was. I haven't watched it in quite some time. I am going to have to pop in the Season 9 DVD very soon.

Jae'a
April 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
What the heck is wrong with everyone? Bugs are cool! Seriously, has anyone around here ever studied them, even just casually or for a little while? Some of the most interesting creatures on the planet! :)

My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/50493.html)
I love this episode, although the fact that I've been playing through a carnivorous predator game of Spore and also that my current creatures look like giant ants and are pretty much dominating the planet may have had a tiny bit of an influence on some of this review... :bratacanime02:

mathpiglet
April 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I watched again today and i still don't like bugs.

Sorry, Jae'a.

discodiva
April 24th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I have a couple of those bugs....they're not as scary up close....;)

Loved this episode....if only for Robert Picardo's "Woolsey Comedy Run" to the safe hut near the end...totally hilarious and perfect for the character imho...:P

Deeds xx

Krisz
April 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
DANIEL: So! We, uh, still doing movie night?
CARTER: Yeah, why not?
MITCHELL: Good. I've already picked something out.
TEAL'C: 'Old School'.
MITCHELL: 'Starship Troopers'.
TEAL'C: Is it humorous?
MITCHELL: Is it ever.

Wolsey's "comedy run", I agree that was hilarious, also the bit where Mitchell tells the French guy about the 'Tree Ferrets' and Wolsey runs off not to be last.

I like this episode, it's just good old fashioned SG-1 fun! Adventure, humour and buuuugs!

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
April 24th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thought it was kind of a boring episode.

Glad all the IOA rep survived (including the Chinese representative ;)).

Tomorrow, a retread of a Season 3 (mmm, yep, Season 3) episode.

Jae'a
April 25th, 2012, 04:41 AM
I watched again today and i still don't like bugs.

Sorry, Jae'a.

Meh, used to it.. still don't understand it though... :P

Lieutenant Sparrow
April 25th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Not the best ep imo. Had some funny lines though.

I'm definitely not bothered by bugs though. But Starship Troopers is one of my all time favourite movies :D

Matt G
April 27th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Right...

1. Ah...the one with the IOA and the bugs.

2. WArped image alert with the bugs!

3. Michael Ironside...remember him from SEaquest 2032.

4. French guy was a moron.

5. China thing was interesting.

OK filler

KayLyne
April 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I actually kind of like this episode, mainly because of Sam's annoyance with the IOA members. It's not often that we see her display her annoyance like that.

Her attitude change is kind of cute - when she goes from quite amused (when she & Woolsey are going up the ramp to the gate):
RW: Just to clarify; I'm going to be disassembled at the molecular level, then reassembled on the other side.
Sam: That's right.
RW: And the chances of my being reassembled incorrectly ...
Sam: Highly unlikely.
RW: But not impossible.
Sam: That's a word I stopped using nine years ago when I joined the Stargate programme.

and then totally annoyed with all of them because she's not 'sugar coating' her responses to them and telling them that it'll all be okay:
"Mr. Woolsey, if I could go back in time -- which, admittedly is an opportunity I am occasionally presented with -- I would have made sure that we left the base as scheduled but the reality is for the time being we are stuck here, trapped in this cave, surrounded by predatory insects with no way to get to the Stargate. Now I'm sorry but I'm going to have a hard time mustering up a convincing pep-talk, all things considered."

It's nice to see Woolsey redeem himself when he gets the other whiners to back off and let Sam work when she's trying to get the communications device at the research station to work.

Cam's quip to the French guy about the tree ferrets was cute as well.

suse
April 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
One of the few (two?) eps I enjoyed in S9. And I *hate* bugs.

jelgate
April 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Another miss. Its a boring episode for me. SG1 running from Ori bugs does little to interest me. I don't really see the motivation of the Ori sending out these bugs unlike when the Ori unleashed a plague. That part at least made sense. And while the IOA stuff had a little foreshadowing of things to come their whinning got annoying real fast. I just can't think of anything that interesting about this episode. It just kind of plays through the motions and nothing awe inspiring is in this episode

Baron Of Hell
August 19th, 2013, 04:52 AM
The idea of this episode was ok but I didn't like the execution. You have these bugs that start off as surface bugs but then change into tunneling bugs. The bugs attack one guy that was standing still but didn't attack tealc and Mitchell when they were standing still. The last thing I thought was bad was a entire base gets destroyed but the show ends on a joke. No respect for the dead I guess.

This was also a copy of another episode but replace bugs with replicators. With all the bad points I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either. They played it to safe with this episode, it was all paint by numbers.

puiwaihin
September 25th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Anyone wanna take a crack at translating the conversation between Daniel and the Chinese representative? I'm no expert (really), all I know is that what Mitchell says at the end is "screw you" (or somesuch).
Honestly, the Chinese dialog was horrible. I had to replay it several times to make out what they were trying to say, and even knowing what they're supposed to be saying, I still couldn't distinguish their words.

Michael Shanks actually did a better job than Tamlyn Tomita at the Mandarin. She's barely comprehensible, while he could pass for a foreigner who can understand the written, but has had limited opportunity to actually speak it. Good enough for Daniel, for the supposed Chinese ambassador the lines made everything worse.

Personally, I liked it when the show generally had Daniel stumbling around in languages, not really understanding how they were spoken--mixing up vowels, etc. It's realistic for a linguist who studies language features more than speaking it as opposed to a polyglot who should actually be competent in conversation.

What she was probably trying to say:
Shen Xiaoyi: ?????????(?) Ni de guoyu xuede zenmeyang? (How's your Chinese?)

But her pronunciation was off on a lot of it. ?orse, a Beijinger would not use "guoyu" for Mandarin. That's the Taiwanese term for it. A Beijing diplomat would definitely use the term "putonghua" ??? instead.

Daniel, while sounding a bit odd, was at least clearly understandable in the first line.
Daniel Jackson:????????meiyou nide yingwen hao. (Not as good as your English.)

The next exchange is far worse. I honestly cannot understand what they are trying to say.
It sounds like "Na ge yan gang, ditsta"
The scripts says: It shows . You're bringing him along?
Perhaps:???????????????? But it wouldn't sound even remotely the same.

Daniel is mostly understandable, but there's a bit that's not very clear. Probably without the context of what she had said his scripted answer doesn't make much sense.
Daniel: ????????women haizai guanzhe ta. (We're looking after him) But the word he uses for "babysit" isn't what I'd expect--sounds more like "manage"

Mitchell gets the profanity part right (equivalent of F* you), but then adds a "da" at the end that spoiled it.

Overall, the scene failed pretty badly for anyone who speaks Chinese. Can't blame Michael Shanks, or even Tamlyn Tomita--they were trying, but it didn't work. Either the director should have made sure it was authentic sounding or it should have been written differently. (Or maybe their language consultant just wanted to be a 'yes' man and said it was good even when it wasn't.)

Anja
October 14th, 2015, 02:50 AM
Thanks for this analysis - great job.
Nevertheless to me and many, many other viewers the conversation was fun, especially Mitchell's last line.
I liked the ep and the very creepy beetles - I like beetles!
Carter does a great job and that little weasel man gets better and better - I could come to like him!