• Show
Clear All

Boston Herald: Star lite: `Atlantis' spinoff soars without Anderson

From the Boston Herald:

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNe...rticleid=35795

Star lite: `Atlantis' spinoff soars without Anderson
    By John Ruch
    Friday, July 16, 2004

Moving one sunken empire to another, the increasingly time-withered sci-fi series ``Stargate SG-1'' spins off ``Stargate Atlantis'' (premiering tonight at 9 on the Sci Fi Channel).

Less silly than it sounds, ``Atlantis'' accomplishes the basic task of rejuvenating the ``Stargate'' action-adventure premise.

The ``Dr. Who''-gets-drafted formula of gun-toting soldiers exploring portals to other worlds is brought back to the simplicity that led people to watch the original ``Stargate'' in the first place.

Most importantly, it's ``Stargate'' without obnoxious ``SG-1'' star Richard Dean Anderson, which instantly makes it twice as good. Well, he does show up in a cameo - just long enough to make you realize, ``Yep, I'd jump through a wormhole to Atlantis to get away from Richard Dean Anderson.''

The series picks up from an ``SG-1'' crossover plotline, in which Stargate Command discovers a way to use the Stargate portal to get to the legendary lost city of Atlantis, which is on another planet.

Curiosity may kill the Stargate, however, because this little bit of intergalactic nosing around draws the ire of the Wraith, a vampiric supervillain species. The Wraith, whose fashion sense appears based on Hong Kong horror movies, consider humans cattle to be eaten. Many gunshots, explosions and bizarre electric stun-gunnings ensue.

The Atlantis team is led by Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson), who gave up a brief SG-1 command in that series' season premiere last week. Higginson delivers a prim overacting job more suited for allergy-medicine commercials. But she remains likable and doesn't have much to do anyway, limiting the damage.

The real star is Joe Flanigan as cocky pilot John Sheppard. It's the ``Atlantis'' version of Anderson's hunky rebel shtick. The difference is that Flanigan is actually good at it, conjuring up an air of unforced wiseguy 'tude.

David Hewlett as Canadian egghead Rodney McKay (a character in a few previous ``SG-1'' episodes) is solid enough, with a sense of comedic timing when necessary. Paul McGillion as Scottish scientist Dr. Beckett seems like a calculated attempt to resurrect ``Star Trek's'' Scotty; his role apparently will get more attention in upcoming episodes, so we'll see. Sci-fi fan favorite Robert Patrick (``X-Files,'' ``Terminator 2'') turns up in a nice bit part as well.

The adventures of this gang are, for good and ill, built on the same elements as ``SG-1.''

There's the wargame action. The aliens still speak formal English, while only the heroes get to use slang. The writers still think drama consists of lots of loud, juvenile shouting matches. The special effects are still average-to-good. (The review copy did not include all special effects.) The alien planets still all look suspiciously like Canada.

That's all well and good for people who already prefer their sci-fi to come with more blasters than brains.

But ``Atlantis'' has a few differences, too, and they're all positive. Unlike the Earth-based ``SG-1,'' the Atlantis setting means it's all aliens, all the time. Even when just hanging around their new home, the team is exploring an unfamiliar city.

At least in the debut, that exploration includes one or two moments of actual wonder and beauty, elements long lost in the ``SG-1'' universe.

And - did I mention? - no Richard Dean Anderson. Woo-hoo!

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I don't think I like this guy very much. No RDA woo hoo? David Hewlitt is "solid enough"? Bleh. Stupid reviewers.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I like how he comments on the quality of the visual effects despite admitting he hasn't seen the final versoins...
      Last edited by Ugly Pig; 16 July 2004, 04:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

The Boston Herald has never liked Stargate much - I recall several negative reviews and/or comments I've read. Now I can see why if they consider the main star (RDA) to be obnoxious and someone they'd jump thru a wormhole to get away from!

Honestly some of these reviews are starting to make me LOL!

I don't know whether Atlantis is going to be my cup of tea or not but all the differing opinions have made me anticipate the premiere even more. I want to judge for myself.
        Last edited by keshou; 16 July 2004, 06:07 AM. Reason: typo
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Last year Pink Khaki awarded Ruch their stupid award (can't remember the award name, Googy or some such) for his review of the S7 premiere. I put it down to Farscape sour grapes at the time. This year it looks like RDA takes the hit.
          Slainte
          "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Well a paper with only positive reviews will never sell

Comment

SGA=+, RDA=-?!? How did that happen!? I thought it was ++ across the board!? Well, whatever. Atleast he liked Atlantis. I can't wait for tonight.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Is it just me or anyone else offended by the fact that he slams RDA rather than the character of O'Neill?

"We came through and once more saw the stars." - Dante

Karen

Comment

A very poor and downright "Obnoxious" review,IMO.
                  Absolutely not worth taking to heart though,for me anyway, as I never let critics dictate my preferences .
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                    I don't think I like this guy very much. No RDA woo hoo? David Hewlitt is "solid enough"? Bleh. Stupid reviewers.
                    Not so much stupid as prejudiced !

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                      Not so much stupid as prejudiced !
                      Prejudiced, for sure! And expected. One of TPTB commented about Ruch's S7 review last year. Apparently every single SG-1 review by Ruch has been less than stellar. I'm amazed that he had some decent things to say about Atlantis. Wonder what made him so anti RDA?
                      Slainte
                      "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Good question,Slainte !
                        Theory: Maybe he puts names into a hat and pulls one out at random ?
                        (OK, I really haven't the slightest idea why he comes across as so anti-RDA.)

Comment

Originally posted by raggedy11
                          Is it just me or anyone else offended by the fact that he slams RDA rather than the character of O'Neill?
                          At first I was offended and then I kind of started laughing because frankly the reviewer sounds kind of silly. He's supposed to be reviewing Atlantis and he harps on how obnoxious RDA is. Comes across as someone who was snubbed at a cocktail party or something and has been holding a grudge ever since.
                          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

It's just RDA-envy. He's probably just as obnoxious, but no one considers him funny or offers him a starring role in a successful television show.
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Grr he suck, RDA is my god! and McKay rock too

Comment

Working...
                              X