This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci Fi shows that failed to live up to their potential

What shows have you watched/are fans of that you felt did not live up to their potential? For me one show shines glaringly more then any other:

Earth: Final Conflict.

I loved this show. I would actually stay up too 4AM to catch episodes (only time it would play here at a certain point)... I really liked the story behind it. But it was so badly written at one point when it came to the overall story-arc... it changed so much, kept morphing, losing main characters, gaining new main characters, bringing old characters back, killing them off, and then to top it off, totally change the show in its last season (Season 5)! Though "technically" just a further development of the story, many fans felt that season 5 was a totally different show, or would have done better as such... it was just such a change from season 1-4.

I love Earth: Final Conflict. It was just implemented badly!

What about you?

Invisible Man. I really liked it but it seemed most of the budget went to the special effects. It was a great concept, had great characters. Just needed a little more kick.

Comment

Dark Angel and Roswell. Both shows had great characters and interesting stories going for them, but in the end, Roswell didn't seem to know what to say anymore and Dark Angel seemed to be trying to say too much.

We all knew that eventually the kids in Roswell were going to have to phone home, but the writers had to go and trap them in depressing lives on earth. WTF? I thought that whole ending could have been carried out a little better.

Dark Angel...all I remember of the end was something about mutants forming some kind of union, or something. I'd have appreciated it if they hadn't brought people with masks on into the show. The made for TV movies were much better and stayed pretty solid to what it was about. Dark Angel could have stretched out for at least another season if they hadn't focused so much on the whole transhuman or whatever it was, thing. At least it didn't suffer death via shippers...to my knowledge...
      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

John Doe well it didn't get a chance being cancelled and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
          What shows have you watched/are fans of that you felt did not live up to their potential? For me one show shines glaringly more then any other:

Earth: Final Conflict.

I loved this show. I would actually stay up too 4AM to catch episodes (only time it would play here at a certain point)... I really liked the story behind it. But it was so badly written at one point when it came to the overall story-arc... it changed so much, kept morphing, losing main characters, gaining new main characters, bringing old characters back, killing them off, and then to top it off, totally change the show in its last season (Season 5)! Though "technically" just a further development of the story, many fans felt that season 5 was a totally different show, or would have done better as such... it was just such a change from season 1-4.

I love Earth: Final Conflict. It was just implemented badly!

What about you?
          I agree with you on Earth. I discovered it during the second season and watch it until the end of the fourth. I was so pissed off with what they did in the season finale that I didn't even bother watching S5. That Female character was my least fave of the show. I just couldn't stand her.

I was also disappointed with Roswell and Dark Angel. With Dark Angel they took a seriously wrong turn by introducing all those mutants especially the dog like character. I thought it was working great during S1. I love the Max/Logan interaction. Max's friends at the bike courier were a great bunch. I think just following the day to day struggles of living in that society would have provided plenty of drama without having to resort to weird cults and a hidden destiny for MAX.

As for Roswell, it just seemed to lose its focus. It has been a while since I have seen it. Like Dark Angel, I don't think it needed to resort to "more out of this world" stories to be a success.

Another show that I was disappointed with was THIRD WAVE starring Sebastian Spence. I don't know how many of you have heard of it. I thought that the first few eps of Season One were great. I often wonder how it managed to get renewed for three seasons. I still watched it all. I guess I had a thing for Cade. He was quite nice to watch.

I thought the casting of Jordan was a BIG mistake. Absolutely no chemistry between her and Cade Foster. I thought they should have done more with the friendship between Cade and Eddie. I like the story ideas but didn't like how they were done. It lacked passion and a sense of humor.
          sigpic
          Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Enterprise - at least not until the 4th season.

Comment

Enterprise
              Farscape
              Roswell (BIG TIME!)
              Invisible Man
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I have to go for the Roswell...(hehe! he was king, yeah? )
                It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

First off- Enterprise, it wasnt to good, until it was to late. i liked the last two seasons but there was to much opposition.

Secondly, Voyager. It had a good main premisr, but the actors and each shows stroyline was horrible. It was given a Great empire of golden material to use with its star trek predessors(sp) , but the thing that kille dit and girls dont get mad at me , Janeway was horrible, Star trek shows should stick with male captains.

Thirdly, the original Battle star galactica, i liked the original but when you look at the newer one you can see what the potetnial for the first one was, and that to me is a let down.

Then WIng commnder. What can i say, great game, Great plot, bad on screen, What happened?

Comment

I agree with what has been said about Earth the Final Conflict. The first two seasons were good but then it all went down the crapper.

The same goes for Dark Angel. Great first season and then disaster struck.

Roswell was going so well and then it switched networks and sank into a muddle of stories that just lacked oomph.

Threshold had a good story but took itself too seriously and came off as cold, boring and unappealing.

Dark Skies shot itself in the foot by being set in the 1960s and centering around two isolated people which limited its plot somewhat but it had good possibilities that it just never got the chance to explore.

Forever Knight... tsk tsk tsk... as if it weren't bad enought that it was moved to a horrible timeslot they ended it on a terrible cliffhanger or perhaps that was just a plain bad ending.

Prey - I loved the idea behind this show but so quickly they ruined it with silly stories that made no sense

Sliders is a perfect example of needing to know when to let go. There was a point at which this show could have saved itself by going out with a bang at the first sign of decline but they went past that moment and kept going long after the shark had been jumped.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I hate to admit it, but I kinda like "Invisible Man" and "The Chronicle". With a tad better writing, both shows could have been quite fun.

The "New Outer Limits" was a huge let down as most episodes ended with the hero and/or mankind totally doomed. The original "Outer Limits" was about overcoming the unknown. Not sure why TPTB on the remake show decided to go for the depressing as it certainly became more and more difficult to watch.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                      X