This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis -- Not So Bad (SPOILERS)

I honestly thought that I wouldn't like it -- but I did. I thought the characters were (mostly) interesting. I'm not real keen on Dr Weir (here's hoping she doesn't turn into another I-can-do-anything-Janeway), but with some good writing she could be interesting.

The weapons guy is ok, but seems like he's there more for comedic relief at this point. The geek (takes a geek to know a geek) I would have thought would be more...geeky. The alien chick, well who knows? At least the writers have given her a brain, so there's hope she could be more than 8-of-9.

And then there's Flannigan...I like him. I like that they made him a sort of unwilling hero and that you know he'd be happier staying on Earth. That's something I think (yeah, like I have _any_ say) should be played up as the series goes on. Leaving one's home and moving to a whole 'nuther culture, much less galaxy should be a big deal and should cause every normal person some anguish. It's a great character aspect to play off.

As for the show, I liked the graphics, the ships flying through the stargates and the fact that the people were mostly trying to figure stuff out instead of having it all just work.

The Wraiths are pretty stupid. One of the most interesting things about the G'ould is that they can take over a person -- there's always a threat of not just death, but a living death (so to speak). It's a more human sort of enemy, the enemy within. The Wraiths are just uglies out of some first-person shooter. I hope the writers will pick up the nuance and come up with some truly intelligent, bad, bad guys (and girls, of course!)

But hey, not bad for a first ep. Way, WAY better than Enterprise...of course that's not saying much.

So if any writers or the actors are reading, nice work and I hope you keep the development going. SG-* is the last intelligent sci-fi left, imo, except maybe Farscape.

D.

"Not So Bad?" That has to be the understatement of the century. That show rocked. And I couldn't even stand an episode of Farscape so I have to say that in comparison Farscape is knocked out of the water (even when compared to Enterprise).
    Rocky

Comment

Stargate > Farscape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.... Enterprise
      It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
        Stargate > Farscape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.... Enterprise
        What the heck does that mean?
        Rocky

Comment

order of good to >> bad I guess

Comment

I had high expectations going into this premiere, mainly due to the excellent SG-1 season opener the weak previous. Usually high expectations = inevitable disappointment.

But Atlantis rocked!!!! It had action, humor, suspense, hints of the relationships to come between the characters, sci-fi fantasy elements, and beautiful visuals. Amazing.

I wonder what the budget for that ep was? It was better than many a scifi big screen flick!
            sigpic

Comment

Why does everyone think that Weir=janeway!?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I am so beyond happy with Atlantis. It rocked. I thought Weir (I keep almost typing Weird) was an interesting character. As much as it made me roll my eyes when she talked about trying to negotiate with the Wraith it made sense for her character.

By weapons expert I'm guessing you mean Lt. Ford? I thought he was there for much more than just comic relief. He's there to kick some alien butt and he saved Sheppard's tail.

I definetly think this series is worthy of the name Stargate.

Comment

I thought Atlantis rocked too! Much better then the SG1 season premiere! Very good! I cant wait! This show could be more arcish! lets see where they take it.
                  "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

SPOILERS!

It was pretty good. But like a lot of people on here, I think that Weir is too much like Janeway. I'm hoping that her character develops over the season.

The Wraith, I agree. Pretty stupid. The Goa'uld were much better, but maybe the writers will be able to do something with them. Or they kill them all off, and another enemy shows itself. Oh well, thats just wishful thinking.

I really liked the new Wormhole graphics. They hadn't updated them since the Stargate movie, so I was glad to see that they finally changed! I guess it made it more like "worm" hole, so to speak. The Puddle Jumpers were great, and I loved the way Sheppard could think something, and it would happen. Too bad about that Turkaey Sandwich, though.

The characters were pretty good, though Sheppard was too much of the young, handsome pilot with the "zippy lines". McKay and Beckett are my favorites, and Ford was pretty good as well. Teyla was pretty good too, but there was too much of a relationship with her and Sheppard right from the beginning. They should have developed that over ther season.

The whole idea of leaving Earth and never returning was a great idea, and I'm glad that they did it voluntarily, unlike Star Trek: Voyager. They plot is pretty good, but the premier was rushed. Still, over-all it was ok, and I liked the way they did it.
                    Beckett: How come I never make any friends like that?
                    McKay: You need to get out more.
                    Beckett: We're in the Pegasus galaxy! How much further out can I get?

Comment

Judging the Goa'uld vs Wraith after the first ep of both shows, I'd say the Wraith are cooler. The Goa'uld grew over time.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread down since the official episodes threads are up and running.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                        X