PDA

View Full Version : John O'Neill???

airdish
July 16th, 2004, 09:28 PM
At first I was going to post about how I thought I misread the card that Jack sent with the booze. I thought I had either misread it or that TPTB wanted to expand the character of O'Neill some. Now I see from the omnipedia that is name is Jonathan O'Neill. :eek: Did the whole history of the show get rewritten without me? Shouldn't they send a meno about this? This is the first time for me to know this and I own the movie, all the DVDs, and I watch the show whenever I can. There can be only one answer: I am right and everyone else has always been wrong. :o So from now one his offical name is Jack O'Neill. Not John or Jake or anything else. Got it?

EYU86
July 16th, 2004, 09:33 PM
What...

Erik Pasternak
July 16th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Jack is short for Jonathan

EYU86
July 16th, 2004, 09:54 PM
I thought John was short for Jonathan...
Jack is short for... Jackington
lol

Andy867
July 16th, 2004, 09:55 PM
According to the RDAnderson.com, his character name is Jonathan "Jack" O'Neill:)

EYU86
July 16th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Okie Dokie

grinnbearit
July 16th, 2004, 09:56 PM
yeah Jack for some strange reason is a nickname for John / Jonathan

EYU86
July 16th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Just like Bob is short for Robert.
Language is so weird

airdish
July 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM
ya, I knew that Jack could be used for John. I didn't know that his name was John.

Teal'c
July 17th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Jack's real name is John (Not Jonathan, there are many people that will tell those are two different names) it was in his file in Entity and on his ID card in Fragile Balance...

OzGirl
July 17th, 2004, 05:18 AM
I thought John was short for Jonathan...
Jack is short for... Jackington lol

Yeah, I don't know how these nicknames come about. Had an Uncle John
who was always called "Jack," just like Jack Kennedy, former president.

Another weird one from the "old days" was "Peggy" as a nickname for
"Margaret" --- and "Dot" for "Dorothy.

Me? They simply called me Spaz. LOL

Melyanna
July 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Margaret > Maggie > Meg > Peggy. ;)

Most likely there have just been some mistakes in the effects department, with some people assuming that Jack is a nickname for John instead of Jonathon. It's not the first time this has happened. If I remember correctly, there's a shot in the movie of a certificate in Jack's son's room, and the name on it is Taylor O'Neal (with that spelling). The person who wrote "Cold Lazarus" was probably given a script of the movie and therefore didn't know that the son had a name, and thus named him Charlie.

*shrugs* It happens.

Hyperspace
July 17th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Speaking of which, someone on the Trekbbs board said that the champagne bottle was goofed and said "Col" instead of "Gen" Jack O'Neill. True?

Nolamom
July 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
I don't think it had either title - just Bon Voyage and his name.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Jack O'Niell
-Bon Voyage

thats all that it said.

zeta101
July 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM
anyone notice how the handwriting on the tag seemed to be different (if memory serves me correctly) to the handwriting on the note in the SG1 ep "2010"?

Ofcourse, its a silly thing, but it would have been nice if RDS had actually written both notes.

drew571
July 17th, 2004, 08:08 PM
It said..
"Bon Voyage!
General Jack O'Neill"

Erik Pasternak
July 17th, 2004, 08:11 PM
anyone notice how the handwriting on the tag seemed to be different (if memory serves me correctly) to the handwriting on the note in the SG1 ep "2010"?

Ofcourse, its a silly thing, but it would have been nice if RDS had actually written both notes.I'm betting that you just typed 's' instead of 'a' LOL! But, according to my memory, they did look almost the same!

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Stop nit-picking so much, the whole hand-writing thing is getting outta hand.
lol :)

NightGloom
July 17th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Well, I think the note on the bottle was written in a thicker pen too...

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Really, how thick?
I think about 1/2 cm thick.
That probably falls along the line of maybe a highlighter type marker.
Or maybe SHUT UP.
lol :)

airdish
July 17th, 2004, 08:56 PM
It said..
"Bon Voyage!
General Jack O'Neill"

did you tape or tivo it, 'cus i could swear it said
"Bon Voyage!
General John O'Neill"

I would think he would use his real name for something like that. make it offical and add some class. maybe it is just me...

Ace
July 17th, 2004, 09:06 PM
did you tape or tivo it, 'cus i could swear it said
"Bon Voyage!
General John O'Neill"

I would think he would use his real name for something like that. make it offical and add some class. maybe it is just me...

It says Jack! ;) I took a couple of looks at it, and the first time I looked at it, I thought it said "Josh" but I knew that wasn't right. The 'k' wasn't closed so it made it appear, at least to me, like an 'h'. Anyway it takes a close look but it does indeed say:

"Boy Voyage!
General Jack O'Neill"

Ace

airdish
July 17th, 2004, 10:47 PM
and i thank you

puddlejumper747
July 19th, 2004, 07:34 AM
It said..
"Bon Voyage!
General Jack O'Neill"
What he said!!
I just watched the episode again, and paused it to examine the note. The words may be a little sloppy, but they definitely read GENERAL JACK O'NEILL. Once again, no production goof. And nobody said that he HAD to have written the note himself. Maybe he just requested a personalized message/ribbon on the bottle when he ordered it, and someone else wrote it for him. You can always find excuses for these little things if you try hard enough. :D

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 07:37 AM
only have to look at the G to see that it's General and not Colonel :D

Greesha
July 19th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Speaking of which, someone on the Trekbbs board said that the champagne bottle was goofed and said "Col" instead of "Gen" Jack O'Neill. True?

i thought it said "colonel" too...maybe it's not just me.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Maybe if they spell Colonel Golonel...

aschen
July 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM
At first I was going to post about how I thought I misread the card that Jack sent with the booze. I thought I had either misread it or that TPTB wanted to expand the character of O'Neill some. Now I see from the omnipedia that is name is Jonathan O'Neill. :eek: Did the whole history of the show get rewritten without me? Shouldn't they send a meno about this? This is the first time for me to know this and I own the movie, all the DVDs, and I watch the show whenever I can. There can be only one answer: I am right and everyone else has always been wrong. :o So from now one his offical name is Jack O'Neill. Not John or Jake or anything else. Got it?

I CURSE YOU! This has totally re-written everything...I.... OH GOD DAMMIT! :S

SaberBlade
July 19th, 2004, 09:36 AM
since when has Jack's first name been Jonathon? is it something carried over from the movie or something done for the show?

http://img9.exs.cx/img9/8035/champagne.jpg

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 09:38 AM
It was Johnathan according to the credits in the movie.

karluk
July 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
jack is his middle name, look at the credits on movie. i get called karl cause i prefer it but my name is dean karl lewthwaite, some people just prefer there middle name.

SaberBlade
July 19th, 2004, 09:46 AM
It was Johnathan according to the credits in the movie.

your right.

i can't believe i missed that (or forgot it, it has been a long time since i have seen the movie).

http://img9.exs.cx/img9/4391/jonathon.jpg

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Damn, you totally spoiled the end of the movie there. :D

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:49 AM
You can probably see his name in his file in Entity too.

Janus
July 19th, 2004, 10:23 AM
your right.

i can't believe i missed that (or forgot it, it has been a long time since i have seen the movie).

Has anybody noticed that there is an 'Anubis' in these credits as well ?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:23 AM
You are a few years late Janus =)

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 10:24 AM
O man, good eye!

airdish
July 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
http://img9.exs.cx/img9/8035/champagne.jpg

see to me the k looks like an h. what got me was the a sort of looks like an o when you just see it for a second. I am still not sure it doesn't say Josh instead of Jack. Not that it matters at all, it is just crazy how I thought I was reading it wrong and it turns out that it was somewhat correct.

puddlejumper747
July 19th, 2004, 11:49 AM
see to me the k looks like an h. what got me was the a sort of looks like an o when you just see it for a second. I am still not sure it doesn't say Josh instead of Jack. Not that it matters at all, it is just crazy how I thought I was reading it wrong and it turns out that it was somewhat correct.
So the messy cursive K looks like an H.
News Flash: BIG DEAL. Get over it. Please. :)
Examine the picture all you want. It may not be the neatest signature, but it still says "Colonel Jack O'Neill". Anyone here gonna tell me you've NEVER written your own name sloppily before? And as I said before, he may have even asked someone else to just write down it for him, so it may not even BE his actual signature. People can make little mistakes. I think it's called <gasp> Human Error. :)
Explain it however you want, but PLEASE stop arguing about it.

*EDIT* - Sorry, I meant General, not Colonel. I already said General in my previous posts. I think you're all just confusing me... :)

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 11:51 AM
I still say it says General, not Colonel.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 11:51 AM
I think we've established that already.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Yes, I do, because 1 liners are nice and simple.

airdish
July 19th, 2004, 02:02 PM
calm down

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 02:03 PM
calm down
why don't you calm down ;)

Ace
July 19th, 2004, 02:04 PM
calm down

Things will not calm down, infact things will calm up! :D

Thought maybe some advice from Teal'c would help ;)

Ace