PDA

View Full Version : You are Martin and Joe's muses, what do you want to happen in season 3 of SGA and se

mahram
January 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
so you are joe and martin's muses, what do you want to see happen during next season of both shows. Come something crazy nutty, characters hooking up or dying. So what do you want to see. And just to get out of the way furlings, nox, rda+samantha, and tollans :D

SnoggingPicard
January 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
A followup to the events of "Trinity", more character development, no definite canon ship as of yet, and a good balance of both Vala and Sam.

Nienna
January 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
I would love for the reset button to go far, far away. One of the things that has always been the same about all of my favorite shows is that when major events happen, we get fallout. It doesn't have to be a huge, complex, 20 minute recap of each ep; even just an offhand comment or a short 1 minute blurb would be great.

The eps after Trinity are a prime example of this. Shep told Rodney he had lost his trust, Weir chewed him out in public, and I'm sure Dr. Z was none too happy with him either. And we get...nothing. Just one little line said by anyone about how Shep (and the others) were still unhappy with Rodney would have done wonders. The only time we seem to get this is when it's part of the plot, like in Instinct/Conversion, when Shep gets jumpy at the discussion of the iratus bug. It was a great character piece, but it was only there for set-up value.

While I don't feel that SGA needs to become so focused on continuty that it's hard to follow, I do think the show would flow better if it wasn't (mostly) 20 eps that just sorta happen in chronological order, with only loose ties.

Edit: How could I forget? Shipping! :valaanime04: Either ship them or loose the blatent UST; the "will they won't they" is highly annoying. Personally I'm all for 'no canon ship' (and yes, I am a shipper), since that way everyone can ship or not ship as they please and we can all be happy. :teyla25: But if you absolutly must have ship, then do it all the way, not half-assed.

neko138
January 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
i agree. realistically, a lot of people will either have the dvds (aka season 1-8 and season 1SGA) or eps on their dvd recorders (because who uses VHS anymore-rhetorical question). *ahem, moving on* so, they shouldnt need to put the full five minute+ recap, most people would remember (vaguely) what happneed and if not, then the episode shouldnt be so centred on what happened three episodes ago. ><

Ships: should be the disgression of the fans and fanficcers. Otherwise, make up your mind who is with who or suffer the wrath of the hoards of Jack and Sam fans who were messed abotu for 8 years (going on 9??)*and boy are they angry*

more stuff on the wraith. more stuff on the alterans, maybe a hint to the orii (a GOOD SGA/SGC crossover, like in HOME/Critical mass without the corny bits)

less sheppard getting it on with anything that is related to an ancient (ala tower, epiphany). less copying of old stories. more hiring of fic writers (who probably knwo ther series better than the "real" writers sometimes!!)

Less corny, more action, more real character development ala hive, duets but other than rodney. torri had a decent five minutes on Intruder, john's supposedly having an episode about his past. more about beckett, or zelenka or something exciting to make them more than 2d characters. (much loved 2d characters)

And less shrugging off important stuff for the trivial stuff (like in tower)

oh, and because it's silly: i'd hire me. ><

mahram
January 2nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
what about dr.wier and rodney hooking up. It would be completely out of character for rodney b/c he has a thing for blonds.

I would love for the reset button to go far, far away. One of the things that has always been the same about all of my favorite shows is that when major events happen, we get fallout. It doesn't have to be a huge, complex, 20 minute recap of each ep; even just an offhand comment or a short 1 minute blurb would be great.

The eps after Trinity are a prime example of this. Shep told Rodney he had lost his trust, Weir chewed him out in public, and I'm sure Dr. Z was none too happy with him either. And we get...nothing. Just one little line said by anyone about how Shep (and the others) were still unhappy with Rodney would have done wonders. The only time we seem to get this is when it's part of the plot, like in Instinct/Conversion, when Shep gets jumpy at the discussion of the iratus bug. It was a great character piece, but it was only there for set-up value.

While I don't feel that SGA needs to become so focused on continuty that it's hard to follow, I do think the show would flow better if it wasn't (mostly) 20 eps that just sorta happen in chronological order, with only loose ties.

Edit: How could I forget? Shipping! :valaanime04: Either ship them or loose the blatent UST; the "will they won't they" is highly annoying. Personally I'm all for 'no canon ship' (and yes, I am a shipper), since that way everyone can ship or not ship as they please and we can all be happy. :teyla25: But if you absolutly must have ship, then do it all the way, not half-assed.

unknownterra
January 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
OK, some of mine are a little evil.

First and foremost, Sheppard paying some sort of consequence for having slept around with strange alien women (that ho).

Ronon getting so irate with Rodney he shoots him, stun of course, to shut him up. Or Ronon spiking Rodney's food with citrus to test the 'allergy' theory and lo and behold nothing actually happens to Rodney.

Be kind to poor Torri and let her have the alien with eight arms!

I'd really like to see more Teyla and Rodney friendships pieces, nothing shippy.

More Ford!!!!!!!

Beal
January 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
I'd have all the writers sit down and discuss what they're going to do with the season, how the characters are going to develop and make sure everyones on the same page before they start putting pen to paper.

Wyrminarrd
January 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
For season 3 Id like a new main enemy. Ive always felt that the Wraith werent a very good concept plus that they really didnt seem capable of taking down the Ancients. What Id want is for it to be discovered that the Wraith were created by another race purely as a weapon against the Ancients, this race gave them most of the weapons they used. It would explain why the Wraith havent figured out how to build hyperdrives capable of going between galaxies, they simply are simply to stupid to come up with an original scientific theory.

Ill add my vote to the more continuity campaign, I hate it when things that are supposed to be extremely important to a character are completely forgotten by the next episode.

Id also like to see them fly Atlantis to a new planet, to more or less run with their tail between the legs from massively superior forces.

AutumnDream
January 3rd, 2006, 01:56 AM
I'd have all the writers sit down and discuss what they're going to do with the season, how the characters are going to develop and make sure everyones on the same page before they start putting pen to paper.

Brilliant! If only they'd done it with THIS season. :D

Seriously, what I'd ask Joe's muse to tell him is, "Stick with SG-1".

Martin, Carl, Brad, and Robert are perfectly capable of writing one hell of an episode. 95% of the time. Season 1 is almost universally recognized as being downright better than Season 2, right? And who meticulously planned out Season 1? Brad Wright, in his year off being SG-1's showrunner. So, let's get some more of that magical Brad Wright story/planning and more of that magical Martin Gero writing! And throw in a dash of that BSG continuity/complexity/characterization. I faintly remember it way back from Season 1. :p

Ses
January 3rd, 2006, 06:16 AM
First and foremost, Sheppard paying some sort of consequence for having slept around with strange alien women (that ho).

*in total agreement* :)

FoolishPleasure
January 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
1. No more hot babes of the week.

2. Better/stronger female characterizations for Weir and Teyla (and make Cadman recurring).

3. Deeper understandings of all our characters - yes, that means telling us their backstories. How are we supposed to care for people we know nothing about?

4. "Ship" issues - make up your minds. Yes, or no? And NO triangles! That mentality belongs in the afternoon soaps.

Southern Red
January 3rd, 2006, 07:14 AM

2. Better/stronger female characterizations for Weir and Teyla (and make Cadman recurring).

3. Deeper understandings of all our characters - yes, that means telling us their backstories. How are we supposed to care for people we know nothing about?

4. "Ship" issues - make up your minds. Yes, or no? And NO triangles! That mentality belongs in the afternoon soaps.

I could not have said it better. All in all it boils down to respect for the viewers. It would help so much to have a sentence or two relating to the major events of a past episode that must have caused changes in people's lives. Instead we get nothing. We know no more about Sheppard, the supposedly main character, than we did in the pilot. He has become a laughing stock across several forums because of the hot alien chick thing to the extent that even when he's innocent nobody believes it. We need to go back to the sense of urgency in Season one. Maybe cutting them off from Earth again would be a good idea.

Linzi
January 3rd, 2006, 07:47 AM
I don't mind hot babe of the season, but any more than that is just plain greedy.

Better/stronger characterization for ALL the regular characters, except McKay who seems to have had his fair share this season, so his could be cut back a bit, leaving some time for other characters to hog some good moments.

Ship issues. Sigh... I just wish there'd be No ship, then nobody would get cross with eachother and everybody could pretend what they like, with no animosity or point scoring anywhere. As a non-shipper I firmly believe Ship is best left to FF and people's imaginations.

I wish Atlantis would be cut off from earth again. I want that tension and fight for survival back that we had in season 1.

More balanced screen time for characters. When one character dominates it not only becomes boring and tiring, but the development of other characters is non-existent. So share round the good storylines and no hogging by certain character's please!

More exploration of Atlantis and more of what Sheppard's gene means.Why does he have such an unusually strong command of all the Ancient tech? etc How or why is he linked to Atlantis, or isn't he? I'd really like to know.

More Sheppard/McKay interaction a la season 1. I miss that, it's not been the same this season IMO.

Damn, forgot Shep whump - he just does it so well and there's not been enough this season!

Cory Holmes
January 3rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
More Sheppard/McKay interaction a la season 1. I miss that, it's not been the same this season IMO.

That's the one thing I disagree with. I think their interaction this season has been on par with the bar set in S1, humour and friendship and all.

Wolf Eire
January 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
1. No possession stories. None. Nada. Zilch.

2. Don't let Kindler near a typewriter.

3. No more random babe of the week.

4. No Ford.

5. Get Weir more involved. Give her something to do.

6. Keep crossovers to a minimum.

7. Do not use Carter to belittle McKay and save the day.

Osiris-RA
January 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM

Works for me.

And, just to give me even more of an incentive to tune in...

*hypnotizing* Keith Hamilton Cobb....Keith Hamilton Cobb....Keith Hamilton Cobb...*/hypnotizing*

mahram
January 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
but if youw were sheppard and you saw Leonor Varela, and she has the hots for you. would nt you say hmmmmm :D

OK, some of mine are a little evil.

Ronon getting so irate with Rodney he shoots him, stun of course, to shut him up. Or Ronon spiking Rodney's food with citrus to test the 'allergy' theory and lo and behold nothing actually happens to Rodney.

Be kind to poor Torri and let her have the alien with eight arms!

I'd really like to see more Teyla and Rodney friendships pieces, nothing shippy.

More Ford!!!!!!!

shockwave
January 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
-Less McKay, more season 1 like
-more team-focused
-character development + explaining backstories and flashbacks
-more interesting villans, not just wraith that are hissing, but actually have depth
-more planning
-let Martin Gero and Carl Binder write less episodes, so they have more time to write their scripts. A lot of eps were rushed.
-maybe a few more writers may help solve this problem.

(first half season 9 of sg1 is fine for most part BTW, and second half seems interesting)

alfirin_kirinki
January 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Dispose of:

Lorne
Cadman
Caldwell
The Reset Button
Slut of the Week
Lorne
Weir's Schoolgirl Crush on Sheppard
The Pretense that Sheppard's Interested in Either Weir or Teyla. (The guy is such a queen it's not remotely plausible.)
And also: Lorne

Bring back:

The Show's Integrity
Last season's secondaries because they were more interesting than the main characters.
Some intensity
A sense of actual consequences

And please, Santa: NO CARTER.

Linzi
January 3rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Dispose of:
[LIST]
The Pretense that Sheppard's Interested in Either Weir or Teyla. (The guy is such a queen it's not remotely plausible.)

LOL! Just spat my tea on the laptop!

And please, Santa: NO CARTER.

I'll second that. Develop the characters we have please! :D

starfox
January 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
*I want to see a matriarchal/matrilineal planet. I want to see John's charm not work, people not be impressed by Ronon's size, McKay fix something for the natives and thwapped for staring at their chests (or, alternately, get laid out of gratitude), and Teyla and/or Weir deal with negotiations. This isn't just me being a feminist, this is because it seems like it would be realistic. Search long enough, you're going to find a matrilineal society, so lets see one. A goddess-based culture where Teyla's the only one they take seriously would be such fun. Especially if she had to take McKay along with her because she needs his science skillz; we would actually get team interaction with those two! Meanwhile Shep and Ronon would be stuck outside the village talking about how they're menly men and comparing military training on Earth and Seteda.

*An episode where Rodney gets anaphylactic shock or has a hypoglycemic reaction. The former I would actually want to happen off-world and affect the overall plot of the episode, the second could just be alluded to as something coming out of a crisis situation, eg)"Rodney's still in the infirmary. He's been working so hard on refining the new cloak that he forgot to eat; scared Miko half to death."

Yeah, neither one of these will happen anytime soon, but I can dream, can't I?

mahram
January 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
teyla's characters pretty charming. I wish they would speed up the hook up between her and sheppard. Not a last minute hook up thing like they did in ds9.

*I want to see a matriarchal/matrilineal planet. I want to see John's charm not work, people not be impressed by Ronon's size, McKay fix something for the natives and thwapped for staring at their chests (or, alternately, get laid out of gratitude), and Teyla and/or Weir deal with negotiations. This isn't just me being a feminist, this is because it seems like it would be realistic. Search long enough, you're going to find a matrilineal society, so lets see one. A goddess-based culture where Teyla's the only one they take seriously would be such fun. Especially if she had to take McKay along with her because she needs his science skillz; we would actually get team interaction with those two! Meanwhile Shep and Ronon would be stuck outside the village talking about how they're menly men and comparing military training on Earth and Seteda.

*An episode where Rodney gets anaphylactic shock or has a hypoglycemic reaction. The former I would actually want to happen off-world and affect the overall plot of the episode, the second could just be alluded to as something coming out of a crisis situation, eg)"Rodney's still in the infirmary. He's been working so hard on refining the new cloak that he forgot to eat; scared Miko half to death."

Yeah, neither one of these will happen anytime soon, but I can dream, can't I?

PG15
January 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
I would say to them "screw the fans, do whatever the hell you want."

And then I'll watch as their heads explodes from the paradox. ;)

starfox
January 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM
teyla's characters pretty charming. I wish they would speed up the hook up between her and sheppard. Not a last minute hook up thing like they did in ds9.

Yeah, well, if I ship anything it's Teyla/Rodney (not that I think it'll actually happen; I think it would be the most interesting/amusing ship ever), but if they're going to do the Shep/Teyla thing, I'd like to see them start a nice, firm foundation for it in Season 3, otherwise stop yankin' us around.

AutumnDream
January 3rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
I agree with almost everything said in this thread. Some of your comments are really hilarious. XD

I just want everything to be done to return this show to the glorious thing it should be. So one of the coolest concepts in the history of television isn't squandered in the face of rushed writing, laziness, or silly ideas.

unknownterra
January 3rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
but if youw were sheppard and you saw Leonor Varela, and she has the hots for you. would nt you say hmmmmm :D
I would say no.

If McKay can say no to Carter (even if she were a hallucination) then Sheppard can keep it in his pants. Frankly, the slut of the week is putting me off the show.

I think from what we have seen so far Rodney has had some awakening call since SG-1 and respects women, unlike Sheppard.

starfox
January 4th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I think from what we have seen so far Rodney has had some awakening call since SG-1 and respects women, unlike Sheppard.

Okay, I'm not picking on you, but this quote is representative of a sentiment I'm feeling on other threads, the Sheppard not respecting women sentiment. Where does this come from? He was a perfect gentleman with Chaya in Sanctuary, and of the alien women he's accused of exercising Kirk-like behaviour with, the only one he isn't well-behaved with is

Mara in The Tower, and she wasn't exactly acting like she would appreciate some gentlemanly manners at that time.

Yes, he finds women attractive, yes, he apparently has sex. How does this equal disrespect for women? He treats Weir and Teyla with respect back on Atlantis, why can't he respect the women he views in a sexual light? You can sleep with someone and respect them in the morning.

Sorry, that negative sentiment is just becoming one of my pet peeves.

Now there would be something to see in season 3; Shep dealing with another planets version of himself, who smiles and charms Atlantis' women, while John is thinking 'Am I *really* like that?' Not that we need more gratuitous reminders of his attractiveness next season.

unknownterra
January 4th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Yes, he finds women attractive, yes, he apparently has sex. How does this equal disrespect for women? He treats Weir and Teyla with respect back on Atlantis, why can't he respect the women he views in a sexual light? You can sleep with someone and respect them in the morning.

If he did respect women, he wouldn't sleep with them all now, would he? If he is so charming and respects them, why is it he doesn't have a serious relationship with someone on Atlanits but is drawn towards alien women he knows he doesn't have a shot at with in a long lasting relationship?

As far as respecting Weir and Teyla is concerened:

He showed true intentions by forcing Teyla into a kiss in Conversion and the only reason he wanted to volunteer to be inhabited by the alien in Long Goodbye was because he thought he might get some 'Weir action' and have an excuse to do it.

John Sheppard is a slut and Season 2 has really brought out this flaw in his character.

Edit: And yes, Chaya. The only reason he was charming her was to get laid. He go what he wanted at the end. Have we seen her again? I don't think so. Why? Because he got what he wanted and moved on. If he were true, he would have pursued it no matter what.

Skydiver
January 4th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I want them to stop ripping off other tv shows. stop the homages unless you can do them in such a way that i don't recognize that they're a rip off. (critical mass for example. anyone recognize the scene from Lost that they 'homaged'????)

don't worry about explosions and ships and cool cgi, take a few minutes and write something about the characters. make the characters move the story, not just be along for the ride.

after a year and a half i have zero emotional attachment to the atlantis folks, despite my feelings that, in many ways, atlantis is a better show than sg1.

there's the feeling that these boys can't write women. when they try, they tend to write thier fantasy girl. stop trying to write the women as women, write them as charcters and let the ladies take care of the gender issues. they're actresses, it's what they do :)

put away that danged reset button. what makes BSG so intrigueing is that, as i watch it, i'm not thinking 'yeah, well kira will get out of it cause her name is in the credits', i'm thinking 'well, they've killed off other folks, she could die'

the suspense makes it interesting. when i watched epiphany sorry joe, but that was SUCH a blatant rip off of 100 days i never had a doubt that there would be a positive resolution.

think back to the star wars trilogy, why were folks pretty bored with episode 3? cause we knew the ending 20 years ago. when i know the ending, you need to make the journey interesting and lucas couldn't do that. thus i've had the dvd for 2 months now and still haven't made the time to watch it. i bought it for the sake of buying it and to make the collection complete, not because i was intrigued by the story.

i feel the same way about atlantis and sg1 right now

FoolishPleasure
January 4th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Okay, I'm not picking on you, but this quote is representative of a sentiment I'm feeling on other threads, the Sheppard not respecting women sentiment. Where does this come from?

Yes, he finds women attractive, yes, he apparently has sex. How does this equal disrespect for women? You can sleep with someone and respect them in the morning.
I checked your profile and you haven't even hit 20 yet. A bit of advice:

A man who sleeps around with various women, and engages in a myriad of one night stands does NOT respect women.

after a year and a half i have zero emotional attachment to the atlantis folks, despite my feelings that, in many ways, atlantis is a better show than sg1.

That returns us to the issue of missing backstories for half our characters. No matter how "hot" or "pretty" someone is, you just can't CARE for them unless you know who they are.

florence
January 4th, 2006, 05:56 AM

A man who sleeps around with various women, and engages in a myriad of one night stands does NOT respect women.
While I agree with you in real life situations, I don't see it that way for Sheppard (and in that, I agree entirely with starfox's post). IMO Sheppard only slept with one woman in 2 seasons (in Epiphany) so I wouldn' call it 'sleeping around with various women'.
And I again agree with starfox about Shep respecting Weir and Teyla. That's one of the thing I like the most about him, he respects and trusts his coworkers, men and women.
Oh, and you can check my profile, I'm 35 :)

Now, back on topic and what I'd like to see in Season 3 :
- Shep's background ! Oh and the same for the other characters too (especially Ronon)
- explore the city ! They've got this huge and beautiful city to explore, which I'm sure is full of strange Ancient things, and we've almost seen nothing of it...
- no crossovers with SG1. They've already so many stories to tell about the SGA characters, why would they waste time with characters of another show ?

unknownterra
January 4th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I forgot to mention that I really want to see more of Miko. She was so adorable, and she had real character, unlike that boring lifeless Katie Brown. And on that note, I'd like to see Katie Brown Wraithed.

FoolishPleasure
January 4th, 2006, 06:48 AM
While I agree with you in real life situations, I don't see it that way for Sheppard (and in that, I agree entirely with starfox's post). IMO Sheppard only slept with one woman in 2 seasons (in Epiphany) so I wouldn' call it 'sleeping around with various women'.
Its pretty much been established that Sheppard has slept with women in "Sanctuary", "Ephiphany", and "The Tower", plus the heavy flirting has gone on in many other eppys, which is why the term, "Sheph0r" has become so popular in many Stargate forums lately. I'm not saying I don't like the character, because I do, but I just prefer Shep the way he was in season 1, and I don't think his behavior in season 2 is anything to showcase to young males in the audience. Honestly - I really don't think TPTB intended for Sheppard to be perceived as a "ho" at all. I get the impression they were making an attempt at humor, but it isn't going over as such.

florence
January 4th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Its pretty much been established that Sheppard has slept with women in "Sanctuary", "Ephiphany", and "The Tower", plus the heavy flirting has gone on in many other eppys, which is why the term, "Sheph0r" has become so popular in many Stargate forums lately. I'm not saying I don't like the character, because I do, but I just prefer Shep the way he was in season 1, and I don't think his behavior in season 2 is anything to showcase to young males in the audience. Honestly - I really don't think TPTB intended for Sheppard to be perceived as a "ho" at all. I get the impression they were making an attempt at humor, but it isn't going over as such.
Excuse me, but established by who ? By fans who watch the show, as I do.
I know a lot of people may disagree with me (although I've also read posts of other people who see it like me, so I think I'm not the only one...).
Of course, everyone is free of their opinion, so let's agree we disagree on that point, okay ? :)

Skydiver
January 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM
That returns us to the issue of missing backstories for half our characters. No matter how "hot" or "pretty" someone is, you just can't CARE for them unless you know who they are.

exactly. i have zero emotional attachmetn to these guys. i wasn't gutten when ford got changed, or upset when simon broke up with weir. nor do i give a fig who's shipped with whom

they're just cardboard cutouts, actors reading a line and there's nothing 'catching' enough about any of them for me to think 'the show just cant' go on without _________'

there's nothing unique abuot them. shep is the maverick 'boss', weir is frankly pretty bland, rod is the smartaleck and jerk, teyla is there to be pretty along with being the token alien, ronon is their teal'c, zelenka is their doctor Lee - just with more hair and a cool accent. beckett is thier janet, also with a cool accent.

but if they said tomorrow that one member of the cast was not coming back, i wouldn't care beyond hoping that they'd bring in someone with a bit more zest to them.

as it stands now, they're all replacable. good for contract negotionas - as far as scifi is concerned - but it does nothing to pique my interest

ok, so yeah, to keep it on topic, if i was their muse i'd invest a bit more time in the characters, developing them and giving them more depth. because if folks aren't interseted in the characters, all they can be interested in is the story...and given that the stories have gotten weaker and weaker over the years, this does not bode well to make the series long running and self sustaining

Linzi
January 4th, 2006, 07:18 AM

If you're saying that Sheppard has slept with various women or has engaged in a myriad of one night stands, I see evidence he's only slept with 1 and kissed some others. That does not make him or anybody else who is free and single either a 'slut', which is a vile word (I know you haven't used it but others have) or someone who doesn't respect women! The women he's kissed, except for the Teyla stuff in Conversion, all were willing or the one's who instigated physical contact in the first place.In TLG Weir snogged HIM and he didn't kiss back, or his alien entity thing didn't Men and women both enjoy kissing and sex with different people at different times and as long as nobody is in an exclusive relationship it is normal and healthy. The man is not a monk, he is attractive, FREE and single! Why shouldn't he get close to women he likes?

Wolf Eire
January 4th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Bring back:

Last season's secondaries because they were more interesting than the main characters.

Bates was a strong character, stronger than the likes of Ford but I can't really think of anyone else who was more interesting than the main characters. The only other character around the base who had anything going for them was Grodin and well he's dead. I assume the actor for Bates is busy too otherwise I can't really figure out why they dumped him.

alfirin_kirinki
January 4th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Here's a bit of advice to you: a) don't be so patronising; b) I hate the kirking, but Shep had not done anything so far that was not thrown at him by the woman involved. With the exception of Chaya - who he did treat like a perfect lady - he didn't make the first move ever.

Which is part of the reason I think he's gayer than showtunes. :D

alfirin_kirinki
January 4th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Bates was a strong character, stronger than the likes of Ford but I can't really think of anyone else who was more interesting than the main characters. The only other character around the base who had anything going for them was Grodin and well he's dead. I assume the actor for Bates is busy too otherwise I can't really figure out why they dumped him.

I'm guessing you've not seen my posts in other threads... :D

~biggest Stackhouse fangirl in fandom~

I did mention somewhere - probably another thread - that I'd also take new secondaries if they were of the calibre of Bates, Grodin, Kavanagh, Stacks (look - he did have a personality! Boyan was playing him stoic, alright?!). I just think we've had nothing but redshirts and Lorne and that is Not Good.

Over all, in season one - even people who were fleeting appearances, like Miko - proved more interesting and more likeable than most of the main characters, for me.

Nienna
January 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM

I've always thought it was cause they didn't feel he fit into the plan for Season Two. After all, with new people coming to Atlantis, Bates would probably be replaced as Head of Security. If he's not HoS, then he wouldn't be butting heads with Shep (and Teyla) and he looses the part that made him so interesting in Season One. And of course then there's no point in having him on the show if he's not in an important job, since we rarely ever see the day-to-day troops on Atlantis. Which is part of the reason why, sadly, I doubt we're going to get Bates back.
As for Dean getting a new job, well he did, but it happened later, so I have no idea if that had anything to do with it. But it's quite likely that my little theory is all fluff and they wrote Bates out cause Dean wanted to join up with another show where he didn't get painted as a quasi-bad guy. ;)

Merlin7
January 4th, 2006, 11:06 AM

It was never stated he slept with Chaya. And he said he didn't sleep with Mara. HE's slept with Teer only after 6 months. Hardly makes him a slut or disrepectful to women. He's not with anyone. He can actually sleep around and unless the women are fighting him off and screaming NO/STOP he's not disrepecting them at all. And they've all jumped him.

Wolf Eire
January 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I'm guessing you've not seen my posts in other threads... :D

~biggest Stackhouse fangirl in fandom~

I did mention somewhere - probably another thread - that I'd also take new secondaries if they were of the calibre of Bates, Grodin, Kavanagh, Stacks (look - he did have a personality! Boyan was playing him stoic, alright?!). I just think we've had nothing but redshirts and Lorne and that is Not Good.

Over all, in season one - even people who were fleeting appearances, like Miko - proved more interesting and more likeable than most of the main characters, for me.

To be honest I can't see that the character of Stackhouse offered anything except for the safe feeling of familiar furniture. He's just another redshirt. :o

I've always thought it was cause they didn't feel he fit into the plan for Season Two. After all, with new people coming to Atlantis, Bates would probably be replaced as Head of Security. If he's not HoS, then he wouldn't be butting heads with Shep (and Teyla) and he looses the part that made him so interesting in Season One. And of course then there's no point in having him on the show if he's not in an important job, since we rarely ever see the day-to-day troops on Atlantis. Which is part of the reason why, sadly, I doubt we're going to get Bates back.
As for Dean getting a new job, well he did, but it happened later, so I have no idea if that had anything to do with it. But it's quite likely that my little theory is all fluff and they wrote Bates out cause Dean wanted to join up with another show where he didn't get painted as a quasi-bad guy.

Actually that's quite a plausible and logical explanation. It's still sad to see quite a strong and developed recurring character unceremoniously dumped.

alfirin_kirinki
January 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
To be honest I can't see that the character of Stackhouse offered anything except for the safe feeling of familiar furniture. He's just another redshirt. :o

Yes. Comfortable. Mmm, schnuggle.

FoolishPleasure
January 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM
It was never stated he slept with Chaya. And he said he didn't sleep with Mara. HE's slept with Teer only after 6 months. Hardly makes him a slut or disrepectful to women. He's not with anyone.
Ignoring the Ship or Thunk threads - cruising through the actual episode threads and reading general fan reaction, one sees that most fans feel Sheppard slept with Chaya, Teer, and Mara. Even the Shep/Weir Ship thread is split on the Mara bit - some think he DID sleep with her, and then lied to Weir about it (which makes it worse). In a draft of "The Tower", Sheppard boots Mara out of his room, but scene was cut, which also leads folks to believe he DID enjoy a romp. I haven't seen "The Tower" so I can't state whether he did or not.

He can actually sleep around and unless the women are fighting him off and screaming NO/STOP he's not disrepecting them at all. And they've all jumped him.

If a woman has to fight him off, that would be rape. One night stands are just physical thrills (no matter who is instigating) with no intention of ever seeing that person again, and there is no respect involved. If one is a free and single young stud, and they want people think they are cheap and easy, then go ahead, be happy. Not all young, single men resort to one-night-stands on a regular basis.

However, Sheppard is a man in an important professional position, whose actions affect not only him, but hundreds of other people. Going on missions and behaving like a young buck is counter-productive to the overall Atlantis mission, and could have serious ramifications. He really should be reprimanded for his actions in some episodes. That's probably something I would like to see.

Merlin7
January 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Ignoring the Ship or Thunk threads - cruising through the actual episode threads and reading general fan reaction, one sees that most fans feel Sheppard slept with Chaya, Teer, and Mara. Even the Shep/Weir Ship thread is split on the Mara bit - some think he DID sleep with her, and then lied to Weir about it (which makes it worse). In a draft of "The Tower", Sheppard boots Mara out of his room, but scene was cut, which also leads folks to believe he DID enjoy a romp. I haven't seen "The Tower" so I can't state whether he did or not.

If a woman has to fight him off, that would be rape. One night stands are just physical thrills (no matter who is instigating) with no intention of ever seeing that person again, and there is no respect involved. If one is a free and single young stud, and they want people think they are cheap and easy, then go ahead, be happy. Not all young, single men resort to one-night-stands on a regular basis.

However, Sheppard is a man in an important professional position, whose actions affect not only him, but hundreds of other people. Going on missions and behaving like a young buck is counter-productive to the overall Atlantis mission, and could have serious ramifications. He really should be reprimanded for his actions in some episodes. That's probably something I would like to see.

I'm, apparently, watching an ENTIRELY different show. There is only one CANON/proven ep of shep sleeping with someone. There is no canon proof of anyone but ONE.

And if the girls are agreeable, how in the heck is he disrespecting them by KISSING them. Or admiring them. Or flirting a bit. Cause..I hold by he slept with ONE. Prove me wrong. Only, canon wise...you can't. If you're bound and deteremined he's a slut...you're gonna say he's slept with every woman he's looked at.

Shep is always ALWAYS respectful to women.

I still don't get people thinking he about raped Teyla in Conversion. ::shakes head and shakes head::

Seriously. I watch a completely different show and I gotta say...I like mine better. And I really wonder that people ::generalizing:: who say they adore/love Shep keep saying he's these horrible things.

PG15
January 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM
If he did respect women, he wouldn't sleep with them all now, would he?

And who did he sleep with? And I'm talking about canon ones too, no speculation allowed.

If he is so charming and respects them, why is it he doesn't have a serious relationship with someone on Atlanits

Probably because he's not physically attracted to anyone there.

but is drawn towards alien women he knows he doesn't have a shot at with in a long lasting relationship?

Why CAN'T he have a long-term relationship with them? And I'm talking about women that draws Shep's facy, not the other way around.

As far as respecting Weir and Teyla is concerened:

He showed true intentions by forcing Teyla into a kiss in Conversion

Yep, and the fact that he was turning into a bug has NOTHING to do with it, right?

and the only reason he wanted to volunteer to be inhabited by the alien in Long Goodbye was because he thought he might get some 'Weir action' and have an excuse to do it.

Prove it. As far as I know, Weir requested it.

Edit: And yes, Chaya. The only reason he was charming her was to get laid. He go what he wanted at the end. Have we seen her again? I don't think so. Why? Because he got what he wanted and moved on. If he were true, he would have pursued it no matter what.

Did he get what he "wanted" at the end? Not that I saw. If we're going to speculate, I can say that he knows he won't have a real relationship with her, and therefore left her alone to defend her people. There was no point in hanging around anymore.

prion
January 4th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I'm, apparently, watching an ENTIRELY different show. There is only one CANON/proven ep of shep sleeping with someone. There is no canon proof of anyone but ONE.

And if the girls are agreeable, how in the heck is he disrespecting them by KISSING them. Or admiring them. Or flirting a bit. Cause..I hold by he slept with ONE. Prove me wrong. Only, canon wise...you can't. If you're bound and deteremined he's a slut...you're gonna say he's slept with every woman he's looked at.

Shep is always ALWAYS respectful to women.

I still don't get people thinking he about raped Teyla in Conversion. ::shakes head and shakes head::

Agreed. If he was grabbing their asses and pinching them, then he'd be disrespectful. But he's never done that (although he's had that done to HIM!). And so he smiles at women... and? It's not a leering smile. He likes to smile. He's an optimist. If kissing a couple women makes him a 'slut' (which realistically, is a degrading term applied to women, not men), then virtually every single guy on TV is one!

I mean if you want bad behavior in that department, take a look at Rodney in "Grace Under Pressure," but then he can sorta be excused due to brain damage/anoxia, something and a socially challenged childhood ;)

But as for the tally...

Shep kissed Chaya in "Sanctuary." As far as we know, that's ALL he did.
Under buggy influence, he pinned Teyla to the wall and kissed her in "Conversion," but it certainly wasn't a romantic kiss. He was mutating into something else, and to me, that looked more like domination than anything else.
In "Tower," Mara tossed herself on him literally, but there's no indication anything happened. Just that look on his face when she starts talking about him being ruler is a good indication that he's not going to do anything.
In "Epiphany," yes, I'm 100% sure he slept with Teer because she'd been making hints for months, he was stuck there, he found her nice and never expected to leave, so....
And in "Long Goodbye" (SPOILERWeir kissed Shep, but neither one was in control of their body, so it doesn't count.SPOILER END)

But back to what I'd like to see if I were muse and could influence the writers... if they are determined to pair him up with a woman, why not someone his own age? I mean, cripes, women don't turn to dust after they hit 30.

I'd like to see some backstory hinted with Shep, military if nothing else.

After watching "Long Goodbye," I'd like to see more on Weir kicking butt :)

Linzi
January 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I, for one, am sick and tired of the Sheppard bashing that's been going on, especially by people who are so called Sheppard fans.
As many have said here we only have canon that he slept with Teer after knowing her for months. I agree with Merlin and Prion's excellent posts.

If some people want to think Sheppard has slept around and is a serial womanizer, then that's your opinion, but don't state things as canon that are conjecture on your part.

Sheppard is NOT in a relationship with anybody, no matter how much some posters want him to be, so he is free and single.

I hope none of this negativity gets back to Joe Flanigan, who I'm sure would be horrified by all the negativity here and in a few other threads about his character. I especially was disappointed to read in another thread that this animosity is spilling over onto Joe Flanigan himself, when one poster called the actor a flirt and even suggested he was making the character like that because he's like that himself. That, to my mind, is not only making sweeping generalizations about somebody the poster doesn't personally know, but could also be deemed as disrespectful to Joe Flanigan and his WIFE and family.

Beal
January 5th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Even if he did sleep with Chaya and Mara, that still only makes 3 ladies in two years. If you ask me that's almost monk like.

IWantToBelieve
January 5th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Things I want to see in season 3:

Definitely lose the reset button, a big pet peeve. If someone is injured in one episode, have a small carryover. Nothing big just something. If there's personal fall-out, give a line to it.

Take more time to craft stories. There have been too many episodes in season two that had gaping plot holes.

I agree about a brainstorm meeting where they should sit down and figure out where they want to go in season three.

More McKay-Sheppard banter (okay, I'm a McShep whore, I admit it).

More Weir and Carson mixed in.

Team episodes off-world. Ronon saving the day (cause damn if he's not just that kind of guy).

Now that I've actually discussed the point of the thread, I want to discuss this ShepWhore thing.

So - some gross generalizations. Firstly, if Shep's a whore/slut that doesn't respect women, then I suppose the world's full of at least 95% of manWhores (course, I already figured this - watch The Man Show, 'nuff said).

Kiss the girl, make them cry, Georgie Pordgie pudding and pie.

Canon has established Sheppard slept with ONE (as a student of three advanced calculus classes I'm pleased to say I can count to at least ten without my fingers). I suppose being stuck on a world with no hope of getting out, being injured and alone, and spending six months waiting for your people to find a way - well, I'd imagine he was craving some closeness and warmth. And you know, she kind of led the dog to the bone, also, hence the "I wouldn't have ran five (or was it ten) miles".

Chaya? *blinks and looks around* He SLEPT with Chaya? Why didn't someone tell me? Seriously, 'cause all I saw was a kiss and Sheppard being incredibly flattered that she was interested in him, and him all giddy like a school boy because a girl liked him back.

In fact, if I quite recall, Rodney was the one who was actually quite the ass to Chaya because she wouldn't do what he wanted.

And, with no sense of any order (because my entire life is kind of that way), back in Siege III, Sheppard walks forward after being beamed down, and Weir runs down, grabs him and gives him a big hug. Poor John stood there, surprised by the emotion, but managed to awkwardly hug her back because, you know, it's rude to not hug back when you're hugged. It's a hugging thing. Now, personally, I'm not into hugging because it's that touchy-feely crap, but I suppose after being almost obliterated in a suicide run to save lives and everyone thinking this man whom they've spent the past year with through thick and thin was miraculously saved - well, emotions going to be there, and an overwhelmed "Thank God you're still alive" hug can be forgiven.

Now (back to the spoiler tags) The Tower was a humor episode. Sheppard got...well...arrested if you will, by the local bad guys. These nobles were not the...noblest of people. Sheppard's attractive, and the lady that pinched his ass, well, she's the slut. Now, if Sheppard had pinched her ass - but I digress.

Mara came into his room, and dropped her robe, and with reasonable certainty, the majority of men would've reacted exactly like Sheppard. The fact is, we don't see him telling her no, and pushing her out the door, but we DO see him respond to the ruler bit and some common sense return. A naked woman throwing herself at him...it'd fairly understandable that he had a momentary loss of control and responded. In my limited MAN knowledge, there wasn't anything whorish about tasting the candy offered. And there it stops because we DON'T see them in bed after the fact, or anything further in the episode to prove he didn't sleep with her. The claim that he lied to Weir is rather petty. One, why would he lie. Weir isn't his mom. He's a big boy, and if he wanted to sleep with Mara, he could've. But, if you want to assume he's lying to Weir, than there's...wait a minute, you say you like the character? Because generally I don't like liars and if I think someone is a liar, well...anyway, screw logic back to the lying - why would he lie? Because he doesn't want to what? Have Beckett test him for STD's - cause I'm guessing if he had unprotected alien sex, he'd prefer not to get the clap or anything similarily distressing and would keep his doctor updated in confidence about his health.

And, as the morning is waning, and my laundry isn't, I'll finish with the Teyla kiss. I suppose having your DNA being rewritten, and changing into a mutant bug, is not excuse at all for grabbing your work-out partner and kissing non-consensually, because we all know that Sheppard is God, and even as he was losing control he shouldn't have lost...control.

Despite the valid statement that he did take advantage of Teyla by forcing a kiss, it wasn't rape. And by his reaction to the kiss (right before Beckett calls for him), he appears surprised by what happened, not even himself knowing where it came from. And I guess we'd have to say Carter tried to rape Jack, because what she did had a lot more...physicality to it. But, wait, wasn't she also under the influence of...but I guess it doesn't matter, and if Jack almost pounded Daniel into brain damage shortly after, it must have been his latent desire to be a bully or a murderer...

*The following post has been brought to you by Sarcasm Iz Us and if it offends you, then quit calling Sheppard a raping man whore and impinging on an actor's character for doing his job in a TV show*

Skydiver
January 5th, 2006, 04:31 AM
i'd actually like them to lose the emphasis on mckay. yeah, rod's funny but he's been the focus of quite a few eps. let's give someone else time

oh, and while they're at it, can rod lose his kiss of death syndrome???? poor dude's racking up a higher death toll than sam

FireCat
January 5th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I'm not going to step into the fire, too much, but I would like to see Sheppard get knocked down a peg or two because of his flirty behavior. It isn't very professional, and he is supposed to be a rather high echelon, role-model type character.

Otherwise, I would love to see an entire episode without the regs, that concentrates on a problem handled entirely by our best secondary characters, like Zelenka, Cadman, Lorne, the scientist who has a crush on McKay, the German woman who seems to work with Zelenka, Hermy. Let's see the "little guys" have an adventure together for a change. :hammond:

Elinor
January 7th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Here's what I'd like to see in s3:

Less Rodney-centric episodes. If I see another one any time soon I think I may bawl my eyes out! I liked McKay, but I feel the character is being overused and I'm starting to resent him. I don't want to feel like that. It's a great cast, so writers, please spread the love around.

More Sheppard action and whumping (a la 'The Defiant One') and a trip into his mind. What's made this guy the person he is? There's something deep and dark inside!

Exploration of the city. There must be loads of mysteries locked away in there just waiting to be opened up!

More aliens that look...um....well alien. Apart from the Wraith! I know the budget is tight, but it would be fun to meet some creatures completely un-human like!

and finally....

Get Sheppard to take his shirt off! We've seen Ronon and McKay shirtless this season, but not the heroic leading man. What's that all about for goodness sake?!!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-018.gif

Linzi
January 7th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Here's what I'd like to see in s3:

Less Rodney-centric episodes. If I see another one any time soon I think I may bawl my eyes out! I liked McKay, but I feel the character is being overused and I'm starting to resent him. I don't want to feel like that. It's a great cast, so writers, please spread the love around.

More Sheppard action and whumping (a la 'The Defiant One') and a trip into his mind. What's made this guy the person he is? There's something deep and dark inside!

Exploration of the city. There must be loads of mysteries locked away in there just waiting to be opened up!

More aliens that look...um....well alien. Apart from the Wraith! I know the budget is tight, but it would be fun to meet some creatures completely un-human like!

and finally....

Get Sheppard to take his shirt off! We've seen Ronon and McKay shirtless this season, but not the heroic leading man. What's that all about for goodness sake?!!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-018.gif
Great post Eli!
I want all that you want too!

I'm not sure a shirtless Sheppy would be good enough for some though, to really fulfill the Kirk requirements, it would need to be ripped off of him, in a manly yet gratuitous way. LOL!

gooner_diva
January 7th, 2006, 01:45 AM
1. Less McKay centred episodes. He's great in small doses, but there's such a thing as overkill (Grace Under Pressure).

2. More emphasis on the city. Off-world episodes can also be done on SG-1. It's not like the Pegasus Galaxy has any less bland pre-technological societies to offer than the Milky Way. Seen that, done that. :rolleyes:

3. No Kirking. For those who want to see hot women, sure, bring them in. But they don't have to flirt or sleep with one of the main characters to be on the show (I hope). It would be nice for a change to see a good-looking alien woman who doesn't get a sudden bout of promiscuity at the sight of our heroes.

4. More Weir and Beckett. They are on the credits, you know. :S

5. More interaction between Weir and Teyla, maybe have them save the day for a change. It doesn't always have to be Sheppard and McKay (gasp!).

6. More character development for Sheppard. This "mysterious guy" cliche is getting rather tiresome.

7. A little more continuity. If McKay majorly screws up in one episode, you can't just never mention it again. Whatever happened to Sora? As previously mentioned, we need to lose that reset button NOW.

8. And last but not least, no Kindler episodes, more Binder (and Gero) stuff.

Elinor
January 7th, 2006, 03:32 AM
I'm not sure a shirtless Sheppy would be good enough for some though, to really fulfill the Kirk requirements, it would need to be ripped off of him, in a manly yet gratuitous way. LOL!

...and if they need an actress to come in and do that...I'm free most days!!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-011.gif

Linzi
January 7th, 2006, 04:47 AM
...and if they need an actress to come in and do that...I'm free most days!!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-011.gif
You'd be one of many in a long queue, I'm sure!

GeataRealt
January 7th, 2006, 06:38 AM
What I want...

1. Backstories pretty please. I mean come on it would be so nice to actually know something about the characters we are watching.

2.More Atlantis Based stories i mean there living in this amazing ancient city and all they do is go on offworld, the city would be way more fun to explore.

3.Some Weir and Teyla interaction and let us see a bit of one of the girl's poker nights, come on you know you want to.

4.Tell all the fans that are saying Sheppard is a slut to GIVE IT A REST ALREADY untill TPTB say otherwise, you can't prove he slept with more then one (and on this side of the Atlantic a slut is female) Oh and for those of who say the kiss in Conversion was rape, at the end of the episode she forgave him for it FOR GODS SAKE did she act like she had been raped ........................

....... ok i'm better now ......... eh i'm really really sorry if i offended anyone :S it's just that thing about Sheppard raping Teyla really pisses me off and i've been wanting to get that off my chest for a while.

Shep
January 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM
i'm intrigued that the Sheppard=whore discussion is still discussing. i have a theory, well, two actually, [it could be bunnies...oh wait. wrong show.]...

the first is that the whole notion of Sheppard=whore or Sheppard=Kirk wasn't created by the fans...it was created by Rodney. in dialogue. and then it's been subsequently repeated by Rodney. a lot.

i find it interesting that so many fans are ignoring the fact that Rodney implying that Shep is a whore isn't saying something about Sheppard, it's saying something about Rodney. it's Rodney characterization, not Sheppard characterization.

which leads me to theory number two, which is technically just an observation. it says a lot more about the fans that perceive Sheppard as a whore than it does about Sheppard actually being one or not.

:::starts the jump clock and high fives IWantToBelieve on the way out:::

Linzi
January 7th, 2006, 02:26 PM
i'm intrigued that the Sheppard=whore discussion is still discussing. i have a theory, well, two actually, [it could be bunnies...oh wait. wrong show.]...

the first is that the whole notion of Sheppard=whore or Sheppard=Kirk wasn't created by the fans...it was created by Rodney. in dialogue. and then it's been subsequently repeated by Rodney. a lot.

i find it interesting that so many fans are ignoring the fact that Rodney implying that Shep is a whore isn't saying something about Sheppard, it's saying something about Rodney. it's Rodney characterization, not Sheppard characterization.

which leads me to theory number two, which is technically just an observation. it says a lot more about the fans that perceive Sheppard as a whore than it does about Sheppard actually being one or not.

You sure you're not a psychologist?
Very interesting points! Never thought of it like that, but now you mention it....LOL!

IWantToBelieve
January 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Shep, very good insights. It's something I clued in on a fic I wrote recently. It's Rodney's insecurities/jealously that brings out the Kirk comments, and I don't mind them, because it fits for Rodney, perfectly.

Shep
January 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
You sure you're not a psychologist?
Very interesting points! Never thought of it like that, but now you mention it....LOL!

lol. thanks. i'm pretty well read on the subject actually. people's motivations fascinate me. but first and foremost, i'm a storyteller...which could subconsciously be why i'm pretty well read on the subject. huh. also, i think because that's how i'd tell the story, show-don't-tell, that i see it when others do?

Shep, very good insights. It's something I clued in on a fic I wrote recently. It's Rodney's insecurities/jealously that brings out the Kirk comments, and I don't mind them, because it fits for Rodney, perfectly.

mer-kee. and yes, it's totally Rodney's insecurities and resultant jealousy. he's projecting because it hurts him at some level. and i LOVE Rodney for it. i love his weaknesses because they make him so rich as a character, and i love that despite his own issues, he genuinely likes, admires and respects Sheppard, because if he didn't, none of that would piss him off.

and thanks for the green, yo.

alfirin_kirinki
January 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
See, for me - aside from Shep=Big Raving Homo Woefully In Love With Rodney But Too Far In Denial To Admit It (not that I ship - I just take it for granted) factor - it's not Shep getting some that bothers me.

I just don't like the women, I don't feel it adds anything other than fiddlefodder for the teenage boys who watch it, and I do think it detracts from the integrity of the series. It's not The New Adventures of Sheppard's Wang: it's Stargate Atlantis, for God's sake.

Shep
January 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
See, for me - aside from Shep=Big Raving Homo Woefully In Love With Rodney But Too Far In Denial To Admit It (not that I ship - I just take it for granted) factor - it's not Shep getting some that bothers me.

I just don't like the women, I don't feel it adds anything other than fiddlefodder for the teenage boys who watch it, and I do think it detracts from the integrity of the series. It's not The New Adventures of Sheppard's Wang: it's Stargate Atlantis, for God's sake.

and i'd both disagree with you, and counter that your perception of the character is hugely influenced by, well, your perception of the character. you see slash. that will put any women involved, or not depending on what side of the table you're on, in direction competition with your OTP. of course that's gonna bug you.

alfirin_kirinki
January 7th, 2006, 04:57 PM
and i'd both disagree with you, and counter that your perception of the character is hugely influenced by, well, your perception of the character. you see slash. that will put any women involved, or not depending on what side of the table you're on, in direction competition with your OTP. of course that's gonna bug you.

As I said: I don't ship. McShep is like background noise to me - I see it, but I don't care about it one iota. It's definitely not my OTP. That would be Stackhouse/Markham, for what it's worth.

And I do see het. I see Ronon/Teyla in neon lights and unrequited Zelenka/Weir and Caldwell/Weir, quite blatantly. As well as unrequited Weir/Sheppard.

In fact, the comment about Sheppard and McKay was partly tongue in cheek.

I wouldn't want Shep to be Kirking with any hot young alien males, either. Or anyone. Not even Lorne, who I can't stand and have no personal investment in at all. I don't mind him getting some, but it's becoming more frequent and I don't want to see my favourite scifi show degenerate into, as I said: The New Adventures of Sheppard's Wang. Not even the New Adventures of Sheppard's Wang: The Village Years.

Shep
January 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
As I said: I don't ship. McShep is like background noise to me - I see it, but I don't care about it one iota. It's definitely not my OTP. That would be Stackhouse/Markham, for what it's worth.

And I do see het. I see Ronon/Teyla in neon lights and unrequited Zelenka/Weir and Caldwell/Weir, quite blatantly. As well as unrequited Weir/Sheppard.

In fact, the comment about Sheppard and McKay was partly tongue in cheek.

I wouldn't want Shep to be Kirking with any hot young alien males, either. Or anyone. Not even Lorne, who I can't stand and have no personal investment in at all. I don't mind him getting some, but it's becoming more frequent and I don't want to see my favourite scifi show degenerate into, as I said: The New Adventures of Sheppard's Wang. Not even the New Adventures of Sheppard's Wang: The Village Years.

i stand by my comments. Sheppard isn't a whore, and he's not the Jim Kirk of the Stargate universe. Rodney has issues and he's projecting those issues on to Sheppard...and for whatever reason, fans are taking that as canon.

Wolf Eire
January 8th, 2006, 03:40 AM
i stand by my comments. Sheppard isn't a whore, and he's not the Jim Kirk of the Stargate universe. Rodney has issues and he's projecting those issues on to Sheppard...and for whatever reason, fans are taking that as canon.

I think you should give the fans more credit than that. People think he's a "whore" because some people (now don't bother debating with me because some people believe it even if other don't) that he has slept with 3 women, flirted with others and even eyed up some others.

It's definitely not my OTP. That would be Stackhouse/Markham, for what it's worth.

You ship a defunct prop with a dead one? :S

See, for me - aside from Shep=Big Raving Homo Woefully In Love With Rodney But Too Far In Denial To Admit It (not that I ship - I just take it for granted) factor

Wow. I wonder amongst all his flirting with and eyeing up (down to the subconscious level see Aurora and Condemned) and possibly sleeping with a multitude of women where you could possibly come up with that.

Ancient 1
January 8th, 2006, 07:06 AM
What would I like to see or hear in the futeure? How about this:

Sheppard: This is Atlantis to Deadalus; we'll have lift off at T - 10...9...8...

alfirin_kirinki
January 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I think you should give the fans more credit than that. People think he's a "whore" because some people (now don't bother debating with me because some people believe it even if other don't) that he has slept with 3 women, flirted with others and even eyed up some others.

Quite right. I don't need to be given my opinions by other characters in the show. And I've never said he was any more of a tart than any other male, just that I'd rather not see it on Atlantis.

You ship a defunct prop with a dead one? :S

Yes. I just finished a chaptered season one fic and am now working on a sequel to it with the person who beta'd Pieces. The great thing about the world of Stargate is that there are so many ways to bring people back from the dead. And as you will have noted with people like Kavanagh - someone doesn't have to be on screen for them to be around.

Wow. I wonder amongst all his flirting with and eyeing up (down to the subconscious level see Aurora and Condemned) and possibly sleeping with a multitude of women where you could possibly come up with that.

Hahahahahaha. Take a look at some of the posts here (http://www.livejournal.com/~the_gay_chip) and you'll understand.

prion
January 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM

ROdney made a reference to Sheppard as being Kirk ("Sanctuary"). However, that's Rodney's perception of what Kirk is - a womanizer (and what male lead character in a 60s show didn't fit that category? It's the way things were back then on TV!). However, wish people would look up the definition of slut and whore before applying them to any character on SGA, particularly Shep (since slut is exclusively limited to women, and last I saw, he hasn't had a sex change operation).

Does Shep smile at women? Sure, he's a guy and he's not dead! Has he slept with one? Yes (well, that episode hasn't aired yet in the States) but he didn't do it for any ulterior motives.

But anyway, shouldn't discussion of that topic head on over to the Kirking thread?

But yes, as a suggestion to the writers, don't have alien women constantly throwing themselves all over Shep.

LORD MONK
January 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Without reading anyones post because that would just want me to say something else.

FORD!!!

Us taking out a Hive Ship without using Beam Tech.

Wildrat
January 11th, 2006, 02:00 PM
*No resetbutton

*No kirking. Romancing, watching but no kirking

*More background, especially Sheppard and Ronon

*More Atlantis-city

*No shipping

*More Hermiod

*No-shirt-Shep

*Mitchell and Sheppard in an episode together (Hey, it was wishing!)

Domesticated Equine
January 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
A strong season-long story arc.
More continuity, even little things in stand-alone episodes are better than nothing.
Flesh out the characters, let the viewers come to know them and care about them.
Add more intensity and tension to the episodes. I want the hour to fly by and be left hanging on my seat waiting for the next episode.

Mason~
January 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Id like to see the wraith destroyed as I really do not like them, not as in the writer have done a good job creating them but because I don't think they are a race that should of been able to rival the ancients. Id like to see the Asguard walk all over them, the wraith come to our galaxy and the Asguard give them warning (as they do as a superior race) and then the Asguard destroy all the hive ships fast!!

Id also like SGA to find a planet where the ancient constructed their ships and weapons, with 1 ship ready made. The reason for it being ready made is that the ships are assembled automatically because the ancients are advanced enough to not have to do the labour themselves. All that is needed is to bring the materials needed to start the factory (bad word I know) working again, which could be one of the challenges in season 3. The ships takes years to build so we wouldn't become powerful fast which would keep us still vulnerable to attacks as 1 decent ship wouldn't be able to defend Atlantis and earth.

Also id like to see the ship being powered by a zpm which would be cool to have super strength shields like the ancient city :)

They should also be able to find in the Atlantis database how to construct zpm's and also drones and what other weapons the ancients had invented. Just because they know what technology they have doesn't mean it will be being used straight away.

A new race should be introduced, something similar to the Asguard if not more powerful and so many of them!! although the Asgaudr have been at war for a long time so don't have the military forces they could

Although this may be a little to much to fast :p

Yeade
January 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Given some of the S3 spoilers, I have to second everyone who hoped for a kicking three-way war between the Wraith, the nanovirus creators, and the Atlanteans.

Then you've got life-sucking alien vampires who are heavily factioned but desperate to reach Earth on the one hand, an unknown power with advanced technology who at the very least are amoral when it comes to humans on the other, and the poor, stressed expedition in the middle trying to simultaneously defeat the Wraith, divine the intentions of the folks who built a nanovirus that targeted humans, and hold, control, and explore Atlantis, both to fulfill the original mission and because the city's probably the most sought after piece of real estate in the entire galaxy. And this whole mess is probably further complicated by interference from Earth and other Milky Way powers. Hell, why not throw in the Genii or whatever other advanced Pegasus cultures are out there and make it a free-for-all!

Imagine the mad scramble for allies and resources! Spying and diplomatic subterfuge! Running military engagements across the galaxy in which you can't predict who's going to show up and who's going to be on whose side! The opportunity to do about every kind of plot under the sun! And everything would make sense!

That would be great. :D

Skyler
January 11th, 2006, 05:47 PM
What I would like to see in season 3:

As a whole:

BACKSTORY! The two that comes to my mind is Sheppard and Weir. They both are supposed to be the leaders of Atlantis and we don't know alot about them. What about Teyla and more about how she became the leader of her people? What is happening with her people? And Ronon, we hardly know anything about him. And poor Beckett I feel we know even LESS about.

Character development...I agree with quite a number of posts already that they should cut back on the Rodney development and focus on other characters. I want to see more balanced stories that involved the entire crew on some important level. I enjoyed Coup D'etat because I felt each member had an important part to the developing story. More stories like that.

The only reason I would want Atlantis cut off from Earth is to put less emphasis on what's going on with the races of that galaxy and force the crew to explore and interact more people from the Pegasus Galaxy. I think someone posted about a fight for survival. In a sense being forced to explore more worlds and interact with different people would naturally develop from that fight. There has to be more then just the Wraith and Genii in the Pegasus Galaxy. I do confess I like Caldwell and the tension he brings. If they would do it for any other reason than that I don't think I would go for it.

Also I am not a big fan of cross-overs either. There are plenty of stories and things to be fleshed out with THESE characters. The only cross-over I would go for is maybe one alternative universe episode, that has some serious character development for some of our Atlantis people.

For individuals:

Sheppard:

I am not going to get into the whole did he sleep with the women or not business, but what I want say is that I would rather see his backstory and/or development of his relationships with the other Atlantis crew members than some babe of the week. Instead of him getting stranded on planet with some random blonde, have him stranded on a planet with Ronon, Beckett, Teyla, or Weir. (I didn't list McKay because his relationship with him has been explored, although I wish for them to continue that!) But while stranded maybe he could share stories of his past and enlight us viewers in the process! I just think that more emphasis should be placed on what has made John Sheppard who he is. More Shep whump would be nice. :)

Weir:

I have enjoyed the dark turn Weir seems to be making towards the end of this season, so I would say from that next season I would like to see some fallout of it OR I would like to see them push her further closer to the edge. I don't want to get flamed by Weir fans (cause I am a huge one) but I would also like to see Weir make a serious mistake by becoming too aggressive and/or dark that forces her to really look at where she's at personally. I DON'T want this over looked by the writers a la the "reset button". She has started to slowly abandon her morals that made her who she is, and there is always in real life a personal fall-out when someone does this. I would like to see a development of her relationship with Teyla that has been backgrounded since "Suspicion". They are both women, and both leaders of their people, I find it hard to believe they interact so little as it is being shown now. Also I would like to see them actually have her USE the skills she was probably brought to Atlantis for in the first place: diplomacy and translating langauges (a la "Ephipany") being two big ones. She is supposed to be able to read and understand Ancient, they are in an Ancient CITY? They can't find things for Weir to do to use that knowledge? Come on.

Teyla:

I feel like in season 2 she has really been put in the background. I would like to see her more involved. Again, I would like to see a more developed relationship with her and Weir. Also I would like to see her relationship with other members besides Sheppard explored. I like this thing with Ronon they have going, but I would like more Teyla/Beckett Teyla/McKay moments (non-shippy ones). I would like to see Teyla lead off-world teams and have Sheppard be in a position where he can not.

Ronon:

I want more backstory. He seems like he has a very interesting past, but I feel it has been pretty much halted since "Runner" and "Trinity". Where did all his people go? Why does he not visit them? It would be nice to see more of his people and their culture. It would be interesting to pair him and Weir for an episode on some off-world mission gone bad (non-shippy)

Beckett:

For pete's sake, if your going to make this guy a regular, give him some meatier episodes. I LOVE Beckett and Paul, but I feel like they are wasting his talent on the show. "Posioning the Well" was AWESOME, but then I feel like there has not been a very solid Beckett episode since. Well, maybe "Conversion". I want to know why he went into medicine, what sacrifices he made to be in the profession he's in, what makes him tick. How did he develop this deep sense of compassion he has? Something... anything! I would like to see him interact more with Teyla, who I feel he gets very little time with (non-shippy), also with Sheppard, and Ronon. I have enjoyed the scenes between him and Weir, I wish for those to continue.

McKay:

He has had alot of development. I have enjoyed the episodes that have focused on him, but there have been too many imo. I would like to see him be forced into situations where he can't fix something on his own and he MUST work with someone else. I would like to see him be forced to ASK for help, something like he is seriously hurt and someone like Ronon or Teyla must save HIS butt. I want to see a fall-out from "Trinity" like an alien race coming to look for revenge for the damage he caused.

Ok that was really long, but that is my wish list for season 3.

Oh yeah, and MORE Sheppard/Weir moments (SHIPPY!) I am sorry, but I really want these two to get together

LORD MONK
January 11th, 2006, 08:18 PM
WOW, after the review someone would like to see I ran out of ideas.

More different ships and more Ancient ships and discoveries on Atlantis like a ship or something cool will even work.

If Shep was a Whore he would have done that spy in the cell and then said HA. But he didn't and I want to see him getting with some more ladies.

Wick
January 11th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Id love to see Kavanagh make an appearance as a guest star to stir up trouble like for example they find some tech that is kavs area of expertiese and they need him as he is the only one who can help

Lauren
January 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Ok, here are my two bits worth. I am a huge fan of both Stargate shows and have even worked on them some as background. So, for season three, here's what I'd like.

1)Way more continuity of storyline. It makes shows so much more interesting. Harder to follow if you just watch an epi here and there, but much more satisfying for us die-hards. The ever looming Wraith presence isn't enough anymore. And have the characters get into trouble on a more personal level. Have Tayla go on a revenge mission or something very counter to her usual "harmony and peace" stance. Have Rodney be forced to be nice and use diplomacy...and have him be happy and non crabby for an hour or two. More ethical dilemas please.

2)Backstories/Character Development. Please. We know a little about McKay because of the couple of epis on SG1, but nothing really about the others. Like why would Weir leave her man for a trip to another galaxy? She obviously loved him. Does Shepard have any family? Adopted, foster care...what? Let's meet up with Ronin's old love...that's always fun for some emotional moments. Stuff like that.

3)Heightened intensity. The shows don't have much punch to them. No tension or "suck you and and spit you out" kinda feel. For that I watch Battlestar Galactica. The writers should watch some of those episodes for ideas on tension and intensity.

4)Don't think we're dumb. Don't spell everything out for us and also give us situations that make us think and wonder. Puzzles that we can figure out and don't require genius level IQ and a super notebook/computer to figure it out.

5)Make tense situations really important. We always know that the good guys will triumph and get away or get the shield up just in time. I feel the need for a little more flaw. Have half of Atlantis destroyed in an attack. Put a character into a coma or make them have to fight through rehab after an attack. If they're more human we'll care more. Have someone die. And for pity sakes, don't make everyone amazing at what they do. Flaws are so much more interesting.

FallenAngelII
January 15th, 2006, 04:08 AM
What is this Reset Button thou speak of?

Skyler
January 15th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Ok, here are my two bits worth. I am a huge fan of both Stargate shows and have even worked on them some as background. So, for season three, here's what I'd like.

2)Backstories/Character Development...... Like why would Weir leave her man for a trip to another galaxy? She obviously loved him. Does Shepard have any family? Adopted, foster care...what? Let's meet up with Ronin's old love...that's always fun for some emotional moments. Stuff like that.

5)Make tense situations really important. We always know that the good guys will triumph and get away or get the shield up just in time. I feel the need for a little more flaw. Have half of Atlantis destroyed in an attack. Put a character into a coma or make them have to fight through rehab after an attack. If they're more human we'll care more. Have someone die. And for pity sakes, don't make everyone amazing at what they do. Flaws are so much more interesting.

#2, YES YES YES YES. I really like your question about why Weir left her guy. I would REALLY like to know why Weir, Sheppard, McKay, and Beckett all choose to go to Atlantis.

I really like #5 on your list, especially the flaws part. That why I have really enjoyed seeing Weir get 'dark' and lose some of her morals that she started out with in season 1. I would like them to continue this to the point that she goes to the edge. I would love to see her make a huge mistake and see how she deals with it.

I think we have seen flaws in McKay and now a little more in Weir, but I would love to see some flaws in Teyla. That girl has to have some dark spots in her personality. I wonder how she would react if in an episode she believed someone like Weir or Sheppard dead? I would love to see her go all "GI Jane".

I would love to see a character really go to the edge and then have to find themselves again and go on a kind of "redemption" quest. Right now my vote is for Weir, because of everything that has happened to her up to this point in season 2.

alfirin_kirinki
January 15th, 2006, 07:46 AM
What is this Reset Button thou speak of?

It's the phenomenon of hitting an end of an episode, a neat resolution and then the whole fandango NEVER BEING SPOKEN OF AGAIN.

It's basically the way the slate is wiped clean each time, in an almost Groundhog Day-like fashion.

Auralis
January 18th, 2006, 04:23 AM
What i would like to see:

Make the wraither interesting villans, not some stupid goons that hiss and growl.
The one on defiant one and condemed where good examples of good wraith, all others where just plain crap.

Ditch that whole retrovirus stuff, its so bad its not even funny.

Sit down and plan the series out in broad strokes, and then refine each season.
Give the series an arc, beside fight the wraith.

Adjust the story to the characters, not the characters to thr story. Making the world and the characters fit the plot is the total wrong way, it creates a massiv continuty problem down the road.

Better continuty is needed as well.

Make us CARE for the characters, especialy the leads. As it stands now, i don't care much about them. Why, because the characters and world is adjusted to the plot of the week. Which makes the characters look stupid, which results in people not carying about them.
For us to care about the characters, we need backstoris on them, and they have to be consitently written, so we can at least make educated guesses why and how they would react. This leads to the fact that from that subconsicus knowledge of how they are going to act, tension arises in situations that are tough for them.

Don't do everything selfcontained in the episodes, forshadow events long before they happen, drop little hints here and there about what is going on.
It will make for a much more intens viewing, figuring out what is realy going on. Prime exampel of this is Babylon 5
This however requiers forplaning of the series at least a season in advange.

Linzi
January 18th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'd love to see Kolya again. I really want him to have a showdown with Sheppard and kick his ass good and proper this time, (I know, I'm a whump addict).

Skyler
January 22nd, 2006, 07:05 AM
Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'd love to see Kolya again. I really want him to have a showdown with Sheppard and kick his ass good and proper this time, (I know, I'm a whump addict).

Oh yeah.. that's a good one. I would LOVE a final showdown between those two. And yea, whumpage would be awesome. :sheppardanime21:

Magneto
January 22nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
I would like to see an Atlantis A.I introduced like Melia the hologram lady! :D

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=22947

Vespasianus
January 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Well...

In short: character development and more arc-based stories.

I agree on discovering the backrounds of the characters. For example the producers hinted that Mitchell and Sheppard knew each other before the Atlantis expedition, or the official site says Sheppard's father is/was a highly respected Cold War colonel, so IMHO the creators should dig deeper into these themes.

Although I didn't like the crossover in Critical Mass (mainly because of the stupidly introduced plot) and Grace Under Pressure, I would like to see more crossovers real crossovers between the two shows. I mean SG-1 could show up to help out the expedition from an extremely difficult situation, or vice versa.

Character developments: I would really like to know the history of the relationships in Atlantis. Many members of the expedition worked together on the Atlantis outpost, so there are plenty of history. We could discover for example how Beckett and Weir got to know each other, how she handpicked him, etc...

I'm really getting tired of the Wraith, I hope they get rid of them soon.

shol'va
January 23rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
I can't think of one episode in either season 1 or 2 of SGA that really stands out among the others. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy either series or that all the episodes were boring, but when I think of SG1, a few really well written episodes automatically pop into my head (eg The Nox, The Torment Of Tantulas, Hathor) where as with SGA none come to mind.

With that said, this is what I'd really like to see in series 3 of Atlantis:

Exploration of planets with some really weird scifi stuff inhabiting them.
More interaction between Ronon and Rodney as well as the team (Sheppard, Dex, Mckay and Teyla) working more together as a group.
More thought put into episodes with a minimum of plot holes.
Less interaction between Atlantis and Earth.
An episode or two involving the Athosians.
Information on the Wraiths equivalent to a system of government.
Some kind of treaty with an advanced civilization (such as the Tok'ra/Tau'ri alliance in SG1)
More Ford (what's he up to? How are the rest of his superhuman holier than thou group doing? How many more peoples lives have they destroyed because of the enzyme?)
Politics. They're in a completely different galaxy to the MW and I'd like to see how much politics differ in comparison.
Some more history of the Ancients.
Kavanagh Im really enjoying the development of his character so far. Id like to see the ramifications of his being accused of a traitor in Critical Mass.

I watched Michael last night and thought it was a step up from previous episodes of this season, the idea for the episode was a really good one (and due time for it too). I know there are plans to continue this storyline and that gives me hope for season 3.

Lexa Jayde
January 23rd, 2006, 03:52 AM
more Elizabeth!!!!! yep thats it from me!!!! ;)

sunny
January 24th, 2006, 03:59 PM
First of all I would like to say that I haven't seen anything beyond the first series, but I spoil myself crazy on this forum. So my view may be a bit askew. But, anyway: Things I would like to see sometime in the future of this little show we call Stargate:Atlantis...

1. Character development and backstory. How John got in trouble in Afghanistan. How Dr. Weir became such a respected diplomat and the ways that it influences her decision making seeing as how she's had to compromise her views a bit (ie: Poisoning the Well, The Gift, Micheal and maybe even a little in Coup D'etat.) Of course the little sides of secondary characters is interesting too. I imagine the somewhat alienation from your own world would help w/the overall bonding of the people living in Atlantis.

2. Foreign ALIEN LANGUAGES. I know granted, not everyone is a Tolkien when it comes to inventing languages, but they don't have universal translators like on Trek, and I highly doubt that everyone in the Pegasus galaxy learned English attending grammar school. *Plus if they DO speak foreign languages then maybe it'll show off Elizabeth's skills, like in 'The Gift' when she translated that Wraith log.* (see that's kinda like character development too) ;)

3. Less of the 'Hot Alien Princess of the Week'. Yes, granted there are inevitabilities of attraction due to the prettyfulness of the off world team, but Capt. Kirk only lasted a few seasons on TV, if I remember correctly. And more 'Hot Alien Prince of the Week' for the ladies. And not just Teyla but what about Weir, Cadman, Heightmeyer, or even random scientist of the week? Equal opportunity baby!

4. Wraithal Society. We know they're cannibals when need be *Alive anyone?* But we need to see how they interact w/each other, I mean besides the all-you-can-eat-buffet attitude that drives them towards Atlantis to get to Earth, what's their motivation? Galactic domination? Are they pawns in someone else's game? Do they take out the competition for a more superior race who created them? Are they closely related to the Ancients since it seems that they've evloved AFTER their arrival in Pegasus? *just don't make them like the Reavers in Firefly, that's kinda played out* So basically make them more meaty, I know that's not really Stargate's style to 'show off the bad guys', but they seem to be loosing their menace.

So, that's my two pence worth. *scurries back to the Character threads*

Lauren
January 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM
So just to recap, we all seem to want to have two main things.

1) Back stories. Who are these people and why should we care?
2) Story Arcs. Have a plotline that spans seasons, not just episodes.

Does that sound about right? I for one agree. And let's have some more interesting good guys and bad guys. Make their motivations less grand and more petty...the guest stars of the episodes I mean.

Do you suppose the creators will ever read this? I'm sure they've thought of many of these things before, but something must be getting in the way of them doing so.

Lauren

Skyler
January 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM
2. Foreign ALIEN LANGUAGES. I know granted, not everyone is a Tolkien when it comes to inventing languages, but they don't have universal translators like on Trek, and I highly doubt that everyone in the Pegasus galaxy learned English attending grammar school. *Plus if they DO speak foreign languages then maybe it'll show off Elizabeth's skills, like in 'The Gift' when she translated that Wraith log.* (see that's kinda like character development too) ;)

Oh, hey I REALLY like that idea. That would be a very nice way to ensure Weir having in active role on Atlantis. Torri said it herself in interviews that Weir has the potential as a character to become very stale (although I believe she used another word) if they don't keep giving her more things to do than just sending off teams and saying "good luck". Also this might give the writers the opportunity to write more scenes between Teyla and Weir. Teyla IS from the Pegasus Galaxy and maybe she would know this languages and she could assist Weir.

I would like to add also foreign alien CULTURES. Like Teyla and Ronon's people. We need to see more of their cultures. I liked "Critical Mass" because it showed us a bit more of Teyla's people. I would like to see Halling come back. I really liked his interactions with the various Atlantis crew, espeically Sheppard and Weir. Where WAS he in "Critical Mass"???

vaberella
January 25th, 2006, 10:06 AM
1. I'd like to see more on Teyla. I need to get a view of Teyla's dad or the man that claims to be Teyla's father...a memory or whatever. I get this feeling that he looks more Wraith thatn we're lead to believe. Also..what's up with Teyla's mother? I figure if the father is not a Wraith, possibly her mother. We were told in 'Lost Boys' that there is dissention within the Wraith groups, so their not all the same. And in 'Suspicion' Teyla dreamt that she was a Wraith..much like Michael did....And then there's the fact that there is a society of humans that worship the Wraith..it made me wonder if Wraith's can have kids....and if they could..what would they look like?! Especially if mated with a human.

a. Side note to number 1: I just want to see if Teyla has been practicing tapping into her Wraith gene..or is just chillin' on it!

2. I need to find some closure with Ford...I'm not liking the ending I saw of him throwing himself into a beam of light for a Wraith cruiser.

3. Ronon...much like everyone else..I would also like to see some more development of him...he's a bit too....You know! Grunt, punch, grunt, kick, grunt, shoot! Grunt, Grunt, Grunt!

4. Sheppard just being less into the ladies..not that I blame him of course. He is a healthy man, who probably had a healthy sex life before coming to the god for saken planet. But I would like to see a bit more development on this Ancient gene..and how much of it he has.

And I can't wait for all the development, after seeing Michael..the Wraith prove to be far more interesting.

Metarock Sam
January 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Lets see more original stories some stories such as convergance was almost identical to Bane the whole mutation thing anyway. I would like to see more character depth so we can actually feel for the characters eg In SG-1 Sp9 ep Collateral Damage even though I admit it wasnt the greatist of episodes It gave more insight into Mitchells past and how tough his life has been.
Oh find out who made the Hot Zone virus please um possibly more ancient holographic recordings as seen in Rising and also an episode when eventually Atlantis takes of and they get to poilet the city around !!!

katrin
January 25th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I would like to see an Atlantis A.I introduced like Melia the hologram lady! :D

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=22947

YAY MAGNETO
i am right behind you on that AI idea ive got a character profile already on my hardrive for one anyone interested send me an email........

as for other ideas for season three i think we need to see more zelenka and his team as well as some of the *clears throat* lesser characters ya know the ones in the background the ones that support sheppard and the team... we all so know that they couldnt do it alone they need support.

ok thats my spill i do have other ideas wanna know em just email me with the subject line "gateworld: idea"

thanks yall

xkawaiix
January 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I wanna see some emotional whump for Shep and some physical whump for Weir. :)

Juice
January 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM
SPOILERS

I'd like to see 2 or maybe 3 episodes dedicated to the wraith heading to earth, the SGA team are trying to catch up and stop them as Earth isnt informed(err the wraith stole the ZMP), the wraith will arrive in 3 hours so all 3 eps are 24 stylee each being an hour of chasing the wraith, getting on the uber hive ship(the Ark) and blowing is up and escaping.

spg_1983
January 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Let's see im the muse responsible for the writers inspiration? Id go around apologizing to the rest of the muses for not doing my job for season 2.

alfirin_kirinki
January 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM
2. I need to find some closure with Ford...I'm not liking the ending I saw of him throwing himself into a beam of light for a Wraith cruiser.

You'll get some.

sporka42
January 31st, 2006, 06:19 AM
1. No possession stories. None. Nada. Zilch.

2. Don't let Kindler near a typewriter.

3. No more random babe of the week.

5. Get Weir more involved. Give her something to do.

6. Keep crossovers to a minimum.

7.Do not use Carter to belittle McKay and save the day.

To this list I'm going to add,

8: Find some decent allies that they can actually trust.

9: Do not use Carter to belittle McKay and save the day.

10: Let Weir have a relationship with someone. *NOT Sheppard!!* ( although I wouldn't object to her and Ronon.):ronan: :weir:

11: Informaion on Sheppard's backstory. Not just 'he has no family'. Tell us WHY? Or have someone he knows in AF on the Daedelous show up to give us some backstory. I love Sheppard but its a huge vaccum of no information.

12: Do not use Carter to belittle McKay and save the day.

13: More exploration of the Lantian planet/oceans.

14: More exploration of the City.

15: And finally... Please give Chuck-tech-the gateguy a real name.

GateLadyM
January 31st, 2006, 08:34 AM
1. More story arcs and less "stand-alone" or "reset button" episodes. For example, the transformation of Sheppard in "Conversion" should have had repercusions later. The Queen in "Lost Boys" should have recognized something in him that was different, etc.

2. Stop having Sheppard run his eyes up and down every female on the set. He is quickly becoming a joke, instead of the heroic lead character.

3. More responsibilities for Ronon. This is a character that hasn't reached his potential yet.

4. Stop the "ship" triangle hints. Shep/Weir/Teyla, or Ronon/Shep/Teyla. Gawd, it is awful. Make up your minds on pairings, or have no ship at all.

5. Recurring Wraith villian that we really get to know. SG1 has Ba'al, Apophis, Anubis. SGA has nothing.

6. Full names for Lorne and Chuck!

7. Let's see real aliens with intelligence, not just humans.

8. Bring Ford, Bates, Kavanagh back for some episodes.

9. Cut off contact with Earth again. Things have gotten too easy for our group.

10. Have Janus and his time travelling puddlejumper return.

shockwave
January 31st, 2006, 10:00 AM
add a few more writers, to decrease the rushing

maybe get a new showrunner as well, one with a lot of vision

don't let Paul Mullie write episodes on his own

shol'va
February 3rd, 2006, 04:14 AM
you know what... all the suggestions people have made, including myself, are totally valid, but out of everything, what i want to see is the atlantis team (sheppard, teyla etc) get really ****ed. i want to see them in a situation where it looks to the viewer as though there is no chance of them getting out. and i don't want them to "magically find a solution" i want it to last for at least 4 episodes. i don't care about ratings and making it drag out out for too long, i think it would add a lot to stargate and it would be a great chance for them to work together as a team and get out of it without it appearing too planned. i want to see them truly screwed.

Shep
February 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
i don't care about ratings and making it drag out out for too long,

but the producers do, because they *have* to. television is a business first and foremost. it would be really cool if the show could somehow imperil the team to a serious degree in a multiple story arc but they'd have to be very careful about how they did it.

Smo
February 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I would like to see:
1 some good cool weapon on Dedalus, to give Caldwell the chance to "save the day" not just get his but kicked time after time, and ofcourse i would like to see more of him takin over Atlantis or takein action into his own hands :D
2 exploration of Atlantis and starting treating her as a ship which she is
3 NO shipping! you have soap operas for that!
4 some insight to the Wraith culture or some deeper enemy to mess with
5 Weir loosing that one red shirt she keeps wearin on in every episode ;)

Skyler
February 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM
you know what... all the suggestions people have made, including myself, are totally valid, but out of everything, what i want to see is the atlantis team (sheppard, teyla etc) get really ****ed. i want to see them in a situation where it looks to the viewer as though there is no chance of them getting out. and i don't want them to "magically find a solution" i want it to last for at least 4 episodes. i don't care about ratings and making it drag out out for too long, i think it would add a lot to stargate and it would be a great chance for them to work together as a team and get out of it without it appearing too planned. i want to see them truly screwed.

I like that idea!!! Kinda like "how an the heck are they getting out of this???"

sunny
February 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM
You know what else would be cool? *Sorry if it's already been mentioned like a hundred times*

The down time they have. Dressed in civvies. Like jeans, casual wear. You know like how in Firefly where they all just sit around talking enjoying each other's stories and chillaxing. Or like how they did in "Hide and Seek" where they watched TV. Yeah, more TV time.

That and NO CONTACT with the third rock from the sun in the Milky Way Galaxy. The whole 'David vs. Goliath' theme would be really neat, let's revisit that desperateness from Season One, shall we? Like "How are they gonna get outta this one?" Then they'd be really screwed. And alone. It'd give the opportunity to harp on the 'faith of a mustard grain can move mountains' thing. And the team would have to rely on each other EVEN MORE SO. Character interaction, methinks it's called.

Or maybe finding another ZPM. Or a ZPM that can be recharged. Who knows? The Ancients could've ripped off Duracell.

That's what I'd like to see Misters Gero, Wright, Cooper and Mallozzi and whoever else may be in charge of the fantabulous show we all watch. Is that too much to ask, I ask you.

civilbloodshed
February 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Carl Binder must write more episodes. While intoxicated. And we all find out chickens are deadly to Wraith.

nicholas
February 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
brand new fan here.. lol..

from what i've seen i kinda agree that continuity would be more interesting than standalone episodes.. honestly i like season 2 too.. so nothing major.. but as someone said earlier.. a new enemy other than the hissing wraiths would be terrific.. havent seen some episodes of early season 2 but shep/weird and teyla/ronan sound fine.. keep that stuff simple.. most of all i agree that season 1 really had one rooting for the team.. episodes like "the tower" for instance are sorta trekky - which i aint a fan of.

so.. umm.. yeah.. thanks.. ;)

Ziyal
February 11th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Hi,

I'd like to add my two cents to this discussion.

Otherwise, I would love to see an entire episode without the regs, that concentrates on a problem handled entirely by our best secondary characters, like Zelenka, Cadman, Lorne, the scientist who has a crush on McKay, the German woman who seems to work with Zelenka, Hermy. Let's see the "little guys" have an adventure together for a change. :hammond:

Exactly what I thought. And what about a normal day in Atlantis? All the little things that keeps the city running. Plus what the people are doing when not on duty. What about that Ladies Poker Night?(remember the Poker on TNG, that was cool) What are the doing to keep theirselves entertained? Any sports, competitions? (Joe could use his Skateboard for this *g*)

I'd also like to see

Character development, but not for McKay, more for Weir, Teyla, Ronon or Beckett.
Background for the main characters
Information about the other reoccuring chararcters like Dr. Zelenka, Major Lorne etc.
Names for Major Lorne and Chuck the Technican!
Weir needs something to do. Let ther translate or negociate
let them face the consequences of their actions. I can't be that someone messed something up badly(like McKay in Trinity) and the next episode no one seems to remember. Or, as someone else mentioned earler, if someones injured, take him/her out of the action. We're not on Star Trek with all that advanced medical devices.
Either let the Wraith become a more dangerous thread or get uns a new villain
more of the Daedalus, Caldwell bringing tension into the city
more Novak and Hermoid!
Story arc. Doesn't have to be like Babylon 5 but give them a red thread, that doesn't have to end after season 3
Beckett/Cadman - it seems to be canon, then show it!

And I don't have a problem with Sheppard womanizing BUT we need to see that it affects him (I'm referring to Epiphany). I can't be that he puts everyone aside.

Mio
February 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I'd like to see more of the City's cool features, and less Human crap slapped on top of it. For example, (The long goodbye) Why did we have to install a Halon fire supressant system. Surely a city advanced as Atlantis has something much better than that.

More Ancient history....

smushybird
February 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM

rotflmao :D Your posts should come with a warning: no drinking or eating while reading.

I love almost everything everyone has said in this thread, and agree with most of it. I'm tired of Shep's character being diminished into a one-note sex object. I want more character development for all the characters. I want more emotional depth and stories arising out of character interaction instead of character interaction forced to fit stories (and worse, characters acting with unbelievable stupidity). I want...dare I say it...yes, continuity! I want the writers and producers to trust me, the viewer, to understand and follow along as characters bond, grow, and change like normal people instead of remaining static throughout a ten year (at least) run. I want NO ships unless they're friendships, for now. I want Rodney never made the comic relief buffoon again, nor Beckett. The humor should come from their endearing foibles, not from making fools of them.
I want the writers to know and appreciate the fact that we adore Atlantis and we're sticking by it through the rough eps and the less-than-satisfying eps in the hopes that the quality we've seen in eps like Letters from Pegasus will come much more frequently in Season Three.

I'd also like to see Kolya and Sora come back! They were way more interesting and complex as villains than the wraith.

Willow'sCat
February 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I want Rodney never made the comic relief buffoon again, nor Beckett. The humor should come from their endearing foibles, not from making fools of them.Yep that is all I ask for in Season 3.;) They can make Rodney 'evil' if they want, but not the on going comic relief. :rolleyes:

Aussie_86
February 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM
What i would like to see:

Some HUMAN characters: ie, they don't all fall into their little 'slot' every week - ie, Mackay does the tech stuff, shepard does the shooting stuff, beckett does the medical stuff... how about they do some other things: ie, Shepard is doing some shooting stuff, and Mackay shoots a Wraith/Geni/Whatever which is sneaking up behind him... etc, etc, etc.

I would also like to actually LEARN something about the ancients. In season 2/9 of SGA/SG1 respectively, we were told we'd learn a lot more about the ancients. What did we learn? They're not from around here, they go by Alterran, they build Aurora type ships, and they like to build outposts everywhere. Wow, that's a lot!
But, also, saying that, i would not like every episode to be about the Ancients. Kinda contradictory in a way, but, you can do a couple of episodes a seson where you learn a lot!

I would also like to see the Atlantis team get into a situation, where you can not see that they're going to get out of it. And, i would also like the season finale not to end in some Wraith Hiveships comming to Atlantis!.

Standback
February 12th, 2006, 02:18 AM
1. Take one of the many episodes where Shep gets in trouble, then gets out of it. Take Shep out. Put Teyla in instead. Or Ronon. Or Weir. Let them get out of it. These characters need episodes.

2. Give Ronon more to do than occasionally go ballistic at the worst possible moment. An episode where some team members are stranded on some planet and Ronon needs to make sure they all survive would be tres cool.

3. Don't forget about Teyla. Make her mental powers more than a gimmick. I've said it before, I've said it again - I think it'd be a great storyline for her to find some other "gifted" Athosians and train together, trying to become psychic warriors against the Wraith.

4. Balance of focus. Too much focus on the Wraith, who aren't too interesting yet. Yeah, they're hungry, they're powerful, but that's it. Instead, focus more on: the Ancients (throw us a real bone here sooner or later, will you?). The Genii, who are devious and cunning and have actual character. Atlantis itself - it's this HUGE plot element that they're sitting right inside of and not doing ANYTHING with. I want to see them finding cool stuff they only half-understand, with results that are dangerous, exciting, wonderful. That's what Atlantis is.

5. Go back in time and prevent "The Tower" from ever being produced.

.... that's all for now.

Celtic Wizard
February 12th, 2006, 02:21 AM
We are supposed to get more back history story lines about Sheppard and Ronan, but I will Believe it when I see it!

Things I would like to see in SGA S3.

1. An episode where Becket and Mckay have to work together to solve a problem, with no *****ing, maybe with Zelenka, as well.

2. Shephard, finally having to prove his military worth, perhaps, an episode, where he is really up against, even more then THE DEFIANT ONE, I mean really up against it, perhaps, even with the new enemy?

3. Shephard, and Cadwell having to work together.

4. More on the city of atlantis and it true abilities, promised this season, but never really delivered!

5. A couple of crossed over with Daniel Jackson, that will get Mckay going.

6. More on Ronan - Oh did I already mention that?

7. Weir story - perhaps, a test of her leadership, or something that brings in to question her leadership, no Kavengher (sp)

8. More on the wraith, I think they are interesting, and although we have touched on their origins, I would still like to know more.

9. More story arcs, and more meeting with different cultures, perhaps some kind of culture that is slightly advanced, but remained hidden from the wraith, by using technology, but for some reason, by accident are dicovered by the Atlantis crew. Perhaps the jumper crashes - that way they story could guestion where it's actually happened or an illusion of an unconscoius mind!

10. No Ford, either kill him off or cure him, but super Ford is just boring!

11. A new character, which raises the trust question, can you or can't you trust this new character, in other words a liitle dodgy/creepy character, perhaps, more of a mind games character.

Finally - Interesting story lines, where then the show finish you feel good, instead of empty like SG1's story lines this season (9)

Standback
February 12th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Super-Ford is actually way cool by me. He's an excellent example of taking off something that didn't work so well, and bouncing off that for a good story. Finding consequences and possible twists to make the not-so-great original into something that stands out. More, please!

Skyler
February 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
1. Take one of the many episodes where Shep gets in trouble, then gets out of it. Take Shep out. Put Teyla in instead. Or Ronon. Or Weir. Let them get out of it. These characters need episodes.

I would love to see Teyla and Weir get into a situation off world together and have one of them have a serious injury and they are cut off from Atlantis and they must find a way back on their own. I would love to see Sheppard having angst at being cut off from his fellow crew members, AND I would love seeing Sheppard as head of Atlantis for an episode in Weir's absence. I think they could play it off as Sheppard gaining more respect for she does for the city, as well as everyone else. As well giving Teyla and Weir some friendship time off world, AND it would give the writers a great reason for the two women to share stories, ie: Weir being in a similiar situation on earth (give flashbacks) and Teyla being in one herself (flashbacks) and both women putting their heads together to get out of a tough situation.

star47
February 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I'd like to see some character development of Ronan and Teyla, and a development of their friendship as the two 'aliens', and the differences in them due to living in the Pegasus Galaxy, where they understand certain things that the Earth people would never understand, not having lived under oppression and fear.

I would really like to see Beckett and Zelenka become 'full' characters, not the "hardly realized" characters that seem to drift in and out of the storyline. I'd like to see them make a major impact on a story that helps us know who they are.

sunny
February 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Ya know what would be good too? If there was some of Sora. Like what in heck happened to her? She still in the brig? Kolya gonna come and rescue her? She get wraithified in any of the attacks or when they visit? So once again ringing the bell of CONTINUITY.

Steve_the_Wraith
February 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Ya know what would be good too? If there was some of Sora. Like what in heck happened to her? She still in the brig? Kolya gonna come and rescue her? She get wraithified in any of the attacks or when they visit? So once again ringing the bell of CONTINUITY.
Sora was traded to the Genii in return for nukes in Siege part 2, but the scene got cut for time

nicholas
February 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM
watching season 1 finally.. only started seeing season 2 from epiphany.. and in general as far dialogue and storyline and cohesive structure

1 > 2

so.. yeah i hope they fix that in season 3 :-)

Puddle-Jumper
February 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
In Stargate Atlantis season 3 I want............. more space battles with the wraith, the wraith to gain the ability to travel to earth, more atlantis style cities and possible Vala:vala: ..........

What are your thoughts?:mckay:

Pharaoh Atem
February 16th, 2006, 03:03 PM
this has already been done http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21935

joshuaselig
February 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
In Stargate Atlantis season 3 I want............. more space battles with the wraith, the wraith to gain the ability to travel to earth, more atlantis style cities and possible Vala:vala: ..........

What are your thoughts?:mckay:
Ok, I agree on a couple of points, namely more space battles, Wraith having the ability but not going to Earth, I think they have stumbled across remains of an Atlantis style city in "The Tower" and Vala is in the Ori galaxy last time I checked :D

Puddle-Jumper
February 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Ok, I agree on a couple of points, namely more space battles, Wraith having the ability but not going to Earth, I think they have stumbled across remains of an Atlantis style city in "The Tower" and Vala is in the Ori galaxy last time I checked :D

Well duh............ but more ancient cities possible in good condition like atlantis and about Vala I was just jidding be cause the way I look at it you can never have enough Vala

And has this really been done? I thought that I had finally come up with a good idea for a thread! Well back to the drawing boards I guess...........

ZPM_Plant
February 18th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Ancients, Ancients, and more Ancients. Fill us in. The best episode moments were those in "Before I Sleep" and "Aurora," when we got to meet some ancients.

Tell us more about the mundane part of their lives. What did it feel like to be an Alteran in the Pegasus/MW?

How gradually did their population ascend? Were the ones left behind afraid, because of their dwindling numbers and long legacy?

What does it mean to be a dominant species for millions of years?

alfirin_kirinki
February 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM
And has this really been done? I thought that I had finally come up with a good idea for a thread! Well back to the drawing boards I guess...........

Vala ruined SG-1 for me; I'd have to stop watching if she came to Atlantis because her character just makes me want to break things.

ZPM_Plant
February 20th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Vala ruined SG-1 for me; I'd have to stop watching if she came to Atlantis because her character just makes me want to break things.

Hmm. Why does she make you break things? I don't find her iritating at all. I think she spices things up a bit, and if the preview of next season is right, it sounds like her offspring is just the same.

Deborah
February 21st, 2006, 03:13 AM
Unabashed Shipper here so more Ronan/Teyla please.

As others have said nothing cannon just yet but I don't think too much time should pass before there is a canon romance on Atlantis. I'd hate to have to wait 8 years for an anti-climactic cuddle.

alfirin_kirinki
February 21st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Hmm. Why does she make you break things? I don't find her iritating at all. I think she spices things up a bit, and if the preview of next season is right, it sounds like her offspring is just the same.

Well, I guess she just rubs different people different ways, but the outfits, the innuendo, the stealing, the fact she's intended for the enjoyment of teenage boys, the fixation with Daniel*, I dunno... the whole... existing thing? The joke wore very thing very fast, for me - I just thing she's superfluous to requirements. I stopped watching SG-1 because I found her so hard to watch - I'd be extremely, extremely annoyed if she ruined SGA for me, as well.

*Nothing - NOTHING - to do with a rival ship, I swear. Stackhouse/Markham or bust, for me. But really: ew.

Captain-Peregrine
February 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
I want to see a relationship between Weir and McKay! And I want to see more of the mythology and archeology in Stargate: SG-1. And I would sorta like to know what happened to all those aliens we brought back to Earth--including Cassandra and young O'Niell and Nyan. Oh--and what the heck happened with Sara? So, yeah... definate follow-up on past characters would be nice.

Scrump
February 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM
i agree. realistically, a lot of people will either have the dvds (aka season 1-8 and season 1SGA) or eps on their dvd recorders (because who uses VHS anymore-rhetorical question). *ahem, moving on* so, they shouldnt need to put the full five minute+ recap, most people would remember (vaguely) what happneed and if not, then the episode shouldnt be so centred on what happened three episodes ago. ><

Along with this... some mention of the happenings of Earth, at least a MENTION, for instance the plague (have someone's relative at the base have died, not even a primary or secondary char just someone). Likewise I'd like to see some mention of Atlantis more on SG1 (I think in each there was 1 mention of the other's history/happenings - the Goa'uld on SGA and in Ripple Effect on SG1. I don't want it to be a long diatribe into this happened, oh did you hear about this. Not even every episode, just every few to acknowledge that heck, oh crap Earth is in peril due to the Ori. I mean for instance on SG1 it could be as simple as a scientist saying oh i was just looking over these wraith schematics from the Atlantis expedition. Sorry... it just drives me insane that these do not even make mention of the other show.

ToasterOnFire
February 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM
I'd like to see the characters spend more downtime with each other and ideally have matchups that aren't already featured so Shep/McKay and Ronon/Teyla are right out. Rodney and Ronon in the cafeteria (Rodney could introduce Ronon to the wonder that is blue jello and then teach him chess! :D). Teyla teaching Elizabeth some self-defense moves in the gym. Shep outside Atlantis fishing with Carson. It doesn't have to be a major scene, just something stuck before or after the Big Episode Problem. Something subtle to show how all of these people have grown into a team and family.

Rosehawk
February 21st, 2006, 07:27 PM
Wow, I really enjoy reading everyone else's thoughts on this. I have only seen the 1st season of STA, not having cable I get to rely on others to fill in on recent details.

I would really like to see more character development, what makes the characters who there are, only I don't want to know all at once. I like the story archs or subtle comments made in SG! or in STA that might reference another character and then have story archs bring them out.

-Shepherd, since they have laid the groundwork and reputation for him to be a lady's man, why not take it to another level and create background has to what it is he is really hiding from. Maybe he has a brother who died in an accident or 911 or something dramatic and Shepard has personal feelings for his sister-in-law that he doesn't feel are right. This could be confounded by any conflict he may have with a parent, specifically with his Dad.

-Wier, I would really like to see more about her relationship with
Simon, more of the personal conflict about her choices and the consequences of her choices. I would also really like to see a strong storyline with her and Teyla. I think Teyla is one of the most underwritten characters on the show.

-It would be great to see a story line with the Atherans and possibly Shepard and McKay, conflict with the spiritual beliefs of Telya's people with the scientific and military approach of that Atlantis team. McKay has already shown his impatience with beliefs not based in scientific fact. Maybe the Atherans find something on the land that they won't let the Team explore, dismantle, etc.

-I think Ford should come back as a main character or at least as a semi main character, a changed person, more harden, not like the Ford we first knew. He needs to learn to regain the trust and respect of Shepard and Weir.

There should definitely be less contact with Earth, I think bringing Earth into the picture in season 2, was a season or two too soon. The team really needed to spend more time bonding and growing together before being torn back into the reality of politics, agendas, etc.

-I personally would like to see more of Zelenka and maybe give a little more background into his charcter. Beckett too. They are both great characters that really need some development work.

-they really need to have some technology that McKay, Zelenka or anyone on Earth can not solve, back engineer, etc. Being as advanced as the Ancients are, there has to be some things that can't be solved, or at least not solved for a few seasons, something to irrate McKay, have a few episodes where they try something, it doesn't work, maybe with some really bad results.

Leigh
February 23rd, 2006, 05:08 AM
SPARKY!!! :sheppard: :weir:

Umm and umm more sparky :)

Seriously though I hope the Genii aren't gone, I love seeing a bad guy that's not actually an alien, it makes them seem even worse then the wraith or the guoald (sorry no idea how to spell it).

And personally I hope for very little cross over between sg and sga, I like that they are in seperate galaxies and are kind of isolated from what they know, I think if they could just have contact with Earth when ever it would take away from the show.

I would also like to see the city explored a little more, the set is absolutly gorgeous and I would love to see more of it.

Oh and more Sparky.

prion
February 23rd, 2006, 08:28 AM
More stories from Carl Binder. I was bored the other day with the Olympics and flicked channels to discover Mysterious Ways playing on what was once the Pax channel, and realized in reading credits, he did that show! He's good at developing characterizations, drama, angst and the like, so let's have HIM write and have more input into the series. The M&M folk can concentrate on SG1 instead, as that definitely needs some fixing! ;)

ZPM_Plant
February 23rd, 2006, 09:05 AM
More stories from Carl Binder. I was bored the other day with the Olympics and flicked channels to discover Mysterious Ways playing on what was once the Pax channel, and realized in reading credits, he did that show! He's good at developing characterizations, drama, angst and the like, so let's have HIM write and have more input into the series. The M&M folk can concentrate on SG1 instead, as that definitely needs some fixing! ;)

Ditto. I've never seen a Binder episode I didn't like. Give him more episodes!

siXbrownSnakes2
February 23rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
Ditto. I've never seen a Binder episode I didn't like. Give him more episodes!

Me 3. Though, I didn't like The Hive. But that wasn't really his fault, as the groundwork for it was laid in Lost Boys and he was simply writing a story that wasn't his.

I also really love his style of writing for Weir. He makes that character feel extremely useful and fleshed out. He wrote both 'Ancient' episodes, Before I Sleep/Aurora, which were both fantastic.

And the fact that he's writing the early two-parter in S3 gives me hope that S3 will be > S1.

ZPM_Plant
February 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Binder's episodes

Before I Sleep (18 February 2005) - Writer (writer)
Letters from Pegasus (4 March 2005) - Writer (writer)
Condemned (12 August 2005) - Writer (teleplay)
Aurora (23 September 2005) - Writer (story) (teleplay)
The Hive (21 November 2005) - Writer (writer)
Critical Mass (5 December 2005) - Writer (writer)
Michael (16 January 2006) - Writer (writer)
Inferno (23 January 2006) - Writer (writer)

shol'va
February 26th, 2006, 12:17 AM

They could somehow get her out and use her as wraithbait.

lookingfortarzan
February 27th, 2006, 03:23 AM
my two pence

I know some people think different, but I'd love more Major Lorne in SGA. Is he the atlantian 2ic of Sheppard for the base?

More Zelenka, imho you can never have too much David Nykl.

In agreement about getting a few more allies, and definately with the language development.
I also really loved the insight we get into Athosian way of life. We've had verious rituals shown that portray to death and prayer....maybe a celebration of harvest...or at least a passing mention.

Not too shoved about "canonising" any relationships, at the current time. See how we progress.

And Shep getting come uppance for the girlies...oh PLEASE....coz it'd be funny

travis
February 27th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Ancients, Ancients, and more Ancients. Fill us in. The best episode moments were those in "Before I Sleep" and "Aurora," when we got to meet some ancients.

Tell us more about the mundane part of their lives. What did it feel like to be an Alteran in the Pegasus/MW?

How gradually did their population ascend? Were the ones left behind afraid, because of their dwindling numbers and long legacy?

What does it mean to be a dominant species for millions of years?

I totally agree with you. This is the reason why I so love SGA. It'll be so cool if we get to see the ascended Ancients in there dimension from there POV. Meet other advance life forms such as them self that they've met in other dimension. Show us what their legacy (Atlantis) can really do and all it's wonder, and of course more space battles with more powerfull ships.

norbe
February 27th, 2006, 04:59 AM
One of the things that annoys me about s2 of SGA (and s9 of SG1), is that the characters seem to encounter a tricky situation, and for most of the episode it looks like there is no simple solution, then in the final 2 minutes they somehow manage to save the day. A good example of this is critcal mass when right at the end Cadman somehow manages to figure out Caldwell is the Goa'uld, then they suddenly get the code and save the city.

However in Inferno It became apparent that McKay would have to fix the ship about 15/20 mins in, so they had the rest of the episode to show us how he would manage it

The writers really need to take their time to ensure that solutions to obstacles arn't rushed, and I really don't want to see any more "oh dear they are in trouble, and in the last second they get beamed up to the Deadalus/Oddysee". Fine once, not again. SG1 has done it more, but has still happened in SGA once or twice.

Other things I'd like to see
-more space battles, they are always nice.
-more exploration of the city, maybe some nice new tech can be found.
-backstories for the main characters.
-maybe an ep based on the secondary characters (specifically Lorne), either that or we should see them given specific roles in episodes instead of just being mentioned occasionally.
-CONSIQUENCES(sp) and CONTINUITY from one episode to the next.

I can appreciate that when each ep is only 42 mins long, it can be hard for the writers to show everything that they might want, but maybe they need to make the time frame for the episodes shorter, or have more double eps.

nicholas
February 27th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Other things I'd like to see
-more space battles, they are always nice.
-more exploration of the city, maybe some nice new tech can be found.

-CONSIQUENCES(sp) and CONTINUITY from one episode to the next.

agreed

Mindgame
February 27th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Less McKay hysterics.
A Teyla/Beckett episode that teases a possible hook up
Ford being less adversial to his ex teammates.
A Ronin/Shep episode where the two of them strengthen the friendship and end some of the bickering.
A episode where they actually meet another group that is helpful instead of just being out for themselves. No wonder the Waith took over the universe.

Vyse
February 27th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I'm sick of whenever the team splits up it's always Sheppard/McKay, and Teyla/Ronin. Can't they change it once in a while? Those two groups are great together, but after a while it's redundant.

mckaychick
February 27th, 2006, 08:55 AM
We need more episodes that have to do with the ancients. Thats what we need in s.3

ZPM_Plant
February 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM
We need more episodes that have to do with the ancients. Thats what we need in s.3

Once again Mckaychick you get to the heart of the matter. Before I Sleep is my favorite episode.

My favorite lines were all either spoken by ancients or directed at them:

Weir: We call you the ancients, the gate builders.

Weir: We've crossed galaxies in the hopes of finding a great people.

Weir: Thank you for your generous offer, but we are explorers, just like you.

Janus: Which should come as no surprise, since they are the second evolution of our kind.

You want ratings, give us more ancients. More ancients! More ancients!

sunny
March 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM
This could just be the shipper in me or maybe the sadist, but I want Weir to be WHUMPED. Severely. Like kidnapped by Kolya and W-H-U-M-P-E-D. This is of course not to take away from her character nor the importance of being the second billed in the opening credits, if ya know what I mean.

But there's a lot of potential for so much character development by her being absent in her position of power. Who would run the city? We know Teyla did for a while. What would each individuals reaction be? Can Shep handle leadership that efficiently? Would he delegate more than she does? We know just through his character alone that everyone would fight and scramble to get her back. So how would he feel about one of the people he's come to learn to trust being taken? How would Rodney react? He'd prolly panic and ramble like any good friend would, but how can he grow from that? Would Teyla feel like she'd lost a friend or just a boss? Ronon? Does he even have a connection to Weir? She makes sure she knows everyone right? What's gonna be his reaction? Most likely thinking tactically like Shep to do recon and recovery. Would Kavanaugh or even Col. Skinner make a play for a higher position? See even sub-characters could be fleshed out.

Anyway, just a thought.

neth_dugan
March 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM

Now, I'm only 19 here, so I may not be all that experienced in the ways of the world, but the general impression I got is: men like sex.

If a woman John finds attractive literally strips infront of him, shoves sex down his throat, there's a good chance that he wouldn't turn her down. Because, you know, sex, and sex is good, very very good in his mind. He's a guy.

I think it's possible for a man to like sex, want sex, and to be honest accept offers of having sex when offered whilst still respecting women. It's not like he goes out off world deliberately going 'Oh, who can I sleep with today?'.

So, really, I do think he respects women plenty.

As for what I want on this season? I want Radek in the promo pictures. It's shallow of me, but I want him in promo p ictures damn it! He's as big a figure reacuring now as Carson was when they started out, almost, and Carson got promo pics in S1. And, also, if Cladwell gets into promo pics, Radek should be there.

Onto the less shallow stuff... No. Reset. Button. BSG can do it just fine, Farscape could do it, Babylon 5 not only did it well, but did it brilliantly and was still very popular. Though, B5 went way beyond no reset button, and I'm not suggesting that for SGA.

I want stories that focus on them as a team, I want stories that focus on individual characters aswell so we can explore them and their backgrounds. Grace Under Pressure was brilliant, we want more of that (but, no more Carter/Rodney please, no, no, no).

I want people to stop going 'well, there's Teyla and Sheppard there, but we're not really going any place with that'. Seriously, it's annoying. It's annoying to the Sheyla shippers, I'd expect, for teasing them. Dragging it on for years is only going to annoy them like it annoyed us Sam/Jack shippers in SG-1.

It'll also have the added downer of annoying every other fan in the show, much like the Sam/Jack will they/wont they in SG-1 did. I'm a McShepper myself, and really, I don't want Sheyla romance. Sheyla friendship, yup! Romance? Not so much. Also, I don't want explicet McShep romance either. John's military for cryin' out loud, and also I want it to remain so that every shipper/slasher has some validity there some place.

Well, except the John/Steve slashers.... I'm not to sure where that comes from *g*

Basically, it makes for a more well rounded show that way, and keeps all the fans happy. Give us friendship moments, and we'll be happy and smile.

I want TPTB to make sure the Wraith don't become the Borg of the SGA world. They're supposed to be big, bad and dangerous, who've ruled the galaxy with fear for millenia and drove the ancients out and blew up their ships. I don't wan them to become the guys you can just shoot down and defeat real easy like after you've done it twice the hard way. Please.

Keep them as the Borg were in 'Best of Both Worlds', not in Voyager.

And, make Weir like she's suposed to be. A vital part of Atlantis, part of it's fabric, it's leader, a woman of strength and complexity, intelligent and a diplamant. She was originally oposed to the military, and military action if you remember from her apearence on SG-1. Show her having to reconsile her old ideals, or maybe they're still her ideals, with what she has to do.

Show Teyla actually being the leader of the Athosian people, please. She's supposed to have that role, but we never see it anymore.

Also, make Ronon smile, and laugh just once this season. Jason smiles and laughs beautifully, and I heard him mention several times at Peg One that it'd be nice for Ronon to do that at some point. Just once, please? Pretty Please? With a cherry on top?

neth_dugan
March 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM

Now, I'm only 19 here, so I may not be all that experienced in the ways of the world, but the general impression I got is: men like sex.

If a woman John finds attractive literally strips infront of him, shoves sex down his throat, there's a good chance that he wouldn't turn her down. Because, you know, sex, and sex is good, very very good in his mind. He's a guy.

I think it's possible for a man to like sex, want sex, and to be honest accept offers of having sex when offered whilst still respecting women. It's not like he goes out off world deliberately going 'Oh, who can I sleep with today?'.

So, really, I do think he respects women plenty.

As for what I want on this season? I want Radek in the promo pictures. It's shallow of me, but I want him in promo p ictures damn it! He's as big a figure reacuring now as Carson was when they started out, almost, and Carson got promo pics in S1. And, also, if Cladwell gets into promo pics, Radek should be there.

Onto the less shallow stuff... No. Reset. Button. BSG can do it just fine, Farscape could do it, Babylon 5 not only did it well, but did it brilliantly and was still very popular. Though, B5 went way beyond no reset button, and I'm not suggesting that for SGA.

I want stories that focus on them as a team, I want stories that focus on individual characters aswell so we can explore them and their backgrounds. Grace Under Pressure was brilliant, we want more of that (but, no more Carter/Rodney please, no, no, no).

I want people to stop going 'well, there's Teyla and Sheppard there, but we're not really going any place with that'. Seriously, it's annoying. It's annoying to the Sheyla shippers, I'd expect, for teasing them. Dragging it on for years is only going to annoy them like it annoyed us Sam/Jack shippers in SG-1.

It'll also have the added downer of annoying every other fan in the show, much like the Sam/Jack will they/wont they in SG-1 did. I'm a McShepper myself, and really, I don't want Sheyla romance. Sheyla friendship, yup! Romance? Not so much. Also, I don't want explicet McShep romance either. John's military for cryin' out loud, and also I want it to remain so that every shipper/slasher has some validity there some place.

Well, except the John/Steve slashers.... I'm not to sure where that comes from *g*

Basically, it makes for a more well rounded show that way, and keeps all the fans happy. Give us friendship moments, and we'll be happy and smile.

I want TPTB to make sure the Wraith don't become the Borg of the SGA world. They're supposed to be big, bad and dangerous, who've ruled the galaxy with fear for millenia and drove the ancients out and blew up their ships. I don't wan them to become the guys you can just shoot down and defeat real easy like after you've done it twice the hard way. Please.

Keep them as the Borg were in 'Best of Both Worlds', not in Voyager.

And, make Weir like she's suposed to be. A vital part of Atlantis, part of it's fabric, it's leader, a woman of strength and complexity, intelligent and a diplamant. She was originally oposed to the military, and military action if you remember from her apearence on SG-1. Show her having to reconsile her old ideals, or maybe they're still her ideals, with what she has to do.

Show Teyla actually being the leader of the Athosian people, please. She's supposed to have that role, but we never see it anymore.

Also, make Ronon smile, and laugh just once this season. Jason smiles and laughs beautifully, and I heard him mention several times at Peg One that it'd be nice for Ronon to do that at some point. Just once, please? Pretty Please? With a cherry on top?

AngelmaOwl
March 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
My suggestions/opinions would be rudimentarily as follows:

- Show some friendship or at least more bonding and respect between Weir and Teyla. As ugly as the blame game was in 'Suspicion' it was surprisingly good at showing how they could potentially bond. It showed Teyla's wisdom and Weir's coming to terms with her leadership but still being something she isn't much accustomed to (precisely, the leader of a city). Some more actual interaction like in 'Suspicion' would be appreciated.

-Way less Kirkage. There are many fans out there who think he's hot, we don't need every single woman on these things to fall head over heels for him.

There are probably a few other things but those are the main. They've strayed a bit from the character path for Weir mostly (since when would she feel little to no remorse for things she's done in recent eps?) and they stamped Sheppard's forehead with the words 'Babe magnet' or 'Available' or something.

Mostly though, I'm going to trust in the creators because they've taken SG-1 this far and there were some rough spots there too. They've been on a very demanding schedule for almost a decade now. I appreciate all everyone in the production of SG-1 and SGA have given and will willingly accept just about anything else they throw at us.

P.S. If you ask me, however impractical and/or not possible it is, it would be cool to have Sedge on Atlantis.

Giantevilhead
March 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I'd like to have one episode where the team's mission goes off as planned without any unanticipated problems. There could be a funny twilight zone moment at the end.