This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counterfeit Atlantis DVDs

A week ago, I remember seeing a "Three-Disc" SGA boxed set on sale at Costco. I suspected that it was fake, but, after the box told me that "Doby and the double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.", I was sure it was.
    -- Schrodinger's Cat

I highly doubt it's counterfeit if it's from Costco. The Atlantis Boxset has three DVD cases in it, but five actual discs. I don't see why the Dolby thing would make you think it's counterfeit since all the DVD's I own have that written on them.
    My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Haha. That is interesting. Mine has the misspelled "Doby" thing too. It's the real thing though. I ordered mine from overstock.com and it's the same.

Comment

Originally posted by CardassianVole
        Haha. That is interesting. Mine has the misspelled "Doby" thing too. It's the real thing though. I ordered mine from overstock.com and it's the same.
        Neener Neener! "Dolby" is spelled correctly on my Atlantis set. I got mine from Amazon.com (It's also a Region 1 set, if that makes any difference in this conversation). The Dolby misspelling could have just been an oversight for your particular region.

Comment

Woops, I didn't notice you wrote "Doby". Your second statement makes a lot more sense to me now. I just checked my set and it was misspelled Doby. Maybe it's a difference between the Canadian and US sets?
          My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

australia has three attempts to spell 'dolby' but then gave up and wrote 'sound company'

i kid i kid.... its spelled right here.

Join the Neko Rebellion!!
            http://sgr.hl2files.com

Comment

With how messed up some of the DVDs are and how sh*t Sony seem to be at making DVDs... if they were counterfeit they are probably a higher standard anyway lol
              Ses
              James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Yeah, I can't say I was too impressed with the design of these. Crappy menus, ads for other movies on every disc...bad Sony, baaaad.

Comment

It's possible that they may be Asian knock-offs! They get put together over there for pennies, some chancer/s finds out about them. Buys them in bulk, Sets up a new company & misleads legitimate companies, who are out to get a good deal on new products.

I know personally because, I had my own software company 2 years ago. Out-sourced the R&D out to Asia, because the development costs were much lower. A company here quoted me 60k, whereas I eventually got it done by an Indian company for 30% of that.

Anyhow, it took 4 months before it was all completed. I had hardly had time to get my cd's printed out before I nearly choaked on a snickers that I was eating. I was browsing eBay UK & noticed it for sale on there. I found this very odd because I didn't even have it on release yet or considering I owned the copyright, then nobody had permission to sell or release it to anyone else.

So it's possible that the Atlantis boxsets that you have could be from Asia or then again, maybe Sony made another huge screw-up! Neither would surprise me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ses
                    With how messed up some of the DVDs are and how sh*t Sony seem to be at making DVDs... if they were counterfeit they are probably a higher standard anyway lol
                    Sadly enough, you're probably right.

Comment

It said that it had three volumes.
                      -- Schrodinger's Cat

Comment

Well, according to SonyStyle.com, The SGA s1 dvds are related to the Seinfeld s5 dvds...

SonyStyle.com | DVDs - Stargate Atlantis: Season 1
                        Last edited by Serapis; 02 December 2005, 04:49 PM.
                        -- Schrodinger's Cat

Comment

Cheap Asian ripoffs couldn't be any worse than the ones Sony are flogging.

Comment

I Got mine from the computer.
                            Um never mind...

Comment

^
                              ^
                              ^
                              ^
                              Im just Joking BTW.

Comment

Working...
                              X