• Show
Clear All

Serenity only $1 million short of breaking even

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm

Production Budget: $39 million

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
    Domestic: $25,374,750 66.7%
    + Overseas: $12,680,355 33.3%
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    = Worldwide: $38,055,105
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Which just goes to show you, the box office is not always a great measure of how good a film is....
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Still sucks a lot, as do people - Serenity was better Sci Fi then Episode 3 (don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Episode 3)... well, with DVD sales it should start pulling in a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
        Still sucks a lot, as do people - Serenity was better Sci Fi then Episode 3 (don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Episode 3)... well, with DVD sales it should start pulling in a profit.
        No doubt. Especially when you count all of the new boxsets that will be sold combining the whole series with Serenity. Or people who will buy the series if they rent the movie and like it, etc...

Now, if we can just get a Chronicles of Riddick 2 somehow...

Comment

I'm planning on buying it
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I'm buying two versions; the R1 version when its released in the US (gotta love Amazon.com) and the shinier, better R4 version when its released here in Australia. I know a lot of people are doing the same thing.

Serenity's gonna break the bank in DVD sales, just you wait.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
              I'm buying two versions; the R1 version when its released in the US (gotta love Amazon.com) and the shinier, better R4 version when its released here in Australia. I know a lot of people are doing the same thing.

Serenity's gonna break the bank in DVD sales, just you wait.
              What's this 'shinier better version' you talk about? Explain

Comment

I'm surprised it will just break even in theatrical release although no doubt will sell lots of dvds. It was a very good film and here in the UK it had great revues. It stood very well on it's own, I had never seen the series and now can't wait to catch up with it.

Comment

Amazing and interesting!!!

Now that's a cool site.
                  sigpic

Comment

ill be buying the dvd but its so long to wait february is ages away

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                      What's this 'shinier better version' you talk about? Explain
                      The Reigon 4 version, which is released in Australia, Mexico, The Carribean and South America. Its two-discs, with a bunch of extra special features.
                      This was originally posted on the Serenity Oz forum (www.serenitymovie.com.au):

Originally posted by Universal Pictures
                      Dear Browncoats,

We have noticed from recent forum discussions that dvdbits.com have listed the bonus features that will be available on the Australian Serenity DVD so we thought it was high time we confirmed the likely disc configuration in terms of content. Here it is then:

DISC 1
                      - The film itself (obviously! There may be some problems if we left this off!!)
                      - Deleted Scenes
                      - Outtakes
                      - Future History: That Story of Earth That Was
                      - What's In A Firefly
                      - Re-lighting The Firefly
                      - Joss Whedon Introduction
                      - Feature Commentary
                      - Easter Egg - We'll Have A Fruity Oaty Good Time
                      - A Filmmakers Journey: Journey with Joss from Script to Screen (this will be on all international DVDs but not the US version)

DISC 2 (at present, this disc is exclusive to Australia and Benelux - Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg - only but other international territories may decide to release the 2nd disc as well)
                      - Joss Whedon Q&A Session filmed at FOX Studios in Sydney
                      - Extended Scenes
                      - Take a Walk on Serenity: Cast & Crew take us on a special tour of the Serenity ship
                      - The Green Clan: Feature on Cinematographer Jack Green and his team

As mentioned above, this is the likely configuration but please note that this may be subject to changes.

We have also noticed that some proposed sleeve artwork has been posted on the site as well. Please note that this artwork is yet to be approved so may not be final. We are also looking into a couple of packaging options that may be exclusive to a couple of our retail partners and we will update you on this as soon as we can.

All in all, we are really happy with the way the DVD is coming together and we can't wait for Feb 8!

Stay tuned for more updates!

Comment

I'll tell you this, people who didn't go to see this movie were sure missing out. Definitely an awesome flick. And a great way to continue a great series. I can't wait for Dec. 20th.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

people who didn't go and see this need to be a shamed of themselves.

i think that the movie will be more of a DVD hit than a box office hit but i am disappointed that it didn't make a profit.

sigpic

Comment

Well the DVD goes on sale here December 20th and we'll see how it does then. I for one will be buying mine the day it goes on sale. If it has strong DVD sales perhaps that will bode well for future movies and/or series. Joss himself has said that they were waiting to see how it performs in DVD sales.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I don't get it. Everyone I know who went to see it said it was great. Every review I read said it was great. I thought it was great. My sister thought it was great. Did I miss a bunch of bad reviews, or was that just a bad time for a movie to come out?
                              Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

Working...
                              X