This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates on a new Doctor Who Movie

I heard a back when the new seris was coming out there was talk of a movie, has anything change? Does anyone have any info?
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Well in 1998 when they made the tv movie starring the 8th doctor that was originally going to be the start of a new series afterwards. However, since the movie was shown at a ridiculous time in the states and the ratings were poor (shame cos they were very high in the UK) the partnership between both fox and bbc in making the doctor who series was frozen. There has not been any talk of a movie since. None that im aware of anyway. I bleeive that Doctor Who is more focused on series 2 aswell as the production of a new christmas special which is scheduled to be aired 25th december 2006. And don't forget Torchwood aswell.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Sorry to be a pedant Sam, but it was 1996 the movie was aired. Yup, the ratings were about 9 million, which is about the highest for any TV show here. The ratings were so high because it was the first time we had a new Doctor Who since 1989
      Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 29 December 2005, 01:24 PM. Reason: laggy Gateworld :/
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Aw gee sorry about that Luckily I was only 2 years out but I think 1998 is easier to remeber for some reason or another for me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
          Well in 1998 when they made the tv movie starring the 8th doctor that was originally going to be the start of a new series afterwards. However, since the movie was shown at a ridiculous time in the states and the ratings were poor (shame cos they were very high in the UK) the partnership between both fox and bbc in making the doctor who series was frozen.
          Also, let's consider that the movie was in a tug-of-war between three companies and it was "Americanized". Too many concessions were made and the America companies didn't take it seriously. It was doomed from the start.

There has not been any talk of a movie since. None that im aware of anyway.
          Actually, there was and it delayed the development of the new series. Once the BBC decided to give up on another movie, they allowed it to be pitched as a new television series.

I bleeive that Doctor Who is more focused on series 2 aswell as the production of a new christmas special which is scheduled to be aired 25th december 2006. And don't forget Torchwood aswell.
          During the airing of the new series in the U.K., I heard a rumor that a new movie might be considered as well, but I haven't heard anything recently, so I tend to agree with your assessment.

Comment

Thaks for the analysis D-A-S-P.
            I guess i didnt know about the other tv movie part but i know how americanized The 1996 movie was it made it so awful.

Comment

Thaks for the analysis D-A-S-P.
              I guess i didnt know about the other tv movie part but i know how americanized The 1996 movie was it made it so awful.
              Actually, they were looking to produce a theatrical release, not another tv movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                Also, let's consider that the movie was in a tug-of-war between three companies and it was "Americanized".
                The "Americanizing" of the TV Movie version of Dr Who is one of the many reasons I still find it hard to take the 8th Doctor to heart. I mostly want to forget the whole thing happened, and it was not the best of scripts. I am glad they never got the go ahead for a new series then, as we wouldn't have the wonderful version we have today.

Not sure I want a movie anyway, they tend to be cheesy and want to appeal to everyone so they can make their money back. I can see it now a "who's, who" *no pun* of the UK acting scene but no real script development.

I also think they would need to sell the TV show to the US market before they even venture at a movie deal, again they would want to make their money back and SciFi isn't cheap *Serenity*. No, better to wait for a deal on US TV *why is that not happening it can't just be the BBC asking too much* and then plot a script then make a movie, I think 2010 sounds like a good year to have a Dr Who movie released.

Comment

I would mind a one off story being made to a movie during the shows run
                  Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I think 2010 sounds like a good year to have a Dr Who movie released.

I beleveive they should release the movie november 22nd 2012 beacuse it will themn be the Doctors 50th anniversary.

Comment

U guys r sounding like the Doctor Who Movie was awful cause it took place in America! Have some respect for us here! I love brits i think they r cool and i love the accent but to find out alot of u guys r hateing ur stuff cause its in America i would be comeing to the UK and takeing over Radio and Tv stations and asking that u stop hateing the U.S.

Plz everybody,Have respect for each other sooner or later we will have to go to War cause of this and nobody wants another War do they?

P.S. sorry if i offended anybody i wasnt trying to be mean i just want everybody to appreciate each other's people BTW i would do anything (except for nasty things) to see 1 or 2 Doctor Who episodes or even The Movie!

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

Originally posted by orii7
                        U guys r sounding like the Doctor Who Movie was awful cause it took place in America! Have some respect for us here! I love brits i think they r cool and i love the accent but to find out alot of u guys r hateing ur stuff cause its in America i would be comeing to the UK and takeing over Radio and Tv stations and asking that u stop hateing the U.S.
                        Well, I am consistently a critique of attempts to Americanize Doctor Who, not because I hate America, but because part of what makes Doctor Who so special is that it is a British program.

The fact that the movie took place in America wasn't the issue. The issue was that two American companies, along with the BBC, had control of that project and, true to form, showed a complete lack of respect for the continuity, the property, and the fans. They didn't take it seriously, so they "re-envisioned" it, so they could wrap their tiny little minds around the concept and, in doing so, drained the project of its soul.

I have lived in American all my life. I love my country.

But I simply don't want some soulless American television executive multilating my favorite program. I hate most of what's on television here. As a kid, I mainly watched PBS and a large amount of those shows were produced by the BBC.

My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Farscape, and Stargate. None of them are produced in America.

I'm not bashing America. I'm bashing the knee-jerk, lock-step, bottom-line, corporate cowards who populate American television with uninspired, sensationalized, moronic programs...all calculated to be safe from provoking thought and challenging preconceptions.

Plz everybody,Have respect for each other sooner or later we will have to go to War cause of this and nobody wants another War do they?
                        You know, normally I'd discount a statement like that, but with our current President, you never know.

P.S. sorry if i offended anybody i wasnt trying to be mean i just want everybody to appreciate each other's people BTW i would do anything (except for nasty things) to see 1 or 2 Doctor Who episodes or even The Movie!
                        You can see them. All you to do is purchase a multiregion player and then purchase the movie and Season 1 from Amazon.co.uk or some other UK dealer.

Comment

Incidentially, I purchased a multiregion player. I've already watched the movie and Season 1 region 2 DVDs.

It took a little research to figure out what I needed. If you any questions about it, let me know.

Comment

Wow thanks man and now that you've explained it now i get the whole Doctor Who Movie and why not very many people liked it.

Thnx for pointing it out and explaining it

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

Wow thanks man and now that you've explained it now i get the whole Doctor Who Movie and why not very many people liked it.

Thnx for pointing it out and explaining it
                              Have you seen the 1996 Doctor Who movie yet?

It's charming in its own way, and despite everything I said about it, I was still entertained.

Annoyed at them for throwing continuity out the window and disappointed with the shallowness of the script, but still mildly entertained.

Comment

Working...
                              X