PDA

View Full Version : Point of Origin

Erik Pasternak
July 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the Atlantis PoO?

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM
I was going to write it down lastnight when I was watching it, but now I forgot. Maybe someone who taped the show can draw it for us?

Re: it is the 7th symbol in DJ's blackboard symbols.

Talking about the blackboard....what were the other 2 list of 6 chevorns? Where do they lead to?

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 05:15 PM
No it isn't.

Those 7 symbols are the address to Atlantis from any Milky way gate. (With the 8th being Earth's PoO)

It'll be a bit hard to grab, But I'm watching all the Atlantis dialing for it....

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Here it is...It's a bit hard to see. It wasn't displayed on the console (PoO button is different) And It was moving so fast on the gate....Plus it's made up of dots.

I caught it as it was spinning around the gate. This is the best I could do.

Icemancmd
July 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM
WELL YOUR BEST ISNT GOOD ENOUGH.

JK. ;) Good work job finding it. It is very hard to see but all the chevons are now because there like dots forming pictures.

Scruff
July 17th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Not "any" Milky Way gate, only Earth. The "At" symbol is Earth's PoO. If another planet in the MW Galaxy wanted to dial Atlantis they would use their own distinctive PoO. The first 7 would be the same though.

Erik Pasternak
July 17th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks Mio. You rock! But am I the only one who thought they would have made it more distinctive and made sure that we all saw it, like they did on SG-1?

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 01:06 AM
I don't like the Atlantis PoO... it's not recognizable like Earth's PoO. I thought the Atlantis PoO should have been the one the looks like a doted Earth PoO. The Stargate Atlantis logo has Earth's PoO as one of the A's.. it doesn't make much sense if it is not the PoO of Atlantis.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I don't like the Atlantis PoO... it's not recognizable like Earth's PoO. I thought the Atlantis PoO should have been the one the looks like a doted Earth PoO. The Stargate Atlantis logo has Earth's PoO as one of the A's.. it doesn't make much sense if it is not the PoO of Atlantis.
It's just the universal symbol for the stargate francise.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Not "any" Milky Way gate, only Earth. The "At" symbol is Earth's PoO. If another planet in the MW Galaxy wanted to dial Atlantis they would use their own distinctive PoO. The first 7 would be the same though.
This always bugged me, if each planet has its own PoO, then there aren't enough symbols on the gate for every planet and it also means theres no definitive gate address for each planet, at least one symbol will always be different?
Please help clarify this.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 10:14 AM
This always bugged me, if each planet has its own PoO, then there aren't enough symbols on the gate for every planet and it also means theres no definitive gate address for each planet, at least one symbol will always be different?
Please help clarify this.
Answered my own question, the red thing pressed last automatically dials the planets PoO. So only the first six symbols really count if you have a DHD.

Avalar
July 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM
I always thought that the Point of Origin was always on the DHD, but it was always in a replaceable spot. One planet's point of origin is not on another planet's DHD, so there's really an infinite amount of space for the PoO.

But the red thing in the center could be it too. *shrugs*

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 10:56 AM
They could just as easily just have skipped the 7th symbol and placed it in the activation button in our galaxy too, but I guess the Ancients didn't think of that. Then again, shouldn't one be able to open a wormhole from ANYWHERE if one could get a ship for a ship with a gate to transmit a signal to the one gate you want to go to where you are, and therefore eliminating the need for a pre-programmed point in space.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Its a weird goof.
Because there are 39 symbols on the gate and 38 on the DHD the 39th is autmatically dialed when the red button is pushed which is also the PoO. That means that each DHD has one symbol out of place and they all aren't the same? I dunno, makes no sense to me.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 10:58 AM
The red button doesn't transmit the PoO in our galaxy. That would eliminate the need for 7 symbols. IF Dr. Jacksons theory is correct, which we all presume I guess.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Yea...
I'm just gonna ignore it, that always works best.

uknesvuinng
July 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM
The red button doesn't transmit the PoO in our galaxy. That would eliminate the need for 7 symbols. IF Dr. Jacksons theory is correct, which we all presume I guess.
That would be why they only tap 6 buttons on the DHD before hitting the bulb.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Too bad they don't only tap 6 then.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Too bad they don't only tap 6 then.RISING SPOILERS
Yeah, they do have a tendency to hit seven, but, if they spent 30 seconds and counted, they'd realize that a DHD only has 38 symbols on it. I think they might have already figured it out though, because in "Rising," when we see the DHD light up when the Wraith dial out, you can tell that only six symbols are illuminated.

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM
yea, the PoO thing has always been messed up. Remember in Solitudes? They clearly show the unique symbol on the DHD and determine it to be the PoO. It's a circle with a line under it. So if that's the PoO for the Beta Gate, then why is it that when we use the Beta gate at the SGC for seasons 4-6, they still show the original Egyption gate symbol? And since that symbol is on the DHD, that means that each DHD should have a unique symbol on it. I think the best solution is this:

Each gate supposedly has different symbols on their gates. The same symbols are on the DHD. In order to dial home, you hit the symbols that are in the same location on each planet's DHD. In other words, the unique symbol or PoO would always be in the same spot on the DHD, that would explain how we're able to dial out so fast without decyphering the new symbols. Thats the only explaination that makes sense to me anyway.

Of course that doesn't explain the only 38 symbols on the DHD, or why they only hit 6 symbols sometimes. So the easiest explaination is: It's just a TV show, deal with it.

DownFallAngel
July 18th, 2004, 03:25 PM
We started using the beta gate at the SGC after the first one was launched into outerspace in Redeption, thats season 6. So it would have to be from season 6+ to be the circle with a line.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 03:58 PM
We started using the beta gate at the SGC after the first one was launched into outerspace in Redeption, thats season 6. So it would have to be from season 6+ to be the circle with a line.You got the gate history confused a little bit. We used the alpha gate (with A PoO) from the movie until the end of season three, when it was beamed on to Thor's shop in "Nemesis." The beta gate (circle w/line underneath) was then used in the SGC. The Russians recovered the Alpha Gate and used that to start up there own stargate program.

In "Redemption," we launched the Beta Gate into space, where it was destroyed. The Alpha Gate was then rented/bought/given to us by the Russians for use in the SGC in exchange for a Russian stargate team. So the Alpha Gate is what is in use right now.

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
You got the gate history confused a little bit. We used the alpha gate (with A PoO) from the movie until the end of season three, when it was beamed on to Thor's shop in "Nemesis." The beta gate (circle w/line underneath) was then used in the SGC. The Russians recovered the Alpha Gate and used that to start up there own stargate program.

In "Redemption," we launched the Beta Gate into space, where it was destroyed. The Alpha Gate was then rented/bought/given to us by the Russians for use in the SGC in exchange for a Russian stargate team. So the Alpha Gate is what is in use right now.

Indeed, thats what I was getting at. And durring the 4-6 seasons where the Beta Gate was used, we still saw the pyramid with the sun above it when the gate was being dialed. A small mistake. Curse you stock footage!

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Indeed, thats what I was getting at. And durring the 4-6 seasons where the Beta Gate was used, we still saw the pyramid with the sun above it when the gate was being dialed. A small mistake. Curse you stock footage!While they did use stock footage, the reason it stayed the same is probably because it was more recognizable then the circle with a line, and because TPTB didn't even think about it, too bad the fans did!

Mio
July 23rd, 2004, 09:06 PM
::ressurects the thread::

Tada!

Yu Huang Shang Ti
July 23rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Hey, as long as there's thread necromancy afoot... is there anything in the supplemental DVD materials that explains why the typical DHD operation (dialing seven symbols and then the red button) defies all reason?

Erik Pasternak
July 23rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
Hey, as long as there's thread necromancy afoot... is there anything in the supplemental DVD materials that explains why the typical DHD operation (dialing seven symbols and then the red button) defies all reason?No, and I don't think there ever will be. And by the way, thanks for resurrecting my thread Mio, once again, I must say that you rock.

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 02:17 AM
I think the activation button (red/blue bulb in the middle of the DHD)... gives more control over the wormhole... type the 7 symbols... then hit the activation button to establish the wormhole then again to shut it down (if needed)... maybe it allows you to check the address be for you establish the wormhole.

July 24th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Spoiler for Hide and Seek

Slightly off-topic:
This is the gate the "darkness" dialed, maybe it's his home planet. Anyways, it confirms with Mio's symbol.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cyc/gate.jpg

Osiris
July 25th, 2004, 04:17 AM
You're wrong. The poO is the 8th triangle on the middle line. It's another production mistake... It's a wrong adress.

However, Mio was right! ;)

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Yeah, the PoO is that little triangle in the middle of the plate! Not anywhere else on the device. Same as the DHD

Osiris
July 25th, 2004, 04:20 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=237

You could see the Poo on this pic, enlarged in a bigger triangle on the upper right.

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Thnks for that pic! Good stuff

Osiris
July 25th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Yeah, the PoO is that little triangle in the middle of the plate! Not anywhere else on the device. Same as the DHD

You're also wrong... The triangle in the middle is the activation button.

The poO is the 8th symbol (from left to right) on the same line.

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 04:27 AM
I've noticed that now with that picture. Thank you for explaining!

Osiris
July 25th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Thanks. :)
Here's a pic of the active gate with the poO under the seven chevron:

http://stargate-sg1.hu/photos/atlantis/103_Hide_and_Seek_-_caps_by_ZoliJ/38.jpg

July 25th, 2004, 07:38 AM
You're wrong. The poO is the 8th triangle on the middle line. It's another production mistake... It's a wrong adress.

However, Mio was right! ;)

I stand corrected, curse those production errors! It makes life difficult for fans that watch the episode frame by frame! :P

VirtualCLD
July 25th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Hide and Seek Spoilers

My next question is, was that an address the dark energy being was trying to dial from memory, or was it simply causing psuedo-random technical glitches? For example, why activate the shield and then deactivate it? Maybe it wasn't a production mistake becasue the energy being thingy wasn't dialing a valid address.

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the pic Osiris. Good point

Osiris
July 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks Anubis! :)

Btw, maybe the darkness was just showing its presence by dialing something??

Mio
July 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks Anubis! :)

Btw, maybe the darkness was just showing its presence by dialing something??
I think the ancient tech was just going haywire around it.

Osiris
July 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I think the ancient tech was just going haywire around it.

Oh you're right! That's certainly what happened; ;)

thefurryfurling
September 6th, 2004, 12:28 AM
what if a manual dial address (7 chevrons) has a repeating glyph, one for a XYZ glyph and the PoO, or would a separate address have to be used