This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you ignore signatures?

Is there any way to ignore signatures? So many of them have spoilers, it drives me nuts. Just today I saw one that had a quote from the end of the Atlantis episode Trinity that pretty much gave away the whole plot.
    Spoiler:
    Weir: You destroyed three quarters of a solar system!
    McKay: Five sixths, but it's not an exact science.
    Weir: Rodney! Can you give your ego a rest for one second?!

I think the episode quotes are worse than the spoilery caps people use in their signatures.

Yes, I've already seen Trinity, I'm just using that as an example. I'm just thinking about how Canada is now showing episodes that the US won't see until Jan. I'm sure somebody is going to put a quote or cap in their signature that I'm going to end up seeing.

I don't want to get any one person in trouble, but some people just don't think when they make up their signatures.

Thanks.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Originally posted by watcher652
    Is there any way to ignore signatures? So many of them have spoilers, it drives me nuts. Just today I saw one that had a quote from the end of the Atlantis episode Trinity that pretty much gave away the whole plot.
    Spoiler:
    Weir: You destroyed three quarters of a solar system!
    McKay: Five sixths, but it's not an exact science.
    Weir: Rodney! Can you give your ego a rest for one second?!

I think the episode quotes are worse than the spoilery caps people use in their signatures.

Yes, I've already seen Trinity, I'm just using that as an example. I'm just thinking about how Canada is now showing episodes that the US won't see until Jan. I'm sure somebody is going to put a quote or cap in their signature that I'm going to end up seeing.

I don't want to get any one person in trouble, but some people just don't think when they make up their signatures.

Thanks.
    You can turn signatures off under "Quick Links" > "Edit Options".

If you see a sig that is spoilery you can always report it to a mod via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
      You can turn signatures off under "Quick Links" > "Edit Options".

If you see a sig that is spoilery you can always report it to a mod via PM.
      Oh, wow, thanks for the quick response! I'm going to turn them off now.

I've thought about reporting people, but I think because I do complain a lot about spoilers, that people will just assume it was me who reported them and then get all huffy at me. I've even thought about Ignoring the most blantant spoiler people (I did know how to do that), but then it would be obvious that I was Ignoring them and again I would get huffiness.

Some of the most blantant spoiler people are the ones who are the most passionate about their program so I don't want to ruin their fun if it seems like I'm the only one who cares about spoilers. I've actually stopped posting on some of the threads I used to hang out regularly because the thread has taken a turn towards more spoilery posts than they used to.

Thanks again for the help. For some reason, I just couldn't find this.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
        Oh, wow, thanks for the quick response! I'm going to turn them off now.

I've thought about reporting people, but I think because I do complain a lot about spoilers, that people will just assume it was me who reported them and then get all huffy at me. I've even thought about Ignoring the most blantant spoiler people (I did know how to do that), but then it would be obvious that I was Ignoring them and again I would get huffiness.

Some of the most blantant spoiler people are the ones who are the most passionate about their program so I don't want to ruin their fun if it seems like I'm the only one who cares about spoilers. I've actually stopped posting on some of the threads I used to hang out regularly because the thread has taken a turn towards more spoilery posts than they used to.
        First, ask them either in a pm or in the thread to remove the spoilers or add spoiler tags. If they don't, then you should definitely report them to the mod. It doesn't matter how passionate they are about the show in general or that particular episode, there are people who are just as passionate about it who don't have sci-Fi or live oversees and so haven't seen the new eps, and who don't like being spoiled. Ignoring them is just plain rude; there are threads specifically for spoilers and there are threads marked up front for spoilers; people who are busting to talk about the ep they just saw need to learn to be considerate and use them. That or spoiler tags. It's a matter of common courtesy; it is also a matter of forum rules. You shouldn't be driven out for not wanting to be spoiled.
        My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
        -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
        -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

I've thought about reporting people, but I think because I do complain a lot about spoilers, that people will just assume it was me who reported them and then get all huffy at me.
          Course...they'd be assuming right in this case, wouldn't they? Sorry - not meaning to be bolshy here, but this just struck me as amusing. <g>

I agree with your main point though. I'm assuming that most people though just get carried away and don't realise that they're spoiling. I'm sure that if you approach many of them directly, they'll be more than happy to comply. And if they don't, well you'd have a perfect right to report them then, wouldn't you? I think if you're up front with people first though and give them a chance to make good you'll get less 'huffiness' than just reporting them off the bat. Although no doubt - as with every community - you'll have some unreasonables.

Thanks for the info on the signatures. I don't usually set anyone to ignore, but I had to with one poster recently because of a photo they had in their sig which didn't sit well with a particular phobia I have. Made me feel sick every time I saw it. <g> But I don't like that that means I miss what they have to say, so hoping this edit option solves that one.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
          X