PDA

View Full Version : Rate Atlantis: Rising (Spoilers)

vikingjedi
July 17th, 2004, 03:10 AM
After all the hype I would have to say that the show did a good job living up to all the expectations.

The Wraith are freaky, especially the female. I was hoping they wouldnt disappoint, and IMO they didnt. If they defeated the Ancients then Im sure we'll see how powerful they really are later on down the line. Its going to be hard getting that wraith's face out of my head, I hope I dont have nightmares :eek:

I didnt expect Robert Patrick to be killed in the first episode, that was the only thing I didnt like. He would have been a solid addition to the show.

Overall I see a big future for Atlantis and I cant wait to see next week's episode.

I would give it an 8 out of 10. Great show!

Muldy_SG1
July 17th, 2004, 03:32 AM
I give it 10/10

I thought it was so cool!! :D

Mio
July 17th, 2004, 05:17 AM
9.25/10....

It was a good show.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Really good

ChopinGal
July 17th, 2004, 05:59 AM
I'm giving it a 10/10 - it certainly made an instant fan of me and I was not expecting that to happen :rolleyes:

It seems TPTB pulled out all stops on this one - hope they can keep the special effects and writing humming along throughout the season - albeit at a probably lesser intensity - but this first episode can stand alone on its merits.

Atlantis Rising = Shining Star (of Approval) ;)

kree
July 17th, 2004, 06:03 AM
9/10

I loved it! It certainly met my expectations after months of waiting. The only thing I wish they had included was the opening theme song. I was really looking forward to hearing and seeing the way they put together the show opening song thing. Oh well, maybe next week.

Dogma00
July 17th, 2004, 06:17 AM
9/10

I found the main cast likable, the plot very interesting and the baddies down right freaky. As a main point I think we have another winner on our hands here. I can wait to see the next eps.

mjef
July 17th, 2004, 06:23 AM
I was like a kid waiting for xmas all day yesterday and the show did not disappoint. These Wraith are some wicked aliens for sure. Really look forward to the rest of the season.

PYRO
July 17th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Good show.
They even found time to make jokes....

"Look the gate has a force field like the earth gate's iris"! **On** **Off** **on**

"Power...POWER...."

somme
July 17th, 2004, 06:41 AM
i thought it was great. 9/10 :D

Larry
July 17th, 2004, 06:46 AM
The show lived up to all the hype/expectations. A very worthy successor to SG-1 should this be the final season.

Vegn
July 17th, 2004, 06:57 AM
9/10 It was awesome. I'm looking forward to the next episode. I would have given it a 10 but I was a little upset at the fact that Sam and Tea'c weren't there. But i'll get over it. I understand why they did it.

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 07:16 AM
9/10 Stars
(Very Very Good Show)

3 things I didn't understand though:
-What actually caused Atlantis to rise to the surface?
-How were Teyla's people speaking English? (Seriously, from an in-universe explanation please.)
-Did Sheppard actually shoot to kill Sumner; or was he perhaps trying to save him by aiming at the Wraith's hand that was killing him? (This was my one big morality issue with an otherwise moral character.)

*EDIT*-Where were Sam and Teal'c anyway?

KayMan2k
July 17th, 2004, 07:24 AM
9/10 Stars
(Very Very Good Show)

3 things I didn't understand though:
-What actually caused Atlantis to rise to the surface?
-How were Teyla's people speaking English? (Seriously, from an in-universe explanation please.)
-Did Sheppard actually shoot to kill Sumner; or was he perhaps trying to save him by aiming at the Wraith's hand that was killing him? (This was my one big morality issue with an otherwise moral character.)

1. Failsafe device. The forcefield was failing and the only way for the city not to be crushed by water was to rise.
2. Either Universal Translators, English was really developed in the Peaguses galaxy, or the magic of TV :)
3. Yes, Sumner was dying and in great pain. Sheppard killed him also so that his suffering would end - there really was no way to help him.

HOWEVER!! In some preview shots for the episode I thought we saw Sumner being carried away to the Stargate. Guess they took that out.

KayMan2k
July 17th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Due to roylaties and legalities with SG-1 v. Stargate Movie, the characters were not allowed to be, or be mentioned, in the pilot episodes of Atlantis. Don't worry, they will make future guest appearances.

Julia Watson
July 17th, 2004, 07:31 AM
8/10, that was a sweet way to start the Atlantis train! :)

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Due to roylaties and legalities with SG-1 v. Stargate Movie, the characters were not allowed to be, or be mentioned, in the pilot episodes of Atlantis. Don't worry, they will make future guest appearances.
OK, but does anyone know an in-universe explanation?
I thought it would have been fitting to have the entire SG-1 team present as the new team leaves, and they all certainly deserved to witness to this incredible event. :)

Kull
July 17th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Loved it. 10/10.... I was surprised that Dr. Jackson did not try harder to go to Atlantis! I thought nothing would keep him away!

GateAngel
July 17th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Loved it. 10/10.... I was surprised that Dr. Jackson did not try harder to go to Atlantis! I thought nothing would keep him away!Thank god Jack did:) They were the best thing about this episode. However just basing comments on what will be the regular cast and premise of SG:Atlantis..

I give Rising 3 out of ten rating:

Sheppard was the shining light in this episode. He was everything they told us Jonas Quinn was going to be in season six but wasn't. He is the wide-eyed newbie thrown into a situation he has to scramble to gain a handle on and he is the one the audience can connect to. However the use of his 'special gene' was way overused to quickly and conveniently. I liked Sheppard enough that if Atlantis fails and SG1 continues..I would like to see him become the fourth member of the SG1 team.

Weir was weak and I'm still trying to figure out how someone whose only expertise is in diplomatic relations and treaty negiotations ends up leading a scientific expedition to another galaxy. It just doesn't make sense. Teyla was wooden, poor Rodney was reduced to 'whiny esposition boy'', Ford was ok and Beckett was mildly amusing in a 'toned downed Felger' sort of way.

They killed off Sumner..big mistake! They needed the strength and balance he provided as a leader..cause Weir certainly doesn't have it.

The Wraith? RCC said in a recent interview that he felt the Goa'uld were ludicrius and that the Wraith were different. I don't get it and I don't see it.

Goa'uld have big, muscular warriors in armor who carry staff weapons..so do the Wraith. Goa'uld are arrogent and think that humans are their commody to do with what they please..so do the Wraith.

The Wraith made me giggle and laugh..they were too 'drama queen' stereotype amusing to be taken seriously as a real threat.

A large chunk of these episode was just a rehash of scenes and dialog from Children of the Gods.

Sam bantering to Jack just before they enter the gate in CoTG "I'm sure you get to like me once you know me, sir"

Sheppard bantering with Sumner before entering the gate in Rising "I'm sure you'll warm up to me once you get to know me."

Daniel takes Jack to see writing on Temple walls in CoTG..Teyla takes Sheppard to see writing on temple walls in Rising.

Then there was the whole duplication of the holding cell/aliens coming to chose a victim scene complete with the 'No, take me." line of dialog.

Kawalsky shoots a death glider out of the sky with a rocket launcher in CoTBG, One of Sumner's men shoots a Wraith Dart ship out of the sky with a rocket launcher in Rising.

All in all I found it to be a dismal mix of poor characters and rehashed plotlines that not even the excellent (and adorable looking) character of John Sheppard can entice me into watching any further than this pilot episode.

GhostPoet
July 17th, 2004, 09:17 AM
10/10

I thought it was awesome. It completely blew me away...my expectations were extremely high and they blew the roof off of them. It's my new favorite show. :)

I'll be curious to see how the characters grow..what directions they take..especially Lt. Ford...considering we know jack about him.

As for the characters...

Weir fits perfectly as a leader. She has alot to learn about leading her people, she has alot of room for growth..and that's GOOD. She thinks about things on a scientific level and Shepard is there to sort of fill that missing military thinking in her mind. The two work together very well. I can see her growing into her new position just nicely.

Shephard was of course, great. I knew he would be. He's got a dry, sometimes sarcastic humor that fits well. And he can handle a gun great.

Ford can't say too much about him right now...we don't know much about him yet. Maybe in a few more episodes he'll have more depth.

Teyla I think she'll make a great addition to the team...she adds an alien element and strength to the group.

Mckay was great, can't wait to see him on adventures.

The Wraith...my new favorite bad guys. The ones with the white mustaches are my favorite, they were just awesome. And the fact that they are so hard to kill makes them all the more menacing. They just plain rocked.

The pilot itself was the best i've ever seen. Great way to open up the series. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the characters and the storyline grow.:)

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 09:56 AM
They killed off Sumner..big mistake! They needed the strength and balance he provided as a leader..cause Weir certainly doesn't have it.

Well, that's YOUR opinion. I think it was kind of coming anyway, because Sumner was never supposed to be part of the Atlantis team, so it makes sense that Sheppard would eventually have be the highest ranking officer to lead the group. :)

My BIG problem was the way that they chose to have Sheppard kill Sumner. I don't see any advantage in that; the Wraith should have just killed him if he was supposed to die in the episode, not have Sheppard step in and do it. And Sheppard had just finished having that whole argument with Weir about "doing the right thing no matter how hard it is", etc... Oh, well... :(

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 10:00 AM
[i]My BIG problem was the way that they chose to have Sheppard kill Sumner. I don't see any advantage in that; the Wraith should have just killed him if he was supposed to die in the episode, not have Sheppard step in and do it. And Sheppard had just finished having that whole argument with Weir about "doing the right thing no matter how hard it is", etc... Oh, well... :(

It's so that he doesn't have to suffer more. There was nothing Sheppard could have done, and Sumner would have died anyway, so therefore shooting him was the most humane thing to do.

That's just happensto be how I feel about it. What do you think?=)

ThatGuyPSU
July 17th, 2004, 10:02 AM
[Rude remark about forum member snipped]

I've been a Trek fan since the days of TNG, but Statgate has converted me. The franchise is everything Trek should be... engaging, funny, serious, visually and cerebrally stimulating. You actually care about the characters because they aren’t all wooden cutouts of each other.

As far as Rising goes, I believe it’s one of the strongest Sci-Fi pilots I’ve ever seen. The producers did an excellent job of transitioning between series. The scene where Weir talks to her boyfriend, while not plausible from a national security standpoint, was an effective way to initiate those new to the franchise. The story moved on at a brisk pace, with plenty of surprises, twists, and turns, that pretty much left me on the edge of my seat. And the lines… I read online that one of the producers said that the unofficial mantra of Stargate is: “Saving the universe… one wisecrack at a time.” They definitely lived up to that and more. There were so many funny lines during those 2 hours I’ve lost count.

The special effects were top notch. It really felt like that city was underwater until it rose above ground (what a scene!) Since the city is so huge, I figure it will take at least a season or two to see all of it. I wonder what technology awaits them there… and what’s on the rest of the planet…

I liked the Wraith. They’re a formidable enemy who aren’t too powerful. Their mind tricks are pretty cool. By the way, am I the only one who thought the redhead was hot?

Many people were disappointed that Robert Patrick’s character was killed off. Although I like Patrick, this was a necessary evil to put Maj Sheppard in the fish-out-of-water situation that his characters needs to be in.

I’m not sure about Teyla’s character yet… she’s the only one I couldn’t get a read on… the rest made sense to me.

9.5/10

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 10:03 AM
I liked Telya. I liked her alot :)

Elwe Singollo
July 17th, 2004, 10:15 AM
It's so that he doesn't have to suffer more. There was nothing Sheppard could have done, and Sumner would have died anyway, so therefore shooting him was the most humane thing to do.

That's just happensto be how I feel about it. What do you think?=)I understand exactly, imo, it may not have been the most humane thing, because yah, thats just me, but i thought since he was in pain and suffering, and was bound to die, that was the best decision. :)

Simmons
July 17th, 2004, 10:56 AM
2.5/10

As Gateangel has stated, the characters are weak. They remind me of those on Enterprise- boring and without lives. There seems to be no depth to them and personally, I believe that their acting is terrible.

Wait for the big, bad-ass wraith... okay, the Atlantis team is able to sneak into enemy territory and put a good number of the wraith out of commission. If the ancients were so smart, why couldn't they figure out that a friggin machine gun and a couple of pounds of c4 could give them an upperhand in battle.- Here's an idea, Nuke the wraith homeworld!

Atlantis was a promising idea, only ruined, terribly, in my mind by the pilot episodes. It is destined to become another pathetic spin-off to be aired only on the WB.

Hyperspace
July 17th, 2004, 11:16 AM
10/10...the Stargate Atlantis pilot "Rising' was the best I've seen in years...far better than Enterprise's forgettable 'Broken Bow.'

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 11:19 AM

That's just happensto be how I feel about it. What do you think?=)
You mean "humane" as in talking about animals? Although I don't want to get into a huge discussion over this, no, I don't think it was the right thing to do. Sheppard had absolutely no way of knowing if Sumner would have died anyway, if he could have recovered/been healed, if he really wanted to be shot (not that it matters... :)), or if there was anything else he really could have done to save him. It doesn't matter how much temporary pain and suffering a person is in, it will eventually be over anyway, and no one has the right to kill someone else just because THEY think it is better. It really is just another type of murder.
Anyway, it seems to me like there were more than enough common-sense reasons for Sheppard not to kill Sumner. For starters, he just met the Wraith, and he really has no idea what they are actually capable of doing to someone, let alone whether or not the effects can be reversed. I mean, he obviously stood a chance in hand-to-hand combat, so there is another option he could have taken. He could have also taken a couple dozen shots at that Wraith's HEAD, and possibly distracted it enough to come up with another type of rescue plan. And does he really have any clue as to the vast amount of technology in Atlantis that could possibly help Sumner? The ancients could even have some mega-sarcophogus-thing capable of restoring Sumner to partial if not full health!
The point is that although his decision was on-the-spot and he didn't have much time to consider everything, it was definitely NOT the best decision he could have made while on a mission to rescue all of his teammates, and I think he finally did begin to realize that at the end of the show.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
You didn't notice the look Sumner gave Sheppard just before he shot him? For me that was his signal, and Sheppard knew what it meant.

tenthmile
July 17th, 2004, 11:46 AM
As Gateangel has stated, the characters are weak. They remind me of those on Enterprise- boring and without lives. There seems to be no depth to them and personally, I believe that their acting is terrible.

simmons, what exactly about the acting bothered you? i actually thought they did a rather good job... granted, paul mcgillion did give me flashbacks of chief engineers of yester-year, but i'll get over it. as far as character development, i can't imagine how they could have crammed that much more into the first two hours of the show's existence. even SG-1 took me a little while to warm up to them.

i've been a fan of david hewlett from his two stargate episodes, but tori higginson and joe flanigan really impressed me as well.

Xerom
July 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM
8/10
An excellent pilot..honestly i wasnt expecting much given the timeframe they were working with. Really looking forward to this series.

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 12:51 PM
You didn't notice the look Sumner gave Sheppard just before he shot him? For me that was his signal, and Sheppard knew what it meant.
Ummm... Does it matter? Even if Sumner wanted someone to kill him (which I'm still not convinced of - he looked more like he was about to slip into unconciousness than like he was signaling someone to shoot him), that doesn't mean that Sheppard should. In fact, It could even be argued that Sumner was not in his right mind, and thus was incapable of judging the situation properly. If Sumner had known that the team could have rescued him and taken him back to Atlantis (that was their mission, no?), I think he might have had some better ideas than signaling someone to put him down like a helpless animal. Once again, the point is that no matter how hard it seems (or is) to do the right thing, you should always do it, no matter how harsh you think the consequences may be. After all, isn't that what it means to truly be a hero? :D

Ancient
July 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM

ummm isnt Mckay from sg-1 along with weir so therefore doesnt the show have to pay royalties to the writers of the espisodes that developed those two truly indespensible characters in the first place because that was the whole arguement that Atlantis had to get off its feet on its own steam without using the stargate sg-1 franchise like jack and jackson are movie based. unlike teal'c and carter, but mckay and weir also arent movie based so dont they fall under SG-1 orignal material

Ancient
July 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Oh yea one more thing these two episodes rocked my World....100/10 lol 10 out of 10 it was simply amazing and the plot line isnt recycled at all. . so what if there are simulaties.. what do u want for them to shoot the dart down with a sling shot...

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Well, Weir doesn't, but Mckay falls under original SG-1 material. Weir was put into SG-1 after they already decided to have her character in Atlantis. Kind of an introduction to the character and give her a little background instead of starting a spinoff with characters we've never even seen.

Lightmaker
July 17th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I'm 49 and have watched a lot of Sci-Fi. It's my favorite type of show.

I was very pleased with the FX, the cast and everything about Atlantis, and I am hard to please. Don't get me started on Enterprise.

I really liked the little inside jokes and cast members who were there only because us hardcore Gaters would notice. I really think that some of the bloopers aren't bloopers at all but intentionally put there for our amusement. Some, not all!

Strange how I didn't take to the cast on the preview show, but I actually bought into the characters once the show started. That's something I still haven't been able to do with Enterprise.

BTW, Sumner did give the OK to be shot. I caught that.

Atlantis rising was also most excellent. I can't wait for next week either.

10/10 Excellent all around job!

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 01:49 PM
It would be interesting to hear some hardcore soliders opinion on the mercy killing.

Ancient
July 17th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Well, Weir doesn't, but Mckay falls under original SG-1 material. Weir was put into SG-1 after they already decided to have her character in Atlantis. Kind of an introduction to the character and give her a little background instead of starting a spinoff with characters we've never even seen.

good to know about weir thanxs for filling me in...I still liked her better as a tough cookie blonde then the push over red head

shockwave
July 17th, 2004, 02:04 PM
ummm isnt Mckay fomr sg-1 along with weir so therefore doesnt the show have to pay royalties to the writers of the espisodes that developed those two truly indespensible characters in the first place because that was the whole arguement that Atlantis had to get off its feet on its own steam without using the stargate sg-1 franchise like jack and jackson are movie based. unlike teal'c and carter, but mckay and weir also arent movie based so dont they fall under SG-1 orignal material

Carter and Teal'c (and Hammond) were created by Brad Wright and JONATHAN GLASSNER, who left after season 3. That's why they can't appear in the pilot. McKay was created by RCC, who is the showrunner of SG-1 (and so hasn't left the show).

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 02:13 PM
It would be interesting to hear some hardcore soliders opinion on the mercy killing.
Yes, it would. But unfortunately, not even their opinion* can change reality.
I know reality can be no fun, but then again, who said it was supposed to be?
...wait...hold on...don't answer that...
*note: opinion :)

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 02:15 PM
No, but they probably know more about how other soldiers feel about it.

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 02:20 PM
And just for the record, it's not mercy killing. It's still murder.
<sigh> I hate having to argue about these little things...

*EDIT* - Move this to immediately follow my previous message.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM

I don't agree with calling it murder. Although mercy killing sounds like we're talking about an animal.

puddlejumper747
July 17th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I don't agree with calling it murder. Although mercy killing sounds like we're talking about an animal.

...maybe we should start a new thread...
and why not? find me a more accurate term... I don't think there is one.
(Murder: the intentional killing of an innocent human being.) - What doesn't fit?

Ice^^Heat
July 17th, 2004, 02:26 PM
10/10

Absolutely loved it. Has a real cinema feel to it (music, special effects).

And who cares about Sam and Teal'C anyway? This is Atlantis not SG-1.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 02:27 PM
What are they going to call the SGA teams?

I mean in SG-1 its Sg-1-->22 I think.

What will they be called in Atlantis.

Hyperspace
July 17th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Well it isnt premediated manslaughter...this happened to be almost euthanasia. A mercy kill indeed.

Scruff
July 17th, 2004, 07:24 PM
If that event took place on Earth, there is a very real possibility that Shepard would face charges for murder under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. As an 11 year veteran of the US ARMY, I probably would have went for the head shot on the Wraith.

However, I do feel that Shepard did "do the right thing." He put Sumner out of his misery. The Wraith was unquestioningly killing him. By shooting Sumner, he prevented her from completely draining him and making herself stronger. With the fact that the Humans had just arrived at Atlantis and quite possibly had not discovered or even figured out how to use any medical technology and Earth medical technology definately couldn't save him, Shepard knew Sumner was a dead man regardless.

And of course the real reason is to complicate the character's life and make him question himself adding moral angst to the character.

VirtualCLD
July 17th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Loved it, I give it a 9/10!!

There a lot of quotes I could refer back to, but I don't feel like going through the entire thread to pick and choose all of the ones I want.

I do agree, in some ways, that Rising did feel a lot like CotG, there were many times where the plot parallelled the SG-1 pilot. There were many similarities, but some of it was different as well.

I didn't think the characters were all that shallow, but they do need room to grow. I was really hoping for a lot more with Ford? (the character than Rainbow plays), from the Lowdown he looked to be a really interesting character, especially since the actor is somewhat new and brings a different style to the screen.

I also felt the Sumner had to die (although how is a different story) in order for the show to work. I don't see how the story could progress (theatrically and realistically, since most of knew Shepard had to take command) with Sumner. As far how he died, from a couch perspective, I was thinking, "Shoot Sumner!" and you knew Shepard was going to do it when they had that long look at eachother. However, if I had been in Shepards shoes at the time, I don't think I would have done it. Whether it's because I'm too weak or because I'd like to think I value life, well you can decide which one. Of course, as Scruff said, it sets up a nice conflict for the character Shepard, allowing room to grow (I still think the other characters need to grow more than Shepard).

What else.... I liked McKay a lot, he seems to have changed from when we first met him in 48 Hours. Great line "Using Power, using Power, Using Power...." and "Chevron 1, encoded..." "Right."

As to the Wraith being "too" easy, I think they just had a couple dozen to deal with because the rest were in hibernation. Yeah, itwould have been nice to overload a naquada generator to create a nice big boom for them (see Scorched Earth), but they didn't plan that far ahead because they weren't sure what they were getting themselves into.

In any case, I'm hooked for quite some time. If the show really goes south, I may stop watching it, but I loved the pilot and I can't wait to see more!

Is it me, or did it feel very movie-like? I think I liked it a lot that way (could be more of the CotG feeling).

Praxus
July 17th, 2004, 08:25 PM

It's not murder, it is non-voluntery euthanasia. He was uncapable of making decision because he was dieing. It is no different then killing someone who is braindead.

cdoyle
July 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Hi,
I wasn't able to watch the entire episode, got home late. So I won't rate the episode, but I did see the last 20 minutes or so.

One thing I noticed, and thought it was strange. Maybe it was mentioned earlier in the episode.

but for the past 8 years on SG1, I'm sure the SG teams were able to collect weapons from numerous battles they were in. Well watching the episode last night, it seemed like they only brought earth weapons? Did they not bring any staff weapons or zats? You would think they would bring whatever weapons they could just to be on the safe side? Plus what happens when they run out of bullets? They can't just go back and get more.

Just seemed odd, I hope someone might know? The zats were always something I liked about SG1

July 17th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Just finished watching it! I can affirmatively say that this show can easily make it into my favorites list! Loved the show, even though the bad guys were sooo melodramatic :D

Just one question...When Sheppard & O'Neill were talking in the helicopter about Sheppard taking the assignment, what was that word Jack used? His line went something like this "This is not a long trip, but I'll be as ???cecint??? as possible". I looked it up, but I don't have the spelling right.

Anybody know it's spelling and/Or it's meaning?

Thanks,

Praxus
July 17th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Absolutely great show, can't wait to see next week's episode.

nomadtw
July 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM
ok on the euthenasia situation..
there was more to it than it just being a mercy killing, sumner was about to crack from the mind probing and torture and surrender the location of earth. am i the only one that remembers than, and on top of that he used nonverbal comunication to, not only tell sheppard to put him out of his misery, but to show that they had reached even terms, a mutual understanding of forgiveness for past events, if you will. (remember how they were basically enemies at the beginning)

as for the word that he used, which is something that bothered me abotu the episode more than anything else

the word is succinct
it means short and to the point.

jack would NEVER use a word like that, NEVER EVER, he would complain if daniel used the word and be like 'smaller words please'

edit:

oh yeah i give it 9/10

sure it recycled previous plot points, what show hasn't, especially in the sci fi genre. i wonder if they did it on purpose with such little variation as a kind of shout out to the long time fans to give ppl here and elsewhere something to pick at. As long as people are talking about the show people will watch the show even if it's to catch more goofs or whatever. it's when people stop talking about the show you need to worry.

the english thing doesn't bug me
i'd be pissed off if they wasted my time explaining the english thing, i can accept that it's a tv show and they can't afford to make up new languages for every world they visit, which is probably the bigger issue than anything else.

i felt for the characters, i felt they did a good job developing most of them, taiya bugs me i dont' know why but i don't like her.

so yeah, 9/10

N8iveTexan
July 17th, 2004, 10:37 PM
I think I'm going to rate it a 7 out of 10.

GhostPoet
July 17th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I don't get why this is a debate...it was obvious to me that the look he gave Shepard was a plea to be killed before the wraith freak could do it. I saw that right away in his eyes when he LOOKED AT HIM.

Madeleine
July 17th, 2004, 11:59 PM
This is a thread for rating the ep. It's nice to read people explaining why they rated it so, but I'd really hope all of you who've done that will post your views in the official thread(s) in the 'episodes' folder.

Any discussion or queries should go straight into the official thread.

Thanks,

Madeleine W

(Moderator)

puddlejumper747
July 18th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I don't get why this is a debate...it was obvious to me that the look he gave Shepard was a plea to be killed before the wraith freak could do it. I saw that right away in his eyes when he LOOKED AT HIM.
OK, I'm done arguing/debating this subject.
Don't misunderstand me, I've never said that Sheppard himself was, in this particular instance, guilty of murder, but that the act was definitely NOT the best possible solution, and unfortunately, still an objectively immoral murder, which I think Sheppard himself eventually did realize at the end of the show.
I think I made this point quite clear in my earlier posts, so if anyone else is still confused, please go back and read them. So far I have also heard no sustainable arguments against the information presented within my original posts, so if someone still wants to continue this discussion in a new thread, please feel free to go ahead and do so.

rpm44
July 18th, 2004, 02:00 PM
The only thing I didn't like was how easily they found out the gate address. They didn't explain it at all. I also thought they would bring some zats and staff weapons. They will eventually run out of bullets. For a pilot is was pretty good. I figured an ending for the final show already if it bombs (I don't think it won't thought) is they fly the city back to earth to study it. And Onell says wow cool city.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
The only thing I didn't like was how easily they found out the gate address. They didn't explain it at all. I also thought they would bring some zats and staff weapons. They will eventually run out of bullets. For a pilot is was pretty good. I figured an ending for the final show already if it bombs (I don't think it won't thought) is they fly the city back to earth to study it. And Onell says wow cool city.
You rather watch 2 hours of Daniel doing research to find the gate address to Atlantis...
Hmm lemme cross reference this to that and look up that in my computer. Hey look we found the first symbol to Atlantis's address.
Days later
We've found 6 symbols, but nothing is coming up, thats right lets look for a 7th.
Hours later
Eureka, its not in our Galaxy.
Blah blah blah, arrive in Atlantis.

Livi2Jack
July 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
It was MUCH better than I anticipated. Much. Maybe this thing will have life. I still think RDA should star or frequently guest star. Or at least TPTB should get a star. The actors were fine. Just no hook as in RDA.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 02:44 PM
No, but having him tell them how he found it doesn't have to take days.

Ugly Pig
July 18th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I loved Rising. I won't give it a rating other than the thumbs-up I gave it in the official episode thread (cause I generally don't like rating everything on a scale) but I thought the episode was great!