Serenity - IGN's Best Sci-fi Movie of 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serenity - IGN's Best Sci-fi Movie of 2005

Why It Rocked: Serenity, Joss Whedon's big-screen version of his defunct series Firefly wasn't exactly a run-away hit at the box office. But we have a feeling that this underappreciated gem will become a sci-fi classic in time. The film is light on the kind of special effects that are typically plentiful in films of this genre, but it's big on heart, integrity and character development - something sorely lacking in too many mainstream films of any kind. To say that Serenity is an exciting, emotional rollercoaster of a film - one that has plenty of action - is not an overstatement in the least.

Runners Up:
    Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
    War of the Worlds

http://bestof.ign.com/2005/movies/8.html
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Thats not all, it also got Best Story of 2005

http://bestof.ign.com/2005/movies/13.html

Joss Whedon's Serenity might have been based on a TV series, but you wouldn't have to know a single thing about it going into this film... that's the beauty of it. You're brought in during the middle of the action, but within minutes you're completely immersed in the story as if you've know the characters forever. And that's the film's real strength... the well-written characters. Much like the old Star Trek, which is an obvious influence, Whedon overcomes the lack of eye-popping special effects by creating genuine tension and emotion via the time honored tradition of actually scripting interesting, intriguing, and real characters, characters you not only identify with, but end up caring a great deal for.
    sigpic

Comment

And best trailer:

The trailer for Joss Whedon's Serenity is as fresh and original as the film it teases. It's well-paced, tightly edited and it fleshes out the movie's story enough to capture the viewer's interest, while managing to save the good stuff for the movie itself. For a film that doesn't rely on "money shots," the preview is pretty visually impressive. Serenity might not have performed as well as it should have at the box office, but that's no fault of the trailer.

http://bestof.ign.com/2005/movies/18.html

Serenity is taking it by storm. Didn't win best of movie but was one of the Runners-up: http://bestof.ign.com/2005/movies/20.html
      sigpic

Comment

Cool. I hope Serenity does well at this years Acadamy Awards.

Comment

*happy dance* thanks for sharing!

though it didnt win best picture, you cant really complain when awesome movies like batman begins wins. at least it made runner up.

i sure hope fox gets all these statistics

Lizbeth
          das haus ist gelb. ich liebe gelb!!

MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by Qtyled
            I doubt that will happen If they're lucky they might get a VFX or sound editing, but I'll be very surprised if they even get nominated for any of the major categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Qtyled
              I seriously doubt it will happen, but hey, Lord of the Rings won best picture, so the Academy doesn't totally ignore genre films.

I would like to see Summer Glau nominated for supporting actress, and Joss get a original screenplay nom too.

If you were making nominations, who would you nominate?

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
              ---------------------------------------------
              Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

I think Serenity will be Nominated for Best SFX, but won't win. I think it has a chance in Best Screenplay, though. I wouldn't put it past it to do well. I mean all the critics think it's great and it idn't do well at the box office - thats wat oscar winning films usually do, right?
                Last edited by Qtyled; 30 December 2005, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker
                  I seriously doubt it will happen, but hey, Lord of the Rings won best picture, so the Academy doesn't totally ignore genre films.

I would like to see Summer Glau nominated for supporting actress, and Joss get a original screenplay nom too.

If you were making nominations, who would you nominate?
                  the difference with LOTR though, is that it was a major blockbuster film. All star cast, major production values and a runaway success at the box office. There was little doubt that it would clean up at the Oscars

Comment

Exactly Agent.
                    Serenity most likely won't even get a nomination for anything.

People will be there, or sitting at home going "What the heck is this movie."

Serenity wasn't one of those movies that only a handful of people actually saw, but was still a critically acclaimed movie of the year from the Cannes Fil Festival or anything (unfortunately).
                    I'd be surprised if any actors or actresses even got mention.

It'd be awesome if they did, and won. But realistically they won't come close.

Comment

But who cares, these sorts of minor awards show those stupid War fanboys that hated this film being called "what ROTS should have been like" how good this film is.

Good job Whedon.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        the difference with LOTR though, is that it was a major blockbuster film. All star cast, major production values and a runaway success at the box office. There was little doubt that it would clean up at the Oscars
                        Hence, my phrasing, "If you were making the nominations....."

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
                        Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Working...
                        X