PDA

View Full Version : The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

The Signal
December 25th, 2005, 11:05 AM
WOW that was the best of the new series yet. Loving DT's doctor, eccentric energetic, im gonna love this. Laughed all the way through, "Thats the Lion King" lol! And a nice homage to CE "Fantastic". All in all, the best episode of who yet abd cabt wait till Spring, the teaser was lookin great too! "K9!!" and tge face of Bo in there to

kirmit
December 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I liked him as the doctor I'm surprised to admit, the overall episode was good.

Hywel
December 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM
I loved the references to Torchwood. They're really teasing us now! Harriet Jones was brilliant. The whole episode was well done - not overly cheesy as I'd feared.

Egeria
December 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I loved it, I'm surprised at how much DT has impressed me. The whole episode was just awesome....and the preview for S2/28 has just left me feeling mega-excited and mega-impatient. :D :D

The Signal
December 25th, 2005, 11:36 AM
lol "6 words" lol. I was so surprised at Harriet's choice, we need a new PM now! :P And as for the Torchwood thing, EVIL PEOPLE, stop toyingwith us! :D Cant wait for the new series after that teaser, this is gonna kill me, i mean, it actually looks better than S1 how great is that!

in circles
December 25th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Pure concentrated awesome. Now bring on the cybermen :D

iLemon
December 25th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I loved the episode! DT's impression of the bad guys cracked me up so bad! :D He's a great actor and I cant wait to see more of him.
Harriet Jones' decision suprised me though, that was massacre! Loved the weapon though :)

Darkstar
December 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM
i was really worried this one off episode was going to be crap with killer xmas decorations but the whole thing was really good, i must admit though the seconf half hour was better with the bad guys and their spaceship, the show is really imaginative and the kinda twist at the end was cool, the so called good guys turning slightly dark gave the series a nice twist as its not just black and white we now get shades of grey in there. :D

Darkstar
December 25th, 2005, 12:39 PM
i was really worried this one off episode was going to be crap with killer xmas decorations but the whole thing was really good, i must admit though the seconf half hour was better with the bad guys and their spaceship, the show is really imaginative and the kinda twist at the end was cool, the so called good guys turning slightly dark gave the series a nice twist as its not just black and white we now get shades of grey in there. :D

Metarock Sam
December 25th, 2005, 01:08 PM
^ Yo uh you got a double post !!!!!!!!

That was a fantastic episode and that teaser at the end leaves you craving for more. I wonder if DT will trademark tea like Tom Baker trademarked Jellybabies?
But still it was so great with the Sycorax and the many thnigs. From the looks of 'Tourchwood' I think it is going to be an evil conspiracy and the effects were brill. 111/10 Killer Episode and the best yet plus from the looks of things better is just around the corner....

shockwave
December 25th, 2005, 01:10 PM
This ep was great

Sha're
December 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Awesome episode - DT proved himself. Cant wait for the series and K-9 :p

Matt G
December 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
OK...interesting one.

1. First impression of Tennant-Doctor. Pretty solid work, definately different but still feels like the guy I got to know last year, this guy's the Doctor, I'm happy with him, though it's too early to say how he matches up to Ecclestone-Doctor.

2. What I didn't expect was such a big clash between the Doctor and the Torchwood philosophy. Thing is though, with all due respect to the Doctor, Harriet Jones is right, in a reality and era where there are so many threats to it, Earth can't afford to have to rely on a space-time travelling alien to protect it. It's far better if we can cover our own backside. What I'm prepared to agree with him on is that Jones got a bit paranoid concerning the Sygorax retreat.

3. When does Torchwood start up?

4. Cute line from my nephew when he saw the preview of the Cybermen. "They're from the old ones - yay"

Darkstar
December 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM
^ Yo uh you got a double post !!!!!!!!

That was a fantastic episode and that teaser at the end leaves you craving for more. I wonder if DT will trademark tea like Tom Baker trademarked Jellybabies?
But still it was so great with the Sycorax and the many thnigs. From the looks of 'Tourchwood' I think it is going to be an evil conspiracy and the effects were brill. 111/10 Killer Episode and the best yet plus from the looks of things better is just around the corner....

yep id did get a double post by the looks of things, because the site or forum went down on me and i just came back to see that my post was so good they decided to post it twice aint that cool ha ha :D !!!!!

The Signal
December 25th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Torchwood starts in the Autumn i think

Reefgirl
December 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Bloody brilliant, I wish Tony Blair had balls like Harriet Jones. I thought David Tennant's did really well in his first serious outing. Liked the Torchwood reference and the clips of series 2, can't wait to see what they do with Sarah Jane and K9. BRING ON SERIES 2!!!!!!!!!!!!

sueKay
December 25th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Not a Dr Who fan, but sat and watched this with my dad, and it was fantastic :D :D

Loving DT...absolutely great :D

CatGoddess
December 25th, 2005, 04:48 PM
We on the other side of the pond are screaming in agony... :(

Dallista
December 25th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I'm still busy drooling over the new Doctor; dunno if this post will make much sense, if at all. ;) Will put it all behind a spoiler tag, just in case...

David Tennant was absolutely stunning. Not sure what's up with the glasses, though it made him look like the uber-geek (love it!). Is the new Doctor near or far sighted? He put it on when watching the telly...

Some truly terrific one-liners and quotes in the episode.
"This planet is DEFENDED!"
"Why is there an apple in my dressing gown?"
"Withcraft!"- "Timelord!"

The whole scene with the hand was a bit freaky, very very much inspired by TESB. As a die-hard long-time Luke Skywalker fan, it was also really cool to see the Doctor likened to Luke, hehe.

The new Doctor really is a lot darker, unforgiving, and gives no second chances. I suppose it could be a reaction to the Timewar. First all the guilt, and the next step is a certain menace to him, not being as accepting anymore.

*LOVED* the part where he boasts about being able to topple Harriet Jones' career with just six words.

Cringed at the Lion king joke. Ugh. I love the Lion King, but that quote just didn't work for me at all.

We got to see the TARDIS wardrobe room! And doesn't it look stunning?

Major Clanger
December 26th, 2005, 01:38 AM
OMG! wasn't that FAB!!
Nice little reference to Torchwood there, and oh my "very Arthur Dent" had me rofl.

Me and the Gruesomes were waiting for Captain Jack just in case... pity he wasn't in it, it would have been fun.

I LOVED the Tree shaped hole in the wall, and wasn't Harriet Jones great?

I guess it's not spoilery to say that I loved the way the Doctor went extremely serious with the Prime Minister at the end, but it's a pity he didn't call Mickey "ricky" or something.

Rose was fab but almost the best thing was the preview for the new season: Sara Jane!! (the Gruesome's ballet teacher went to school with her) and K-9 ... and I nearly jumped behind the sofa when that Cyberman showed up! Yikes!

But, oh my! wasn't that just brilliant?

Madeleine
December 26th, 2005, 03:49 AM
That was great fun. The Christmas tree was surprisingly scary, if very cheesy :p, and the Sycorax were impressive. 'Sycorax Rock' - indeed! I was quite surprised at how our cuddly sweet Harriet turned warlord at the end.

Rose's mum cracks me up, the way she can discuss trivia like fruit and veg or big things like the world being invaded with exactly the same tone of voice. DT is worth his fee - I like him better right now than I liked CE after his first ep, and I liked CE lots.

Roll on spring, cos I'm really stoked for all the things the teaser showed. Only please let there be some episodes not set within the confines of our solar system....

iLemon
December 26th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Me and the Gruesomes were waiting for Captain Jack just in case... pity he wasn't in it, it would have been fun.

Capt Jack is waaay in the future remember? He was stuck on Satalite 5 and I doubt he can time travel anywhere without the Doctor.

Reefgirl
December 26th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Capt Jack is waaay in the future remember? He was stuck on Satalite 5 and I doubt he can time travel anywhere without the Doctor.

It'll be interesting to see how he joins Torchwood then, maybe it was his ship that crashed 10 years ago

The Signal
December 26th, 2005, 06:16 AM
^ thats my guess, he's a smart guy, and will most likely be able to cobble together a half decent time ship

The Signal
December 26th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Actually, having read the page on wikipedia about Torchwood, it seems that John B himself has said that it wont be explained how he got back to the 21st century

Metarock Sam
December 26th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Perhaps he fell through a timewarp ?

Flyboy
December 26th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Amazing episode, just amazing.

The new doctor kicks more ass than I could have ever imagined, AND AND AND he had a sword! :D

But my favourite part of this episode? UNIT! Yes people, UNIT are back and in full force!

Though Harriett Jones seems to have really been affected by being PM, rather sad really.

Missster.Freeman
December 26th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Brilliant. Sorry, can't think of anything else to write. I'm a man of many words :S

CatGoddess
December 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I've finally had a chance to see it. Loved it...

It's easy to tell this is a British show... (spoiler tags just to be safe) There is no problem that cannot be solved by the suitable application of tea. :p

Missster.Freeman
December 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Cringed at the Lion king joke. Ugh. I love the Lion King, but that quote just didn't work for me at all.

What bit was that? :confused: My damn head always empties after I've watched something :S

Egeria
December 26th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Just a friendly reminder on spoilers for non-Stargate shows. They are basically the same for Stargate use spoiler tags, it doesnt matter if the UK has seen them other countries haven't but in all likely hood will soon. ;)

GateWorld spoiler policy for non-Stargate shows (thread)

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=17930&page=3

Are you guys down south scheduled to see this ep anytime soon?

Admiral Mappalazarou
December 26th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I love the bit where the alien starts to speak british and the camera swoops past the crowd of humans and the doors to the TARDIS open to reveal;
'Did you miss me?'

Tennant rocks!

Buzz Lightyear
December 26th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I gotta say, I agree with Harriet Jones' decision to use Torchwood, as distasteful as it might seem. Here you just had alien invaders threaten to kill 2 billion of the Earth's people (or sell 3 billion into slavery) and they DID murder two of her staff right in front of her. The Doctor himself has seen first hand that their leader's own promise sworn on the blood of their species isn't worth diddly squat. And I'm sorry but the Doctor winning a duel involving swords is hardly a significant deterrent to other potential alien invaders.

I do understand the Doctor's wish for peaceful solutions because it's his nature, despite what happened to him and his race. He also has a soft spot for humans in general and no doubt wishes a kinder gentler future for Earth, even though he knows what lies ahead for its people. I guess I'll attribute his emotional tirade at Harriet Jones to him still feeling the after effects of regeneration.

Good episode though. I really like David Tennant. Also hope to see Jackie in future eps, though poor Mickey often seems like a third wheel pining after Rose.

Dallista
December 26th, 2005, 11:21 PM
What bit was that? :confused: My damn head always empties after I've watched something :S
Not sure if I have all the words correct, but it's something like "From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun. There's more to be seen than can ever be seen, more to do..."
Ugh, I hate it. Looks like the rest of the fandom loved it, though. I guess I just don't like cheesy Disney references. ;)

Major Clanger
December 26th, 2005, 11:52 PM
yes, but the cheesey Disney reference was very tongue in cheek, I felt. And was more than made up for by the nod to Douglas Adams, who - let's not forget - used to write for Dr. Who in the "old days when I were a lass"

Not so sure I agree with growing another hand, but at least that gave us a timeframe to work with, regarding the regeneration

As for Captain Jack - well, I wasn't really expecting him, but it would have been nice. And I'm another who believes that he was in the crashed ship 10 years ago. Whenever he does turn up, though, I hope he's still in Serious Leather.

Reefgirl
December 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM
As for Captain Jack - well, I wasn't really expecting him, but it would have been nice. And I'm another who believes that he was in the crashed ship 10 years ago. Whenever he does turn up, though, I hope he's still in Serious Leather.
Oh me too *Drool*

Mr Prophet
December 27th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Speaking as a high-level Dr Who pedant, I loved it! There was almost nothing about it that I didn't love, from the killer tree to death by satsuma.

Spoiler-y bits

As to the issue of Harriet Jones' decision, I'm with the Doctor, 100%. Yes, have a defence; yes, use your defence; no, don't shoot a retreating foe in the back because you're pissed that you couldn't save your friends.

What it came down to wasn't whether the Sycorax would come back, or whether they were going to spread a warning or an invitation to the rest of the galaxy, but that the Sycorax leader killed two people in front of Harriet Jones and she wanted them to feel that helpless. Having the defence was a good call and if it had been up and running in time she would have been justified in using it against the Sycorax, but gunning down a defeated foe as they retreated was murder and the Harriet Jones who told the President he wasn't turning this into a war would not have done it. The fact that Harriet opted to threaten the Doctor instead of standing on the merits of her choice shows that she knew it as well.

That's my feeling, anyway, and I think it can only be a good sign that a science fiction show is generating such a difference of opinion.

And I thought Mickey was great, and it was good to see how naturally Rose turned to him, not for protection, but for comfort. We watched Rose when they repeated it on BBC4 and it was interesting to see how Mickey and Jackie have grown through the series. It's easy to see with Rose herself, but the recurring characters also change.

Willow'sCat
December 27th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Are you guys down south scheduled to see this ep anytime soon?Well I have just seen it *cough* and WOW loved it, David is brilliant. Um Australia's ABC has said nothing about screening the new series at all, I assume they will but I have sent an email to their programming department asking if they are going to show this episode anytime soon but they are bad with giving info too far ahead of their programming schedules. Shame as I know that Canada has screened the episode.

At least I have a cousin in the UK. :D

This was brilliant and makes me wish that SGA could get writers as good as Russell *oops did I say that?* and love the whole reference to Arthur Dent, Douglas Adams work on Dr Who is not forgotten. ;)

The PM and the end? PM - 0 Doctor Who - 100.
I didn't even mind Mickey in this episode and I have really begun to love Rose's Mum she is so matter-a-fact about everything and the Tea! Haha, yes we need Tea.

This episode was great and now I can't wait for the rest of the series, why oh why do we only get 13 episodes? :S I could easily watch 25 if this quality keeps up. Anyone know how much it cost to make it looked so good. :)

Reefgirl
December 27th, 2005, 04:10 AM
What I'd love to see is the Tardis land in Atlantis and have the Doctor storm out of the doors screaming "What the *Bleep* are you doing here, humanity shouldn't have got this far yet"

I smell FanFic coming on

Major Clanger
December 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
What I'd love to see is the Tardis land in Atlantis and have the Doctor storm out of the doors screaming "What the *Bleep* are you doing here, humanity shouldn't have got this far yet"

I smell FanFic coming on

oh wouldn't it be fab? RTD really should be writing for other shows... but then he wouldn't have time for Dr. Who so on reflection, we'll keep him busy with that.

Anyone know some good SG-1/Dr.Who or SGA/Dr.Who crossover fics?

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM
It was pretty good. I can't wait for the episode featuring Buffy's Tony Head. I personally love the teleportation sequence, the effects were awesome (I want Animated Gifs of the the 3 sequences (I captured them, but they look like crap, it pause for like 20 frames and them starts moving again)).

Reefgirl
December 27th, 2005, 01:38 PM
oh wouldn't it be fab? RTD really should be writing for other shows... but then he wouldn't have time for Dr. Who so on reflection, we'll keep him busy with that.

I have some free time on my hands at work this week I'm sure I could be persueded, it'll be Doctor number 10 so my imagination can run riot seeing as we don't really know what he's like yet

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 27th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I have one, but it's actually a daydream (SG-1/DW crossover). SG-1 finds the Doctor and Rose on another planet (in the SG-1 universe).

Reefgirl
December 27th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I have an idea of the Doctor and Rose landing on Atlantis' planet (Does it have a name?), having been there before he knows the city wasn't there previously and lands the Tardis in the city to investigate, coming face to face with Weir and her team

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I have an idea of the Doctor and Rose landing on Atlantis' planet (Does it have a name?), having been there before he knows the city wasn't there previously and lands the Tardis in the city to investigate, coming face to face with Weir and her team
and Rose drools over Sheppard (like most women who have been on Atlantis).
*does the creeped out face, since Abydos is a guy*

Missster.Freeman
December 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Not sure if I have all the words correct, but it's something like "From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun. There's more to be seen than can ever be seen, more to do..."
Ugh, I hate it. Looks like the rest of the fandom loved it, though. I guess I just don't like cheesy Disney references. ;)

Ah, thanks. I'll have to watch it again to catch bits that I missed. My head is a teabag, all the goodness just filters out :S I should really sit with a notepad while I'm watching sci-fi :P

Willow'sCat
December 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Ah, thanks. I'll have to watch it again to catch bits that I missed. My head is a teabag, all the goodness just filters out I should really sit with a notepad while I'm watching sci-fi :PYou are not the only one I always miss stuff and usually important stuff. :rolleyes: Gives me an excuse to watch again and this episode is a watch again one.;)

Missster.Freeman
December 27th, 2005, 04:08 PM
this episode is a watch again one.;)

I agree with that... Great start for the new doctor :)

Egeria
December 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM
and Rose drools over Sheppard (like most women who have been on Atlantis).
*does the creeped out face, since Abydos is a guy*

Aargh *runs away screaming with hands over ears*

Sorry Rose and Sheppard...eek:)

Easter Lily
December 27th, 2005, 10:56 PM
David Tennant was wonderful... I thought Chris Eccelstone was going to be a hard act to follow but DT brought a wonderfully multidimensional quality to the Doctor. I really enjoyed the energy and enthusiasm he brought to this incarnation but also the fact that there's an edge to that jocular facade.

Very amused that the panacea to the Doctor's ills was a cup of tea... Just a lovely reminder that this is still a British show.

Pertaining to Harriet Jones' decision... I'm with the Doctor... but I understand why she did what she did... and I think it is important that the show contain that bit of edginess. Interesting parallel with the Silurians methinks...

Reefgirl
December 28th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Aargh *runs away screaming with hands over ears*

Sorry Rose and Sheppard...eek:)

Don't worry Egeria there will be no Rose/Sheppard, she might give him a quick look over but that's all, her heart belongs to the Doctor and a bit to Mickey

Major Clanger
December 28th, 2005, 03:03 AM
I have one, but it's actually a daydream (SG-1/DW crossover). SG-1 finds the Doctor and Rose on another planet (in the SG-1 universe).

sounds good to me - is there a link already?

I have some free time on my hands at work this week I'm sure I could be persueded, it'll be Doctor number 10 so my imagination can run riot seeing as we don't really know what he's like yet

OK, I'm up for that too. Get writing!!

I like my sci-fi to have no correct answers. I think that what Harriet Jones did, she did for the best reasons and I can empathise totally. But I also understand the Doctor's reaction. No black & white in real life, always shades of grey.

Mr Prophet
December 28th, 2005, 04:00 AM
I like my sci-fi to have no correct answers. I think that what Harriet Jones did, she did for the best reasons and I can empathise totally. But I also understand the Doctor's reaction. No black & white in real life, always shades of grey.

I guess we differ on that one, since I think she did it for the worst reasons. Whether it should have been done or needed to be done, I think she did it because they kicked her around and then Torchwood gave her a way to kick back.

yaaayoubetcha
December 28th, 2005, 04:34 AM
yet another disappointed non-viewer in the US.

sounds like it was good.

somewhere....over the rainbow...dr who lives...

Indum'kra
December 28th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Not bad, though I thought the aliens were a bit corny, even more so than the goa'uld of dear Stargate.

Loved the Arthur Dent referance, considering Douglas adams once did soem writing for the show.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 28th, 2005, 11:24 AM
sounds good to me - is there a link already?
there is no link, as i said in that post, it was a daydream.

Easter Lily
December 28th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Not bad, though I thought the aliens were a bit corny, even more so than the goa'uld of dear Stargate.
Since when are the aliens on Dr Who NOT corny... :p
I thought they were just keeping with tradition... ;)

The Signal
December 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM
lol Doctor Who is all about being corny, thats why the more serious 7t Doctor was less liked among long time who fans, and why the new series is liked so much, 'cus they went back to the old way of doing things

Blitz
December 28th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Will any of the new eps star on other planets like some of the originals? or are they all Earth based again? I know off topic.

Anyway - Tennants Dr was actually really different but the same, I dunno - I like him, plus ohh, big space gun :D

creed462
December 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Sounds great, does anyone know when the US release will be?

The Signal
December 28th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Will they release this as part of Season 2 (in the S2 box set) or as a single disk? I wouldnt mind it as a single disk 'cus the sets are like £60 and i dont wanna pay that much for one set.

Woo Hoo, 800 posts!!!!!

Egeria
December 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I think they'll release it as a standalone....after all it is an hour long and with extras would be enough to charge an average price.....hope so anyway.:)

Willow'sCat
December 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
lol Doctor Who is all about being corny, thats why the more serious 7t Doctor was less liked among long time who fans, and why the new series is liked so much, 'cus they went back to the old way of doing thingsWhat do you mean "less liked" Sylvester McCoy's Dr was liked by many, well me. :p You sure that it isn't the 6th Doctor you mean? He was very serious and moody and lead to the cancelling of the Series. ;)

Missster.Freeman
December 28th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Aha, I've just got the Arthur Dent reference. D'OH! stupid me :S My lights are on, but no ones at home atm :P

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Sounds great, does anyone know when the US release will be?
No clue, but we'll be getting the Season 1 DVD in feburary, maybe it will have it, although I doubt it.

Flyboy
December 29th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Item 1) I've sent an email to the BBC regarding the release of the Christmas Invasion on DVD, so hopefully soon we should have an idea of whether or not it will be apart of the S2 boxset or stand-alone. Though seeing as though all of Series 1 was released individually as well as in boxset we can assumethe same can be said of Xmas Invasion. (Note, for those who dont know, Series 1 of Dr Who will be released on February 14th in the US)

Item 2) As for it being released in the US, it wont be broadcast, but it may be released on DVD a few months after it has been released in the UK.

Item 3) Harriett Jones' desicion... well, I completely disagree with it. For several reasons. Reason 1, they were shooting a fleeing enemy, that shows a total lack of honour. But reason 2, if that news ever extends outwards, the rest of the universe will view Earth as being a species without honour, a cunning and merciless species... Hardly what we should be viewed as. We could always have used the "big honking space gun" on the next alien race attack, not one that we've beaten and are fleeing, besides they may have actually told other aggressive species that we ARE defended...

Item 4) As for Torchwood... I'm not sure I like them at all... cold, merciless *bleeps*, though I'm convinced the series itself will be excellent!

Item 5) And as a last note, can you believe the President's demand to take control!? Bloody US Government! Still, at least Jones told him exactly where to go! The British can handle anything the US can! Doctor or no Doctor. We use big honking space guns... they use a virus. ;) (independence day)

dosed150
December 29th, 2005, 07:38 AM
that bit with the american president im sure thayts exactly what would happen if it was real life did anyone else notice that the aliens looked a bit like the yuuzhan vong?

Metarock Sam
December 29th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Will they release this as part of Season 2 (in the S2 box set) or as a single disk? I wouldnt mind it as a single disk 'cus the sets are like £60 and i dont wanna pay that much for one set.

Woo Hoo, 800 posts!!!!!
Knowing the bbc it will be released singularly first but it is officially the first episode of series 2 .(I checked on the special confidential they had in the series 1 boxset and all the autocues used in the production had Doctor Who II on them).

gopher65
January 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
I completely agreed with the Prime Minister for these reasons:

1) The alien captain had just finished saying that he was willing to send an entire armada after earth. Umm.... yeah. That's a good reason to destroy them IMO.

2) The Doctor says (paraphrased) "It really isn't worth it to send an armada after earth" and the alien guy doesn't say anything. The Doctor then defeats the alien captain in Hand to Hand combat, and tells him to run away with his tail between his legs. The captain agrees, and swears a holy oath. And *as soon* as the Doctor turn around he violates his promise. Doctor kills alien. The other aliens then see that The Doctor is serious in his threat and run away.

3) Now the aliens are running away, but they have *just finished proving* that they are lying, cheating, scumbags who will stop at nothing to prove their own machoistic ways are superior. 5 minutes eariler they claimed to have a huge fleet. Hmmmmmm... huge fleet commanded by lying honourless people whom you just embarrassed the heck out of.... sounds to me like they will be back with a vengence.

Therefore, the *only* logical course of action is to prevent them by any means avaliable from reporting back to their home base and bringing the rest of their fleet back.

I for one thought The Doctor's reasoning was flawed and childish. It smacked of the old scifi tradition of a bad guy saying "You may have won this round, but I will hunt you down and kill you if it is the last thing I ever do!" and the good guy replying "get out of here before I change my mind about finishing you off". And of course 1 season (series) later that same bad guy comes back and tries to kill off the hero. Whatever. I hate it when the hero does that. It's just DUMB. Dumb hero= show that I turn off. That's why I liked firefly;).

EDIT: Other than that I liked the episode. Parts of it were a little tedious and boring (the first half hour especially), but The Doctor made up for that in his brief appearence toward the end:). I was rather more impressed with David than I thought I would be.

Willow'sCat
January 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
I for one thought The Doctor's reasoning was flawed and childish. Well I see nothing "childish" in wanting his word (which is what it was) to be respected.

And of course 1 season (series) later that same bad guy comes back and tries to kill off the hero. Whatever. I hate it when the hero does that. It's just DUMB. Dumb hero= show that I turn off. That's why I liked firefly;).In Firefly you have Mal, a war weary, down trodden "Hero" he is one person who I would not like to have leading me or my Country because he has lost some of his humanity, we see glimpses of it but it has become more a burden to him, oddly The Doctor has it in spades still, despite of all he knows about humans.

gopher65
January 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Here's my question to you:

You just killed the captain of a powerful alien spacecraft and dishonoured his crew. They swear revenge against you. Do you:

A) Let them run away and later return to kill you with an unstopable fleet, or
B) Kill them

The Doctor chose A for some inexplicable reason. I would never risk 6 billion lives (well, closer to 7 now) on the offchance that a bunch of criminals would keep their word. It just seems odd to me that the Doctor couldn't seem to understand that they might come back. Very.... irrational.

Ascended Times.2
January 4th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Will any of the new eps star on other planets like some of the originals? or are they all Earth based again? I know off topic.

No, they assured us fans there would be ALOT more outer-space episodes this time, maybe one or two more earth based episodes (They gotta get milk!)
But generally more Universealy involved. :cameron:

Mr Prophet
January 4th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Here's my question to you:

You just killed the captain of a powerful alien spacecraft and dishonoured his crew. They swear revenge against you. Do you:

A) Let them run away and later return to kill you with an unstopable fleet, or
B) Kill them

The Doctor chose A for some inexplicable reason. I would never risk 6 billion lives (well, closer to 7 now) on the offchance that a bunch of criminals would keep their word. It just seems odd to me that the Doctor couldn't seem to understand that they might come back. Very.... irrational.

So my question is this: What programme were you watching? Sure, in that situation the choice would not have made sense, but that wasn't what happened.

The Sycorax did not swear vengeance and the crew were not dishonoured; the only dishonoured guy was the captain, who broke his word of bond and suffered for it. If the rest of the Sycorax had wanted vengeance, they had a ship in orbit that no force on Earth - that they knew of - could stop and the Doctor and his friends on that ship, right in front of them; they had nothing to gain by letting them go and need not have done so had they any intention of going back on the outcome of the challenge en masse.

Also, the Sycorax were not criminals. Unlike the family Slitheen they were clearly a warrior race with a proud - if pretty brutal - culture. From his reference to the sanctified rules of combat it seems likely that the Doctor knew, if not them, then at least the basic legal codes from which they derive their cultural strictures.

The Sycorax clearly lived on that asteroid-ship as well. There was no fleet for them to gather; they were it.

And the beat-all reason that he let them go was that he knew that Earth was getting noticed and that sooner or later, someone else would come along. Better to have the Sycorax telling people that the planet was defended by an invincible sorcerer with a fightin' hand and a satsuma than to just wait for the next guy to show up when he wasn't there.

Flyboy
January 4th, 2006, 08:59 AM
So my question is this: What programme were you watching? Sure, in that situation the choice would not have made sense, but that wasn't what happened.

The Sycorax did not swear vengeance and the crew were not dishonoured; the only dishonoured guy was the captain, who broke his word of bond and suffered for it. If the rest of the Sycorax had wanted vengeance, they had a ship in orbit that no force on Earth - that they knew of - could stop and the Doctor and his friends on that ship, right in front of them; they had nothing to gain by letting them go and need not have done so had they any intention of going back on the outcome of the challenge en masse.

Also, the Sycorax were not criminals. Unlike the family Slitheen they were clearly a warrior race with a proud - if pretty brutal - culture. From his reference to the sanctified rules of combat it seems likely that the Doctor knew, if not them, then at least the basic legal codes from which they derive their cultural strictures.

The Sycorax clearly lived on that asteroid-ship as well. There was no fleet for them to gather; they were it.

And the beat-all reason that he let them go was that he knew that Earth was getting noticed and that sooner or later, someone else would come along. Better to have the Sycorax telling people that the planet was defended by an invincible sorcerer with a fightin' hand and a satsuma than to just wait for the next guy to show up when he wasn't there.
Thankyou! Brilliant reasoning there, especially the last bit about spreading the word...

But for my note. It's all a matter of honour. If you don't have honour, what do you have?

Mr Prophet
January 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Thankyou! Brilliant reasoning there, especially the last bit about spreading the word...

But for my note. It's all a matter of honour. If you don't have honour, what do you have?

Oh, absolutely that's a part of why he was so angry with Harriet; that and the fact that he has always hated the needless taking of life.

The Signal
January 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I can imagine the Sycorax warning "his name was the Doctor, he wielded a weapon of great power, it was called 'Satsuma'"

Metarock Sam
January 6th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Not a a man a wizard in pyjamas !!!!

BritAngie
January 6th, 2006, 08:04 AM
What do you mean "less liked" Sylvester McCoy's Dr was liked by many, well me. :p You sure that it isn't the 6th Doctor you mean? He was very serious and moody and lead to the cancelling of the Series. ;)

What she said!

Another Sylvester Mc Coy fan here. :)

BritAngie
January 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Just wanted to add to the "my wasn't that rather fantastic?" vote. :D

Really enjoyed it and was glad to see David Tennant just slip into it so well. Really looking forward to the next series!

Reefgirl
January 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Angie, how's Pompey this evening, bloody cold in Gosport

Metarock Sam
January 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hey Reefgirl , IM in Pompey and its freezing too.

Reefgirl
January 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Wow we're getting quite a little colony on the South Coast here, We're off out for Pizza tomorrow, we'll probably end up in Pizza Hut in the estate where the PC World is near Southampton, I've been tricked like that before, by Bf said he'd go to that one then half way through the meal he'd say "Seeing as we're here we might as we'll go to PC World" Knowing full well it's where he wanted to go in the first place

Metarock Sam
January 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM
wow. well i got to babysit which is a major pain.
Wow 900th post yay

Reefgirl
January 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Went to Hedge End for lunch in the end, still bloody freezing, I hope the brat was ok for you

Metarock Sam
January 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I had to look after two and they were a nightmare. What worse is since their my brother and sister i dont get payed. Anyway we need to be carefull otherwise people may think we are spamming.

Reefgirl
January 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Spamming???? Spamming is posting the same thing over and over again in different threads, this is Topic Drift

Major Clanger
January 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Long live topic drift!!

er, what was the topic, anyway?

Flyboy
January 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I think it was something to do with a medical journal about the healing effects of tea... i dunno...

Metarock Sam
January 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM
And the truth that the most deadly weapon in the known universe is a Satsuma !!!

Reefgirl
January 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
See MC and I know what's good for a thread don't we ;)

The Signal
January 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
lol, by the way, a second christmas special has been commisioned. all fear the all powerful satsuma !

BritAngie
January 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Angie, how's Pompey this evening, bloody cold in Gosport

Frelling cold!!! Have taken to wearing socks in bed! Not very glamerous but my toes are greatful!! And that's with double glazing and central heating! Brrrr

BritAngie
January 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Hey Reefgirl , IM in Pompey and its freezing too.

Yey another Pompey person! :D

BritAngie
January 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
lol, by the way, a second christmas special has been commisioned. all fear the all powerful satsuma !

Fantastic!!

BTW did anyone see John Barrowman on Richard ad Judy tonight? He was talking a little about Torchwood. Sweetish he said was when they offered him the spin off and as much as he was honoured he as "but does that mean I'm not in Doctor Who anymore?" and was relieved when they said he was still in that too. I love his priorities! :D

Metarock Sam
January 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Fantastic!!

BTW did anyone see John Barrowman on Richard ad Judy tonight? He was talking a little about Torchwood. Sweetish he said was when they offered him the spin off and as much as he was honoured he as "but does that mean I'm not in Doctor Who anymore?" and was relieved when they said he was still in that too. I love his priorities! :D
Yay more Captain Jack a 51st Century Guy with the best priorities in the universe.

The Signal
January 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM
What? Ok I have one problem wth that, I missed a talk with a memeber of Doctor Who's cast? I will never forgive myself :D
And yay for that, number one, yay for him wanting to do Doctor Who, and yay for them telling him he is! Does this mean he will do one series of Torchwood only then? I cant see any actor managing Doctor Who and another show at the same time, not after hearing about the demanding schedule of the show:S Oh well, he has great on screen chemistry with Billie, and did with Chris, just hope he does with David as well

Metarock Sam
January 9th, 2006, 12:12 PM
erhaps he wil be an irregular guest in the series or come on crossover specials between both Doctor Who and Torchwood.

The Signal
January 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
lol he was always irregular! Oh, you mean not always in the series? :D I doubt they will cross over as Torchwood is more adult than Doctor Who and the character may not be able to fit into both shows without altering his personality in each crossover

Metarock Sam
January 9th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Yes but it is still the sam character though.

nalex1013
January 15th, 2006, 08:30 AM
What a fab episode! Never seen the original series but something kept drawing me to the new series and I love it to bits. thought I'd not like DT but he proved himself and Rose was fab as ever

Metarock Sam
January 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Hi there and welcome to the forum !!! :D
Heres a suggestion perhaps you could get around to watching the classic series while you wait for series 2 I highly recommend it.

YAY WOOOOOOOOT 1000th post. This rocks !!!!

Reefgirl
January 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the only sensible forum in GW http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7694/fevilgrin8if.gif and congrats on your 1000th Posting Sam. I agree watch some classic episodes

Willow'sCat
January 16th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the only sensible forum in GW.Are willing to back that statement up with some facts? :p

YAY WOOOOOOOOT 1000th post. This rocks !!!!Congrats. :D

iLemon
January 16th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Welcome to the only sensible forum in GW http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7694/fevilgrin8if.gif and congrats on your 1000th Posting Sam. I agree watch some classic episodes
*points to Dalek thunk thread* :P

ShadowMaat
January 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
Okay, now that I've FINALLY gotten around to seeing the Christmas Invasion, can I say how absolutely BRILLIANT it was? :) 'Cause trust me, it was!

Tennant is a fabulous addition to the cast. I'd been a bit skeptical (as someone said, Eccleston is a tough act to follow), but that was all put to rest as soon as the Doc came staggering out of the TARDIS to say "Merry Christmas" to Mickey and Mum and then promptly keeling over. ;)

The new Doctor takes his "no second chances" thing very seriously, doesn't he? Six words and the new PM is on her way out.

As for whether or not it was the right decision, I tend to side with the Doctor. The Enemy was defeated in fair combat, offered no resistance and was leaving peacefully when they were more or less shot in the back. And let's keep in mind that according to the Doctor, the whole blood control thing wouldn't have gone much further than it did because the survival instinct is too strong. I interpret that to mean that all those people on the rooftops would NOT have jumped. Bit of an elaborate bluff? Either way, while I can understand the need to show a bit of force, I'd have been more inclined to fire a warning shot than to blow up the ship. I think Earth is in a far more dangerous position because of that decision. It might show that we're "strong", but it also shows that we are without honor. And despite Harriet Jones blowing off the US President with the comment about not wanting to start a war, I think that is precisely what she's done. It'll be interesting to see what happens as a result.

Meanwhile, the killer brass band and the Whirling Christmas Tree of Doom were both very cool, but... exactly where do they fit in to anything? Just a sleight of hand trick or will they come into play at some other point in time? I know the Doctor said they accompany sharks, but I didn't see a lot of connection between the "fish" and the Sycorax. Especially since the fish (whatever they were) were more interested in the Doctor than in the whole planet whereas the Sycorax were decidedly more interested in the planet. Ah well. A few niggly inconsistencies (or threads to be picked up later), but still loved the ep.

Liked the Torchwood references and I'm more curious than ever to see what it's all about. Agree on the likelihood that Capt. Jack was on the ship that crashed ten years ago, but assuming the series it to be set in "current" times, that'd make Jack ten years older, wouldn't it? Or is he ageless? Should probably find a Torchwood thread for that. ;)

I missed the Arthur Dent bit, when was that? I DID catch the Lion King thing and it made me laugh. Probably because it took me a minute to place it. lol. Plus, I do that kind of thing all the time- start to quote something and then say, "Oops, wrong movie." :D

Can't wait for series 2!

Metarock Sam
January 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
perhaps in the future jack get a time ship of some sort and then uses it to piolet back to earth to meet back with the Doctor but due to a malfunction crashes ten years too early. Then again it could all be to do with magnets. Hopefully all will be revealed soon enough.

Willow'sCat
January 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
*points to Dalek thunk thread* :PYou just wait I am starting a Cybermen Thunk as soon as the ep airs. :D

The new Doctor takes his "no second chances" thing very seriously, doesn't he? Six words and the new PM is on her way out.At first I thought that was a little OTT, "6 words" but then taking into account politics and rumour it just rang true. She is booted out before the new year Champagne bottles are even popped. :D

Liked the Torchwood references and I'm more curious than ever to see what it's all about. Agree on the likelihood that Capt. Jack was on the ship that crashed ten years ago, but assuming the series it to be set in "current" times, that'd make Jack ten years older, wouldn't it? Or is he ageless? Should probably find a Torchwood thread for that. ;)
I know the Capt Jack ten years older is a puzzler if this is the Ship he was in but I will wait and see what RTD comes up with, maybe he won't even reference the 10 year thing again, happens a lot in SciFi, 'what 10 years?'

I missed the Arthur Dent bit, when was that? I DID catch the Lion King thing and it made me laugh. Probably because it took me a minute to place it. lol. Plus, I do that kind of thing all the time- start to quote something and then say, "Oops, wrong movie." :D
The Doctor wearing a dressing gown, says 'how very Arthur Dent' in the scene after the fight.;)

Egeria
January 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM
You just wait I am starting a Cybermen Thunk as soon as the ep airs. :D

Oooh please do, I'll be there. :)

Major Clanger
January 22nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
Oooh please do, I'll be there. :)
& I'll almost be there - from behind the sofa

Reefgirl
January 22nd, 2006, 02:24 AM
I like your viking, if you're interested I've got an interesting video to accompany the Immigrant Song from Led Zepplin and yes it's family friendly

Major Clanger
January 22nd, 2006, 02:28 AM
sounds interesting - yep, deffo interested
:)

(btw, the viking is actually Noggin the Nog - the first human to encounter a clanger)

Mr Prophet
January 22nd, 2006, 02:32 AM
I like your viking, if you're interested I've got an interesting video to accompany the Immigrant Song from Led Zepplin and yes it's family friendly

Would that be the one with the kittens?

Reefgirl
January 22nd, 2006, 02:37 AM
Oh yes, it made me laugh anyway

Metarock Sam
January 22nd, 2006, 04:22 AM
Yay Led Zepplin. They ROCK !!!!!

Reefgirl
January 22nd, 2006, 04:40 AM
I had a feeling it was Noggin the Nog, am sending the file to you now MC

Major Clanger
January 22nd, 2006, 06:17 AM
righty ho
I'll check my emails

Mr.MC adores Led Zep, should I hide it from him?

Reefgirl
January 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
No he can watch it, he might not think it as funny as I did

Major Clanger
January 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
*wah* I can't open it... gimme time, I'll get it cracked.

Reefgirl
January 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
I'll try again

Willow'sCat
January 24th, 2006, 02:54 AM
We have episode threads!!! :cameron:

Here is the TCI: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23059

Skydiver
January 24th, 2006, 04:14 AM
hey guys

we have a little problem here. we have a lovely discussion thread and i'd love to merge this into that, but given that this thread is older, it'll wipe out darren's pretty main post so...until we can come up with something else i'm gonna close this thread and ask folks to take the discussion over to the offiial thread.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23059

I'll talk to darren and see if there is a way to merge them without messing things up

sorry about the inconvenience folks