Did anyone else ever wonder....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else ever wonder....?

this isn't a complaint just an observation, just wondering if anyone else had this thought. The alliance is the unification of the 2 remaining superpowers on earth China and the US. Chinese culture is a major part of the show. Did anyone else ever think, why are none of the major characters asian?
    Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

they were deported to a neighboring solar system.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath
      this isn't a complaint just an observation, just wondering if anyone else had this thought. The alliance is the unification of the 2 remaining superpowers on earth China and the US. Chinese culture is a major part of the show. Did anyone else ever think, why are none of the major characters asian?
      Trust me... I have wondered... But I think Simon and River are supposed to be Asian (Tam is a Chinese name) and I think so is Inara... Summer Glau looks Chinese and has a Chinese sounding name. But you're right... there aren't a lot of Chinese in the show for a show that has a lot of made-up Chinese swear words...
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

That was something that I never really thought about.

Inara was from Sihnon, the Chinese capital, so maybe she was meant to be part asian.

Comment

Inara did look sorta asian.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I personaly believe that the reason why there are no asians is because, like the US space is a big mixing pot.
            IamdumbbutIwanttobespecial

Sorry for the sarcasm, I am prepared to be called immature, juvinile and retarted for what must seem like some idiots ramblings.

"Carter tried to seduce me."
            "You poor man"

"No no no no, he just doesn't like going through the Stargate."
            "He's worse than Dr. McCoy."
            "Who?"
            "The character that Dr. Beckett plays in real life."

Comment

Asian people read for every single role in the show, and Joss truly believed that the best people for the roles are the ones we can see in the show and movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath
                Joss said he hired Summer and Sean and called them 'tam' in part cos they look like they could have oriental ancestry and tam sounds oriental. So far so good.

what I thought was a terrible shame was that both of the actors who were cast as Mr and Mrs Tam were not just white, but so totally long-faced pointy-nosed that they couldn't ever pass as part chinese. Big shame there, missed opportunity to give verisimilitude to the whole american/chinese blend idea.

Madeleine

Comment

hey i'm new to gatworld forums i'm usually on the stargate atlantis offical sites forum and well hey but yeah i joined here because i love firefly and well with the question in the first episode (witch wasnt aired first train job was) but yeah the episode serenity the planet were they pick up book and the doc etc well that planet had alot of asians walking around and well its just they dont have any asians on the ship but yeah they should have some with the alliance and other ships and also people who contract them but yeah

Comment

Working...
                  X