• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILERS: Reuters: Review of Stargate Atlantis

From Reuters (via Yahoo News):

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._stargate_dc_1

TV Review: Stargate Atlantis

By Michael R. Farkash

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - A new and exciting adventure series surfaces with the debut episode of "Stargate Atlantis" -- the spin-off of "Stargate SG-1" -- opening the door to distinctive characters, mysterious worlds and a ghoulish new enemy to battle.

The much-anticipated companion series is a well-paced, enjoyable romp, proving the franchise has plenty of life and drama in it.

As chronicled in the original series "SG-1," the ruins of the ancient city of Atlantis are discovered on Earth, along with the coding of that city's new location in a galaxy far, far away. Last season and the debut opener of "SG-1" on July 9 featured the story line that prepares viewers for the spin-off series.

The two-hour pilot episode of the new series focuses on a team that travels to a faraway galaxy in search of technological secrets contained in the underwater city of Atlantis, once inhabited by the "Ancients," the people who built the stargates. (As the faithful know, the stargates are alien artifacts that lead to distant worlds.)

Heading the new team initially are diplomat Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson, "The City"), and Col. Marshall Sumner (Robert Patrick, "The X-Files").

It's too bad that Patrick is but a guest star on the series; his solid, authoritative appearance apparently is a one-shot. The central personality conflicts will be handled by Higginson's character and Maj. John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan, "The Precinct"). She takes a cautious approach to challenges, and he's for gung-ho, can-do action. Higginson does a fine job as the tough supervisor, and Flanigan, serving to a lighter touch, is a fine counterpart for her.

Although the advance DVD is a rough cut with many temporary visual effects, it's clear that a lot of fine work went into the design of "Atlantis." There's a cool outer-space pursuit and, inevitably, a close encounter with an attractive, capable female leader representing the human culture on one of the new planets. The leader of the new culture, Teyla, is played with charm and intelligence by Rachel Luttrell ("Feast of All Saints").

The ticking clock of urgency appears as the team discovers there are serious problems to face in the high-tech city of Atlantis and a dangerous alien race called the Wraith. They're going to have to scrounge for solutions, and fast.

In Sci Fi's "Stargate SG-1," Richard Dean Anderson (news) continues to portray the often irreverent and iconoclastic Col. Jack O'Neill, leader of the key exploring team. Last week's eighth-season opener saw him promoted to brigadier general, placed in charge of the entire stargate program. That makes him the head honcho supervising Elizabeth Weir and her "Atlantis" band. He also appears briefly in "Atlantis."

As in the "Star Trek" franchise, an ancient race "seeded" many planets with their own stock, which accounts for why so many of the planets visited are inhabited by Homo sapiens -- many of them attractive women.

After its two-hour debut, "Atlantis" will run from 10-11 p.m. Fridays, following "Stargate SG-1."

Cast: Maj. John Sheppard: Joe Flanigan; Dr. Elizabeth Weir: Torri Higginson; Dr. Rodney McKay: David Hewlett (news); Teyla: Rachel Luttrell; Lt. Aiden Ford: Rainbow Sun Francks; Dr. Beckett: Paul McGillion; Peter Grodin: Craig Veroni; Jack O'Neill: Richard Dean Anderson; Daniel Jackson: Michael Shanks; Col. Sumner: Robert Patrick.

Executive producers/creators/writers: Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper; Executive producer: Michael Greenburg; Director/co-producer: Martin Wood; Co-executive producer: N. John Smith; Consulting producers: Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie; Directors of photography: Michael C. Blundell, Andreas Poulsson; Production designer: Bridget Mcguire; Costume designer: Christina Mcquarrie; Editor: Brad Rines; Music: Joel Goldsmith.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

--------------------
    |*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I wish some of these reviewers would actually do some homework about the backstory of the Stargate universe. Ancients seeded humans? Oy. Do any of these folks ever actually watch what they review enough to render a valid opinion? And where do we complain?
    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Livi2Jack
      I wish some of these reviewers would actually do some homework about the backstory of the Stargate universe. Ancients seeded humans? Oy. Do any of these folks ever actually watch what they review enough to render a valid opinion? And where do we complain?
      The ancients DID seed every inhabitted non-wraith planet in pegasus.

You aren't allowed to complain, since the comment was correct for Atlantis.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
        The ancients DID seed every inhabitted non-wraith planet in pegasus.

You aren't allowed to complain, since the comment was correct for Atlantis.
        Ouch...Mio's correct! You may have to take that comment back

Ace
        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Yah i had a big question mark above my head when livi2jack was saying that, because yah, the reviewer 'was' right...
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
            Ouch...Mio's correct! You may have to take that comment back

Ace
            That's worth what, 3 points? ::looks at his 'GateWorld Forum's score card::
            sigpic

Comment

Heading the new team initially are diplomat Dr. Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson, "The City"), and Col. Marshall Sumner (Robert Patrick, "The X-Files").

It's too bad that Patrick is but a guest star on the series; his solid, authoritative appearance apparently is a one-shot.

SG1-Spoilergate
              http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/
              The only reason Col. Sumner was in Atlantis was to die. Shep had to become leader, but no sane person would send him as head of the expedition.
              The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
              The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
              Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
              Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
              Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

the link doesent seem to go anywhere
                MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002
                  the link doesent seem to go anywhere
                  Pay close attention to this:
                  The document you requested is not found. It may have expired.
                  Rocky

Comment

i have a question.......
                    Aren't the Wraith, hybirds of an insect race and the seeded humans from the ancients? The Wraith were created from the Ancients by accident then.

Someone fill me in the Atlantis storyline...I just stared watching it...I've only watched 2 episodes and the first season is concluding...
                    The Phoenix lives on!

Comment

Working...
                    X