Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPOILER(for rising) but come on...they just made it too easy..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILER(for rising) but come on...they just made it too easy..

OK, they get to Atlantis and 2 seconds after they arrive they find "English" speaking Holo-Ancient-Lady yet in episodes of SG-1 where Jack is used as a floppy disk for Ancient knowledge he understands English but does not speak it?

The info Holo-Lady gives isn't really that relevant at the time and may have been more interesting if she spoke the message in Ancient... Give them something to work for..

You forget the city has universal translators....

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

The Asgard have Translation technology. The Ancient computers probibly heard the SGC people talking, got a translation and broadcast the message in english.

Now how TEYLA and her people speak English, that's when the "Ignore it because it's TV" needs to kick in.
      Last edited by the adventurer; 16 July 2004, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by professor_griff
        yet in episodes of SG-1 where Jack is used as a floppy disk for Ancient knowledge
        ha, I love that. ::g::
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah but still universal translators aside I'd still like to hear some Ancient!

Comment

Maybe we'll accidentally break them one episode, and have to translate ancient for 45 minutes.

BORING!
            sigpic

Comment

You just expect one thing and get another and it kinda sucks, I mean they could of got some 12 year old hacker to d/l some pirated software from Torrent via longrange internet patched through the universal translator into the ancient computer and it would have been a bit more interesting then
              "Hello welcome to Atlantis would you like fries with your message of impending doom?"

other then that seems like it may not be that bad of a spin off..

Comment

Originally posted by the adventurer
                Now how TEYLA and her people speak English, that's the "Ignore it because it's TV" needs to kick in.
                Sheppard's mobile remote unit (tricorder) from the puddle jumper. Perhaps it can also act as a translator -OR- perhaps Teyla has her own. They do have technology, such as laser lighter.

Comment

Well, for years its been pondered how SG-1 can travel from world to world and keep encountering english speaking people. Probably Teyla's people either have the technology themselves--they did mention they've made contact with others for trade, or that something was left over from their ancestors that allow for it. The hologram speaking English was alarming but like previously stated, probably translated automatically as soon as they arrived. It wouldn't be too fun for descendents to come back to the city speaking another language, would it?

Comment

Yeah the Unas race was really the only race throughout the SG1 seasons to have entire episodes without two sided english speaking parties I guess to many people complained about that...

Comment

I remember reading that the producers didn't want to have to worry about language barriers. They said that if they had to tackle the language barrier in each episode, the whole series would be a big linguistics class and thus, no fun stuff like gun fights, temporal paradoxes, technological finds and not as many allies. Personally, I like that they only use alien langauges when it reinforces the story line i.e. Umas.

Comment

I just would of expected that at least the Hologram spoke Ancient considering nothing in the Earth's gate system spoke English or (was written in it) the hologram could have been deciphered for a more realistic effect.

Comment

Plus how would Ancients know english since they died way before humans lived. I mean the Asgard live in our time so, their translators would work, but the Ancients died/ascended long, long, long, long... long ago.
                          *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                          McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

The ascended ancients did speak english Oma de sala spoke it to Daniel to help him ascend but still doesn't explian the rest considering the times when jack spoke just Ancient .

it's just tv...it's just tv....it's just tv...this stuff will drive you nuts if you think about it to long..

Comment

Damn straight it'll drive you crazy.
                              I never said the ascended Ancients didn't speak English.
                              I said the pre-dead/ascended ancients lived in a time where English didn't exist... also Humans didn't exist.
                              *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                              McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Working...
                              X