PDA

View Full Version : The Devil To Pay (211)

Alex Rubit
December 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
"The Devil To Pay"

"The Devil To Pay"
Ep: 2.11
Release Date: December 22 2005
Written by Alex Rubit

Following a discovery that's made in Malaysia, the Horizon team are called back to Earth. But Grant soon learns there's more to their visit than the discovery. A Kih'Andari agent has infiltrated the highest levels of ISGC.

Alex Rubit
December 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting this episode thread. The new episode has been released some time ago this afternoon, but I haven't been able to start the thread and poll as I've just gotten home.

Well, this is it: the mid season finale (time's been flying by). As usual you can download the episode on the Stargate: Horizon homepage (http://www.stargatehorizon.com). Due to an internal technical glitch, the news section hasn't been updated yet. But that will be fixed and updated over the weekend - our webmaster should be getting to it shortly.

We hope you enjoy this episode (and the nice cliffhanger ending ;) ). Don't forget to stop back here for comments and discussions.

AzMcNeil
December 22nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Well Alex, excellent mid-season story, but as I have told you on several times, I hate "To Be Continued" story lines. They always leave me wanting more, which is what you have planned. Your sick, just sick ;)

On a side note, this installment would have been even be if Sivok had been involved :)

mentalmichael
December 23rd, 2005, 01:52 AM
Nice episode! Bloody Dureg, trying to spoil my christmas by invading Earth!. Hey, when's part two coming?

lionel_pendergast_rocks
December 23rd, 2005, 07:42 AM
Sometime in February I think.

Nice work on this one, Alex. I kind of like te earth-based episodes. and that thing about the password and the dog... good laugh my friend. :)

can't wait for 2.12!

Alex Rubit
December 23rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Well Alex, excellent mid-season story, but as I have told you on several times, I hate "To Be Continued" story lines. They always leave me wanting more, which is what you have planned. Your sick, just sick ;)

From a writer's point of view, I think Zach put it best: "You just have to love it whenever that To Be Continued phrase pops up." :D

On a side note, this installment would have been even be if Sivok had been involved :)

I'm not surprised that you would say that. ;)

Alex Rubit
December 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Nice episode! Bloody Dureg, trying to spoil my christmas by invading Earth!. Hey, when's part two coming?

I'm glad you liked it. We'll just have to see what happens with Earth at this point. ;)

I did post a preliminary schedule here on the forum some time ago, but that's no longer up to date actually. Currently we don't yet have a specific date for when new episodes will resume. A lot of it depends on how many new writers we'll be getting, and how fast the next few episodes will be ready for release. But we're probably looking at February.

SierraGulf1
December 23rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
I'm not even sure what happens in part two exactly quite yet, so I'm looking forward to reading the outline. :)

Great episode, Alex. I know we've had this one in the works for a while, having been planning an "Earth Crisis" story before my arrival. The anticipation was worth it.

Alex Rubit
December 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Sometime in February I think.

Nice work on this one, Alex. I kind of like te earth-based episodes. and that thing about the password and the dog... good laugh my friend. :)

can't wait for 2.12!

I really like Earth-based episodes, too. Mainly because it's different from what we usually do. Other than on SG-1, the show isn't set on Earth, so going there kind of seems like a bit of a bigger event. I also really like the fact that episodes on Earth kind of underline that this is still very much the Earth we're familiar with. It's seven years into the future, but it's still very much our generation, and people we can relay to. So having people use cell phones and cars is a nice break from the futuristic environment we're usually in when being on Horizon.

What I personally also enjoy about this particular two parter is that it deals with the consequences of the Stargate being public, more than ever. I think the last few moments of this episode make it obvious that this will be having some huge consequences - in many ways Earth won't be the same. We'll be dealing a lot with the consequences, not only in part two, but throughout the future of the series. I've said it before, the idea was always to keep it very realistic. So, just ask yourselves what would happen if the Stargate were to go public today? And more so, what would happen if a broadcast like the one at the end of this episode would be airing on TV? What we have here is today's world, but a world that is aware of the existence of life on other planets, as well as threats coming from space. You've got to wonder, just how long will the ISGC be able to survive under these circumstances. Will it be shut down at some point in the future? That's assuming Earth will survive the next episode of course. Gotta wonder. :D

I'm glad you like the idea of the Nebulan, Geoff (even though you've mentioned that in another post). I have to say pretty much all scenes with Grant and the Nebulan Woman are some of my favorites. Watch out for some interesting revelations regarding the Nebulan in the near future. Could we even one day find out what their real name is, who they really are? I guess that's possible, but who knows these things for sure? ;)

And that thing about the password and the dog, if some of us might have recognized that as a reference to the SG-1 episode "Chain Reaction", that's exactly what it is.

Well, those are my two cents. I think this episode left enough unanswered questions to merit some discussion and speculation. Here are a few questions which I currently can't answer (as much as I'd love to): will the Enoly really attack Earth? What will happen with General Williams? How will Earth's population react to these events? What about Christine's brother, is he innocent? What about this organization Williams supposedly works for? And what about the Phoenix Coalition? And just what's so special about this chamber for the Enoly to be interested in it? Lots of questions, and we'll learn the answer to the last one in the teaser of "The Chamber", by the way.

Here's an interesting deal: the more discussions we get going here, the more we might feel compelled to reveal one or two spoilers to shorten the wait.

On a side note, it's fun to have the Air Force Chief of Staff make another appearance. I'm sure if we were on TV, we might have gotten the real one again, like in "Lost City". That's kind of how I pictured it while writing it. ;)

Alex Rubit
December 23rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
I'm not even sure what happens in part two exactly quite yet, so I'm looking forward to reading the outline. :)

Great episode, Alex. I know we've had this one in the works for a while, having been planning an "Earth Crisis" story before my arrival. The anticipation was worth it.

Yeah, that was the working title for this two parter: Earth Crisis 1 and Earth Crisis 2. They would have made for nice episode titles too I would think. :D

AzMcNeil
December 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Hey Alex, I knew I forgot to ask something) was thata nod to EAG's fanfic Destiny when you mentioned project Destiny? I thought was very clever if it was :)

NoDot
December 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
One thing: "Destiny project"? I'm going to be frank, I don't know if that was nice, or if that wasn't such a good idea.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
December 23rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Well, since Destiny premires in January, and it takes place only about four months ahead of horizon (at least the pilot of SGD), Alex and I both thought it would be a cool idea to kind of have a nod to the series in here. and from what I understand, there might just be one in "the chamber" as well.

NoDot
December 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM
I thought Destiny was supposed to take place 7 years after Horizon's premiere.

Alex Rubit
December 23rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
I thought Destiny was supposed to take place 7 years after Horizon's premiere.

That was changed recently. They both take place around the same time now.

NoDot
December 24th, 2005, 08:06 AM
How close is this "same time"? Are they alligned by mid-seasons? full season? Please clarify.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 24th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I'm not actually sure myself...

Alex Rubit
December 24th, 2005, 07:05 PM
They both just take place in 2013 (startig with episode 2.13 of Horizon). There's no specific plan for which events (or episodes) occur at the same time, as both shows will be completely independent of another, meaning none of the storylines (i.e. the Enoly on Horizon) will be crossing over into the other show. And since Destiny will take place in a completely different galaxy, that will be quite easy to maintain.

Elite Anubis Guard
December 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Well I finished this last night, and well...amazing. I really enjoyed it for an episode without too much action and with Duregs annoucement in the last act, I was just...http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/christmas/noel_samanime03.gif
I am really looking forward to Part 2.

NoDot
December 25th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I am really looking forward to Part 2.Same.

This episode, though, make you wonder (spoilers tags for no reason)if the Replicators are comming to Earth...

Elite Anubis Guard
December 26th, 2005, 01:57 AM
What...why the hell would they? There was no indication towardsmthat.

SierraGulf1
December 26th, 2005, 06:45 AM
It does indeed look as though Earth is screwed. Can't quite how long the hiatus is, though I think it's actually only around the same length of the most recent.

Alex Rubit
December 31st, 2005, 04:39 PM
It does indeed look as though Earth is screwed. Can't quite how long the hiatus is, though I think it's actually only around the same length of the most recent.

Not quite sure yet how long the hiatus will be. I guess it just depends on how fast we can get those next few episodes ready. ;)

It definitely won't be too long. We should be officially releasing the schedule pretty soon.

You know, I do wonder how they're going to get out of this one. Whoever gets to wrestle with part two will be having their hands full resolving this cliffhanger. I, for one, can't wait to see what happens. Because I don't know any more than anyone else does... honestly.

timdalton007
January 6th, 2006, 08:54 AM
A great episode! I was very, very suprised by how good this episode was! I know that the show been improving steadily troughout the season but Alex you've truly went above and beyond my expectations for this episode. I was suprised at how well the story was thought out, how well the dialouge was (especially with President Hayes because I could imagine William Devane saying them). The cliffhanger is a great one and I'm patiently waiting for the hiatus to end! Anyway...Quite Possibly The Best Episode of Stargate Horizon to date!

timdalton007

SierraGulf1
January 7th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Somebody enjoyed it. :)

Hopefully it can be outdone in part 2.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Who's writing part II anyway? Also, is the title "The Chamber" likely to change anytime soon, because, quite frankly, for some reason or another, I keep thinking of a toilet whenever I hear that particular episode title. Yes, a toilet.

SierraGulf1
January 7th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Actually, that's why we named it that. It is the focal point of the episode. :)

Actually, Alex is almost done with it. If there are more fitting titles, then I'm sure it can be changed.

Alex Rubit
January 7th, 2006, 07:31 PM
No plans to change the title.

But funny that you should mention that. Look out for what I think is a great sequence featuring the very first appearance of an Ancient toilet. It will come into play in a very unique way.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 8th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Squee!!! I can't wait.

Aris Boch
January 15th, 2006, 04:35 PM
A great episode, but is it just me or are all these secret organisations and rogue factions getting confusing?

SierraGulf1
January 15th, 2006, 08:45 PM
At the moment I can only think of the Phoenix Coalition and the Kih'Andari.

...And of course this one that Williams claims to be a part of. Then again, we can't be sure that he's being truthful.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM
We really ought to TRUST him. *hint**hint*

Elite Anubis Guard
January 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
And the Pheonix group.

SierraGulf1
January 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
When I said Vorian I meant Phoenix. Eh, I'll change that now.

Plus, the Kih'Andari aren't exactly a secret organization anymore.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Has anyone else but me noticed that the organization that Williams claims to be a part of utterly reaks of the Trust organization from SG-1? Anyone?

Alex Rubit
January 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah, it's all quite complex. And we haven't even gotten to the next two episodes yet.

You never know what will happen, and which surprising twists the story might reveal, or who the real villain behind this whole thing might turn out to be. Can't go any further into that. But you already knew that, of course. :tecmate:

Elite Anubis Guard
March 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm re-reading this. Is it me or is the whole thing with Zachs story a little tease at us?

Alex Rubit
March 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm re-reading this. Is it me or is the whole thing with Zachs story a little tease at us?

It is kind of a hidden joke, referring to this being the first part of a then two parter (now three parter).

I'm glad someone caught it. :cameron:

Elite Anubis Guard
March 12th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Is the bit with Chase and talking about a dog a homage to Chain Reaction?

Alex Rubit
March 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Is the bit with Chase and talking about a dog a homage to Chain Reaction?

Indeed, it is. I love doing things like that every now and then. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
March 12th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Lol, nicely spotted by myself.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 6th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I'd just like to say, that, although this comes a little late, "The Devil to Pay" has quite possibly been the best Season 2 episode yet, in league with "Troika," "Valiant," "What Comes Before the Dawn," and "Path of Revelation, Part II."

cheese
January 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
The name Bill Connelly made me laugh as I suddenly imagined Billy Connelly in the SGH universe.

The laugher soon died away though as I read through one of Horizon's best teasers yet! Enoly on Earth!!

Zach's liitle tease with 'To be continued' gave a strong clue that this episode wasn't going to be one that answered a lot of questions. Zach actually wasn't as annoying as he is in previous episodes. Hurruh. Though it was amusing to think that he wants Christine. I did wonder if perhaps Zach was going to begin his development towards something bigger in this episode (from hints and how this series is going it wouldn't surprise me if he does become involved in something important).

Fantastic to finally see the General Williams cliffhanger start paying off. And again Horizon cunning twists things around, and again somehow manages to leave the reader guessing as to exactly what Williams is doing, or even if he is Williams.

There were a few really nice touches. Moore from the first episode. Christine's brother, the return of Naiyeer. It's things like this that really make the Horizon-verse such a rich place.

The Nublan woman was as mysterious as ever. Who is she? What is she really doing??

The Destiny reference intrigued me. I was thinking of reading Destiny since many Horizon forum posters have banners for it in their sigs. Is this mention an indication that there might be crossover potential??

The cliffhanger was superb. Can't wait to see how things play out for our heroes.

This season really is such good entertainment.

colonel O'Neill
February 1st, 2007, 01:11 PM
One word: Out-freaking-standing.
I have been glued to my computer since Parti Pris episode and the way this first of the three parter started out i think I'm going to be very busy all the way till Path of Revelation, Part Two and hopefully even longer :jack:

This hole season 2 has been awesome:jack_new_anime07: :jack_new_anime07: :jack_new_anime07:

jelgate
December 1st, 2007, 10:28 PM
Jelgate's Two Cents
I can say without a doubt that this was a great episode. I take that back, a spectucular episode. Ever since S1 I have wondered when I was going to hear about the Pheonix Coaliation. I thought they sounded a lot more interesting than the Kir'Adhari. I was not expecting to so that Gen. William was working against the Phoneix Coaliation. It seems like Earth has become even more parnoid since the Stargate went public. I wonder if the Phoneix Coaliation evolved from The Trust of SG-1/Atlantis, just a theory. I think this episode had an interesting with Christine and her brother. Despite the fact that they disagreed politically, they seemed to get along. I personally don't believe that Kevin is working for the Phoneix Coalition, it just seems too obvious. Speaking of the Coalition, poor Sieva and Chase, they are captured by the bad guys again. Its the Enloy three parter. Speaking of the Enloy, I was wondering why they were at the beginning of the episode. now I know that the Enloy are going to attack Earth to get to the Ancient chamber in Malaysisa. You gotta love those Doomsday episode. Just out of courtesy do you like toturing people with those "to be continued."

Questions
I have about a million questions but I won't ask them because they will probably be answered in the next parter