This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Gate Coordinates

So, maybe I just missed something in Lost City 1 & 2, or they didn't explain it all the way, but can anybody remind me/tell me how Daniel had the coordinates he had on the marker board BEFORE he added the 8th symbol?

Were those the coordinates from the 'end' of the gatelist that O'neill downloaded into the SGC computers the first time he was 'head-sucked' and that Jonas guessed would be the lost city?

I'm thinking no, since those were coordinates to a local-galaxy planet, not an 8 symbol address.

Also -- HOW the heck did they figure out the 8th symbol?? That seemed like a pretty important discovery. Though I suppose we are to assume that Daniel and McKay and everybody has been going through the Antarctic outpost computers??

Really, I have no idea how they got the Atlantis gate address, the first 7 symbols, let alone the additional 8th one.

Anyone?

that tablet thing that daniel was 'dreaming' about in that one Season 7 episode.. Chimera?

Comment

After exploring the oputpost they came across a few set of gate coordinates, as you saw, there were about 4 sets on Daniel's blackboard.

8 chevrons= 7 points in sapce, 6 being a planet, 1 being a new galaxy, and 1 being the point of origin. THis was first discovered in The Fifth Race, when jack did it to contact the Asgard. it was also used again in Point of View.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I'm wondering where they found the address to dial back to Atlantis once they were in Pegasus, since the symbols are now Pegasus constellations. It was probably in an easy to find spot, but it would have been nice to have a little scene with McKay looking at a monitor saying "OK, this is where we are."
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Yea, they said that everytime someone with the Ancient gene sat in the chair, they discovered new information about the Ancients.
          *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
          McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
            Dreamed?.
            It can't be what he 'dreamed' since he finally realized he didn't know and never knew. So that ain't it.

Did they ever SAY anywhere that those sets of gate addresses on Daniel's board were from the studying they've been doing at the Antarctic site?

All I remember him saying is "so far we thought we had a set of coordinates" or something like that. I was assuming it was some earlier episode i just blanked on.

It wasn't given to them by Jack during his ancient-knowldge days, since the address he gave was to the good-ZPM planet to make the Earth weapon work. Not to the Lost City.

SO WHERE DID THEY GET THE ADDRESS??

Still wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
              I'm wondering where they found the address to dial back to Atlantis once they were in Pegasus, since the symbols are now Pegasus constellations. It was probably in an easy to find spot, but it would have been nice to have a little scene with McKay looking at a monitor saying "OK, this is where we are."
              I would assume that each symbol on a Milky Way gate has a corresponding symbol on a Pegasus gate, and all the Atlantis team has to do is convert the coordinates they dialed from Earth (after eliminating the extra chevron used for intergalactic travel). Presumably, a similar method is used to determine how to dial back to Earth from Atlantis.
              Rocky

Comment

It was probably not too hard to figure out givent that they had access to the "address book" of the city's dialing computer. It was probably one of the only (if not THE only) eight-symbol address in the list. We know there is also a hub in the Ida galaxy but that one may have been added after Atlantis was abandoned and so it might not be in the city's computer.

You know, we may be misinterpreting the use of the eighth chevron. We've usually been assuming that it was a sort of "1+area code" dialing system to dial planets outside our own galaxy, but maybe the eighth chevron actually completely changes the meaning of the first six to indicate a specific galactic "hub" instead of a planet. To travel between galaxies you travel between hubs and then hop off locally from there, much like taking an international flight to a small country and then picking up a local commuter flight from there to your final destination. A galaxy would only have one (or a small number of) hubs; this would mean that the six chevrons would allow for a VERY large gate system indeed. Plus it would mean the gate system would not need to try to track the stellar drift between two arbitrary gates in galaxies millions of light-years apart.

Comment

Originally posted by langdonboom
                  It can't be what he 'dreamed' since he finally realized he didn't know and never knew. So that ain't it.

Did they ever SAY anywhere that those sets of gate addresses on Daniel's board were from the studying they've been doing at the Antarctic site?

All I remember him saying is "so far we thought we had a set of coordinates" or something like that. I was assuming it was some earlier episode i just blanked on.

It wasn't given to them by Jack during his ancient-knowldge days, since the address he gave was to the good-ZPM planet to make the Earth weapon work. Not to the Lost City.

SO WHERE DID THEY GET THE ADDRESS??

Still wondering.
                  Noooo, at the beginning of SGA, someone stated that everytime someone sat in the Ancient chair, more secrets about the Ancients were discovered. Maybe thats how the address was found.

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                    I think it's safe to assume that all Pegasus gates have such long addy's. See the gates in the Milky Way (ya know, I really hate that name) are all old. They were probably created way before the Ancients even thought about going to other galaxy's through the network. The newer gate system, which includes the Asgard and Pegasus galaxy must have been upgraded to differentiate between different galaxy's and their inherent planets.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                      I think it's safe to assume that all Pegasus gates have such long addy's. See the gates in the Milky Way (ya know, I really hate that name) are all old. They were probably created way before the Ancients even thought about going to other galaxy's through the network. The newer gate system, which includes the Asgard and Pegasus galaxy must have been upgraded to differentiate between different galaxy's and their inherent planets.
                      I think the Ancients accounted for future expanse when they built the older gates. Thus the reason for the 2 additional chevrons. They were put there for a "just in case" situation that the gate network would expand much further.

Comment

They must have found the Atlantis address in that same database.

Comment

Spoilers, in general I think

You know, reading through a lot of this, I have a question someone else asked somewhere along the way, but I don't remember where. How does the 8th Chevron really work? We thought that you gave it the destination coordinates and then a distance factor (the area code or 8th Cevron), but does it act more like a shift or control key and change the meaning of the first 6 symbols?

Does each galaxy have a hub gate, i.e. when you dial Pegasus, can you only go to the Atlantis gate or can you go to any gate? I would think this would be hard to do since each galaxy is spining around really Really fast and the position of the stars in one galaxy, with reference to another galaxy, are changing constantly. If you look at stars within our own galaxy, their position is relatively fixed. If you look at another galaxy, that galaxy by itself will also appear fixed in terms of position, but it's still spinning around that "fixed" position. If you had a designated hub gate, than each galaxy would have it's own single address and that's it. That way, you would have to worry about getting a lock on a specific coordinate inside the destination galaxy.

Comment

All gates within a galaxy probably have a 7 system (6+PoO). Then we don't know how no. 8 works. It could be that 8 is another galaxy. That would give them 38 possible other galaxies. It could be that 8 and 9 works together, if 9 isn't entered it goes with 8. That would allow 1444 galaxies. If it is a shift tangent we have ALOT more galaxies to choose from

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                              I think the Ancients accounted for future expanse when they built the older gates. Thus the reason for the 2 additional chevrons. They were put there for a "just in case" situation that the gate network would expand much further.
                              Well foresight goes a long way when you're doing a project of such massive proportion, doesn't it?

I can definetely agree with you on that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X