This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else hate the Athosians?

Seriously... I found all of them (except for Teyla) as very annoying and disliked them in every episode they showed up in... they seemed to whine an awful lot.

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    Seriously... I found all of them (except for Teyla) as very annoying and disliked them in every episode they showed up in... they seemed to whine an awful lot.
    Part of their whining probably stems from the train of events in the episode "Suspicion."

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
      Part of their whining probably stems from the train of events in the episode "Suspicion."
      Yes but they whined a lot... they whined when the Puddlejumper was caught between the 'gate and the matterstream because they wanted Tayla to do her final rights. They whined when what's-his-names son was lost in Atlantis. Several times they whined about the Ancestors and how the Atlantis team were not the Ancestors and that they would leave Atlantis if the Ancestors wished it. They whined about being suspected of treason when they were treated pretty darn nicely (and Tayla's necklace was around her neck, not around the neck of a Tau'ri).

Um... I lost track, might have been one or two other instances. Oh, yeah - the Athosian kids whined when they were told to go to bed.

Comment

Yes but they whined a lot... they whined when the Puddlejumper was caught between the 'gate and the matterstream because they wanted Tayla to do her final rights. They whined when what's-his-names son was lost in Atlantis. Several times they whined about the Ancestors and how the Atlantis team were not the Ancestors and that they would leave Atlantis if the Ancestors wished it. They whined about being suspected of treason when they were treated pretty darn nicely (and Tayla's necklace was around her neck, not around the neck of a Tau'ri).

Um... I lost track, might have been one or two other instances. Oh, yeah - the Athosian kids whined when they were told to go to bed.
        Well, you can't please everyone, i guess.

Comment

They're probably Stargate fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
            They're probably Stargate fans.
            Haha, BURN!
            Have some green.

Comment

Okay...um, let's try to see things from their perspective. If you thought your religious beliefs were being trampled, wouldn't you be a little erked? If your only son was lost in a gigantic alien city, wouldn't you be a little upset? If you were accused of treason (even if they accused you really nicely) wouldn't you be a bit annoyed?
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

What I hate is that the Athosians were nothing more than a plot device and now that they've served their purpose, they're dumped into the garbage bin of Useless Characters until the plot calls for a specific crutch again.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  What I hate is that the Athosians were nothing more than a plot device and now that they've served their purpose, they're dumped into the garbage bin of Useless Characters until the plot calls for a specific crutch again.
                  I suppose we could have an episode where we watch them farm....a lot.

(funny avatar shadowmaat!!)

Comment

I didn't hate them. I hated how ill-defined they were as a culture. One minute they were living in tents, the next minute Teyla is using this really cool lighter and wearing sparring clothes way too advanced for their level of technology. I suppose one could always argue they traded those things.

I also think Halling's fatalism in Thirty Eight Minutes was strange when you consider how contradictory it is to everything Teyla stands for in The Gift: courage, strength, determination etc. That sounds far closer to what Weir was arguing for in Thirty Eight Minutes: fighting death off, not embracing it. Again, one could say that a leader (Teyla) does not necessarily share the views of the entire community (Halling and others), but you'd expect a small tribe like them to have common beliefs on death.

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                    Okay...um, let's try to see things from their perspective. If you thought your religious beliefs were being trampled, wouldn't you be a little erked? If your only son was lost in a gigantic alien city, wouldn't you be a little upset? If you were accused of treason (even if they accused you really nicely) wouldn't you be a bit annoyed?
                    Exactly. The team never really bothered to establish any sort of rapport with them and understand their religious beliefs. I got the feeling in Hide and Seek that Sheppard was supposed to become some sort of a liaison between the two cultures, but we've never really seen much of that. Bates was very quick to accuse them of treason, Weir didn't really trust them, our interaction with them only made us look bad from a moral perspective which meant we had to get rid of them, fast, to make ourselves look good again. Besides, they were pretty boing and added nothing to the Wraith story arc after Rising so in a way it was a wise decision by the writers to dump them on the mainland, although that lead to Teyla being the leader not living with her people for their benefit. Her character needs to do other things than stick fight, like actually lead her people, which is why I enjoyed Trinity B-plot so much more than the A-plot.

Comment

Yes but they whined a lot... they whined when the Puddlejumper was caught between the 'gate and the matterstream because they wanted Tayla to do her final rights.
                      Sounds more like impatience and the willingness to give up too easily.

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
                        I didn't hate them. I hated how ill-defined they were as a culture. One minute they were living in tents, the next minute Teyla is using this really cool lighter and wearing sparring clothes way too advanced for their level of technology.
                        They're just a plot device. They don't rate continuity, character development, or rational explanations. They're there to get the story from point A to point B- nothing more, nothing less. *sigh* Sad, but true.

And we're never going to learn anything, either. It's already been too long and you know how TPTB like to forget any storylines that haven't been resolved.

Oh, excuse me. The Athosian plotline IS resolved:
                        Spoiler:
                        They're on the mainland, farming and being all low-tech and very quiet.
                        End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Oh, excuse me. The Athosian plotline IS resolved:
                          Spoiler:
                          They're on the mainland, farming and being all low-tech and very quiet.
                          End of story.
                          Thank God lol

I can only be so lucky if the Wraith decide to appear again and bomb them out of existance

Comment

I really didn't like the Athosians at all. i was so relieved when they went off to the main land to be forgotten. They were not written well enough for me to like them, so now everytime I see Halling on screen I just roll my eyes and clinch my teeth because I REALLY don't like that character.

What I don't get is what were the Atlantians suppose to do in Suspicion? Should they of just ignored the obvious leak or just pertend to investigate Atlantians as well as Athosians even though it was blantantly obvious that it HAD to be an Athosian? It just felt too much like the Athosians expected the Atlantians to instently trust them when they had only known each other for a matter of weeks.
                            Last edited by GatetheWay; 04 December 2005, 06:24 PM.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

I often wondered what the hunting party was hunting in The Storm/The Eye.

Comment

Working...
                              X