This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming Weapons ('Siege 3' SPOILERS)

So the wraith can block the transport, similar to the replicators could do. However, these nukes are quite powerful. The only reason why we needed to use the telelporter was because we couldn't get them close enough without being shot down. So if we can't beam them onto the ships...why not beam them close, say on the other side of the ship where they wouldn't expect to see it appear and then let its engines get it closer and boom! The blocking technology most likely does not extend outside the ship. Just get the nukes close. Perhaps it won't destroy the ship but it will damage it a great deal and most likely prevent them from blocking anymore and allow us to get a better lock.

i thought they were blocking them from transporting period but i could be wrong. if you are right then i think we could then attack with them by placing nukes all around the hive ships.

Comment

Wait, don't nukes cost insane amounts of money? And Naquada/Naquadria isn't exactly easy to find. When you've got a single kill-nuke ratio the cost can be minimised but any higher than that and the fact that the longer you stay the more people get killed (that's aprox. 100,000$ per person in costs to society accordind to the U.S. gov. if I recall plus whatever it costs to train an airperson) the costs become so high so as to make retreat a much more reasonable option.

Comment

On earth there are anti nuclear disarmament programs going on, so using the nukes in other galaxies is a cost effective way of getting rid of them .

As for why they don't nuke the Hive Ships the way you said, probably because they can't, or the writers never thought about it and thus didn't explain why they could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatazarian
          On earth there are anti nuclear disarmament programs going on, so using the nukes in other galaxies is a cost effective way of getting rid of them .

As for why they don't nuke the Hive Ships the way you said, probably because they can't, or the writers never thought about it and thus didn't explain why they could do that.
          Dang, forgot about those. So then we have a limited supply? Come to think of it, aren't are nukes past their expected lifetime (not the fissionable component, the explosive) at least one should have malfuctioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatazarian

They're not using the old ones though, they're using mark IIX

Comment

Originally posted by general ben
              i thought they were blocking them from transporting period but i could be wrong.
              if they stop us beaming completly then they are likely to have minimal control over the system, fix the hole and it is done. The wraith prevent us getting a lock on, so beaming nukes next to them is possible, but hard as u hav to measure the points, like hermoid
              Spoiler:
              beaming the gou'ld from cladwell in critical mass

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                if they stop us beaming completly then they are likely to have minimal control over the system, fix the hole and it is done. The wraith prevent us getting a lock on, so beaming nukes next to them is possible, but hard as u hav to measure the points, like hermoid
                Spoiler:
                beaming the gou'ld from cladwell in critical mass
                2 questions come in mind:
                What is the jaming radius around a hive ship?
                How far from a hive ship can a nuclear weapon be transported and still be effective in destroying the hive ship, and in the same time not destroying our ship in the process?
                School is overrated.

Comment

Yeah...seems just like another plot hole to me. What we need to do is go over the atlantis cloack tech and get the asgard to help us adjust it to work with our newer ships. Then we'd be set, could ride up upon the hive ships nuke one or two and get our of there and do quick hit and runs all over the galaxy.

Comment

Well its the dreaded, Plot Device again, if they could blow a hive ship up, by beaming a nuke next to it, the seige aprt three would have meant the end of the Wraith. It would make a good story, but i know what you mean, the simple answer though, doesn't make good t.v

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

It´s propably just that the jamming device is strong enough to create an effective safe zone around the ship, the nearest we can beam the nukes wouldn´t do much more then scratch the paint job of the Hive ship.

What Atlantis really needs is a weapon system that can accelerate a nuke from a dead stop up to half lightspeed (or what ever) in a second flat, that way they could beam a nuke close and have it sprint the rest of the way to the target. A anti matter weapon would be nicer, then even if it´s intercepted it stil goes of with a mighty big bang.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
                        It´s propably just that the jamming device is strong enough to create an effective safe zone around the ship, the nearest we can beam the nukes wouldn´t do much more then scratch the paint job of the Hive ship.

What Atlantis really needs is a weapon system that can accelerate a nuke from a dead stop up to half lightspeed (or what ever) in a second flat, that way they could beam a nuke close and have it sprint the rest of the way to the target. A anti matter weapon would be nicer, then even if it´s intercepted it stil goes of with a mighty big bang.
                        A) Nukes have a blast radius of 50 or so miles
                        B) We don't know how they do it.
                        C) Atlantis has drones, that would shread a wriath hive ship to shreads.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

We need to think of another delivery system, Like clokeing device, Or waybe a guidence system that a person can drive it from afar.
                          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

They could just cloak the nukes. Either take the cloaks off the puddlejumpers and put them on the nukes or get some cloaks from the Asgard.

Oh and nukes do not have a blast radius of 50 miles, especially in space where the effects of the blast is severely diminished.

Comment

Cloak It! Why didn't a crew of some of Earths finest scientists and an Asgard figure that out.?
                              It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X