PDA

View Full Version : New York Times: Atlantis Mystery Is Solved; Now, About the Wormhole

morjana
July 15th, 2004, 09:01 PM
From the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/16/arts/television/16HEFF.html?ex=1090641600&en=1d421925ad1870d7&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1

NYTimes.com > Arts > Television

TV REVIEW | 'STARGATE ATLANTIS'

Atlantis Mystery Is Solved; Now, About the Wormhole
By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN

Published: July 16, 2004

In the time of the ancient Greeks, it turns out, human beings pervaded the universe, exploring distant galaxies until they encountered some evil beings who drove them back to a final redoubt, the lost city of Atlantis.

Cornered in Atlantis, the ancient humans left a single wormhole in space and time, or whatever, that would allow them passage back to Earth. In the present day the hole has been discovered by people who pass through it to loot technology from Atlantis, which is in a galaxy called Pegasus and, as the travelers soon discover, about to collapse because the force field that keeps the ocean around it at bay will soon give way. What's worse, some vampiric enemies, the Wraiths, who threaten the kindly Atlantis natives, seem to want to get their hands on the humans — now!

Advertisement

If such brainy counterfactuals, coupled with dialogue like "Do we have an identification code?" appeal to you, you may be vulnerable to the charms of "Stargate Atlantis," a densely produced series that starts tonight on the Sci-Fi Channel.

"Stargate Atlantis" is billed as a companion series to the channel's venerable "Stargate SG-1," which started its eighth season last week. "Companion series" sounds perilously like spinoff, but "Stargate" terminology is to be respected. Whatever the case, the new show focuses on the old show's Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson); other characters, like Dr. Rodney McKay (David Hewlett), also cross over.

Tonight's two-hour season opener is tedious. The interiors — an Antarctica set and the Atlantis set — are heavy on Art Deco game-show décor, and the shadowless tableaus make even the live-action sequences look computer-generated. Ms. Higginson, who appears at ease on "Stargate SG-1," is unaccountably wooden, even drawn-looking, on "Stargate Atlantis."

The joshing in Atlantis is not funny, and the ragtag locals, one of whom looks like Jennifer Lopez, are inscrutable, though maybe they'll become more expressive. The relationship between proper Dr. Weir and her maverick partner, Maj. John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan), creaks under a heavy cliché that suggests the captain and McBain on "The Simpsons." (Captain: "In this department we go by the book." McBain: "Bye, book.")

It's possible, however, that the show's lavish special effects, along with its privileged place as part of the "Stargate" franchise, will win the show some instant fans tonight. And if those fans support the show as it develops, and sci-fi fans typically do, "Stargate Atlantis," too, will one day enter season eight, and its dull pilot episode will be a nothing more than a relic of our own unenlightened time.

STARGATE ATLANTIS
Rising

Sci-Fi Channel, tonight at 9, Eastern and Pacific times; 8, Central time.

Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, executive producers and writers; N. John Smith, co-executive producer; Martin Wood, co-producer and director; Andy Mikita, Peter DeLuise, Mario Azzopardi, Brad Turner, David Warry-Smith, David Winning and Holly Dale, directors; Michael Blundell and Breton Spencer, directors of photography.

WITH: Joe Flanigan (Maj. John Sheppard), Torri Higginson (Dr. Elizabeth Weir), David Hewlett (Dr. Rodney McKay), Rachel Luttrell (Teyla), Rainbow Sun Francks (Lt. Aiden Ford), Paul McGillion (Dr. Beckett), Craig Veroni (Peter Grodin), Richard Dean Anderson (Gen. Jack O'Neill) and Robert Patrick (Col. Marshall Sumner).

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

David85
July 15th, 2004, 09:06 PM
New York News = Lots of Lies.

Ugly Pig
July 16th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Yawn. How does one get to be a TV critic if one can't even pay attention to what one is supposed to review? 'Ancient greeks'? 'Ancient humans left a single wormhole in space and time'? Maybe she was asleep during all the scenes the stargate is featured in, if she really found it that boring... :rolleyes:

Slainte
July 16th, 2004, 05:46 AM
From the New York Times:

TV REVIEW | 'STARGATE ATLANTIS'

Atlantis Mystery Is Solved; Now, About the Wormhole
By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN

Tonight's two-hour season opener is tedious. The interiors — an Antarctica set and the Atlantis set — are heavy on Art Deco game-show décor, and the shadowless tableaus make even the live-action sequences look computer-generated. Ms. Higginson, who appears at ease on "Stargate SG-1," is unaccountably wooden, even drawn-looking, on "Stargate Atlantis."

Heffernan is a real fan, isn't she. :rolleyes:

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Yes HER vast knowledge really shows off.

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 06:35 AM
My four-yearold cousin could have written a better article. That was so unstructured. These people need to go back to grade school.

It was a little one sided. It was also very harsh. I guess because its not a reality show about drunken hicks or drunken teens having sexy with eachother under the same roof, the NYT automatically thinks scripted SciFi shows are trash. Well...F-them.

Anthro Girl
July 16th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Heffernan is a real fan, isn't she. :rolleyes:
Heffernan doesn't have to be a fan. She's paid to be a TV Critic... apparently not a very observant or objective one. :rolleyes:

Bagpuss
July 16th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Well,despite some less than informed (or positive) reviews,I think Atlantis should do very well ! :D
I'm hoping some of these reviewers may change their tone once the Premiere goes out.
Good luck "SG Atlantis" and ALL who star in it ! :D

aAnubiSs
July 16th, 2004, 01:30 PM
The more negative reviews it gets before airing = the better it is.

That always works.

RDAOWNS
March 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry, is she talking about the same Stargate Atlantis that i watch?!?!

knocknashee
March 20th, 2005, 01:04 PM
The relationship between proper Dr. Weir and her maverick partner, Maj. John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan), creaks under a heavy cliché that suggests the captain and McBain on "The Simpsons." (Captain: "In this department we go by the book." McBain: "Bye, book.")

Heh heh...that's actually fairly apt...I could seriously picture Sheppard doing that... :D

Seriously though, I want to know what this person was watching, cos it obviously wasn't SGA...

Osiris
March 20th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Obviously that so called reviewer was wrong... Stargate Atlantis is a major succes! :D

morjana
March 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Obviously that so called reviewer was wrong... Stargate Atlantis is a major succes! :D

The review was written July 15th, 2004 -- 18 episodes later, Stargate Atlantis is on more firm footing.

Morjana

TechnoWraith
March 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I never pay attention to any reviews from the New york Times. Mostly because the reviews they write tend to be quite off the mark. In this case, the Atlantis review seems amiss because Atlantis is one of the highest rated shows on Sci-Fi right now. So how can such a highly rated show generate the review the Times wrote?

Unas
March 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I dont think we should bash her. I didnt like Rising either, it felt like they stole the plot from the movie and CotG. The banter between Wier and Sheppard was circumlocutive. It was the whole of season 1 that made me love SGA.

morjana
March 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I never pay attention to any reviews from the New york Times. Mostly because the reviews they write tend to be quite off the mark. In this case, the Atlantis review seems amiss because Atlantis is one of the highest rated shows on Sci-Fi right now. So how can such a highly rated show generate the review the Times wrote?

Because when this review was written -- on July 15, 2004 -- it wasn't a highly rated show at that time.

Morjana

TrustNo1
March 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
She just gave it a bad review because she can't perve on Richard Dean Anderson anymore. Sounds like my sister :|

SithMaster
March 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I was under the impression that journalists should be impartial. From this news report I can see that this reporter is not even trying. I especially like the part at the end where she hints that sci-fi fans only like special effects and have no good taste.
I can only guess that journalistic standards at the New York Times are going downhill.

Osiris
March 24th, 2005, 02:27 PM
The review was written July 15th, 2004 -- 18 episodes later, Stargate Atlantis is on more firm footing.

Morjana

I know, that's what I meant. She was wrong cause now that all the episodes have aired, we can say it's a major succes. My point was that you can't judge a show on the basis of 1 or 2 episodes. ;)

Shipperahoy
March 24th, 2005, 02:34 PM
It's definately interesting to read this now that the first season is coming to a close. Obviously it's done wll in the ratings and that's all that really matters. I do have to say that I generally don't take any reviewer seriously once they start talking condescendingly about sci-fi fans. If a review contains anything resembling "if you're in to this kind of thing" or "if the technobabble doesn't bother you" then I tend to tune it out.

Unas
March 24th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I was under the impression that journalists should be impartial. From this news report I can see that this reporter is not even trying. I especially like the part at the end where she hints that sci-fi fans only like special effects and have no good taste.
I can only guess that journalistic standards at the New York Times are going downhill.

Thats because she's not reporting, she's reviewing as a critic. If all movie critics tried to be impartial they would say every movie is average.

Excali5033
March 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I dont think we should bash her. I didnt like Rising either, it felt like they stole the plot from the movie and CotG. The banter between Wier and Sheppard was circumlocutive. It was the whole of season 1 that made me love SGA.

Maybe they did, but it worked. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Atlantis was so dark and mysterious, it was great.

morjana
March 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I know, that's what I meant. She was wrong cause now that all the episodes have aired, we can say it's a major succes. My point was that you can't judge a show on the basis of 1 or 2 episodes. ;)

Ah...I understand now.

And you're absolutely right...you can NOT judge a booky by its cover...ot a tv series by its pilot.

Morjana

fair_nymph
March 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I can't believe this article actually made it to print. The author isn't a particularly good writer and she's a very poor critic. She throws around a few harsh insults but never backs them up with any solid explanation. The whole peice is very poorly constructed and seems disjointed and thrown together. And it's not like she even really seems to say anything or make any clear points.

I'm truly flabbergasted as to how her superiors let this one slip through.

kadosho
March 25th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Kinda makes you wonder, what the writer of this article has to say now.
:cool:

chiefchucky
March 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Joe Flanigan must have been REALLY agitated on the set when he read that edition of the New York Times.

Klems
March 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Joe Flanigan must have been REALLY agitated on the set when he read that edition of the New York Times.

LoL, I can't wait for the next "Behind the Gate". Joe is going to flip his lid like Michel Shanks did.
But seriously, my sister, who sort of likes it could have written a better one. Did she even get one thing right?

Taonas
March 27th, 2005, 07:15 PM
LoL, I can't wait for the next "Behind the Gate". Joe is going to flip his lid like Michel Shanks did.
But seriously, my sister, who sort of likes it could have written a better one. Did she even get one thing right?
Micheal Shanks flipped his lid? Que?

Klems
March 27th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Remember when that one guy from the Conan O'Brian show was cutting into him? He cut back. Ah, it was on there.

Wandering Tamer
March 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I thought that was a joke. hm... anyway, I've noticed that reviews of things don't tend to reflect what the audience thinks. but that's just most of the time. sometimes, it fits. LotR

knocknashee
March 28th, 2005, 09:35 AM

LOL! I'd never thought of that... :D

On the upside, must be saving the production a fortune... :p

defina91rvc
March 29th, 2005, 03:32 AM
ok lets get something straight. this was the NEW YORK TIMES. the times is a ridiculous liberal paper that lies through their teeth. (yes i am conservative but that opens us up to a whole big slew of problems that i dont want to get into now)
in short, dont listen to the times.

knocknashee
March 29th, 2005, 11:27 AM
ok lets get something straight. this was the NEW YORK TIMES. the times is a ridiculous liberal paper that lies through their teeth. (yes i am conservative but that opens us up to a whole big slew of problems that i dont want to get into now)
in short, dont listen to the times.

That's most papers...they are all full of crap...

Freyrs
March 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Obviously these people haven't even watched SGA with an open mind. SGA is better than 99% of that drama/crime/sitcom junk on the other stations