Chinese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese

Does anyone know where I can find translations for the intermittent Chinese phrases? I'm assuming, of course, that it's actually real Chinese being spoken. Could be wrong about that, I suppose.

Never mind. here we are:

http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/
    Last edited by rohannen of zorbia; 01 December 2005, 06:40 PM.
    Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

lol, cool, you found the site I use, it's come in very handy for my fanfic!

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

If anyone would like help with Chinese words and phrases for their fanfics, just PM me... I'll try to help...
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
        lol, cool, you found the site I use, it's come in very handy for my fanfic!
        Oooo. What's your fic about?

Comment

Well, all you browncoats will despise me about this, but it's about an Alliance cruiser (those giant tower thingos...) Called the Henshin, it's about a new rebel faction, called the New-independants, who are seeking revenge on the Alliance for
          Spoiler:
          covering up the secret of killing off a whole planet, and creating the Reavers.

It's based after the movie of Serenity, so theres quite a few spoilers in it...the New independants are based on a motley crew of people who's family or loved ones were killed or transformed by Reavers, needless to say, Reavers play a huge part in it

I'm up to page 50, having a slight writers block though....

Comment

cool! thanks for the linky
            sigpic

Comment

yes its a very shiny linky tooo thx
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the links.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I didn't realize that much of the Chinese on the show are actual Chinese. Being a native Mandarin speaker, perhaps I'm just not used to picking out the Chinese with the accent spoken by the actors, especially when they try to do some quite complicated phrases.

That's pretty cool, though.

I'll pay closer attention the next time I watch the Firefly series.
                  I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by rohannen of zorbia

Never mind. here we are:

http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/
                    Great site! I didn't know it exsisted

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
                      I didn't realize that much of the Chinese on the show are actual Chinese. Being a native Mandarin speaker, perhaps I'm just not used to picking out the Chinese with the accent spoken by the actors, especially when they try to do some quite complicated phrases.

That's pretty cool, though.

I'll pay closer attention the next time I watch the Firefly series.
                      The show had consultants and all these other people to get the correct Chinese phrases, which the actors just butchered with bad pronunciation. So, if you can't understand what they're saying in Chinese, its the actor's fault.

Comment

It may not be exactly a fault on the actors' parts, either.

It seems to me that the idea is that Chinese has been blended into English at the time that Firefly takes place, the way French has been blended in and the way Spanish and other languages are currently being blended in. It makes sense that Chinese would have its turn, considering how many people on the planet speak that particular language right now.

Think about the French phrase "deja vu." We English-speakers use that phrase frequently, and most of us don't pronounce it exactly right. It could be that the actors on Firefly mispronounce certain parts of the Chinese phrases to make the blending feel a little more realistic.

Comment

Watch the 'Heres how it was' featurette in the Firefly box set, and they talk about the Chinese.

Comment

I've watched that, quite good...I like how Alan keeps descretely baggin' the abosolute Gos se out of Fox...

Also, yeah, I think it might have been...I can't remember, Jayne, Mal, or Wash...Maybe Zoe...I dunno! That said "We may be speaking chinese, but I bet you the chinese people watching this are going "What the hell did they just say?!"

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
                              Watch the 'Heres how it was' featurette in the Firefly box set, and they talk about the Chinese.
                              Love to. You wanna buy it for me for Christmas?

Comment

Working...
                              X