This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi's "Buried Secret"

The fact that "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan" on SciFi is a hoax isn't exactly news since it's been all over the web for the past few weeks, but now SciFi has admitted it. Bonnie Hammer says it was a guerilla marketing campaign that went too far...kind of like Blair Witch Project.

Personally, I haven't much use for SciFi outside of Stargate and reruns of old series like Twilight Zone. I often think that it's no wonder that Stargate is their cash cow given that most of the rest of what they show is crap (Scare Tactics, Tripping the Rift, Crossing Over, etc.). My opinion, of course. However, I think it really hurts their credibility as a network (not to mention Shyamalan's, but I don't care about that). How stupid! Besides, ads for the "Buried Secret" show were literally all over the screen during New Order and Rising!!
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Not only that, but it was painfully obvious all along that Night had to be in on it. It was the Blair Witch promotions all over again, and just as transparent. They could've done without the screen-consuming corner ads too.

Comment

Athro, just wait until the fall. BSG, Farscape...SG-1 and SGA....good stuff.

So this buried secret is really legal?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Ack, I'm not watching it. I figured it was all some dumb promotion as soon as I noticed that they were showing previews for M. Night's new movie right before or right after "The Buried Secret" previews. Sci Fi needs to figure out what most Sci Fi fans want and stop showing most of these horrible movies. ((Sorry to anyone who likes these horrible movies)).
        Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
        RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
          Athro, just wait until the fall. BSG, Farscape...SG-1 and SGA....good stuff.
          So this buried secret is really legal?[/QUOTE]
          I couldn't get into the new BSG, but I am looking forward to Farscape and, of course, both Stargates.

I guess it's legal. They're apologizing to "the public" in a press release and it even looks as if parent company NBC made them do it. In any case, the only person who could probably sue would be Shyamalan, and he's in on it. At worse, it's false advertising, I guess.
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
            Ack, I'm not watching it. I figured it was all some dumb promotion as soon as I noticed that they were showing previews for M. Night's new movie right before or right after "The Buried Secret" previews. Sci Fi needs to figure out what most Sci Fi fans want and stop showing most of these horrible movies. ((Sorry to anyone who likes these horrible movies)).
            So, to clarify: You're apologising to whom, exactly?
            "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
            "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
            "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
            --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
              The fact that "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan" on SciFi is a hoax isn't exactly news since it's been all over the web for the past few weeks, but now SciFi has admitted it. Bonnie Hammer says it was a guerilla marketing campaign that went too far...kind of like Blair Witch Project.

Personally, I haven't much use for SciFi outside of Stargate and reruns of old series like Twilight Zone. I often think that it's no wonder that Stargate is their cash cow given that most of the rest of what they show is crap (Scare Tactics, Tripping the Rift, Crossing Over, etc.). My opinion, of course. However, I think it really hurts their credibility as a network (not to mention Shyamalan's, but I don't care about that). How stupid! Besides, ads for the "Buried Secret" show were literally all over the screen during New Order and Rising!!
              I thought all the ads they put out for this were pretty funny (in a sad sorta way)
              It kinda reminds me of their "disclosing the secrets of roswel!" documentary (mockumentary?)
              Sci-fi channel is truely king....of BS.
              It feels good to be alive.
              Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I was really high when I saw it, thought it was real and said a prayer.

Damn them.

Comment

I thought it was kinda funny however it didn't seem to fit because M. Night didn't really complain to much publicly so I didn't think it was a big deal.
                  Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                  - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                  - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                  Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                  Mayboune: *shrugs*
                  - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Sci-Fi Channel has been proving the first postulate of Sturgeon's Law correct since the late 90's.

Comment

Working...
                    X