PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on a new Doctor Who Movie

creed462
December 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I heard a back when the new seris was coming out there was talk of a movie, has anything change? Does anyone have any info?

Metarock Sam
December 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Well in 1998 when they made the tv movie starring the 8th doctor that was originally going to be the start of a new series afterwards. However, since the movie was shown at a ridiculous time in the states and the ratings were poor (shame cos they were very high in the UK) the partnership between both fox and bbc in making the doctor who series was frozen. There has not been any talk of a movie since. None that im aware of anyway. I bleeive that Doctor Who is more focused on series 2 aswell as the production of a new christmas special which is scheduled to be aired 25th december 2006. And don't forget Torchwood aswell.

Missster.Freeman
December 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry to be a pedant Sam, but it was 1996 the movie was aired. Yup, the ratings were about 9 million, which is about the highest for any TV show here. The ratings were so high because it was the first time we had a new Doctor Who since 1989 :)

Metarock Sam
December 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Aw gee sorry about that Luckily I was only 2 years out but I think 1998 is easier to remeber for some reason or another for me anyway.

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
December 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Well in 1998 when they made the tv movie starring the 8th doctor that was originally going to be the start of a new series afterwards. However, since the movie was shown at a ridiculous time in the states and the ratings were poor (shame cos they were very high in the UK) the partnership between both fox and bbc in making the doctor who series was frozen.Also, let's consider that the movie was in a tug-of-war between three companies and it was "Americanized". Too many concessions were made and the America companies didn't take it seriously. It was doomed from the start.

There has not been any talk of a movie since. None that im aware of anyway.Actually, there was and it delayed the development of the new series. Once the BBC decided to give up on another movie, they allowed it to be pitched as a new television series.

I bleeive that Doctor Who is more focused on series 2 aswell as the production of a new christmas special which is scheduled to be aired 25th december 2006. And don't forget Torchwood aswell.During the airing of the new series in the U.K., I heard a rumor that a new movie might be considered as well, but I haven't heard anything recently, so I tend to agree with your assessment.

Metarock Sam
December 30th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Thaks for the analysis D-A-S-P.
I guess i didnt know about the other tv movie part but i know how americanized The 1996 movie was it made it so awful.

December 30th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Thaks for the analysis D-A-S-P.
I guess i didnt know about the other tv movie part but i know how americanized The 1996 movie was it made it so awful.Actually, they were looking to produce a theatrical release, not another tv movie.

Willow'sCat
December 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Also, let's consider that the movie was in a tug-of-war between three companies and it was "Americanized". The "Americanizing" of the TV Movie version of Dr Who is one of the many reasons I still find it hard to take the 8th Doctor to heart. I mostly want to forget the whole thing happened, and it was not the best of scripts. I am glad they never got the go ahead for a new series then, as we wouldn't have the wonderful version we have today. ;)

Not sure I want a movie anyway, they tend to be cheesy and want to appeal to everyone so they can make their money back. I can see it now a "who's, who" *no pun* of the UK acting scene but no real script development.

I also think they would need to sell the TV show to the US market before they even venture at a movie deal, again they would want to make their money back and SciFi isn't cheap *Serenity*. No, better to wait for a deal on US TV *why is that not happening it can't just be the BBC asking too much* and then plot a script then make a movie, I think 2010 sounds like a good year to have a Dr Who movie released. ;)

creed462
December 31st, 2005, 08:21 AM
I would mind a one off story being made to a movie during the shows run

Metarock Sam
December 31st, 2005, 03:40 PM
I think 2010 sounds like a good year to have a Dr Who movie released.

I beleveive they should release the movie november 22nd 2012 beacuse it will themn be the Doctors 50th anniversary.

orii7
December 31st, 2005, 08:37 PM
U guys r sounding like the Doctor Who Movie was awful cause it took place in America! Have some respect for us here! I love brits i think they r cool and i love the accent but to find out alot of u guys r hateing ur stuff cause its in America i would be comeing to the UK and takeing over Radio and Tv stations and asking that u stop hateing the U.S.

Plz everybody,Have respect for each other sooner or later we will have to go to War cause of this and nobody wants another War do they?

P.S. sorry if i offended anybody i wasnt trying to be mean i just want everybody to appreciate each other's people BTW i would do anything (except for nasty things) to see 1 or 2 Doctor Who episodes or even The Movie!:D

December 31st, 2005, 09:28 PM
U guys r sounding like the Doctor Who Movie was awful cause it took place in America! Have some respect for us here! I love brits i think they r cool and i love the accent but to find out alot of u guys r hateing ur stuff cause its in America i would be comeing to the UK and takeing over Radio and Tv stations and asking that u stop hateing the U.S.
Well, I am consistently a critique of attempts to Americanize Doctor Who, not because I hate America, but because part of what makes Doctor Who so special is that it is a British program.

The fact that the movie took place in America wasn't the issue. The issue was that two American companies, along with the BBC, had control of that project and, true to form, showed a complete lack of respect for the continuity, the property, and the fans. They didn't take it seriously, so they "re-envisioned" it, so they could wrap their tiny little minds around the concept and, in doing so, drained the project of its soul.

I have lived in American all my life. I love my country.

But I simply don't want some soulless American television executive multilating my favorite program. I hate most of what's on television here. As a kid, I mainly watched PBS and a large amount of those shows were produced by the BBC.

My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Farscape, and Stargate. None of them are produced in America.

I'm not bashing America. I'm bashing the knee-jerk, lock-step, bottom-line, corporate cowards who populate American television with uninspired, sensationalized, moronic programs...all calculated to be safe from provoking thought and challenging preconceptions.

Plz everybody,Have respect for each other sooner or later we will have to go to War cause of this and nobody wants another War do they?You know, normally I'd discount a statement like that, but with our current President, you never know.

P.S. sorry if i offended anybody i wasnt trying to be mean i just want everybody to appreciate each other's people BTW i would do anything (except for nasty things) to see 1 or 2 Doctor Who episodes or even The Movie!:DYou can see them. All you to do is purchase a multiregion player and then purchase the movie and Season 1 from Amazon.co.uk or some other UK dealer.

December 31st, 2005, 09:34 PM
Incidentially, I purchased a multiregion player. I've already watched the movie and Season 1 region 2 DVDs.

It took a little research to figure out what I needed. If you any questions about it, let me know.

orii7
December 31st, 2005, 11:38 PM
Wow thanks man and now that you've explained it now i get the whole Doctor Who Movie and why not very many people liked it.

Thnx for pointing it out and explaining it :)

December 31st, 2005, 11:47 PM
Wow thanks man and now that you've explained it now i get the whole Doctor Who Movie and why not very many people liked it.

Thnx for pointing it out and explaining it :)Have you seen the 1996 Doctor Who movie yet?

It's charming in its own way, and despite everything I said about it, I was still entertained.

Annoyed at them for throwing continuity out the window and disappointed with the shallowness of the script, but still mildly entertained.

orii7
January 1st, 2006, 10:43 AM
No i havent seen the movie :( but i have seen alot of pictures of it and read about it on the offical website of the classic series

Now the only thing i so far didnt like about the movie is the inside of The TARDIS. it looks like an old abandoned church. but still I really thought the Paul McGann was great at plying The Doctor he looked cool and i almost mistakend him for the guy who played the voice of Marvin in the new movie of "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" :p

But anyways i think the movie,if and when i see it,would be a cool and wonderful movie to watch :)

Flyboy
January 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM
Yes, I personally loved the Doctor Who Movie, but it DID suffer from annoying Americanisation. Deputy-Prime has basically summed it up very well, so I won't add anything more. It was better than nothing.

However, I'd like to also point out that, whilst usually I think Britain has an unusually good nack with making a good film without overshadowing it with hype... the original two Doctor Who movies:

Doctor Who and the Daleks
and
Dalek Invasion Earth: 2050

were terrible. I utterly loath them.

January 1st, 2006, 11:14 AM
However, I'd like to also point out that, whilst usually I think Britain has an unusually good nack with making a good film without overshadowing it with hype... the original two Doctor Who movies:

Doctor Who and the Daleks
and
Dalek Invasion Earth: 2050

were terrible. I utterly loath them.Excellent point. The reason for those movies were for Terry Nation to showcase his new creation, the Daleks. Unfortunately, they hopelessly mangled the other elements from the television series.

Doctor Who and the Daleks was based on The Dead Planet (a.k.a. The Daleks)
Daleks Invasion Earth 2050 A.D. was based on The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

These movies had higher production values and were shot on higher quality film and in COLOR...weeee!

But the better product by far was the television series.

Unless you're interested in everything Dalek or you'd like to see the psychology of the character relationships from the first two seasons of the television series reduced, stripped down, and prechewed; then don't even bother with those two movies.

Peter Cushing is a lovely man, and was charming as the Doctor, but those movies only served to make a mockery of the franchise.

Also, it threatened the very balance of the universe...how so you ask?
Christopher Lee wasn't in the sequel.

It's a basic law of nature that those two actors must either keep appearing in the same movies together, or alternate appearances between sequels, or at least play the same character in different productions. Look up their film history. Every time they broke that rule, they provoked the wrath of nature.

creed462
January 1st, 2006, 01:30 PM
I liked the TV movie, but I understand your points... About Dr who and the Darlek I was so mad about Ian being dumbed down to an... It was just hard to see