PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood Speculation thread (Spoilers for New Doctor Who)

The Signal
December 26th, 2005, 08:27 AM
We now know a little more about this, they are an organisation that collects fallen alien technology and MacGyvers it into new technology for Earth. The first mentioning of Torchwood was in "Bad Wolf", it was part of a question that was something like "What now stands on the site of the former Torchwood building" suggesting it went public at some point, but in "The Christmas Invasion" even the United Nations was not aware of it.

The series, which will show on BBC3 in the Autumn of 2006 will star John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, who was last seen in "The Parting of The Ways" having been revived from his death while defending the Bad Wolf station from a Dalek attack in the year 200,100 (or at some time near there). It has been stated that there will be no explanation as to how Jack got back to the 21st century, however it was also stated that the Captain would return to Doctor Who in series 3/29. This may be no longer relevant as this may have been before any Torchwood work began, or it could be that he will be picked up by the Doctor in a later episode, and he will eventually stay behind on Earth to work with Torchwood

Metarock Sam
December 26th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Hey Ptah you forgot a bou7t their Big honking spacegun

The Signal
December 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Any thoughts on plots?

iLemon
December 27th, 2005, 04:04 AM
They sound a lot like the SGC- gathering alien tech and using to to improve Earth's tech & defences.
I've been wondering whether Harriet fired at the ship to test out the new weapon.

The Signal
December 27th, 2005, 04:38 AM
They sound a lot like the SGC- gathering alien tech and using to to improve Earth's tech & defences.
I've been wondering whether Harriet fired at the ship to test out the new weapon.

Im thinking more NID, they hardly go for the diplomatic approach, hence the laser. And Im not sure that Harriet knew what the weapon was, just that Torchwood existed and that they had powerful technology. Should be interesting to see how Jack reacts to their approach, having traveled with the Doctor

Willow'sCat
December 27th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Im thinking more NID, they hardly go for the diplomatic approach, hence the laser. And Im not sure that Harriet knew what the weapon was, just that Torchwood existed and that they had powerful technology. Should be interesting to see how Jack reacts to their approach, having traveled with the DoctorNo she said they recovered it (Alien tech) ten years ago so she must have known what it was and her "right-hand-man" was talking to Torchwood (they are ready now) when he told them to use it.

Hmm, I have not idea as to plots but I want lots of Capt Jack, I hope they keep his sexual ambiguity in the show *not really ambiguous* :D it is refreshing to see a character that isn't hung up on sex/sexuality but who isn't Kirking! :p

Reefgirl
December 27th, 2005, 04:54 AM
I've said this on another tread but IMHO I think Capt Jack is on the ship that crashed 10 years earlier

Willow'sCat
December 27th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I've said this on another tread but IMHO I think Capt Jack is on the ship that crashed 10 years earlierYes but that would make him ten years older wouldn't it? :S

I don't think they will explain it or maybe he got a lift from some other Alien with timetravel abilities lord knows there are a lot of them about. ;)

Reefgirl
December 28th, 2005, 01:59 AM
It'll be interesting to see how he does get back and keep his youthful appearence

The Signal
April 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
*mahusive bump*Okay,from what I have heard from Russell on the latest DW confidential (the one for the new season), Captain Jack has found a way back to 2006 and went to Cardiff as it is the place that the Doctor is most likely to go to (the rift) and it is from there that he gets involved with Torchwood, so it looks like he might not have been on that ship that crashed afterall

Mattathias2.0
April 12th, 2006, 04:50 PM
No she said they recovered it (Alien tech) ten years ago so she must have known what it was and her "right-hand-man" was talking to Torchwood (they are ready now) when he told them to use it.

Hmm, I have not idea as to plots but I want lots of Capt Jack, I hope they keep his sexual ambiguity in the show *not really ambiguous* :D it is refreshing to see a character that isn't hung up on sex/sexuality but who isn't Kirking! :p

I'd watch it for homoeroticism alone!

Mattathias

Willow'sCat
April 12th, 2006, 08:26 PM
*mahusive bump*Okay,from what I have heard from Russell on the latest DW confidential (the one for the new season), Captain Jack has found a way back to 2006 and went to Cardiff as it is the place that the Doctor is most likely to go to (the rift) and it is from there that he gets involved with Torchwood, so it looks like he might not have been on that ship that crashed afterallWell I didn't think that made sense as he would be older and no-one wants that. ;) Maybe the rift has something to do with it? Aw, are they screening the Confidential things again? Where?

I'd watch it for homoeroticism alone!
Haha, I trust Russell to do the right thing and if that means more naked Capt Jack and *cough* then so be it! :P Hey I can hope. :D

Mattathias2.0
April 13th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Well I didn't think that made sense as he would be older and no-one wants that. ;) Maybe the rift has something to do with it? Aw, are they screening the Confidential things again? Where?
Haha, I trust Russell to do the right thing and if that means more naked Capt Jack and *cough* then so be it! :P Hey I can hope. :D

More naked Capt Jack? :P

I'm in Ameica so we are now just viewing the episodes... The episode of this coming week is Dalek, which I am looking forward to.

I just happen to read spoilers and find out all the info on the latest of Doctor Who because I have seen Doctor Who since I was a child. The old Tom Baker episodes.

Yes, Capt Jack is hot... and yes, the 10th Doctor is too... Now there is some slash I can handle!

Mattathias

The Signal
April 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Maybe the rift has something to do with it? Aw, are they screening the Confidential things again? Where?

Perhaps they left the extraporlater (sp) lying around and he rode that home. As for the confidential, it was on on sunday, dunno if it will repeat though

Billz
April 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
When doe's Torchwood start by the way? Ive been a little behind on any news relateing to this spin-off.

The Signal
April 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Starts filming next month, so probably about October, maybe earlier

Willow'sCat
April 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
More naked Capt Jack? :P
You're in for a treat. Yes. Treat. :D

As for the confidential, it was on on sunday, dunno if it will repeat thoughI've seen it now. :)

Naonak
April 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hey Ptah you forgot a bou7t their Big honking spacegun

Also known as the Death Star.

yaaayoubetcha
April 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM
might have been posted before, but here's a link to a promo shot of Capt Jack and Gwen Cooper.

cj&gc (http://shinymedia.blogs.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/torchwood_8a_1.jpg)

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 12:22 AM
OMG! I don't care if the show is rubbish I'll just look at the pretty. :D Although this means he won't be wearing his uniform. :(

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Looks like if the Doctor ever comes up against Torchwood he's gonna have problems, should be entertaining, too bad theres no crossovers in S1 and S2/28, but there is always the 2nd Christmas special and rumer has it a certain Captain is appearing in that special

Wraith Scientist
April 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
MASSIVE SPOILERS for Tooth and Claw:

In Tooth and Claw, having seen that there are enemies beyond planet Earth, Queen Victoria founds the Torchwood institute (after Torchwood house, in memory of a scientist and his grandson who's names I can't remember) to combat alien and supernatural threats. She also threatens that if the Doctor ever returns, Torchwood will be waiting for him.

They have existed since then, aquiring, researching and developing alien technology and handling extraterrestrial threats to Great Britain and the Earth.

Missster.Freeman
April 22nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Wraith Scientist, could you put spoiler tags around those paragraphs please? Thanks.

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
MASSIVE SPOILERS for Tooth and Claw:

In Tooth and Claw, having seen that there are enemies beyond planet Earth, Queen Victoria founds the Torchwood institute (after Torchwood house, in memory of a scientist and his grandson who's names I can't remember) to combat alien and supernatural threats. She also threatens that if the Doctor ever returns, Torchwood will be waiting for him.

They have existed since then, aquiring, researching and developing alien technology and handling extraterrestrial threats to Great Britain and the Earth.
Well spotted, you should use tags by the way, spoiler space is a pain in the arse. Any how, I thought the origins were well explained, and Im pretty impressed, cant wait for the series to start now :D

Watch the latest Tardiose guys, looks like Torchwood not only observe but hide information on aliens, why do I get the feeling that they arent meant to do it? Kinda makes me think Cpt Jack did it to lead the Doctor there, but I think I migh be reading too much into it

Wraith Scientist
April 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Done, it's in spoiler tags

Watch the latest Tardiose guys, looks like Torchwood not only observe but hide information on aliens, why do I get the feeling that they arent meant to do it? Kinda makes me think Cpt Jack did it to lead the Doctor there, but I think I migh be reading too much into it

Mmm ... seen it. Interesting. Torchwood is everywhere!

They seem almost like UNIT to me, but might end up being allies or enemies. I could see them being a real pain in future for the Doctor

ShadowMaat
April 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
D'you think Jack might harbor any resentment towards the Doctor for leaving him stranded on the Bad Wolf station, or do you think he's more interested in just hooking up with him again (however you want to interpret that)? ;) Or maybe he's having fun with Torchwood and is happy where he is?

Have we figured out how- or even if- the gap in Jack's memory figures in to any of this?

Flyboy
April 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
D'you think Jack might harbor any resentment towards the Doctor for leaving him stranded on the Bad Wolf station, or do you think he's more interested in just hooking up with him again (however you want to interpret that)? ;) Or maybe he's having fun with Torchwood and is happy where he is?

Have we figured out how- or even if- the gap in Jack's memory figures in to any of this?
I've suggested it many times before that I think Torchwood is set during the two year gap in Jack's memorys. Mainly due to the fact we are not told how Jack gets back from the future plus it would allow us to see a much darker Jack than we all know and love.

ShadowMaat
April 22nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
I've suggested it many times before that I think Torchwood is set during the two year gap in Jack's memorys. Mainly due to the fact we are not told how Jack gets back from the future plus it would allow us to see a much darker Jack than we all know and love.
I was leaning towards that, and given what Torchwood is up to, it'd make sense that at the end of it they'd wipe his memory, but a two year gap is an awfully small timeframe for a series, unless there's a whole lotta time travel involved. :P And if he's tripping through time, he wouldn't really need the Doctor, would he?

Flyboy
April 23rd, 2006, 04:15 AM
I was leaning towards that, and given what Torchwood is up to, it'd make sense that at the end of it they'd wipe his memory, but a two year gap is an awfully small timeframe for a series, unless there's a whole lotta time travel involved. :P And if he's tripping through time, he wouldn't really need the Doctor, would he?
Torchwood has absolutely no time travel what so ever as far as Im aware. I dont think Torchwood is intended to be an Atlantis style spin off, I think its a spin off intended to tell a story vital to the main storyline and will end after its accomplished this.

Happy_Gate
April 23rd, 2006, 04:28 AM
I don't want to start a new thread to ask this, but I was wondering...is Captain Jack bisexual?

Egeria
April 23rd, 2006, 04:34 AM
I don't want to start a new thread to ask this, but I was wondering...is Captain Jack bisexual?

I think we can safely say that he is. :)

Mr Prophet
April 23rd, 2006, 04:48 AM

More omnisexual. The Doctor clearly implies that a human from Jack's time would have little or no prejudices on grounds of gender or species.

I don't know about the series itself, but the Torchood reference in Tooth and Claw was horribly laboured. I hope they can be more subtle in future.

Willow'sCat
April 23rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
I don't want to start a new thread to ask this, but I was wondering...is Captain Jack bisexual?No, why would you ask that? :p :D

OK so "Tooth & Claw" sets up Torchwood as a little sinister. I hope so anyway. I am not sure I like the idea that Capt Jack might not have any memory of The Doctor, either from his past or his future though. I want banter and stuff, eventually. ;)

Happy_Gate
April 23rd, 2006, 05:55 AM
More omnisexual. The Doctor clearly implies that a human from Jack's time would have little or no prejudices on grounds of gender or species.

thanks, must have missed that.

The Signal
April 23rd, 2006, 06:17 AM
Apparently not, I've heard that it isnt set before he met the 9th Doctor, and I have also read that he comes across Torchwood when he arrives in Cardiff, he goes there because of the rift, knowing that it is the most likely place for the Doctor to arrive in at some point or another. Its a possibility, but I think we will find out about the Captains past in S3/29 and beyond.

Mr Prophet
April 23rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
thanks, must have missed that.

"So many species, so little time."

Flyboy
April 23rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
"Thats.... what we do? When we get out there? We...."

"Dance!" :D

The Signal
May 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'm trying to find the Doctor. Because there is something that the viewing public won't know yet, there's something about Jack that nobody knows. And he needs the Doctor.
Heres the rest (http://www.afterelton.com/people/2006/5/intbarrowman8.html)

Any thoughts?

Metarock Sam
May 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM
It will be something to do with eitherhow Jack makes it back or to do with his 2 missing years of his life.

Scoobing
July 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I was thinking we could use this thread to talk about the new Torchwood series. Keeping all the thoughts in one place, and if there ever is a sub-forum made at a later stage it can always be chucked in. But for now I wanted to discuss some things about Torchwood, and thought I might aswell make a place. Couldn't find one already. :)

I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully it will be quite a dark series, maybe with some of Jack's humor helping it, he did have a good wit.

I'm thinking it will take place in the alt universe? That may explain why Torchwood has to deal with events and problems, and why the Doctor isn't around to help.

Perhaps Billie would guest star as a member visiting Cardiff from the London HQ? What do you think the stories will be like? I understand they will be more detective-like, but I wonder how they will incorporate that with aliens and odd goings on without making it too similar to DW.

Anyway I can't wait, when does it start again? And what's everyone elses thoughts, too soon for a spinoff? BBC3=doom?

Flyboy
July 10th, 2006, 04:13 PM
No to the alt universe. Jack is in OUR universe.

I just hope it's not as lame as the Torchwood in the last two eps of Doctor Who S28 were...

Scoobing
July 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
The name is cool at least. :) And the idea itself has promised. I'm hopeful.

Darkseid
July 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
No to the alt universe. Jack is in OUR universe.

I just hope it's not as lame as the Torchwood in the last two eps of Doctor Who S28 were...

Testify!!!

The Signal
July 11th, 2006, 07:45 AM
So, i get the feeling that Jack's issues have something to do with his revival, wonder how that will pan out. Anyway, I get the feeling that this is a totally different Torchwood to the one in London, from what we have heard and seen it just seems darker IMO.

The Signal
July 11th, 2006, 07:45 AM
We have one of these already guys http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21655&page=2

Scoobing
July 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Sorry my bad. It had not been used for month or so, and therefore when I did my search it didn't show up for a few pages. We can just let this one drift down and head into the bigger thread. :)

EDIT: Hey it got merged, TY Mod! :)

The Signal
July 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Some new information on one episode of Season One

HOT news from the set of Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood, which hits BBC3 in the autumn. In one storyline, the intrepid investigators - played by John Barrowman and Eve Myles - get to fight a half-Cyberman half-woman who was left behind after the final episodes of Doctor Who.
(from http://www.mirror.co.uk/tvandfilm/tvland/)
Yvonne perhaps?

Willow'sCat
July 31st, 2006, 03:03 AM
Heres the rest (http://www.afterelton.com/people/2006/5/intbarrowman8.html)

Any thoughts?Jack is a Timelord!!!!! OK maybe not but it would be cool. :D

yaaayoubetcha
August 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
I just saw something on AOTS indicating that Torchwood production has been delayed because they've discovered a lot of the digital they've shot is comming out too dark to work with.

They've indicated that the start date might be pushed back to 2007.

Of course, this was just on the scroll and I can't find a link on their site...anybody else heard anything on this?

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
I just saw something on AOTS indicating that Torchwood production has been delayed because they've discovered a lot of the digital they've shot is comming out too dark to work with.

Of course, this was just on the scroll and I can't find a link on their site...anybody else heard anything on this?
yeah I saw that too.

Oh and I found a link via a search with Google News (http://news.google.com/):
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060802b.php

And another link from the news article from above:
http://scifipulse.net/Dr_Who/Torchwood_HIDef.html

LaCroix
August 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
God, I hope we in the States get to see this. After years of not seeing this show I hope it continues.

Willow'sCat
August 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
yeah I saw that too.

Oh and I found a link via a search with Google News (http://news.google.com/):
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060802b.php

And another link from the news article from above:
http://scifipulse.net/Dr_Who/Torchwood_HIDef.html

I'm not getting worried until the BBC starts reporting it, and your first link only goes to general news items. :S Of course this could explain the delays...they have had a few. :cool:

chanvw
August 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM

I don't really think we need to worry about it at the moment - according to this site (http://torchwoodtv.blogspot.com/2006/08/hd-or-not-hd-that-is-question.html), the HD is old news. Here's hoping for Torchwood in October :)

Willow'sCat
August 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I like RTD saying it is like The X-Files meets This Life. ;) I am hoping it will be mature in nature, I don't want a show that falls for silly childish scifi types of scenario's, I love dark, the darker the better, gritty is good too. Here's hoping. :)

Yes I believe the SciFi pulse thing was BS. I am hoping for a September start myself, I mean if they leave it much longer it will clash with Doctor Who's Chrissy episode. :S Unless it is meant to. ;)

Willow'sCat
September 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Any news on when it is meant to be starting?

I thought they said it was meant to be screened between Doctor Who. :S

Darkstar
September 5th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I think it is running for about 13 episodes is it not, Dr who season 29 or whatever doesen't start untill next year so The TW series will probably run if it starts in the begining of October until the end of december, then we get the Christmas special of Dr who, i hope it doesen't hold off and resume after the new year that would be crap and totoaly throw the show into the realms of the Sci fi chanel and all those science fiction shows that stop for a 6 month hiatus :D

Willow'sCat
September 5th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I went to OPG and they have a rumoured start of October (28 or 29) in the news section. :(

Willow'sCat
September 30th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Any news yet? Air date? :S Why are they being so silent on an air date? Even if they have to move it back a bit so what, why be so secretive? :S

Seems late, late October is the most likely air date still. :cool:

John Barrowman is going to be interviewed on a radio station called Capital Gold on Tuesday 3rd of October around 9.00am UK time. You can listen on line! :)

www.capitalgold.com (http://www.capitalgold.com)

Tamilas Arrondil
October 1st, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hey,

Do you guys know whether or not it's gonna air in Australia? Like, is the BBC going to send it out to the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).

I Hope so!!!!!

:anubis:

Willow'sCat
October 1st, 2006, 08:30 PM
Hey,

Do you guys know whether or not it's gonna air in Australia? Like, is the BBC going to send it out to the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).

I Hope so!!!!!I've been wondering about that, scince I am from Australia, but I doubt it. The ABC is strapped for cash at the moment, I think they will wait a while before even considering showing it here. Like when it is in it's second series and rates well in the UK. :cool:

Tamilas Arrondil
October 1st, 2006, 10:28 PM
Grrr, the ABC can annoy me sometimes. The DVD's of season 2 were about to come out when they were considering airing it for the first time (Doctor Who)

Hopefully they'll get it!! :)

Willow'sCat
October 1st, 2006, 11:38 PM
Grrr, the ABC can annoy me sometimes. The DVD's of season 2 were about to come out when they were considering airing it for the first time (Doctor Who)It could be worse, at least the ABC has a reasonable turn around time for showing Doctor Who, unlike Channel 7 and the Stargates. :cool: Not to mention a decent time slot that isn't changed every week. ;) :)

The Signal
October 6th, 2006, 07:41 AM
:eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3gy84E3tw

The adds have started airing!

Naonak
October 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I know! Caught it after last night's Extras - very exciting. :)

But when is it actually on?!?! :eek: :p

Oreo
October 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
It's three seconds long. :lol:

Missster.Freeman
October 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
:eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3gy84E3tw

The adds have started airing!
Oooh, that is just about the most teasing of teasers I've seen! Just like the flaming arrow at the end of last season's Dr Who episodes.

Am I correct that Torchwood will be on BBC3 only? If it is, I seriously need to get a new Freeview box quick!

The Signal
October 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
It'll be on BBC1, but probably not till the new year, so the Freeview Box is probably the better option, I know I couldnt wait :D

Oreo
October 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I see in 3 years the line up for Sci-fi will be....

Fall
BSG
Caprica

Spring
Doctor Who
Sarah Jane

Summer
Torchwood
K-9

Winter
**** shows
Atlantis

hehehe

The Signal
October 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Sarah Jane won't go big, its a kids show desinged for younger fans of the Who Franchise while Torchwood goes for the adult audience, Who is the middle man's family show. K9 is a cartoon made by an independant group and has nothing to do with the PTB of Doctor Who as they dont actually own the rights to him (or the Daleks, so expect their series any day now).

Willow'sCat
October 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM
They have this at the BBC press release page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/wk43/unplaced.shtml#unplaced_torchwood

"BBC THREE Unplaced Week 43
Torchwood – Everything Changes
Unplaced Day and time to be confirmed BBC THREE"

I hear it will be either the Saturday night of the 21st or the 27th of October. Wish they would just say it already. :S

The Signal
October 7th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Dammit! Im going out on the 21st :eek: *pray for 27th*

The Signal
October 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM
:eek: The full add just aired on BBC1 after Robin Hood, looks absolutely awesome! Not long now! :D

Missster.Freeman
October 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Nice! I'll watch the ad later when I get home. Ah, according to the info in Willow'sCat's post, it will be on BBC3. If I can't get a new Freeview box in time, I'll have to rely on my unreliable box. :mckay: Or from disreputable sources. I'd rather not do that as I want to contribute to the viewing figures.

Willow'sCat
October 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Nice! I'll watch the ad later when I get home. Ah, according to the info in Willow'sCat's post, it will be on BBC3. If I can't get a new Freeview box in time, I'll have to rely on my unreliable box. :mckay: Or from disreputable sources. I'd rather not do that as I want to contribute to the viewing figures.Um, what is a freeview box? :S Also they may still repeat it on BBC1. If I was the BBC I would, as it is the home of Doctor Who, seems silly to potentially lose a ready made audience if they need this freeview box thingy. :cool:

Missster.Freeman
October 7th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Freeview is a free digital TV service for Britain. A decoder box is needed to convert the digital signal to watch on existing TV sets. It's like a cut down version of Sky Digital. Freeview was rubbish compared to Sky when it first came out, but there are more channels coming onstream. Those with Sky can get BBC3 as part of the package as well. The reason I need a new box is my old one keeps cutting out on me, especially when I'm trying to enjoy a programme.

I don't think there would be any loss of audience either 'cause more and more people are buying them everyday as well as new Sky subscribers. And besides, having a Freeview box or Sky Digital will be essential from 2008 onwards, as the gradual switch off of the analogue signal commences that year.

on topic: I caught a bit of the full length ad earlier. It's looking good. I can't wait to see it! :D

Flyboy
October 7th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Separate from the Government, outside police jurisdiction and beyond the United Nations, the Torchwood Institute sets its own rules. Based in Cardiff, the Torchwood team delves into the unknown, battling against the impossible in a highly volatile underworld of savage aliens and monsters whilst trying to maintain their everyday lives

I'm sorry it was SO dramatic... and then they said "Cardiff". Teehee. I find that amusing.

IMForeman
October 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM
That was an awesome trailer tonight. Can't wait to start exploring those dark corners of the Whoniverse.

The Signal
October 8th, 2006, 03:40 AM
The trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CviaWJzX7r8

Mr Prophet
October 8th, 2006, 04:31 AM
BBC7 have announced the launch night (on BBC1 and BBC3) will be the 21st. They're also doing four special screenings in cinemas on the 18th; the details on how to win tickets is just before Journey Into Space if you go to the listen again page.

Willow'sCat
October 8th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Ooh we finally have a screening date! Yay! :D

Freeview is a free digital TV service for Britain. A decoder box is needed to convert the digital signal to watch on existing TV sets.Oh I see, we call them Digital set top boxes here. ;)

Oreo
October 8th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Do you think it will ever be shown in the USA?

IMForeman
October 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Do you think it will ever be shown in the USA?

I'm gonna go with "doubtful" but Who knows?

Mr.Clark
October 8th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I'm gonna go with "doubtful" but Who knows?It depends on how popular Doctor Who is, doesn't it. [EDIT: What the hell am I talking about? SG-1 was popular, but that didn't help it did it?[/EDIT]

The Signal - thanks for that trailer link :D

Flyboy
October 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I'm gonna go with "doubtful" but Who knows?
"Who" knows indeed! ;-)

cvife
October 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
ok, i've just seen the full trailer for torchwood, and i am telling you that RTD's comment that there will not be any large crossovers between dr who and torchwood is untrue for lack of a better word that would not force me to swear, and heres my evidence:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/cvife/torchwoodthing.jpg
i dont know about you but that looks very much laike a half transformed cyberman/woman to me and later on in the trailer it shows this thing electricuting someone with it's hand...

Flyboy
October 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
This just defies Cyber-lore though... a Cyberman in new who is COMPLETELY mechanical except for the brain!

ShadowMaat
October 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM
So have you lucky buggers in the UK heard about the contest (http://torchwoodtv.blogspot.com/2006/10/torchwood-premiere-tickets-up-for.html)to win tickets to a cinema screening of the premiere?

*cries at the unfairness of it all and curses her damn Yankee heritage* :P

Willow'sCat
October 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM
This just defies Cyber-lore though... a Cyberman in new who is COMPLETELY mechanical except for the brain!It may just be they are just using Cyberman technology, after-all isn't that one of the reasons for Torchwood's existence; to use/research alien tech to "help" Britain become an Empire again? :cool: :rolleyes:

Flyboy
October 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I can't see that being the mission statement of Captain Jack's Torchwood.... can you?

Willow'sCat
October 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I can't see that being the mission statement of Captain Jack's Torchwood.... can you?I have no idea, I actually think it may be worse then that. It is meant to be dark, of course they may be the good guys in a world of evil doers. :p

What do we really know about Jack? He is/was a con man after all, can we really trust him? :cool:

IMForeman
October 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM
This just defies Cyber-lore though... a Cyberman in new who is COMPLETELY mechanical except for the brain!

That the AU Cybermen. The Mondasian Cybermen may not play by the same rules.

The Signal
October 9th, 2006, 07:42 AM
How is it not true? He said no crossovers, but they still exist in the same universe, heck, one of the main characters was in "Aliens of London". Having a cyberwoman isnt the same as having a crossover.

Flyboy
October 9th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Which one?

The Signal
October 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Which one?
Her name is "Toshiko Sato", she was the scientist who was working on the pig that had been "rewired" by the Slitheen

Flyboy
October 9th, 2006, 10:23 AM
We sure it's the same actual character?

ShadowMaat
October 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
It figures that on the two shows where I actually wouldn't mind crossovers, they're saying no (at least for now) whereas shows like Atlantis and SG-1, which I amsolutely DO NOT want crossing paths, cross 'em every other week. *grumble*

In a way, I suppose it should be refreshing that they don't want to risk hamstringing the shows. Although unlike Stargate I think the DW/TW PTB are competent enough to make it work.

The Signal
October 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM
We sure it's the same actual character?
Yep. Her name is "Sato" in both, she's played by the same actress and she's in the same line of work, that and the PTB have said so ;)

Flyboy
October 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Exxxxxxxxxcellent. Thankyou!

Mr Prophet
October 9th, 2006, 11:44 AM
It figures that on the two shows where I actually wouldn't mind crossovers, they're saying no (at least for now) whereas shows like Atlantis and SG-1, which I amsolutely DO NOT want crossing paths, cross 'em every other week. *grumble*

Well, the one thing that any Doctor Who spin-off can't afford to have in it is the Doctor. Torchwood is obviously aiming for a level of dark moodiness that woudl be demolished by the arrival of the Doctor. This is not to say that Doctor Who can't so serious, but the Doctor himself would show up and...well, do what he did to Torchwood in Army of Ghosts. Either that or he wouldn't be the Doctor.

The Signal
October 9th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Agreed, however, I think having the Torchwood team in Who would work, so if there is to be a crossover, thats how I would do it.

Flyboy
October 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Well, the one thing that any Doctor Who spin-off can't afford to have in it is the Doctor. Torchwood is obviously aiming for a level of dark moodiness that woudl be demolished by the arrival of the Doctor. This is not to say that Doctor Who can't so serious, but the Doctor himself would show up and...well, do what he did to Torchwood in Army of Ghosts. Either that or he wouldn't be the Doctor.
However, there ARE times when the Doctor can be VERY dark.

ShadowMaat
October 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Or you could GIVE a darker side to Doctor Who by having Torchwood go in and clean up the messes left in the Doctor's wake. Y'know, like how things fell apart on Satellite 5 (or whatever it was) after the Doctor left the first time and civilization more or less collapsed. Although that would probably get overly cutesy, too. And it wouldn't work that often.

Mr Prophet
October 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Well, the real problem isn't so much the darkness as the seriousness. The Doctor, unlike just about everyone else, is very much aware that he's a character in a science fiction series.

Willow'sCat
October 9th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Well, the real problem isn't so much the darkness as the seriousness. The Doctor, unlike just about everyone else, is very much aware that he's a character in a science fiction series.Hmm, not sure what you mean. Personally if both shows only get 13 eps a year then cross-overs really need to happen for a bloody good reason, having said that, RTD owes me *yes me* a Jack cross-over in Doctor Who... he said he would make an appearance in the next series I am holding him to that. :cool:

Also I am one who definitely thinks The Doctor can be brutally serious and even murderous if he has to be, it is just that Doctor Who is not that type of show, I am just saying to me, it wouldn't be out of character for him to show a darker side if he did appear in Torchwood.

Mr Prophet
October 12th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Also I am one who definitely thinks The Doctor can be brutally serious and even murderous if he has to be, it is just that Doctor Who is not that type of show, I am just saying to me, it wouldn't be out of character for him to show a darker side if he did appear in Torchwood.

No, but it would be out of character for him to take Torchwood or their enemies seriously. He might emerge with his integrity unscathed, but Torchwood wouldn't.

The Signal
October 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
The site is now LIVE! http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

Confirmed premiere date is Sunday October 22nd

Naonak
October 13th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Confirmed premiere date is Sunday October 22nd

Yay! If you weren't a guy and somewhere that's nowhere near me, (I nearly said "a guy on the internet", but that just sounded wrong) I could kiss you! I guess some green'll have to do.

And luckily it means I'll be able to set Sky+ for it before I go on holiday.

The Signal
October 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Thankee, theres more. Though I have neither from a reliable source (all I got so far is Wikipedia), I have heard that the show will be repeated on BB2 on Wednesday nights. Theres also a complete episode list with info on each ep, which Im thinking of forwarding to Darren to try and get us episode threads.

EDIT: And another trailer has been aired http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6PX_7krrU

EDIT2: Until I can find any confirmation, this'll have to do, beware of SPOILERS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Torchwood_episodes

EDIT3: And a little info on each episode:Im warning you, uber spoilers past this point

EPISODE 1: 'Everything Changes' by Russell T Davies When Torchwood arrives on the scene of a brutal murder, WPC Gwen Cooper's burning curiosity is challenged. Their attitude, their approach and their technology is at odds with everything she believes in. But investigating the investigators leads her into a dark, paranoid world she never imagined existed.

EPISODE 2: 'Day One' by Chris Chibnall An alien addicted to sex is let loose on Cardiff's nightlife. Torchwood must track down the creature's new host and in doing so, confront a violent new form of love in the 21st century

EPISODE 3: 'Ghost Machine' by Helen Raynor Torchwood discovers a machine that allows them to view the ghosts that walk among us. Using it, prompts Owen to investigate an unsolved crime - one that could change all their futures."

EPISODE 4: 'The Trouble With Lisa' by Chris Chibnall " There's a dark secret in the basement of the Hub. Even Jack is unaware of it, but Ianto knows. And he'll go to any lengths, sacrifice anything and anyone, to protect what's down there."

EPISODE 5: 'Small Worlds' by Peter J. Hammond Jasmine is a withdrawn but intelligent child whose new 'friends' exploit her suppressed anger, and while investigating this, Jack encounters elemental enemies from his past that are determined to harm those closest to him."

EPISODE 6: 'Countrycide' by Chris Chibnall Upon entering an apparently deserted village in the Brecon Becons, the Torchwood team is separated. Finding his people are the prey in a savage game of cat and mouse Jack faces a team of ruthless hunters far more skilled in surviving outside the confines of the city than he. "

EPISODE 7: 'Greeks Bearing Gifts' by Toby Whithouse. Tosh gains the ability to read the minds of those closest to her but as she becomes party to their darkest secrets, she realises not only is this is a powerful curse, but one impossible to break."

EPISODE 8: 'They Keep Killing' by Paul Tomalin & Dan McCulloch Using alien technology to interrogate the victims of a serial killer, Gwen learns that the common link is dangerously close to home. And the resurrection device has a deadly secret of its own. "

EPISODE 9: 'Invisible Eugene' by Jacquetta May A hit-and-run victim, Eugene, was a bit of a nobody, and always convinced that aliens were coming to Earth, specifically to retrieve technology in his possession. Now Gwen finds herself drawn into his world and realises Eugene may still be helping her locate the 'aliens' - despite him being dead."

EPISODE 10: 'Combat' by Noel Clarke The team discovers a ring who are kidnapping Weevils - wild alien creatures that have come through the Rift and are hiding on Earth - which leads Owen down a dark path to confront the future of his own existence. "

EPISODE 11: 'Out of Time' by Cath Tregenna A small passenger plane from the 1950's flies through the rift and lands in Cardiff 2006. Torchwood is drawn into strong personal relationships as they help the three temporal immigrants adapt to contemporary life."

EPISODE 12: 'Captain Jack Harkness' by Cath Tregenna Transported back to the Blitz, Jack and Tosh find themselves facing a dark secret from Jack's past, one he hoped and believed had been buried for good."

EPISODE 13: 'Apocalypse' by Chris Chibnall The Rift is violently fracturing further, and Jack realises that Torchwood is destined to be drawn into one vast battle that will leave nothing and no one at Torchwood unchanged..."

Flyboy
October 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
So nice to see that they're relying on Lesbian sex to sell the show to the market.... :daniel23:

*angry*

Mr Prophet
October 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM
To be fair, Captain Jack gives us every chance of an equal opportunities snogathon, but the world is what it is. I am increasingly concerned - taking this along with the cyberjubblies - that they may have allowed themselves to be talked into ticking off a few of the 'grown up show, so let's forget integrity' boxes, however.

Flyboy
October 13th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I know! I do not have an objection to homosexuality, but I do have an objection to it being used as a selling point. Mind you I have an objection to sex being used as a selling point so....

Point is. Why is the Lesbian sex there? To draw in a specific audience that watches things because of sex.

Mr Prophet
October 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM
They seem to be doing the sex alien episode, which is another bad sign.

Flyboy
October 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Im not surprised to hear that RTD wrote the ep...

Mr Prophet
October 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Is it just me or does the PJ Hammond ep sound like an unused Sapphire and Steel storyline?

Flyboy
October 13th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Is it just me or does the PJ Hammond ep sound like an unused Sapphire and Steel storyline?

Um... never heard of it.

Missster.Freeman
October 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Ah, I see how you might be thinking that. You must've been reading something into the "elemental enemies" that Jack will face and came to that conclusion. After I read the spoiler again, I'm thinking you could be right now that I know PJ Hammond created Sapphire and Steel. Seems like too much of a coincidence not to be some left over story ideas.

Naonak
October 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah, that's a Cyberman - or at least some kind of experiment based on the Cybermen. Sounds like that might be episode four.
It looks like we'll be getting the main part of Jack's history in episode 12, so I'm looking forward to that one.

A couple of the episodes sound kind of unoriginal, to be honest, but that's always going to be the case with a sci-fi show.

knowles2
October 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Infact that pretty muchthe case with any show. Thier will away be one or two eps which are not completly original.

Willow'sCat
October 13th, 2006, 09:19 PM
So nice to see that they're relying on Lesbian sex to sell the show to the market....

*angry*
Well, I saw a kiss. Where is the sex? :cool: Also she may be a lesbian for all we know. :rolleyes: Or swing like Jack....

Anyway, I am pretty sure they said there would be kissage. I am glad it appears that it is not between her and Jack *yet* that is what I don't want to see, the usual Male lead with the Female lead that is gratuitous! ;)

I can't make head nor tales of those trailers... what on earth is going on?! They are not part of the Government, well I guess we knew that, but who funds them then? They must have a financial backer.

Mr Prophet
October 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Anyway, I am pretty sure they said there would be kissage. I am glad it appears that it is not between her and Jack *yet* that is what I don't want to see, the usual Male lead with the Female lead that is gratuitous! ;)

On the other hand, if there's no flirtage we'll have to assume that Jack isn't well.

I can't make head nor tales of those trailers... what on earth is going on?! They are not part of the Government, well I guess we knew that, but who funds them then? They must have a financial backer.

CDs, ibuprofen and velcro.

Flyboy
October 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM
On the other hand, if there's no flirtage we'll have to assume that Jack isn't well.

CDs, ibuprofen and velcro.

Liking the MIB quote there! ;)

What bothers me... is how freely they give out the name Torchwood. Really.

I mean everyone seems to know it.

Mr Prophet
October 14th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Liking the MIB quote there! ;)

What bothers me... is how freely they give out the name Torchwood. Really.

I mean everyone seems to know it.

Well, they did blow up that spaceship that one time.

Flyboy
October 14th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Well, they did blow up that spaceship that one time.

Yeah but.... honestly.

Doctor Who S28. All the references to Torchwood. SOME were acceptable. Ie the one in The Satan Pit, the Tooth & Claw, School Reuinion ones.

But, in Idiots Lantern the police were complaining about "Torchwood breathing down their necks" and in Fear Her, a SPORTS commentator said maybe Torchwood should be called. Consider the adverts for Torchwood so far.

Man: "Special Access they said."
Woman: "For who?"
Man: "Torchwood!"

For an organisation beyond the United Nations (which doesnt actually make much sense to me), and above the police, an organisation thats SO secretive... they kind of publicise themselves. What happened to the old MiB Division 6 stuff?

Mr Prophet
October 14th, 2006, 06:32 AM
It certainly seems odd, especially given that the first episode seems to involve police woman trying to find out who these Torchwood people are (presumably making her the only person alive who doesn't know). I sort of assume that the bits in the trailer are picked out to put the name forward, but...yeah, I take your point.

Actually, it reminds me a little of the Six Million Dollar Man, whose bionic implants were super-classified and known only to his boss, the surgeons and absolutely everyone he ever met, because he always ended up having to bend steel or jump over a wall right in front of them.

IMForeman
October 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM
But, in Idiots Lantern the police were complaining about "Torchwood breathing down their necks" and in Fear Her, a SPORTS commentator said maybe Torchwood should be called. Consider the adverts for Torchwood so far.

Fear Her is set in 2012. Torchwood could be public knowlege after Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. The series Torchwood could be set prior to those stories, as they are set in mid-to-late 2007.

-IMF

The Signal
October 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM
My sky guide is listing Torchwood for next Sunday night, "Everything Changes" at 9pm, followed by "Day One" at 9.50

I'll be sending Darren a PM tomorrow unless someone already has, to get some episode threads created.

Missster.Freeman
October 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM
So that's two episodes in a row just to get it off and running? Or will it continue in that sequence for all the episodes? That would mean the entire series/season will be over in about six weeks.

I think someone has already requested that Torchwood episode threads and/or a single Torchwood sticky be created in the Ask the Mods thread.

The Signal
October 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
They probably want it over by X-mas, so thats.... 9 weeks of episodes? I'd guess that if theres any two parters, they'll air on the same night.

I hope we get actual episode threads and not a stickey, the stickey would be bloody confusing :S

Missster.Freeman
October 15th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that's probably about right. No doubt it'll be repeated a few times during and after its run. Heh, Torchwood should finish just in time for The Runaway Bride. ;)

I agree about the sticky. A single thread would just be a mess. There has to be separate threads for each episode.

Willow'sCat
October 15th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I think someone has already requested that Torchwood episode threads and/or a single Torchwood sticky be created in the Ask the Mods thread.
That was me, I prefer separate episodes threads but I would settle for a sticky, I just think something is needed if only so those who don't live in the UK don't have to be unnessecarily spoiled. ;) I don't know if Darren will go for separate threads, I don't see why a Torchwood section couldn't be added to the Doctor Who ep threads... wait and see I guess. :cool:

Billz
October 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Usually I hate spin-offs (SG: Atlantis is the only exception of that statement). If RTD wanted to make another british Sci-Fi show aswell as Doctor Who he should've have tried to do a new series of Red Dwarf. I will give Torchwood a try though.

knowles2
October 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Billz;5909555]Usually I hate spin-offs (SG: Atlantis is the only exception of that statement). If RTD wanted to make another british Sci-Fi show aswell as Doctor Who he should've have tried to do a new series of Red Dwarf.

NO, No ,No and guest what No

I hat comedy sci fi , no we need more decent scifi series and I am glad bbc is using the tv licence aka tax to do something descent once, although spooks is a pretty good programme too. Well at lease their will be another show I will watch, unlike itv where I rarly even turn that channel on.

Willow'sCat
October 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
NO, No ,No and guest what No

I hat comedy sci fi Come on! RD is a classic. ;) I don't see why scifi needs to be all heavy and dark to be 'real' scifi. :rolleyes: I also suspect Torchwood will have plenty of humour, although yeah it may be on the darker side.

knowles2
October 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Like scifi with their comedy moments, aka I like stargates, and doctor who both have their comedy moments. I just do not like the whole show to be like it.

Billz
October 17th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Like scifi with their comedy moments, aka I like stargates, and doctor who both have their comedy moments. I just do not like the whole show to be like it.

Im not saying you have to like it. I just think it would have been better then another attempt at a Doctor Who spinoff. They thought K9 And Company was going to be a good spinoff in the 70s and look how that turned out...

The Signal
October 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Well, its official, BBC2, Wednesday, 9pm features both episodes of Torchwood that will air on BBC3 on Sunday

knowles2
October 18th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Well that good to know I will look forward to that. See what it would olook like, unfortant for the timing, now I will have to choose between stargate atlantis or touchwood a hard decision indeed.

Billz
October 19th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know if they would have anything like the Tardisodes but for Torchwoood? Sort of like Torchsodes :cameron:

Mr Prophet
October 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I am increasingly concerned - taking this along with the cyberjubblies - that they may have allowed themselves to be talked into ticking off a few of the 'grown up show, so let's forget integrity' boxes, however.

First instance of the 'F' word is reported to be within five minutes of opening.

Tick.

Mr Prophet
October 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Does anyone know if they would have anything like the Tardisodes but for Torchwoood? Sort of like Torchsodes :cameron:

Torchwood Declassified: added to the site today.

The Signal
October 23rd, 2006, 02:46 AM
The Ghost Machine Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhmJzZCa4SM)

And another trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-HGtKNjqk)for the series with some bits we havent yet

Third ep looks like it could be a good one

The Signal
November 19th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I know I've posted this once in this thread.... strange :S

Major spoilers for Episode 8 "They Keep Killing" Using alien technology to interrogate the victims of a serial killer, Gwen learns that the common link is dangerously close to home. And the resurrection device has a deadly secret of its own.
has been renamed "They keep killing SuzieMaybe it wasn't just for shock value after all?