X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regeneration, what then -

Hay

Only just gotten into Dr Who - my x got me into it and I was reading some the synopsis from past series and there's an episode about the Master who's died (it might of been the Movie, not sure)

But the synopsis said that Time Lords only regenerate 12 times, was that just the master or does it count for them all? And if so - do you think the Dr will find a way round it?

Blitz
    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Yes it is for all, except Rasullon(Sp), I I am certain he does
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Make way for the geek

A timelord can regenerate 12 time, our Doctor is on his tenth, It's been a while since I've seen the film so I can't quote on what happened to that Master

Rassilon had somehow found the secret of Immortality, the Ring of Rassilon held that secret and anyone who put the ring on became immortal. I won't go into the plot but treat yourself to The Five Doctors on DVD to find out. As to what will happen when our Doctor reaches regeneration number 12, that's up to Russel T Davis

Edit - I think the 12 regenerations is for all Timelords I know Romana regenerated once

Comment

Of course he will find a way around it! Whats a little canon compared to the will of Doctor Who's PTB to keep the new series going? There is always a way around rules in Sci Fi. Just as a thought, what controls the amount of regenerations a Time Lord can get?
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

eh, I didn't know a timelord could regenerate 12 times. I guess that's the punishment of never watching the original Doctor Who.
          sigpic

Comment

Yep though orginally I herad it was like six

Comment

The Regeneration thing came into being when William Hartnell wanted to leave the show, so TPTB came up with the regeneration thing to explain the arrival of Patrick Troughton. I'm not sure where the 12 times thing came into it (Bit before my Time, I remember Tom Baker onwards. IMHO when Doctor number 12 comes to regeneration time we'll discover that he was granted more regenerations by the High Council of Gallifrey for the work he did in the Time War, either that or he got hold of the Ring of Rassilon

Comment

I think the that since the Doctor is the Other, that he might not need the ring

Comment

IT may be that the doctor was given power by the high council simply for becoming the last of the timelords that can actualy travel in time and space (perhaps the order was given by Rassilon this is just a theory) giving him infinite regenerations making him the keeper of the time vortex making it his job to overrule but knowing the doctor he may have ran away from it (the amount of times he ran away from his position of president is a prime example) Im hoping more will be revealed about the timelords in the next season.
                  Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                    Make way for the geek

A timelord can regenerate 12 time, our Doctor is on his tenth, It's been a while since I've seen the film so I can't quote on what happened to that Master
                    12 Regenerations means a Time Lord has 13 lives. The Doctor has regenerated 9 times, making David Tennant's the 10th Doctor.

The Master as we saw him during the 1971-1973 seasons of the original series was on his 13th life.

The Master's life cycle.
                    Spoiler:
                    He encountered the 8th Doctor in the novel Legacy of the Daleks which led to his disfigured seen in The Deadly Assassin and The Keeper of Traken.

In The Keeper of Traken, he took over Tremas' body, which he used until the Daleks executed him prior to the 1996 movie. Prior to that, the Master had been altered on the cheetah virus in Survival. The Doctor encounters the Master in a short story, a novel, and an audio adventure (in which he is deteriorating).

Edit - I think the 12 regenerations is for all Timelords I know Romana regenerated once
                    1.) Gallifreyans must earn status as a Time Lord were they are granted a regeneration cycle (13 lives).
                    2.) Unless they are grant another regeneration cycle, then 12 regenerations is the limit.
                    3.) Some Doctor Who stories suggest that the individual that came to be known as the Doctor previous went through another regeneration cycle (though possibly not all 13 lives of that cycle). There even some suggestions about a life prior to both those regeneration cycles.

This is the story as I understand it.

The Doctor's Origins
                    Spoiler:

The Doctor had a normal life on ancient Gallifrey born from two parents (one human, one gallifreyan),

sacrificed himself into loom and was reborn as a different full-grown adult,

he was granted a regeneration cycle and regenerated at least once,

sacrificed himself to the loom again, was born as a different full-grown in modern-day Gallifrey, and granted another regeneration cycle. So far, he has used up 9 of those 12 regenerations.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                      Of course he will find a way around it! Whats a little canon compared to the will of Doctor Who's PTB to keep the new series going? There is always a way around rules in Sci Fi. Just as a thought, what controls the amount of regenerations a Time Lord can get?
                      Regeneration is accomplished by use of nano-technology, which is probably limited by the wear-and-tear of its use...in other words, it breaks down after 12 uses.

Comment

The Regeneration thing came into being when William Hartnell wanted to leave the show, so TPTB came up with the regeneration thing to explain the arrival of Patrick Troughton. I'm not sure where the 12 times thing came into it (Bit before my Time, I remember Tom Baker onwards. IMHO when Doctor number 12 comes to regeneration time we'll discover that he was granted more regenerations by the High Council of Gallifrey for the work he did in the Time War, either that or he got hold of the Ring of Rassilon
                        The term regeneration was first used in The Planet of Spiders, but the 12 regenerations/13 bodies limit was established in The Deadly Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                          12 Regenerations means a Time Lord has 13 lives. The Doctor has regenerated 9 times, making David Tennant's the 10th Doctor.

The Master as we saw him during the 1971-1973 seasons of the original series was on his 13th life.
                          I thought The Master 'stole' a life or something, so The Master is dead? Definitely gone "Time Wars aside?

That wasn't very forward thinking of them, I would love the new series to have The Master in it, no idea who would play him, all this last of the TimeLord thing is too limiting IMO.
                          1.) Gallifreyans must earn status as a Time Lord were they are granted a regeneration cycle (13 lives).
                          2.) Unless they are grant another regeneration cycle, then 12 regenerations is the limit.
                          3.) Some Doctor Who stories suggest that the individual that came to be known as the Doctor previous went through another regeneration cycle (though possibly not all 13 lives of that cycle). There even some suggestions about a life prior to both those regeneration cycles.
                          Maybe if he is the only one left he has the power or means to grant himself another 12 regenerations. Just a thought. Well judging from the above anything seems possible depending on the point of origin.

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                          eh, I didn't know a timelord could regenerate 12 times.
                          Don't worry your not the only one out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                            I thought The Master 'stole' a life or something, so The Master is dead? Definitely gone "Time Wars aside?
                            Sorry...try also highlighting beneath the image of the book for the rest of those spoilers.

The 1996 Movie
                            Spoiler:
                            Plus, what didn't mention was his final appearance in the 1996 movie, where he takes over the body of a human and is assumed dead at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                              Sorry...try also highlighting beneath the image of the book for the rest of those spoilers.

The 1996 Movie
                              Heehee, I think my question mark confused you, I know he is dead. I just want him not to be... *dead*. Although I don't remember that from the movie, maybe because I only saw it once and well...that is a whole other dicussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X