X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Drop-Down Banner Ads Disabling Links

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that the new banner ads that drop down and cover up parts of the menu, make those menus unusable after you dismiss them, forcing you to reload the page?

I find this incredibly aggravating. I'm using firefox right now, on a PC (I've got Safari with Saft at home on my mac so no worries there), could someone please reccomend a tool that would disable these frustrating ads?

Any help is welcome.
    Last edited by MASON; 13 December 2005, 06:22 AM.

Originally posted by MASON
    Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that the new banner ads that drop down and cover up parts of the menu, make those menus unusable after you dismiss them, forcing you to reload the page?

I find this incredibly aggravating. I'm using firefox right not, on a PC (I've got Safari with Saft at home on my mac so no worries there), could someone please reccomend a tool that would disable these frustrating ads?

Any help is welcome.
    I find these ads incredibly irritating - blocks part of the forum, and even cripples the log-in boxes at times!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

You can use the firefox extension adblock but Darren disapproves of its use
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

I haven't encountered any such ad yet. What resolution are you running at, and do you keep the window maximized?

Edit: I also have NoScript which may be blocking any javascript not hosted on the gateworld servers. I find NoScript is a great way to block intrustive and resource hogging ads (it also blocks Flash and Java) without blocking normal banner ads.
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i haven't run into it either, but i've turned off the flash player in IE, so that could be why.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
            Thanks, I found it. Problem solved.

Comment

Arg. I'm running into this problem as well. Methinks it's time to go find adblock...
              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

i've let darren know. it's up to him to talk to the ad company and see if anything can be done
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                  At present, the ad completely disables everything 'Welcome, Mio', and above. I actually like to be able to access other areas of gateworld, and the 'My Controls' button, and 'Search' every now and then....

It's really pissing me off. It deserves to be blocked.

Of course, I'm only blocking the flash ones, I promise.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah it just happened to me too:s

Comment

The "Serenity" ad blocks part of the forum too.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

And the Exorcist one...
                        "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                        My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                          I find these ads incredibly irritating - blocks part of the forum, and even cripples the log-in boxes at times!
                          Really? I had no idea this was happening until I read about it in the ask the mods thread. This is because I never log out when I leave so I never have to log in and I my aol browser blocks ads so I haven't seen any. I think xp firewall might do the same if you adjust the settings.
                          sigpic

Comment

oh hehe. They have a thread about it!

It took me 30 minutes and 30 tries to log in because of the stupid banner! And sometimes I can't click on links on the top of the page.

Comment

Another Idea would be to disable you flash player while you are browsing here
                              *shrug* it is a short fix if you go to other sites that use flash or want to watch anything that requires flash. You will have to enable it again everytime you want to use it. Skydiver gave me this idea and it has helped me

this is in the answer thread as well
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                              X