PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice Ford/Sheppard Slashie moments?

Jonas Quinn
July 17th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Did anyone else notice slashy moments between Lt. Ford and Major Sheppard? Ford was all over him. Remember when the city emerged from the water? Ford was like "Yippie, hurray, Major we made it!!" and then started getting all grabby. I half expected him to give John a big bear hug from behind!

Calicto
July 17th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Cant men be friends without it being considered Slash?

Arrgghh... Our society has become so Macho that people like you assume that one man cannot look up to another, admire him, agree with him or become friends with him unless it was slash.

The only thing I noticed was Dr. Weir seemed to like Sheppard more than she was suppose to.

Nolamom
July 17th, 2004, 12:58 PM
What a crock! Slash just because they don't act like enemies? Far too many folks seem to be reading in ship (of SOME kind) into everything these days!

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 12:59 PM
All the women who greet eachother with hugs and kisses... never knew they all were lesbians!

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Ford and Sheppard are the comic releif, thats why it was that way. Although I don't agree with what youre saying, cause I didn't take it that way. I don't even know what you are talking about really. All I know is there is no Ford/Sheppard Ship and I HOPE TO GOD there is no Sheppard/Tayla ship. This show is to good to have a ****ty ship thread starting!

gange57
July 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but what is "slash?"

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM
male-male or female-female relationship.

gange57
July 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Oh I see. Thanks.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 01:17 PM
No problem.

keshou
July 17th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I'm ..er..... delighted that I've now been in fandom long enough that I actually know what slash is. :p

But the answer to the original question is "no", not in the way you mean. I thought Ford and Sheppard seemed to be developing a nice bond in the pilot, a trust between two military men and potential friends. What, two men can't laugh and pat each other on the back and even hug after a tense situation (or a touchdown) without some people thinking they want to hit the hay??

I did see a small somewhat awkward romantic "moment" between Teyla and Sheppard (and I guess I may be prejudiced from reading the original casting notes that indicated these two would have a romantic attraction), but it was nothing more than prolonged eye contact in the necklace scene.

I think it will be fantastic if all the characters end up having chemistry with each other, good friendships can be great fun to watch if they're creatively written in a TV series. But I prefer to just wait and see how the characters develop and hope that they keep any "ship" on the back burner for awhile. I have a feeling that's what TPTB are going to do anyway based on recent comments.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 01:18 PM
You forgot about that Sheppard Tayla forehead scene on the balcony.

I HATE SHIPS!

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Either: no ship at all OR they all jump in bed with eachother in the first ep so that we dont have to worry about it anymore.

Manic
July 17th, 2004, 01:24 PM
What a crock! Slash just because they don't act like enemies? Far too many folks seem to be reading in ship (of SOME kind) into everything these days!
That father was a little too happy to see his son again, if you ask me.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 01:25 PM
The relationship between Weir and Sheppard is cool as it is now, and that I won't mind. But something like LETS SEE TAYLA AND JOHN KISS THIS EPISODE! is stupid. I hate that stuff.!!! NO SHIPS I SAY!! Yo hoe.

Major Tyler
July 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Don't get mad, Nmom, it was just a question. It's not like he said it was bad or good, just that it was. If "Jonas Quinn" wants to see slash, that's his perogative.

Anthro Girl
July 17th, 2004, 02:53 PM
You forgot about that Sheppard Tayla forehead scene on the balcony.
That forehead business must be a form of a hug in Teyla's culture. The father (Hollin) did the same to his son after the team came through the gate and found the kids playing.

IMO, people who either want to see ship or are against any kind of hint of possible, potential maybe-seasons-down-the-line ship will see it even if it isn't intended to be there. For the record, I didn't see anything between any character that was meant to foretell any kind of romance between any pairing. It is possible to have emotional moments of bonding between two people that do not scream "I WANNA HAVE YOUR BABY!" :rolleyes: Does this not happen in real life? As far as slash is concerned...<what Calicto & Nolamom said>.

VirtualCLD
July 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM
So based on that premise, why is male-female not "slash"?

Also, maybe some spoiler warning?

On topic: I also agree with Calicto & Nolamom.

Melyanna
July 17th, 2004, 03:15 PM
So based on that premise, why is male-female not "slash"?

Also, maybe some spoiler warning?

On topic: I also agree with Calicto & Nolamom.
Male/female relationships are called "het" in most fandoms, short for heterosexual. The history of the term slash is somewhat weird, and has reference to the slash between names when naming a pairing. Why it latched onto homosexual relationships, I don't know. But the term is used exclusively for homosexual relationships, and to be completely accurate, it's used when one or both characters isn't explicitly established as homosexual in canon.

EDIT: Because I can never remember everything I was going to say.

No, I didn't see anything shippy between them. They'd all just been thinking they were going to die. Ford had already been established as a mildly hyperactive guy. They were happy that they were still alive.

Hyperspace
July 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM
The writers put it out there, but what the viewers take from it can be something utterly new and unexpected...and still valid, nonetheless.

Thus I see the slash potential. But I see no problem with either a close male-male friendship or a romance between any of the characters. Talk about love triangle-hexagon-....

Jonas Quinn
July 17th, 2004, 07:43 PM
When Ford finds Sheppard and saves him from the Wraith Queen, he tells John that he followed his footprints to find him. Aiden really meant that his heart told him which way to go.

Also, remember when Sheppard shot down that Wraith Dart with the SAW and Ford looks up at John with his hat off. Ford was like, "Angel from Heaven...you've saved me. You're just getting hotter and hotter every minute!"

Atlantis is the best type of show to explore this issue. It's not like Weir is going to kick them out.

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM
When Ford finds Sheppard and saves him from the Wraith Queen, he tells John that he followed his footprints to find him. Aiden really meant that his heart told him which way to go.

Also, remember when Sheppard shot down that Wraith Dart with the SAW and Ford looks up at John with his hat off. Ford was like, "Angel from Heaven...you've saved me. You're just getting hotter and hotter every minute!"

Atlantis is the best type of show to explore this issue. It's not like Weir is going to kick them out.
LOL, omg watching it with that idea in mind, its so true.

Lostinmyownvoid
July 17th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Know this make thinks as too why danny wanted to go through the gate so much.
*Giggles at the thought of shep/danny*

prion
July 18th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Wow, thought it would be at least one week before all the slash talk started.....

But no, didn't see any gay stuff between any of the characters.

I suspect we'll have some huge 'ship' thread going shortly too :rolleyes:

Be nice if we could get to an episode or two before all the sex stuff starts, y'know ?

Major Tyler
July 18th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Wow, thought it would be at least one week before all the slash talk started.....

But no, didn't see any gay stuff between any of the characters.

I suspect we'll have some huge 'ship' thread going shortly too :rolleyes:

Be nice if we could get to an episode or two before all the sex stuff starts, y'know ?If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

Webbgirl
July 18th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Know this make thinks as too why danny wanted to go through the gate so much.
*Giggles at the thought of shep/danny*

This also explains why Jack wouldn't let him go. *g*

Webbgirl
July 18th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I've actually seen it posted on several lists about the Ford/Sheppard slashiness. I'm not sure what I think of Ford yet, so I'll have to wait on that one.

I did see some sparks between McKay and Beckett though. *g*

And for the record...Yes, I am a slasher. No, I don't automatically slash every pair of men I see, and No, I don't necessarily want the writers to pair them up on every show I see. However, it would be nice to see a mainstream show more accurately reflect society in that area. Joss Whedon was one of the few who was able to do it well.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Not to be rude, but I find this so stupid. There was no "slashing" going on! Seriously people. I'm a guy, and people seem to think that whenever two guys touch they're gay. Come on. There's no slash going on here, get over it.

Lostinmyownvoid
July 18th, 2004, 11:22 PM
This also explains why Jack wouldn't let him go. *g*
I never saw a jack/danny thing until then, they are too much alike(don't get started on that debate). But face it MS is sexier than RDA.

Not to be rude, but I find this so stupid. There was no "slashing" going on! Seriously people. I'm a guy, and people seem to think that whenever two guys touch they're gay. Come on. There's no slash going on here, get over it.
I'm a guy and I see slash in alot of things, but then again I'm gay.

Torley
July 18th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I kinda more look at it like Ford is Sheppard's Padawan: he is wide-eyed and full of curiosity and wants to learn from this mystically unassuming yet suavely intelligent man of Ancient ability.

Webbgirl
July 22nd, 2004, 02:52 PM

I'm curious as to how you know that given the fact that the sexuality of the characters hasn't really been addressed yet. One of the reasons so many fans project 'slash' relationships into many shows is that the majority of the writers in Hollywood have failed to adequately address the reality of same sex relationships.

Buzz Lightyear
July 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM

You miss the point of "slash". Would it surprise you to find out that the vast majority of slash fiction is written by women and involve not just sexual elements but lots of romance? So slash is there when the viewer wants it to be there.

Just as lots of women can't understand the male fascination with, ahem, "girl-on-girl" action, most hetersexual men probably can't fathom why women get into "slash".

Put another way, men buy Playboy mags while women buy Harlequin romance novels.

More about slash fiction... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction)

Buzz Lightyear
July 22nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
One of the reasons so many fans project 'slash' relationships into many shows is that the majority of the writers in Hollywood have failed to adequately address the reality of same sex relationships.

Ok, now that statement is stretching things. One really has little to do with the other. Most slash fiction is written by heterosexual women to entertain each other.