Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Chinese becomes Japanese in the movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Chinese becomes Japanese in the movie?

I've seen the Firefly series and noticed that the background decoration were often written in Chinese, in addition to the occasional lines of Mandarin.

I missed the Serenity movie in the theater and I'm definitely looking forward to it coming out on DVD but in my recent anticipation for the DVD, I found some screencaps of the movie where the signs and stuff on the inside of Serenity and a computer screen in which River was reading from appeared to be Japanese now.

Anyone else noticed that or know any reason for the change (other than the sort of obvious changes in set production people)?
    I just love shows about wormholes!

They probably still have many minor languages in the 'verse, as well as english and mandarin. River knew at least some latin, so perhaps she knew japanese too.

Madeleine

Comment

Most of the written stuff was in Japanese but they still spoke Chinese.

Comment

Also, Japanese writing is borrowed from Chinese, so there is a lot that is very similar. I haven't seen it yet either, but I'm guessing it could just be some kanji that are used in both languages.

Lt. Colonel Jason Richardson/Major Jen Stevens Shipper
        Lt. Colonel Jim Anderson/Major Kate Howard Shipper

"Tir gan teanga, tir gan anam." -Gaelic Proverb
        (A country without a language, a country without a soul.)

~RockinHobbit (MySpace)

Comment

it could be a slight mistake or maybe a different dialect of chinese

Comment

As far as I can tell, they only spoke Mandarin in the film.
            As for Japanese, it is possible that that they did use some decorative kanji or katakana (like the Matrix)... but of the bits that I can remember they used Chinese. I think someone has already said that kanji is derived from the Chinese language.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

wish I could understand what they are saying when they are talking in Mandarin....I do not know any Chinese or Japanese.
              All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
              Pay it forward

Comment

To answer my own question, after having watch/study the DVD is this. The spoken language in the movie is still mandarin (or attempt to be mandarin). As for the background words, there were definitely some Japanese in the background, such as the yellow door inside Serenity (and I don't think it was there in the TV show). However, stuff like that oaty bar commercial is completely in Chinese. As for River's computer screen, there were two columns with one in simplified Chinese while the other in Japanese.
                I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                  wish I could understand what they are saying when they are talking in Mandarin....I do not know any Chinese or Japanese.
                  So do I... and I speak Chinese... I think Alan Tudyk's accent is probably the best.
                  Try this website...
                  The translations are pretty good...
                  http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/index.html
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

The oaty bar commercial was not in Chinese, the song was taken from a real Japanese commercial.

Comment

Guys the director really wasn't to big on the alternate languages all he wanted to get across was the fact that the U.S., and China merged to become a big power togheter. Watch the comentary if you don't believe me. So the whole point whether it was Chinese or Japanese or Mardniard doesn't matter. Its not curcial to the film.
                      Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Working...
                      X