This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Clone Heralds Demise of SG-1

My humble opinion: New cast, new galaxy - everything else the same. Good guys vs bad guys - we traded Wraiths for Goa'ulds, that's all. I'm betting Season 8 is merely a transition to Atlantis. It's good bye to our favorite Stargate team. I am so disappointed.
    Don't get me wrong, the show was well written (same song, different verse), well acted, graphics were exceptional.

The best characters in Rising were killed off - the wraith and Robert Patrick as Col. Marshall Sumner.

I think we've been had, though! We've been given Dr. Weir (not very believable in Rising) and a younger cast as next season's replacements for our beloved RDA, Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge and Michael Shanks.

I feel like I'm being trapped into watching Atlantis just because it will carry on the story line. I'll have to choose whether to be sucked in or just enjoy SG-1 for it's last season and go on to other scifi shows like 4400, Dead Zone, etc.

I agree with the Atlantis cast being too young it seems, to be the predessesor of SG-1, maybe there will be some tie-ins later on with actors from SG-1 wanting to continue on in Atlantis..

you can only hope..

Comment

I was wondering if the SGC folks go away, how will the Atlantis team members ever be able to get back to Earth? Who will be there to open the gate?

Comment

In the future earth sells it's gate to Starbucks (the real threat)....there's one on every corner...soon on every planet with a gate?!?

Comment

LOL Starbucks is obsolete...it's WalMart that will own all Stargates!!!

As for SG-1 being rendered redundant by Atlantis, I hope not...the best example I can point to is Star Trek, where The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine ran simultaneously; then Deep Space Nine and Voyager. With DS9 the epic, station-based story vs. TNG and VGR as the ship-based exploration series, there was sufficient difference to keep my interest.

Mind you, the 'overkill' of two series on at the same time, and actually three series on in a 3-year period, probably resulted in fan burnout and poor quality stories for VGR...but DS9 did great.

So with Atlantis, I see it as more similar to DS9...with a central, 'alien' outpost whereas SG-1 will be able to continue its Milky Way Adventures.

One thing that bothers me a bit is having both shows on the same Friday nights...now the producers HAVE to be thinking about those of us (even time-management obsessed me) who will be watching both shows, back to back.
          sigpic

Comment

The best characters in Rising were killed off - the wraith and Robert Patrick as Col. Marshall Sumner.
            THe wraith are not dead

Comment

Originally posted by fifthmember
              My humble opinion: New cast, new galaxy - everything else the same. Good guys vs bad guys - we traded Wraiths for Goa'ulds, that's all. I'm betting Season 8 is merely a transition to Atlantis. It's good bye to our favorite Stargate team. I am so disappointed.
              Don't get me wrong, the show was well written (same song, different verse), well acted, graphics were exceptional..
              I think it's just a little too early to write off Atlantis after only 2 hours. One bottle downed does not make a 6-pack of Guinness half empty. It just whets your appetite for the other 5 ... or the other 11 if you take into account your reserve.

All stories have good guys vs bad guys/things/nature/tax audits or there's no conflict and no drama. Oh, wait ... there's also no real story, either. ;>

What's wrong with SG1 Season 8 wrapping up loose ends and starting a few new ones that get unravelled with Atlantis??

I'm hoping that we've FINALLY traded in the Egyptian mythology for a little more Celtic and Native American [re: Mound-builders] mythos. There is so much that's been sitting there untapped by TPTB for 7 seasons. Even a little more Babylonian and early Greek, since we are talking about Atlantis. And we've got to have a few "intellectual" shows to make up for blowing all that money on those fabulous graphics for the city. I could ramble on [more] incoherently about the aesthetics about the new set and raising of the city but you've probably stopped reading this far, anyhow.

The best characters in Rising were killed off - the wraith and Robert Patrick as Col. Marshall Sumner..
              We'll see that version of the wraith again. The make-up and costume was too cool for a one-off. Robert Patrick costs too much to make a regular in Atlantis. He did a great job, but he's a "name" and unless he's got a deal like RDA [production company, various residuals, etc.], it would be bad business for him to do the job at a lower salary.

I think we've been had, though! We've been given Dr. Weir (not very believable in Rising) and a younger cast as next season's replacements for our beloved RDA, Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge and Michael Shanks..
              How has ST:TNG, DS 9, or Voyager made the original Star Trek cast less beloved? They were all replacements -- some younger, but most unknown -- for Kirk, Spock, Scotty, McCoy, Uhuru, Chekov, Sulu, Chapel, and the rest of the gang. Hasn't the aging of the Star Trek and Star Wars casts been the topic of various discussions among the fans and professional critics?

We've been watching the SG1 cast age before our eyes. How much longer are they and the writers going to be able to keep the quality of the show at it's usually high standard. It would be better for them to quit while they're on top instead of limping along after "jumping the shark."

I feel like I'm being trapped into watching Atlantis just because it will carry on the story line. I'll have to choose whether to be sucked in or just enjoy SG-1 for it's last season and go on to other scifi shows like 4400, Dead Zone, etc.
              Come on ... kick back, have another pint and let's see what happens next week.
              RDA: "It may be balsa, but it's still wood."

Comment

I was wondering if the SGC folks go away, how will the Atlantis team members ever be able to get back to Earth? Who will be there to open the gate?
                SG-1 (as in that particluar team makeup) may not go on forever, but the SGC wouldn't be going anywhere. As long as there is a gate, there will have to be some center dedicated to using/protecting it.

BTW, I really liked Rising and I can't wait to see how it develops. SG-1 was/is going to end...there's no surprise there. It can't go on forever as a show, so I don't see how Atlantis makes that any more or less likely.
                Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                once done, cannot be undone...
                brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I think it is very obvious that there will be visits and maybe even some long term visits to Atlantis from SG-1. Hence Daniel offereing to get his stuff and go one more time at the last minute. I thought the show was well set up and the cast has the potential to be very strong. It will surely take time to develop and get to know them as we have SG-1. I would love to see them really explore the city and see what it looks like. Are there homes that were abandoned? Anything left behind by the ancients. It will be interesting to see.
                  Beth

Comment

I suppose there was a little of the "out with the old, in with the new" feel to the Atlantis premiere. Especially with Jack and Daniel waving goodbye from the control room. Kind of like they were sending the kids off to "storm the castle".

But you know they've made no bones that Atlantis is intended to be the replacement series. SG-1 is getting too expensive to make with the rising contractual costs involved and RDA's limited availability has made production more difficult the last couple of years.

Atlantis will still be tied to the Stargate premise and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make contact with the SGC/home at some point in the series. I wouldn't even be surprised to see some SG-1 cast members make crossover appearances down the road once they solve that pesky power problem. And there's always the possibility for a movie or miniseries for the original SG-1 cast.

At this point I liked most of the new Atlantis cast and characters and am curious to find out more about them. I also intend to fully enjoy the last 18 episodes with SG-1. It's been a great ride.
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                    X