This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient fighters?

ok I posted this question in the ask joe thread already but i decided to make a dicussion about it here too.
    Are/were the puddle jumpers just ment to be a means of transportation for the ancients of atlantis, as in civilian vechiles opposed to military fighters? To me it seems they wer'nt ment for military purposes and just had drones on board in case of emergencies and self defence. Are we ever going to see purpose built ancient fighters similar to the death gliders or darts?? Or do you think that its just going to be jumpers.
    I also wondered about ancient warships like the Aoura(sp) did they have fighter bays and would they have again been pj's or purpose built fighters.

we'll see in inferno

Comment

PJ are "gateships", not military vessels. My guess is that PJs were used by the ancients to get around the homeworld and to go through the gate, to check on a civilization's progress.

In inferno
      Spoiler:
      we may see some ancient fighters and/or different weaponary

Comment

-twitches- Must....not....look....at....spoilers.....
        *Sorry for such a small post, trying to go spoiler free, especially for SG-1, Atlantis I seemed to have screwed it up a little...*

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

With drones that can track down and destroy individual ships(Inc. Small fighter Craft. Ref:TLC pt.2) why would the Ancients need fighters at all might I ask?

Comment

Kudos AscendedTimes on staying free of those dirty dirty spoilers... there was a support group for our kind a while back, but the thread died out, maybe i should find it and start it up....

While im sure we will see ancient fighters, because this is a tv show with writers... i could see how there wouldnt be. This was an untouched galaxy. The ancients didn't need to fight, they needed to get around. Think of PJs as cars! They had weapons because the ancents werent completely stupid, better safe then sorry, and considering their tech level, a few drone were probably enough to take care of anything assuming a non-swarmed scenario.

Also, you remember, this is why they lost... they were outnumbered and not prepared!

GH

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
            DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Nero
              With drones that can track down and destroy individual ships(Inc. Small fighter Craft. Ref:TLC pt.2) why would the Ancients need fighters at all might I ask?
              Because you may need to attack somthing that is beyound the maximum range of the drones. In that case you would need to transport the drones close enough to the target so that the drones will be in range.

Its the same reason why a nation that has surface to air missles would still have an air force. Surface to air missles have a range of less than 100 miles. The combat radius of a fighter is several times that (extact amount will varry with fighter modle and its configutation) plus they can attack more than one target.

Comment

"Because you may need to attack somthing that is beyound the maximum range of the drones. In that case you would need to transport the drones close enough to the target so that the drones will be in range.

Its the same reason why a nation that has surface to air missles would still have an air force. Surface to air missles have a range of less than 100 miles. The combat radius of a fighter is several times that (extact amount will varry with fighter modle and its configutation) plus they can attack more than one target."

Spoilers below:::::
                The Ancients had large scale warships to deploy drones(Aurora). I actually couldn't forsee a situation where Either the Larger ships or puddle jumpers wouldn't suffice.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Nero, the ancient PJs at max speed are only slightly faster than wraith vessals on their way to a culling. They dont hav much in the way of weaponary (just the 8 drones or whatever it carries)and im quite sure they arent too good on the handling either (large turning circle). Fighters are needed for some jobs that a drone nor PJ can combat, an example of a mission is a "quick-response, long duration fighting period.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. All the Ancients would need is for one of their warships to jump into the vicinity of the target, then let loose with it's drones. No need for fighters.
                    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

"Because you may need to attack somthing that is beyound the maximum range of the drones. In that case you would need to transport the drones close enough to the target so that the drones will be in range.

Its the same reason why a nation that has surface to air missles would still have an air force. Surface to air missles have a range of less than 100 miles. The combat radius of a fighter is several times that (extact amount will varry with fighter modle and its configutation) plus they can attack more than one target."

Spoilers below:::::
                      Spoiler:
                      The Ancients had large scale warships to deploy drones(Aurora). I actually couldn't forsee a situation where Either the Larger ships or puddle jumpers wouldn't suffice.
                      Spoiler:
                      The aurora was a science ship

IMO the ancients did have fighters, its just that atlantis is still in its infancy and we cant have that type of military power yet

The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Gees this is just one big spoiler fest!

But i'm not complaining

Comment

Gees this is just one big spoiler fest!

But i'm not complaining

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                            IMO the ancients did have fighters, its just that atlantis is still in its infancy and we cant have that type of military power yet

I agree, by giving us ancient fighters (which are probably very powerful) in the first 2 seasons of the series it would give the atlantians too much of an advantage against some of the wraith vessels. and CHEL NAK GUY we heard u the first time

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                              My thoughts exactly. All the Ancients would need is for one of their warships to jump into the vicinity of the target, then let loose with it's drones. No need for fighters.
                              One warship is a single big target that is easily swarmed and has to split up its firepower to attack multiple targets. It is also a large investent in material and personnel. When you lose a warship you are loosing thousands of tons of material and hundreds of personnel. When you lose a fighter you only lose a few tons of material and one or only two personel. If you had to intercept a force of 100 wraith ships which would you rather send 1 warship or 25 fighters?

Could you just imagine the potential of an ancient fighter if the ancient had really put technology into it. A hypespace capeable, sheilded, cloakable fighter with 2-3 times the drone capacity of the jummper and a scaled down version of the beam cannon used on the deffence sat.

Comment

Working...
                              X