This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Atlantis Going To Fly?

Do we know if this gargantuan City-Ship will lift-off from the planet it is based on, in the near future?

If it ever does fly, for what purpose do you think it will be for?
    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

well to get the city to fly you need three ZPM's
    1 for sheild and structural intergrity
    1 for interial dampnews and sublight drive
    1 for hyperdrive

i see it as a S3 finale myself...atlantis escaping but were not there get in terms of ZPM collection.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

Maybe they're saving it for the series finale.

In other words, it's never going to fly.

Comment

no i dont think it will ever fly cos they need some sort of base to keep all the SGC people in and to also to further explore the pegasus galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
          well to get the city to fly you need three ZPM's
          1 for sheild and structural intergrity
          1 for interial dampnews and sublight drive
          1 for hyperdrive

i see it as a S3 finale myself...atlantis escaping but were not there get in terms of ZPM collection.

is that speculation or canon info?

Comment

I don't think it will fly.

However, never say never

The bigger question to me would be....if Atlantis were to fly again, where would it go and why the need to fly the city off? .......especially now that (Siege 3 spoiler)
            Spoiler:
            they can cloak the city
            . If TPTB can find a real reason to make the city fly and why it would be airborne, then anything is possible......I suppose.

Comment

I believe I could fly....

Uhh.. I think Immhotep is pretty canon on that.

We know that Shield cannot function at the same time as dampners and sublight engines on ONE ZPM and both are needed.

So, 1 ZPM is required for SHIELD.
              Another ZPM is required for SUBLIGHT DAMPNERS (to allow the ship to hover around)
              and a FINAL to MOVE the ******* city.

Comment

where is this info?

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                  I believe I could fly....

Uhh.. I think Immhotep is pretty canon on that.

We know that Shield cannot function at the same time as dampners and sublight engines on ONE ZPM and both are needed.

So, 1 ZPM is required for SHIELD.
                  Another ZPM is required for SUBLIGHT DAMPNERS (to allow the ship to hover around)
                  and a FINAL to MOVE the ******* city.
                  Got a source for that? If you say 'Critical Mass', you'd better have a direct quote, cause I can't find anything in that episode to suggest this. In fact, that episode suggests quite the opposite.
                  Spoiler:
                  The shields and the inertial dampeners both come on and begin a power buildup headed towards overload. That was going to take upwards of thirty minutes, though. On the other hand, dialing the Stargate to Earth was going to instantly overload the ZPM. Which says that dialing Earth is an incredibly more power taxing job than using shields and inertial dampeners at the same time. So, until they actually try to fly the city, we can't know what it will require.
                  Last edited by Hatcheter; 20 December 2005, 12:44 AM.

a time to mourn

Comment

i have no direct quote but, there is extreamely good evidence for what i said:
                    1 ZPM for shield and alll the sensors, controls, computer for programming travel, releasing the anchor and control thrustors ( which is likey because of the sheer size of the ship).
                    1 ZPM for sublight engines nad interial dampening fields, atlantis is massive, we know from GUP that interials can take up alot of power approx 60% of the PJ power, so if that take 60% of a PJ and atlantis is million of time the size then i assume that it would take another ZPM to fully dampen the city, not to mention getting the hoel thing to take off, on a ZPM could provide enough power to get new york in to orbit IMO possibly more.
                    in addition to this other system we dont even know about my have to be activated to get a city of this size in to space, its a big thing to get a city in to space, for anybody. 1 ZPM for that job minimum.
                    The alteran hyperdrive is not that advanced (compariable to the asgard's) that mean that the drive will need much more power than the asgard because they are less efficent, if the deadalus can run an asgard hyperdrive but an aurora class cannot run a similar technology, there is something draining alot of power.
                    this of course is completly disregarding the facct that we are talk about creating an intergalactic hyperspace conduit that can fit a city inside it, now i will admit this might not need a ZPM on all the time but it will need a ZPM to open the window ( at which time you can disengages the shields and sublight engines and divert power directly to the hyperdrive).

one more side note, atlantis was deisnged to be powered by three ZPM in paralell, meaning any system as complex as launching the city in to space and moving it accross the universe would have been designed around having ample power drawing upon all 3 ZPM's powering the city. we might be able to do with 2, but its likely that trying to move atantis with insufficent power would resultin:
                    *total system shutdown, nothing working
                    *the ZPM's over load and destroy a big chunk of galactic real estate
                    * the hyperdrive ( if we get this far) just burnout, along with the ZPM's powering it, leaving atlantis stuckin mid space, with 1 ZPM to power all the system needed to keep it in space, intact, and let not forget if we do move it i would be under major siege conditions and we might be under constant fire...
                    bottom line we need 3 ZPM's, period, only then could we do it, we could next series move altnaits to the mainland and set up a new city with a base for the earth contingent of the lantia defence ( the orion, deadalus and F-302's).
                    that would be possible however atlantis say going to earth to recharge its drone supply at the outpost then do battle with the the orii/wraith ( if thwey get there) then no, as much as the idea would be the best crossover finale ever...aint gunna happen til atleast S4.

immhotep
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    11000! green me

Comment

<snip>
                      Really, that's 100% speculation.

Remember that the ZPM holds enough energy to blow apart a planet. We're talking about a power quite literally on an astronomical scale. Moving an object that's maybe a billion tons is minor compared to that.

a time to mourn

Comment

blowing up a planet is easy to compared to tearing a hole in the fabric space time and making a city travel through it...
                        and its not speculation i just dont have any quote because it comes from my watching of lots of episodes of S2 and S1, and getting all the quotes i waste of my time when its a perfectly logical theory.
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
                          Do we know if this gargantuan City-Ship will lift-off from the planet it is based on, in the near future?

If it ever does fly, for what purpose do you think it will be for?
                          I wonder if the bottom of Atlantis is flat? maybe they could fly it and land it on the land of the planet they are on. Next to the athothians.

>>wonder<<

Cliff
                          Got computer problems? visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/tech

Living TV's Most Haunted, get the spooks, visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/mosthaunted.

Comment

1 ZPM for shield and alll the sensors, controls, computer for programming travel, releasing the anchor and control thrustors ( which is likey because of the sheer size of the ship).
                            1 ZPM for sublight engines nad interial dampening fields, atlantis is massive, we know from GUP that interials can take up alot of power approx 60% of the PJ power, so if that take 60% of a PJ and atlantis is million of time the size then i assume that it would take another ZPM to fully dampen the city, not to mention getting the hoel thing to take off, on a ZPM could provide enough power to get new york in to orbit IMO possibly more.
                            in addition to this other system we dont even know about my have to be activated to get a city of this size in to space, its a big thing to get a city in to space, for anybody. 1 ZPM for that job minimum.
                            The alteran hyperdrive is not that advanced (compariable to the asgard's) that mean that the drive will need much more power than the asgard because they are less efficent, if the deadalus can run an asgard hyperdrive but an aurora class cannot run a similar technology, there is something draining alot of power.
                            this of course is completly disregarding the facct that we are talk about creating an intergalactic hyperspace conduit that can fit a city inside it, now i will admit this might not need a ZPM on all the time but it will need a ZPM to open the window ( at which time you can disengages the shields and sublight engines and divert power directly to the hyperdrive).

one more side note, atlantis was deisnged to be powered by three ZPM in paralell, meaning any system as complex as launching the city in to space and moving it accross the universe would have been designed around having ample power drawing upon all 3 ZPM's powering the city. we might be able to do with 2, but its likely that trying to move atantis with insufficent power would resultin:
                            *total system shutdown, nothing working
                            *the ZPM's over load and destroy a big chunk of galactic real estate
                            * the hyperdrive ( if we get this far) just burnout, along with the ZPM's powering it, leaving atlantis stuckin mid space, with 1 ZPM to power all the system needed to keep it in space, intact, and let not forget if we do move it i would be under major siege conditions and we might be under constant fire...
                            bottom line we need 3 ZPM's, period, only then could we do it, we could next series move altnaits to the mainland and set up a new city with a base for the earth contingent of the lantia defence ( the orion, deadalus and F-302's).
                            that would be possible however atlantis say going to earth to recharge its drone supply at the outpost then do battle with the the orii/wraith ( if thwey get there) then no, as much as the idea would be the best crossover finale ever...aint gunna happen til atleast S4.

immhotep
                            i completely agree and it makes perfect sense even if we dont have any quotes to back it up

Comment

Originally posted by cjp_24
                              I wonder if the bottom of Atlantis is flat? maybe they could fly it and land it on the land of the planet they are on. Next to the athothians.

>>wonder<<

Cliff
                              'Critical Mass' had one of the best profile images I've yet seen in show. There's a very large spire at the bottom of the city, apparently extending down further than the central spire at the top goes up.

a time to mourn

Comment

Working...
                              X