PDA

View Full Version : Still no Language barrier?? (SPOILERS)

Larry The Chevron Guy
July 17th, 2004, 07:30 AM
(SPACE)

When they first gated to Teyla's planet, they ran into some kids and a man. They spoke perfect english and the Atlantis team understood it. I thought they were going to fix this cheesy flaw in the series by finding a language translator in Atlantis. But NO, they just magiacly understand what everyone is saying IN A DIFFERENT GALAXY!.

That's the only beef I have with Atlantis. Everything else was great!

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Atlantis is supposed to have a universal translator, but we didn't hear anything about it. So I guess it's the plot device again, atleast until we've heard about the translator.

Neat that the Ancients also spoke english instead of Latin or Greek or any of the older languages.

Or maybe the Ancients can read a persons mind and then translate the message to their language :)

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Come on....what fun would it be if they had to spend the first 30 minutes of every 42 or so minute episoide translating a language?

Kraw
July 17th, 2004, 07:59 AM
maybe it had to do with their arrival at Atlantis and the gene's or whatever. Seems like the city understood everything, maybe the city did something to them as they walked around, something they didn't know about :S

other then that, Stargate Atlantis turned out to be 100x's better then I expected! :) :)

Dogma00
July 17th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Atlantis is supposed to have a universal translator, but we didn't hear anything about it. So I guess it's the plot device again, atleast until we've heard about the translator.

Neat that the Ancients also spoke english instead of Latin or Greek or any of the older languages.

Or maybe the Ancients can read a persons mind and then translate the message to their language :)

I don't know if you noticed in the opening few mins, but it appeared to me that the Ancients spoke to each other without speaking. The man and woman looked at each other, and the woman looked as if she had lost hope. The man then walks away.

I guess will wait and find out.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Same could be said for the Jack-Teal'c scene in Lost City. Maybe the Ancients are telepathic.

GhostPoet
July 17th, 2004, 08:15 AM
(SPACE)

When they first gated to Teyla's planet, they ran into some kids and a man. They spoke perfect english and the Atlantis team understood it. I thought they were going to fix this cheesy flaw in the series by finding a language translator in Atlantis. But NO, they just magiacly understand what everyone is saying IN A DIFFERENT GALAXY!.

That's the only beef I have with Atlantis. Everything else was great!

They've done episodes where the people couldn't speak english.

NO ONE LIKED IT.

While the idea is good about having other people not be able to speak english in a different galaxy...it HINDERS the story and the series. Who the heck would want to watch an hour episode where the first 20 mins is just trying to get down thier language...EVERY single time they meet someone new?

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Come on....what fun would it be if they had to spend the first 30 minutes of every 42 or so minute episoide translating a language?

Thats right off the stargate website, lol.

Anthro Girl
July 17th, 2004, 11:14 AM
They spoke English because it's a television show! Get it? Besides, subtitles and action sequences do not mix. :D

thefurryfurling
July 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM
even though the ancient hologram spoke perfect english, notice that the ancient script they use resembles hebrew in its style and hebrew is one of the oldest languages known, at least the producers threw us this bone.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Something tells me the Ancients will also be fluent in german.

Major Tyler
July 17th, 2004, 01:52 PM
I just "pretend" they found a Universal Translator...it helps me suspend disbelief.

Here's the scene I would have added:

*Canadian Dr. McKay and Spaniard "Peter" are in an Ancient Lab*

McKay: "Peter, come take a look at these."
*Peter and Rodney look at a case full dozens of small, triangular devices.*
Peter: "What are they?"
McKay: "I don't know, Peter! That's why I said 'Hey, Peter, come look at these.'"
*McKay actives one of the devices and it makes a sound that startles Peter*
Peter: "Ay Dios mio!"
McKay: "What did you say?"
Peter: "I said 'Ay Dios mio,' you scared the crap out of me! I thought it was going to explode."
McKay: "Say something else."
Peter: "I just did."
McKay: "Ugh! In Spanish!"
Peter: "Eres un idiota pomposo."
McKay: "You just called me a pompous idiot."
*McKay smiles about his discovery*
McKay: "I don't know Spanish...I don't even like Spanish! This must be some sort of translator device."
Peter: "I'll get Dr. Weir."
McKay: "Wait, you just called me a pompous idiot!"

*End scene*

po134
July 17th, 2004, 02:43 PM
If there's humans, the ancients must put them here ... for they lives their lives but after wraith'd come and slave them [It's much rear/breed] ... They spoke an language that the ancient spoken many thousands of years before but remember that the teilya people knew the ancients ... the atlantis city ... they know a lot more than us at this time ! Just watch and see for the next episode !

Remeber this : THIS IS A SCIENCE-FICTION SERIES, IT'S NORMAL THAT THERE'S THINGS THAT CAN'T BE REAL ! is that clear enough for u ? And to be a team member they wanted to speak the same languages ... :cool:

deezlwex
July 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM
"As hoped, the lost city is indeed a treasure trove of advanced technology, which includes such things as a universal translation device. Each team member travelling off-world receives one, which is capable of instantly translating virtually any language encountered"

They're assuming we read the website!

LOL, you all know this has ALWAYS been my biggest beef with SG. It's interesting that that SG1 can go to Russia, and hear Russion, Daniel gets captured in Central America, and has to speak Spanish, needs to know German in "1969", Jack gets the Ancient language downloaded, etc, but when they go to ANOTHER PLANET, English is all that's required, thank you!! Yeah, riiiighhhhttt...... We SEE other written languages, but hear the natives SPEAK English with NO explanation.

It helps me to suspend my disbelief if I assume they found UT tech, like in Trek. I realize that the language issues would "slow down" the plot, but let's at least have a LITTLE realism; throw us a bone - oh, they're advanced couputer allows us to communicat or SOMETHING! Trek addressed the issue with the PERFECTLY working (!!) UT (except where it's convenient to the plot for it NOT to work), and Farscape addressed it with the translator microbes.

SG and Atlantis need to ADDRESS it (hopefully, with a UT) then we're done.

Rant off.

Blue_Revan
July 17th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Maby since the ancients were latan speaking aliens and they taught everyone eles around them there language maby the next step is english.

deezlwex
July 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I think I'm still gonna go with the UT! Or the fact that the Ancients have other technology that will enable any person to communicate in that person's language.

IceHunter
July 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
That's just a bad (and lazy) excuse for not doing it right.

IceHunter
July 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM
They've done episodes where the people couldn't speak english.

NO ONE LIKED IT.

Speak for yourself.

While the idea is good about having other people not be able to speak english in a different galaxy...it HINDERS the story and the series.

Nonsense. Only if you employ totally talentless hacks.

Who the heck would want to watch an hour episode where the first 20 mins is just trying to get down thier language...EVERY single time they meet someone new?
Only a talenthless hack would write such an episode.

IceHunter
July 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM
They spoke English because it's a television show! Get it? Besides, subtitles and action sequences do not mix. :D
Not if you reading skills are bad. But there are millions of europeans who watch everything (tv/theater) subtitled, and they don't have a problem, regardless of the genre. Its only a matter of practice. And what better way to practice than with your favourite tv show ;)

Anthro Girl
July 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Not if you reading skills are bad. But there are millions of europeans who watch everything (tv/theater) subtitled, and they don't have a problem, regardless of the genre. Its only a matter of practice. And what better way to practice than with your favourite tv show ;)
So, if my reading skills are bad then action sequences and subtitles are okay? Huh? :p Do you know how many times I had to rewatch episodes of Iron Chef to process both the (hilariously inaccurate) subtitles and the action in the kitchen? Do you? :eek:

I can agree to disagree on the subject and I don't care for TPTB to spend precious broadcast time dealing with language barriers that have hitherto not existed. If some people prefer to imagine that the fictional universe that is Stargate actually found a universal translator sometime when the cameras weren't running, then hey...whatever works for you. Suspension of disbelief works for me. We travel the galaxy and they all speak English. With equally rare exception, it worked for George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry. Works for me. :D

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Do Europeans go: "Is it just me or does anyone find it odd that everytime a new planet is visited, they speak French/German/Spanish/etc.?"

I think the answer is yes, but the real question is, does anyone actually care?

Scruff
July 17th, 2004, 06:36 PM
This is funny. No one gets it. The Ancients originated on Earth (as stated on SG-A ep1) The Ancients built the Gate system. Many people in the Milky Way galaxy speak a close equivilant to modern American English. (Although most were taken from Earth by the Goa'uld and scattered.) At some point the Ancients moved to the Pegasus galaxy. People in the Pegasus galaxy also speak a close approximation of English. The Ancients moved back to Earth and now "English" is the 2nd most common language on Earth.

It's very simple, the Ancients either created the "English" language, or created a language that quite easily evolved into "English" on almost every world they visited.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Or it's a part of our genetical make up

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 06:52 PM
This is funny. No one gets it. The Ancients originated on Earth (as stated on SG-A ep1) The Ancients built the Gate system. Many people in the Milky Way galaxy speak a close equivilant to modern American English. (Although most were taken from Earth by the Goa'uld and scattered.) At some point the Ancients moved to the Pegasus galaxy. People in the Pegasus galaxy also speak a close approximation of English. The Ancients moved back to Earth and now "English" is the 2nd most common language on Earth.

It's very simple, the Ancients either created the "English" language, or created a language that quite easily evolved into "English" on almost every world they visited.
Umm... noooo
The Ancients originated on Earth 2 million years ago, therefore English didn't exist yet. The people taken from Earth by the Gou'uld were taken during the Egyptian times, where English didn't exist. The Ancients went to the Pegasus galaxy before English existed, they returned from the Pegasus galaxy before English existed. They all died or Ascended before English existed. English is a rather young language compared to others in the world.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Two million? Um... "OK" :D

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Since when did we get an exact date?

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Thats what was said at the beginning of SGA... I think.
Something along that idea, it was a very big number.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Give or take several 10 million years =)

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM
aAnubiSs, did u catch the number, I'm still downloading the episode, Bittorrent is so slow.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Dr. Jackson said the city probably left Earth 5-10 million years ago

aAnubiSs
I catch everything :)

DownFallAngel
The begining stated SVERAL MILLION YEARS AGO, corresponding with aANUBISs.

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Umm... noooo
The Ancients originated on Earth 2 million years ago, therefore English didn't exist yet. The people taken from Earth by the Gou'uld were taken during the Egyptian times, where English didn't exist. The Ancients went to the Pegasus galaxy before English existed, they returned from the Pegasus galaxy before English existed. They all died or Ascended before English existed. English is a rather young language compared to others in the world.
Okay then u just made my point even closer to being true
Thanx :)

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Why would you quote yourself!?

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I dunno

aAnubiSs
Multiple Personality Disorder :)

EYU86
I dunno
Because I'm bored

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Me, Myself & I agree that you are wrong!

Also, the "guy" who turns on the power is named Peter. Referring to your sig.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Multiple Personality Disorder :)

I think you're right!

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Me, Myself & I agree that you are wrong!

Also, the "guy" who turns on the power is named Peter. Referring to your sig.
Thanks, I've been meaning to find his name.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 07:08 PM
And if I were to quote myself I would look like an @$$.

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I've been meaning to find his name.
Better now.
LOL

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 07:10 PM
No problem man.

aAnubiSs
He didn't thank you!

EYU86
Alright I gotta stop quoting myself.
It's annoying me now.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 07:12 PM
You so harsh aAnubiSs!!

Jonas Quinn
July 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM
I just "pretend" they found a Universal Translator...it helps me suspend disbelief.

Here's the scene I would have added:

*Canadian Dr. Rodney McKay and Spaniard Peter Grodin are in an Ancient Lab*

McKay: "Peter, come take a look at these."
*Peter and Rodney look at a case full dozens of small, triangular devices.*
Peter: "What are they?"
McKay: "I don't know, Peter! That's why I said 'Hey, Peter, come look at these.'"
*McKay actives one of the devices and it makes a sound that startles Peter*
Peter: "Ay Dios mio!"
McKay: "What did you say?"
Peter: "I said 'Ay Dios mio,' you scared the crap out of me! I thought it was going to explode."
McKay: "Say something else."
Peter: "I just did."
McKay: "Ugh! In Spanish!"
Peter: "Eres un idiota pomposo."
McKay: "You just called me a pompous idiot."
*McKay smiles about his discovery*
McKay: "I don't know Spanish...I don't even like Spanish! This must be some sort of translator device."
Peter: "I'll get Dr. Weir."

*End scene*
LOL, Awesome scene! I can totally see McKay acting like that! It would have been an easy enough scene to add and it would have only taken a minute or so to do. I'll just add it in my head ;). Plus your Spanish was good, too. Keep writing!

Scruff
July 17th, 2004, 07:31 PM
aAnubiSs is on the same track I hinted at. EYU86, must have overlooked the part where I said the Ancient's created a languge that evolved into English. The easiest answer is that something may have been placed in our genetic makeup to create a similar language regardless of other influences.

VirtualCLD
July 17th, 2004, 07:32 PM
That's a great pretend scene!

BTW: Anyone got this in HDTV? I'd love to decode the writing on the Acnient monitor in the cotrol room. MY recording doesn't show it well enough to translate.

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:35 PM
aAnubiSs is on the same track I hinted at. EYU86, must have overlooked the part where I said the Ancient's created a languge that evolved into English. The easiest answer is that something may have been placed in our genetic makeup to create a similar language regardless of other influences.
Okay, but then why didn't the Ancients speak English if they put it in our genetic makeup to end up speaking English instead of make us end up with the Ancient language which would have made more sense and...

Blacked out for a second there, what was I saying?

Jonas Quinn
July 17th, 2004, 07:47 PM
*Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."
I see you got my PM. His name is Peter Grodin and I think he's a scientist from Spain because he has the Spanish flag on his uniform.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Actually I told him....

Jonas Quinn
July 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Actually I told him....
Then I guess we both told him.

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 07:52 PM
LOL, I didn't even know that I had a PM, and it was sent at about 4:30
My bad.

Jonas Quinn
July 17th, 2004, 07:54 PM
LOL, I didn't even know that I had a PM, and it was sent at about 4:30
My bad.
No biggie :). What's important is that you were informed, LOL.

uknesvuinng
July 17th, 2004, 07:58 PM
You must have a great mind, sir. Now I'll quote myself.

I commend you, this is truely cool. *runs away to figure out why Ancient is just coded English*
English is the universal language created by the Ancients. It was put into the seeded human genepools to develop over time, as well as taught to their allies, so that everyone could communicate. The Goa'uld learned it after taking hosts and the rest is Stargate history.

Heh, I was just making junk up but it sounded pretty cool.

GhostPoet
July 17th, 2004, 09:43 PM
That's a great pretend scene!

BTW: Anyone got this in HDTV? I'd love to decode the writing on the Acnient monitor in the cotrol room. MY recording doesn't show it well enough to translate.

I have an HDTV...but is sci-fi even broadcasting in high def? I thought they hadn't yet?

Torley
July 17th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Suspension of disbelief, eh...

Watch closely enough and you'll ALWAYS see the zipper on the monster's back :P

Anthro Girl
July 17th, 2004, 11:54 PM
I have an HDTV...but is sci-fi even broadcasting in high def? I thought they hadn't yet?
Sadly, no. SciFi is not broadcasting in HDTV. See related thread here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=1817).

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion...

deezlwex
July 18th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Speak for yourself.

Nonsense. Only if you employ totally talentless hacks.

Only a talenthless hack would write such an episode.
What IceHunter said. Like I said, at least give us a quickie explain, and be done with it.

deezlwex
July 18th, 2004, 06:41 AM
I just thought of something else - may WE are speaking their language! LOL! I wonder if the alien races that SG1 encounters wonder - how come they speak GLubnarb, or whatever they call their own language.

deezlwex
July 18th, 2004, 03:10 PM
"maybe it had to do with their arrival at Atlantis and the gene's or whatever. Seems like the city understood everything, maybe the city did something to them as they walked around, something they didn't know about"

Upon viewing the tape, I think this is the reason that the hologram spoke English. Everyone on the team, from any country, probably heard it in his or her native language. The Ancients' computer knows. Same as the puddle jumper instantly reading thoughts.

Now, about the natives. Yes, I will still "assume" that the producers assumed that we have read the website backstory about the translator tech. Especially since we hear Teyla speak in terms of "years" . I still hope the address it in passing, now and then, like Star Trek and Farscape did.

deezlwex
July 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM

This is a fun theory, but then why doesn't everyone on Earth speak English as their native tongue? Let's pretend a UT!

Tannis
July 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM
My personal opinion is that the Ancient's spoke a form of Latin, maybe even taught it to the Romans. Remember the first time O'neill downloaded the ancient's repository into his brain, Daniel translated what he was saying by looking up the root variations of what O'neill was saying in his Latin Dictionary. He also said that it was probable that the Ancients taught the Romans language, democracy etc going off references he found to the Romans learning from the "road builders"

So from what he said in that episode the Ancient's spoke some earlier variant of Latin or at least that was what O'neill spoke when he downloaded the repository into his brain.

deezlwex
July 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM
My personal opinion is that the Ancient's spoke a form of Latin, maybe even taught it to the Romans. Remember the first time O'neill downloaded the ancient's repository into his brain, Daniel translated what he was saying by looking up the root variations of what O'neill was saying in his Latin Dictionary

I agree with you there. Since it doesn't explain out hearing English, we can assume a UT. Which begs the question - if the Ancients' had translation technology (we know the Asgard do), then WHY did the O'Neill get the information downloaded in Ancient, and not in English?

disforw
July 18th, 2004, 05:37 PM

WHAT :eek: ! you have alot to learn, the stargate is very real. :cool:

deezlwex
July 19th, 2004, 02:22 AM
!!!LOL!

Let's see what develops over the course of the series. THey may yet explainit.