PDA

View Full Version : Writing for "Stargate: Horizon"?

matt
January 2nd, 2006, 02:02 AM
G'dat All! How's it going?

I'm a little curious. I love reading these episodes, but I want to know if we, the fans, can submit ideas and write episodes.

Is this possible?

Cheers Matt.

Alex Rubit
January 2nd, 2006, 03:35 AM
G'dat All! How's it going?

I'm a little curious. I love reading these episodes, but I want to know if we, the fans, can submit ideas and write episodes.

Is this possible?

Cheers Matt.

Hey Matt,

Right now we're actually still looking for additional writers to join the staff. To do that, the person would be required to submit a writing sample that we'll then be taking a look at. Writing samples should be script format (prose is accepted, but script is preferred), and they can basically be anything.

You can also submit ideas from outside the staff (basically like a freelance writer), but not complete written episodes. The best way would be to pitch your ideas (by PM or email) by writing up a brief synopsis of what the episode would be about. However, right now we've got a lot of episodes already planned out, and the direction the rest of the season will be taking is pretty clear as well. So there'd be no guarantees of course.

I will say chances of writing an episode are better when being on staff, but basically anyone can submitt episode ideas, and one episode of Season Two was actually written by a freelance writer. So to answer the question: it is possible.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yup, Valiant. And it was a fine episode, too. I hope Aaron writes more...

SierraGulf1
January 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Well, Destiny's coming out soon, and I know "Treasure Trove" was penned by him. So if you liked "Valiant," that should also be enjoyable.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to Destiny, and I can't wait 'till... Febuary, I think, when "Treasure Trove" airs?

Elite Anubis Guard
January 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I've also began outline The Farm now....as for episode air dates: http://sg-universe.net/schedules/

lionel_pendergast_rocks
January 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Yes, the Farm looks promising. I should know :).

Anyway, I know there were a couple posts on this at the old horizon forum, but I dont really think there were too many people pitching ideas.

And I can really see why Alex had Aaron here write an episode :)

Elite Anubis Guard
January 4th, 2006, 11:42 AM
No, please be quiet. Don't go over rating. Hasn't NoDot pitched a few ideas this season, Alex?

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Face it, you're good at writing. Damn good.

NoDot
January 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hasn't NoDot pitched a few ideas this season, Alex?I've pitched three so far. One of them, though, was because of your badgering about SGH's first FanFic.

Elite Anubis Guard
January 5th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Oh, the one about the probe? I just thought it would have been a little bigger since ya ended on a cliff hanger.

Reyclou
January 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Gah. I've just sent for a new laptop that should arrive any day now...

Hopes new laptop will come with a host of new plot bunnies.

Really mean, nasty looking plot bunnies.

With zats. :-)

NoDot
January 5th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Oh, the one about the probe? I just thought it would have been a little bigger since ya ended on a cliff hanger.As the great deities already know, plot bunnies reproduce quickly near me. I swear, I must be a catalyst for their reproduction!

Aris Boch
January 11th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I am not quite up to speed on Horizon yet but once that's done and I get around to publishing my fanfic I have a bunch of ideas (some almost fully planned out) I'd like you guys to consider. Once my fanfic is published could that act as my writing sample?

SierraGulf1
January 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
If you wrote it, it sure can. :jack:

ralfsmith
January 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Can you provide me more information on this matter?

[email protected]

[email protected]

Aris Boch
January 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Can you provide me more information on this matter?

[email protected]

[email protected]

Yes, please do. For one thing I'd like to know how you should pitch you're ideas (PM, e-mail, wahtever).

Alex Rubit
January 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Well, the first thing to do would be to apply to join the staff. To be perfectly honest, right now I'm less interested in having someone from outside the staff pitching ideas, but much rather in getting a bit of a larger staff of dedicated writers together.

So, if you're interested send an email to [email protected] Include a short paragraph about yourself (previous writing experience, age, etc.), and make sure to attach a short writing sample. It doesn't have to be script format, although it is prefered.

In your case, Aris Boch, your Horizon fan fiction would work really well as a writing sample, obviously. So, again, if you're interested in joining the staff, send that email away as soon as possible. ;)

Following that, we'll review your writing sample, and if we think your writing is good, you'll be invited to an online meeting (times are very flexible and based on when everyone's available). Then you'll get a chance to pitch some episode ideas, and if everything falls into place, you'll become an official member of the writing staff.

Elite Anubis Guard
January 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM
So, if you're interested send an email to [email protected] Include a short paragraph about yourself (previous writing experience, age, etc.)

Hi, my name is Aaron Percival, I like long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners and bubble baths.:weir:

Alex Rubit
January 17th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Hi, my name is Aaron Percival, I like long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners and bubble baths.:weir:

:lol:

That's a great example. You may add as many details as you like.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
January 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Well, knowing aaron, I can say that that is 100% true.