Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant

Yeah, it's gonna be a rant, all good things about Firefly and Serenity, all bad things about the fact that I can't have more of both.

I never even heard of Firefly until Serenity came out. I went to see the movie because my sister, wise sci-fi fan that she is, needed a ride. Such a fantastic film! Never thought I'd come away that satisfied. The characters, the story, the images and dialogue stuck with me for days after, and I've been begging to go see it again ever since.

I've caught a few of the Firefly episodes and have gotten sucked in. I want more.

Unfortunately, I think that the very things I love about this show are the things that are keeping it from coming back on the air. Basically, it boils down to this: Firefly (and Serenity) are too intelligent.

Jos Wheden (Whedon?) has always written great dialogue. No exception here. The dialogue on Firefly is witty and always well-suited to the characters and the setting. But I think a lot of people can't follow it because it represents a culture so different from any in the English-speaking world today.

Also, I think the blend of genres has some viewers confused. It's not all that often that you see a sci-fi/western/samurai. Plus, these characters aren't exactly your typical space-heroes.

Mind you, I wouldn't change a thing. The very things that make this show inaccessible to some are what make it unique and fun to watch. To dumb it down just to catch an audience with a shorter attention-span and a narrower point of view would be a crime.

I could be proven wrong (it happens) about the potential this show has for reaching a broader audience. After all, I got hooked. If I am right, however, if we never see a massively sucessful movie series or a return of Firefly to our televisions, it will be because they were too well-written.
    Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Okay...that's one of the more interesting rants I've heard. It's too intelligent for people. An interesting and different opinion. I like.

Comment

Well, thank you.

I think I may just be proven wrong, though. Amazon.com lists the Firefly boxed set at #16 on their best-selling DVD list at the moment. Serenity is at #30 and it hasn't even been released. There may yet be hope for this creation. I hope the actors haven't booked themselves solid just yet.

Comment

Firefly was an intelligent and quirky show, a combination that FOX execs seem to find terrifying when they could put on safe, mindless reality television for a fraction of the price. And now FOX is sitting on the television rights to the show (and Joss Whedon), keeping it from returning to the air.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by rohannen of zorbia
          Yeah, it's gonna be a rant, all good things about Firefly and Serenity, all bad things about the fact that I can't have more of both.

I never even heard of Firefly until Serenity came out. I went to see the movie because my sister, wise sci-fi fan that she is, needed a ride. Such a fantastic film! Never thought I'd come away that satisfied. The characters, the story, the images and dialogue stuck with me for days after, and I've been begging to go see it again ever since.

I've caught a few of the Firefly episodes and have gotten sucked in. I want more.

Unfortunately, I think that the very things I love about this show are the things that are keeping it from coming back on the air. Basically, it boils down to this: Firefly (and Serenity) are too intelligent.

Jos Wheden (Whedon?) has always written great dialogue. No exception here. The dialogue on Firefly is witty and always well-suited to the characters and the setting. But I think a lot of people can't follow it because it represents a culture so different from any in the English-speaking world today.

Also, I think the blend of genres has some viewers confused. It's not all that often that you see a sci-fi/western/samurai. Plus, these characters aren't exactly your typical space-heroes.

Mind you, I wouldn't change a thing. The very things that make this show inaccessible to some are what make it unique and fun to watch. To dumb it down just to catch an audience with a shorter attention-span and a narrower point of view would be a crime.

I could be proven wrong (it happens) about the potential this show has for reaching a broader audience. After all, I got hooked. If I am right, however, if we never see a massively sucessful movie series or a return of Firefly to our televisions, it will be because they were too well-written.
          It's too intelligent for FOX that's what it is...

The suits that run that place wouldn't know good television even if it hit them between the eyes...
          I remember Alan Tudyk saying that they were constantly at loggerheads with the suits about almost every single episode.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Yeah, I'll buy that about FOX. They cancelled Futurama, too. Dumbbutts!

But surely someone would be willing to shell out some bucks to FOX and buy the rights away if they saw interest in the franchise increasing?

Comment

Originally posted by rohannen of zorbia
              Yeah, I'll buy that about FOX. They cancelled Futurama, too. Dumbbutts!
              Firefly, Futurama, Dark Angel, Tru Calling, Wonderfalls...the list goes on.

Comment

"Too intelligent" is a charge that was levelled at Farscape and Babylon 5 as well. (Okay, Farscape got called "too weird" more than "too intelligent" but that's by the by.)

And yet both of those shows were rousing successes. Each ran for four series +. Cos JMS and Rokne were TOO INTELLIGENT TO LET FOX WITHIN A MILE OF THEIR SHOWS. Are you listening, Joss?

(J/K. Whedon is genius, and more.)

Seriously, I wonder why Fox orders these shows in the first place. They all perform well, they all meet viewing-figure expectations, they all recoup costs (and recouping costs works better if you let them make more episodes) and they all get critical approval. And yet they all get binned. So why does Fox bother? Is it like a three-year-old who picks up whatever looks interesting but drops it unthinking two minutes later, or is it like the four-year-old who picks up interesting stuff just so his sibling can't pick it up before him, and then drops it when he realises his sibling's welcome to it? Or is Fox a five-year-old with ADHD?

Madeleine

Comment

Fox is just retarded.

No, that too much of an insult to retarded people...

Comment

The thing I'm most annoyed about in this entire affair is that Fox stands to reap from the success of Serenity when they obviously don't deserve to. All the sales of those boxsets...

Oh... there's another thing that annoys me as well and it's ignoramuses (ie film reviewers) saying that Serenity is based on a "failed television show"... yeah, right guys... do your research...
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

The thing is, Firefly did fail. It was cancelled after half a season. That's considered a failure. But just because it failed, that doesn't mean that its no good.

Comment

Being cancelled after 14 episodes is one thing but being accused of "failing" is another...
                        As far as I can tell, there's a great deal of difference.

Cancelled = External forces beyond the creative team's control
                        Failure = Internal inability to continue
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          "Too intelligent" is a charge that was levelled at Farscape and Babylon 5 as well. (Okay, Farscape got called "too weird" more than "too intelligent" but that's by the by.)

And yet both of those shows were rousing successes. Each ran for four series +. Cos JMS and Rokne were TOO INTELLIGENT TO LET FOX WITHIN A MILE OF THEIR SHOWS. Are you listening, Joss?

(J/K. Whedon is genius, and more.)

Seriously, I wonder why Fox orders these shows in the first place. They all perform well, they all meet viewing-figure expectations, they all recoup costs (and recouping costs works better if you let them make more episodes) and they all get critical approval. And yet they all get binned. So why does Fox bother? Is it like a three-year-old who picks up whatever looks interesting but drops it unthinking two minutes later, or is it like the four-year-old who picks up interesting stuff just so his sibling can't pick it up before him, and then drops it when he realises his sibling's welcome to it? Or is Fox a five-year-old with ADHD?
                          I do believe, that FOX is a four year old....no, a five year old....a three...ah hell, let's just mix 'em together and make FOX
                          And yet, they've still kept Simpsons after...OMG,how many seasons!?
                          *sigh* And, I bow to you all, you all bring up very valid points.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

fox always cancel good shows but sometimes they come back hopefully thatll happen with firefly i mean family guy got cancelled twice

Comment

twice?! Whoa...I pray that they bring back Firefly AND Futurama, equally damned good shows for COMPLETELY different reasons!

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Working...
                              X