Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1-2 people running capital ships... so funny!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-2 people running capital ships... so funny!

I have to say one of the biggest gripes I have, and one that I often laugh about, is how a capital ship is supposed to be run by a crew. Often, you DO see a crew, so that's fine. But then, some episodes the "crew" turns into 1 or 2 people... yet they can STILL run the capital ship with the same effectiveness... its really funny.

The perfect example (I just watched it) is in Reckoning, Part II, Teal'c and one other Jaffa are running a Ha'Tak and fighting against a Replicator armada, while on Ba'al's ships you see a large crew.

Not to say the rebel Jaffa don't have many members (because they do!), but I think its totally unrealistic when they keep doing this at random... its like one episode they have a full crew, then in another suddenly you have 1 or 2 running an entire ship.

Sigh... guess that's sci fi TV for you. lol

Well on HA'taks, the other jaffa on board, most are for invasions, and some would be more manitance crews.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

I agree It's a bit odd, but remember, the goa'uld conquer each other, so will need to have a battalion of Jaffa to fight. Think of the Ha'taks as troop carriers.
      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I always wonder how Thor can run a ship all by himself. Even with advanced Asgard technology, come on. But you know, you've just got to ignore that stuff & enjoy the show I guess.

Comment

I agree with the others. I'm sure that most of the crew aboard are just troops. There's probably only a handful of people actually operating the ship.

As for Thor...I think that Asgard tech has advanced so much that it can be compared to our cars, and you only need one person to operate a car.

Comment

Yeah, there's really no reason that most functions of the ship COULDN'T be done by computers. In all honesty, we could do most of that now if we really pushed. It would obviously not be as effective as having trained and dedicated crew members at different stations, but it should be quite possible to handle at least the core functions of the ship centrally, navigation, shields (maybe) basic weapons, and the like. It would be difficult for one person to monitor all relevant information and if problems arise they're probably going to be screwed, but as long as everything stays in spec they should be able to manage that with just a couple of people.

Comment

I think a better example is Prommie Unbound. I think that proves that the prometheus really is idiot proof and user friendly.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                I think a better example is Prommie Unbound. I think that proves that the prometheus really is idiot proof and user friendly.
                Well the OP was making the point that they didn't see how the ship could be run by just one or two people. He knows it's been shown in the show. I was just making the point that with computerized controls it should be relatively simple to do so.

Comment

Jaffa weren't trained to maintain the technology they use, so the Goa'uld had to take care of their own equipment. Presumably, low-level Goa'uld took care of mantainence on their ships, while the Jaffa were guards and pilots.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                    Well the OP was making the point that they didn't see how the ship could be run by just one or two people. He knows it's been shown in the show. I was just making the point that with computerized controls it should be relatively simple to do so.
                    I often find that aspect quite amusing as well. And completely unbelievable. And then I remind myself, it's just a tv show, it's just a tv show...

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                      I have to say one of the biggest gripes I have, and one that I often laugh about, is how a capital ship is supposed to be run by a crew. Often, you DO see a crew, so that's fine. But then, some episodes the "crew" turns into 1 or 2 people... yet they can STILL run the capital ship with the same effectiveness... its really funny.

The perfect example (I just watched it) is in Reckoning, Part II, Teal'c and one other Jaffa are running a Ha'Tak and fighting against a Replicator armada, while on Ba'al's ships you see a large crew.

Not to say the rebel Jaffa don't have many members (because they do!), but I think its totally unrealistic when they keep doing this at random... its like one episode they have a full crew, then in another suddenly you have 1 or 2 running an entire ship.

Sigh... guess that's sci fi TV for you. lol
                      but what else would all the rest of those Jaffa actually be doing? we know that there is only one control consol for directing and controlling the ship, and the weapons are all controled from another console right behind the first and both are on the pel'tak. the engines seem to be self maintaining because there are no diognostice displays or control panels down there, just the racks of control crystals that slide in and out and are just replaced when something goes wrong. other than the glider bays, 90% of a ha'tak is pretty much dead space for carrying troops, so there really is nothing to run on board the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                        but what else would all the rest of those Jaffa actually be doing? we know that there is only one control consol for directing and controlling the ship, and the weapons are all controled from another console right behind the first and both are on the pel'tak. the engines seem to be self maintaining because there are no diognostice displays or control panels down there, just the racks of control crystals that slide in and out and are just replaced when something goes wrong. other than the glider bays, 90% of a ha'tak is pretty much dead space for carrying troops, so there really is nothing to run on board the ship.
                        Somebody has to sweep the decks, polish the waffle maker and make tea...I can't believe that the ships are completely self-maintaining.

Comment

Well as far as I know the Asgad do a weird "Mind Merge" thing with their ships-at least Thor seems to. Thats the only way I can explain why he can beam people on and off without actually moving. One minute he's looking at you and the newxt you're looking at GEneral Hammond lol.

I guess every sci-fi show has this ship being run by 1 dude thing going on in 1 episode or another. With Ha'taks it actually makes more sense cos there can only be so many consols to look at in the entire ship-in fact Jacob seemd to be able to control everything from the Pel'tak in "Descent"(I think that was the name).

In shows like Star Trek on the other hand it's even more ridiculous cos they have hundreds of consols spewing out read-outs verey second and there is just no way that 1 person can crontrol they entire ship adequately. Yet they still do it...
                          Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
                          +
                          Join the Adeptus Astartes

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                            Somebody has to sweep the decks, polish the waffle maker and make tea...I can't believe that the ships are completely self-maintaining.
                            yes well that would likely be the human slaves that are supposed to exist in the millions but are almost never seen. I forget which episode it was but at some point there was a question about building ships or growing crops or something and it was said that the Jaffa serve a strictly military role, they dont do those type of things, that it was the human slaves that did stuff like growing crops, and cleaning and building. the only time we have actually seen jaffa work was in the episode where they showed Ba'als naquada proccessing labor camp because jaffa were the only ones that could tolerate the heat and radiation long enough, and the episode with the Sodan, but they were a special case. I think most of the day to day jobs aboard ha'taks's and elsewhere are done by human slaves (well were until the goa'ulds down fall). There is the bigger inconsitency than one or 2 people running a capital ship, the fact that the one of the SGC's primary missions was supposed to be freeing all the human slaves out there and each goa'uld was supposed to have so many of them there would likely be millions and millions of them out there, but the only humans we have ever seen are small villages on abandoned or forgetten goa'uld worlds. where are all those millions of slaves?

Comment

I dunno...

I just think they don't want to pay for extras. Often I see scenes where (Reckoning, Part II is an example) they have captured a large enemy group and are leading them off... yet that "large group" consists of like 10 guys lol - its all about not wanting to pay for too many extras.

For me, I'd do my best to spend money to make the scenes have enough actors on them... but I can understand them not wanting to spend extra $$$

Comment

Working...
                              X