PDA

View Full Version : Audio Interview d/loading

David
November 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Hey everyone! I'm placing this poll just to see how many use which option in GateWorld's audio interviews. There are a lot of new ones to come and I'd like to see if we're wasting our time uploading a "Low Bandwidth" version. Even on my dial-up the "High Bandwidth" version downloads almost always in-time with the pace of the interview itself.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I download the interviews to my Palm, since I play games on it all the time.

Blue Banrigh
November 30th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I download it to my Ipod then go back and read it if I can't decipher what they are saying.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 30th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I download it to my Ipod then go back and read it if I can't decipher what they are saying.
If the interview is less than 15 minutes long, then I print the interview, and read it while I listen.

Qasim
November 30th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Usually read - download if its a good one never stream

BTW - do you have an archive of old interviews?

Darren
November 30th, 2005, 06:41 PM
All interviews from the beginning of time are here:

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/interviews/

tsaxlady
November 30th, 2005, 06:46 PM
David I almost always download the mp3 version. :cool:

Seshat
November 30th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I checked "I download the interview to my MP3 player", although actually half of the time I read them first in case the speaker is hard to understand. I just save new ones to my hard drive and listen later on when I'm in the mood. :)

strivaria
November 30th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Although I voted for the reading option, there are occasions where I'll download the audio if its one of my favorite actors/behind the scenes person.

lily
November 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Although I voted for the reading option, there are occasions where I'll download the audio if its one of my favorite actors/behind the scenes person.

Same here!!! :)

Baalroc
November 30th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I download on high and read it at the same time

CKO
November 30th, 2005, 10:32 PM
i read the interviews and if its an acotor i like, then i'll d/l either the high-bandwith or the MP and listen on jukebox (which is loaded on my compy) did i mention that I'm also on Dialup...

tara3583
November 30th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I listen on mp3 and also read the interview and i'm also on dial up.

Qasim
December 1st, 2005, 02:05 AM

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/interviews/I cant seem to find the one with the primordial Goa'uld from P3X-888 :D

Stricken
December 1st, 2005, 02:08 AM
I tend to download but I mainly listen via "High Bandwidth" and read the interview at the same time

Skydiver
December 1st, 2005, 05:36 AM
i ususally go for the transcript because, for whatever reason, i can rarely download at work where i have a fast connection (the right click often doesn't work) and it takes too long at home over dialup, so i just forgoe it and settle for reading

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 1st, 2005, 05:40 AM
and it takes too long at home over dialup, so i just forgoe it and settle for reading
Wow, now that's a first, the first person I know here, on the forum, that has a dial-up connection (somewhat). And I know that was a little off-topic, I just wanted to reveal it to all of you (so please don't delete it).

tara3583
December 1st, 2005, 06:54 AM
Wow, now that's a first, the first person I know here, on the forum, that has a dial-up connection (somewhat). And I know that was a little off-topic, I just wanted to reveal it to all of you (so please don't delete it).

I have dial up and before i got my pc i could only access the internet through my tv digi-box which ment that i could'nt see a lot of stuff!
I so love my pc!:) back on topic, looking foreward to more interviews to listen to even if it does take along time to down load it, lol:)

TheWarrior
December 1st, 2005, 07:04 AM
I usually just read the transcript - unless its an actress or an actor I would like to hear.

CalmStorm
December 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM
I download on high and read it at the same time

Same here.

strivaria
December 1st, 2005, 11:27 AM
Wow, now that's a first, the first person I know here, on the forum, that has a dial-up connection (somewhat).

Yep, some of us here still limp along on dial-up. In my case, I live just east of the boonies... I'm lucky my TCP/IP packets don't come by carrier pigeon. That said, I should probably add that when I read the interviews at work on our spiffy T1 line, I'm more likely to play the high bandwidth audio and read along.

Darren
December 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
I cant seem to find the one with the primordial Goa'uld from P3X-888 :D That one was too short to publish. I've got it right here, though. Let's see ...

GateWorld: Stargate was your first professional television work. Tell us how you landed this part.

Primordial Goa'uld from P3X-888: Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!

GW: Is that something that you needed extra training for?

PGFP: Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!

GW: In the episode you do a pretty amazing stunt, leaping out of the water at Teal'c. Was that you, or a stunt symbiote?

GW: Interesting. I couldn't tell at all. Great scene.

PGFP: Ssssss!

GW: GateWorld's Tara would like to know, Did you and Christopher Judge get along well off-screen?

PGFP: Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! Eeee.

GW: Is there any chance you might make a guest appearance on Stargate Atlantis?

GW: Well, primordial Goa'uld from P3X-888, thanks for taking the time to chat with us today!

PGFP: [blank stare]

- D. Read and D. Sumner

Uber
December 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM
I answered High Bandwidth...but the truth is that if I'm REALLY interested in the subject, I'll DL a copy and listen to it via WinAmp on my computer which of course plays MP3s..but it's not an MP3 player in the way that I think the question meant (as in portable MP3 player)...

Skydiver
December 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM
there are actually a lot of people on dialup. for some it's money (i pay 100 a year for my dialup....and going to 30 a month is a biiiigggg stretch), for others it's availabilty. there are huge parts of this country where wireless jsut doesn't exist

David
December 1st, 2005, 03:22 PM
Those gaps are quickly closing. Verizon Wireless is now down to 15 bucks, from 30. That's my service.

Skydiver
December 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM
it'll happen eventually, the price of high speed will get reasonable enough for folks to use...but i really don't think dialup will ever go away. not in a country as big as the us with so much nothing out there...not to mention other parts of the world that don't have the infrastructure to support high speed everywhere

but anyway, back on topic :)

just don't stop doing that transcript

PartyLikeIts1984
December 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM
As long as there is a wi-fi network around I have highspeed.

I usually read it while it's downloading to my desktop and then listen when I'm done so I can catch what didn't get transcribed, and things like the actors inflection and all that nerdy stuff.

David
December 1st, 2005, 06:55 PM
That one was too short to publish. I've got it right here, though. Let's see ...

GateWorld: Stargate was your first professional television work. Tell us how you landed this part.

Primordial Goa'uld from P3X-888: Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!

GW: Well, primordial Goa'uld from P3X-888, thanks for taking the time to chat with us today!

PGFP: [blank stare]

- D. Read and D. Sumner
Yes, I'm quite fond of this one. I didn't think you'd ever get around to posting it, though!

toranoko
December 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Voted for listen via high bandwidth. I normally read while listening too.

David
December 1st, 2005, 10:41 PM
Well, I think the votes are pretty daggum clear. Thanks, all of you. Following our next interview Darren and I have decided to eliminate the low-bandwidth category. If there is an outrage from the general GateWorld population we'll consider putting it back, but I don't think there will be. I'm grateful because, being responsible for managing the site's audio/video material, it's one less thing I have to do in the prep bays.

Video interviews, which are undeniably larger, will continue to have high and low bandwidths.

Atlantis1
December 7th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I'd like to download but at 26.4Kps it takes forever.

Faith.In.Fate
December 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM
"I listen via High Bandwidth" and read along with it incase I can't decipher what is being said. If I am in a hurry, I will download the MP3 version to listen to at a later time.

:)

Crichton
December 8th, 2005, 04:34 PM

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/interviews/
Man, I didn't realize that there's never been an RDA interview...that's a little dissapointing (sp?).

David
December 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Does anyone actually put it on their MP3 players?

Crichton
December 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Not I.

duffarama
December 8th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Voted for listen via high bandwidth. I normally read while listening too.You may not be surprised, but I do that as well. I can't wait for the next interview.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
December 9th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I do, I put it on my PDA. I think I've mentioned this in this thread already.

EDIT: I have, Post #2

I download the interviews to my Palm, since I play games on it all the time.