X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please get rid of Dr. Weir

Oh my God, what a terrible character!

She's Atlantis' Captain Picard to SG-1's Jack O'neill Captain Kirk.

I can't stand the booo hooo, let's not do anything cause there's big bad boogy men out there, I also don't care for her attitude of "I'm an American, and I'm lucky to be here because of America and the American Govt, cuts me my pay check, but I'll be the first person to stand up and ***** about America and the government employing me"

Sounds like she works for the New York Times or something.

Other then that, liked the show, just dump Weir!

LIES! Weir is an interesting and potencialy deep character.

Comment

I like Weir alot. Why do you dislike here so much? She's hot too.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by vermontgate
        I can't stand the booo hooo, let's not do anything cause there's big bad boogy men out there
        The wraith are as technologically advanced as the ancients! We wouldn't stand a chance if they got to Atlantis before we got the shield up and running.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
          The wraith are as technologically advanced as the ancients! We wouldn't stand a chance if they got to Atlantis before we got the shield up and running.
          After seeing this episode I'm thinking the Wraith are *not* as technologically advanced. I mean, they had to depend on a virus to wipe out the Ancients, even though they outnumbered them! Surely their military might was not enough to suppress them.
          Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

Oh wow, please tell me your kidding, they HAVE to change the character to show some back bone. NONE of the SG Teams even remotely showed that level of cowarderness from day 1, I know the writers are looking to build this military - civilian tension with her, but it just comes off as totally weak.

As far as Torri Higginson being hot, she needs to put on about 30 pounds before she's hot, her neck is really long not my type of women. Now Rachel Luttrel (Teyla), WOW!

Comment

OK, I didn't like her that much either. But she still was a pretty good character, and played the part she had to play fairly well. No, I don't think she has the skills needed to command an entire base, but I think Sheppard will become the unofficial leader in the show. He is much better, and is from the military, giving him the qualifications for such a job. So no, I didn't like Weir's part that much, but she still did a fairly good job. Me? I liked the Scottish guy(Beckett) the best.
              Beckett: How come I never make any friends like that?
              McKay: You need to get out more.
              Beckett: We're in the Pegasus galaxy! How much further out can I get?

Comment

Wier isn't the best character in Atlantis but I don't hate her.

Comment

Yea, the scottish guy kicked butt.
                  He was like I don't touch things because I end up breaking them.
                  And you see the scene before he left, can anyone say MAMA'S BOY
                  *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                  McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Don't get me wrong I think the actress did I fine job of playing the part, I just hate the character. Kill her off, or give command to Major Sheppard and have her go back to Earth and the Anarctic is some episode where they get the gate open and can only send one person.

Comment

I like the idea of Weirs character, but the lady playing her just didn't feel right. Like that whole scene on the balcony where she was arguing with Shepard, in essence she was absolutly right. You didn't risk exposing yourself to a potenialy over-powering enemy untill you have all your ducks in a row. But she failed to make a convincing arguement (writers fault) or portray any of the untangibles of acting we are used to getting from O'Neil and Hammond (her fault).
                      Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience. -Adam Smith

Comment

SPOILER-HEAVY

I think Weir is a pretty good character. It's not that she was being a coward with the whole Wraith thing, but you have to remember that she's a diplomat and negotiator. She's not as quick to take action as fans are used to with SG-1.

She explained clearly why she didn't want Sheppard to go rescue the others. For one thing, they knew nothing about where they were going or who they were dealing with. It's a tad foolish to rush in for a rescue mission when you don't know what awaits you on the other side of a wormhole. These are the things that killed off the Ancients, and we barely know how to use their technology.

She wanted to avoid making the Wraith their enemies in the same way SG-1 made the Goa'uld theirs. Besides, she eventually let Sheppard go on the mission.

I'm guessing she won't have complete control over everything that goes on in Atlantis. Like I said, she's not used to taking action. She'll probably consult Maj. Sheppard a lot more than Hammond consulted his subordinates.

And you never know when those incredible negotiating skills will come in handy, what with all of the planets they have yet to visit.

Personally, I'd want her to be more like Dr. Jackson and go along on the missions and work her verbal magic with the locals. But TPTB put her in charge, so let's just hope they know how to write her character.
                        Last edited by Manic; 16 July 2004, 07:45 PM. Reason: spoiler-warning
                        It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

S
                          P
                          O
                          I
                          L
                          E
                          R
                          S

Originally posted by JQuinn
                          SPOILER-HEAVY

I think Weir is a pretty good character. It's not that she was being a coward with the whole Wraith thing, but you have to remember that she's a diplomat and negotiator. She's not as quick to take action as fans are used to with SG-1.

She explained clearly why she didn't want Sheppard to go rescue the others. For one thing, they knew nothing about where they were going or who they were dealing with. It's a tad foolish to rush in for a rescue mission when you don't know what awaits you on the other side of a wormhole. These are the things that killed off the Ancients, and we barely know how to use their technology.

She wanted to avoid making the Wraith their enemies in the same way SG-1 made the Goa'uld theirs. Besides, she eventually let Sheppard go on the mission.

I'm guessing she won't have complete control over everything that goes on in Atlantis. Like I said, she's not used to taking action. She'll probably consult Maj. Sheppard a lot more than Hammond consulted his subordinates.

And you never know when those incredible negotiating skills will come in handy, what with all of the planets they have yet to visit.

Personally, I'd want her to be more like Dr. Jackson and go along on the missions and work her verbal magic with the locals. But TPTB put her in charge, so let's just hope they know how to write her character.
                          I agree! (with JQuinn- keep Dr Weir!) I don't like the new actress quite as much as the previous one (who did look disturbingly similar to AT ), but I don't see any reason to get rid of her QUITE yet (does no one remember the awful lines Sam had in the SG-1 pilot??).
                          I didn't think she was cowardly at all, merely trying to minimise their exposure before they had even figured out how the lights worked! Are you suggesting she should have given Sheppard carte blanche to run off to save the rest of his team?? Hammond would never have done that without checking the arrival gate, why would she?? (after all, it was floating in space - nice BTW
                          Give them a couple of episodes to get into it

Comment

I loved her in New Order and I really liked her in Atlantis. I think it's a little unfair to label her recalcitrance as "cowardice" She's got a lot of people to think about and not very many options. I see plenty of potential in the character. I actually really loved that scene on the balcony. I think Weir is very well aware of how much she'll need help and advice, and her lack of self-assertion when unneccessary is something that really attracts me.
                            "Someone duplicated the duplicators?"

~ Jack; Smoke and Mirrors

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

Amelia's Violin - a Jonas/ OC romance. Version 2.0. New, improved, and COMPLETE!!!

A Day in the life of Sparky:

...???... ......!!!.....[ ]..............!!!... .........

The End!!

Comment

I have to concur with Persephone. I think part of the problem is that we've been used to seeing military people who risk their lives on a daily basis, and Elizabeth Weir isn't like that. But hopefully, it'll be this potential weakness which will set this show apart from SG-1. I think we'd all get really bored if this show were just like the original, despite how good the original is. Let this one have its own dramatic depth.
                              Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                              Last update: 14 April 2006
                              Melyanna's Multimedia
                              Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X