X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no Language barrier?? (SPOILERS)

(SPACE)

When they first gated to Teyla's planet, they ran into some kids and a man. They spoke perfect english and the Atlantis team understood it. I thought they were going to fix this cheesy flaw in the series by finding a language translator in Atlantis. But NO, they just magiacly understand what everyone is saying IN A DIFFERENT GALAXY!.

That's the only beef I have with Atlantis. Everything else was great!

Atlantis is supposed to have a universal translator, but we didn't hear anything about it. So I guess it's the plot device again, atleast until we've heard about the translator.

Neat that the Ancients also spoke english instead of Latin or Greek or any of the older languages.

Or maybe the Ancients can read a persons mind and then translate the message to their language

Comment

Come on....what fun would it be if they had to spend the first 30 minutes of every 42 or so minute episoide translating a language?
      sigpic

Comment

maybe it had to do with their arrival at Atlantis and the gene's or whatever. Seems like the city understood everything, maybe the city did something to them as they walked around, something they didn't know about

other then that, Stargate Atlantis turned out to be 100x's better then I expected!

My personal site www.krawdaddy.net
        Admin/Co-Owner: DiscussNASCAR.com | Admin: DiscussAnything.com | SuperMod: ChopperWeb.net

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
          Atlantis is supposed to have a universal translator, but we didn't hear anything about it. So I guess it's the plot device again, atleast until we've heard about the translator.

Neat that the Ancients also spoke english instead of Latin or Greek or any of the older languages.

Or maybe the Ancients can read a persons mind and then translate the message to their language
          I don't know if you noticed in the opening few mins, but it appeared to me that the Ancients spoke to each other without speaking. The man and woman looked at each other, and the woman looked as if she had lost hope. The man then walks away.

I guess will wait and find out.

Spoiler Space
          ****** USE IT *******
          SFA rank - Sgt-At-Arms

To find out more vist the FAQ

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogma of war!

Comment

Same could be said for the Jack-Teal'c scene in Lost City. Maybe the Ancients are telepathic.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry The Chevron Guy
              (SPACE)

When they first gated to Teyla's planet, they ran into some kids and a man. They spoke perfect english and the Atlantis team understood it. I thought they were going to fix this cheesy flaw in the series by finding a language translator in Atlantis. But NO, they just magiacly understand what everyone is saying IN A DIFFERENT GALAXY!.

That's the only beef I have with Atlantis. Everything else was great!
              They've done episodes where the people couldn't speak english.

NO ONE LIKED IT.

While the idea is good about having other people not be able to speak english in a different galaxy...it HINDERS the story and the series. Who the heck would want to watch an hour episode where the first 20 mins is just trying to get down thier language...EVERY single time they meet someone new?
              It feels good to be alive.
              Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                Come on....what fun would it be if they had to spend the first 30 minutes of every 42 or so minute episoide translating a language?
                Thats right off the stargate website, lol.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

They spoke English because it's a television show! Get it? Besides, subtitles and action sequences do not mix.
                  Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                  O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                  - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                  - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                  once done, cannot be undone...
                  brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

even though the ancient hologram spoke perfect english, notice that the ancient script they use resembles hebrew in its style and hebrew is one of the oldest languages known, at least the producers threw us this bone.
                    Jack:"Oh I don't know I just can't imagine cute little furry things making big powerful weapons"
                    Jonas:"I don't even know what they look like"
                    Jack:"Furling, sounds cute and fuzzy to me"
                    --Paradise Lost 615
                    Thor: "We can only hope this is the last footwear to fall"
                    --Unnatural Selection 612
                    Jack: I'm Larry, this is (points to Sam) Moe, and of course everybody's favorite (referring to Daniel) Curly.
                    --Seth 302

"Nu ani Anquiatas" - "We are the ancients"

Comment

Something tells me the Ancients will also be fluent in german.

Comment

I just "pretend" they found a Universal Translator...it helps me suspend disbelief.

Here's the scene I would have added:

*Canadian Dr. McKay and Spaniard "Peter" are in an Ancient Lab*

McKay: "Peter, come take a look at these."
                        *Peter and Rodney look at a case full dozens of small, triangular devices.*
                        Peter: "What are they?"
                        McKay: "I don't know, Peter! That's why I said 'Hey, Peter, come look at these.'"
                        *McKay actives one of the devices and it makes a sound that startles Peter*
                        Peter: "Ay Dios mio!"
                        McKay: "What did you say?"
                        Peter: "I said 'Ay Dios mio,' you scared the crap out of me! I thought it was going to explode."
                        McKay: "Say something else."
                        Peter: "I just did."
                        McKay: "Ugh! In Spanish!"
                        Peter: "Eres un idiota pomposo."
                        McKay: "You just called me a pompous idiot."
                        *McKay smiles about his discovery*
                        McKay: "I don't know Spanish...I don't even like Spanish! This must be some sort of translator device."
                        Peter: "I'll get Dr. Weir."
                        McKay: "Wait, you just called me a pompous idiot!"

*End scene*
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

If there's humans, the ancients must put them here ... for they lives their lives but after wraith'd come and slave them [It's much rear/breed] ... They spoke an language that the ancient spoken many thousands of years before but remember that the teilya people knew the ancients ... the atlantis city ... they know a lot more than us at this time ! Just watch and see for the next episode !

Remeber this : THIS IS A SCIENCE-FICTION SERIES, IT'S NORMAL THAT THERE'S THINGS THAT CAN'T BE REAL ! is that clear enough for u ? And to be a team member they wanted to speak the same languages ...
                          - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                          - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                          - The Nox

Comment

"As hoped, the lost city is indeed a treasure trove of advanced technology, which includes such things as a universal translation device. Each team member travelling off-world receives one, which is capable of instantly translating virtually any language encountered"

They're assuming we read the website!

LOL, you all know this has ALWAYS been my biggest beef with SG. It's interesting that that SG1 can go to Russia, and hear Russion, Daniel gets captured in Central America, and has to speak Spanish, needs to know German in "1969", Jack gets the Ancient language downloaded, etc, but when they go to ANOTHER PLANET, English is all that's required, thank you!! Yeah, riiiighhhhttt...... We SEE other written languages, but hear the natives SPEAK English with NO explanation.

It helps me to suspend my disbelief if I assume they found UT tech, like in Trek. I realize that the language issues would "slow down" the plot, but let's at least have a LITTLE realism; throw us a bone - oh, they're advanced couputer allows us to communicat or SOMETHING! Trek addressed the issue with the PERFECTLY working (!!) UT (except where it's convenient to the plot for it NOT to work), and Farscape addressed it with the translator microbes.

SG and Atlantis need to ADDRESS it (hopefully, with a UT) then we're done.

Rant off.
                            Last edited by deezlwex; 17 July 2004, 03:56 PM. Reason: Addition Again

Comment

Maby since the ancients were latan speaking aliens and they taught everyone eles around them there language maby the next step is english.

Comment

Working...
                              X