• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Jamming Daedalus sensors #SPOILERS FOR THE HIVE#

*SPOILERS FOR ATLANTIS SEASON 2*
    While watching the hive i noticed that
    Spoiler:
    the daedalus was able to use the beaming technology for a while, until the wraith noticed their presence and activated the jammer. This would mean that the wraith don't fly around with the jammer activated. If I'm right that would mean that the daedalus (if a cloak was wired up to it) could be invisible going up to the ships (until the ships are close enough to beam onto) and beam a nuke aboard

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by SmallTimePerson; 28 November 2005, 02:11 AM.

Or we can think the beaming technology emits on a invariable frequency, and the Wraith had to find it. Now that they know it, they are protected.
    Please forgive my English, I'm French

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Comment

Maybe, but either way suggests that it's some sort of an active jamming device. If it's something that's messing with the sensors preventing them from getting a possible fix then it might be possible for a cloaked pj to fly into a hanger bay and plant a beacon while cloaked and then fly out.

Or that it could possibly be boosted through some method of boosting the power to push through the jamming.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
        *SPOILERS FOR ATLANTIS SEASON 2*
        While watching the hive i noticed that
        Spoiler:
        the daedalus was able to use the beaming technology for a while, until the wraith noticed their presence and activated the jammer. This would mean that the wraith don't fly around with the jammer activated. If I'm right that would mean that the daedalus (if a cloak was wired up to it) could be invisible going up to the ships (until the ships are close enough to beam onto) and beam a nuke aboard

What are your thoughts?
        The problem wasn't that they couldn't use the beaming tech at all, it was simply that they couldn't lock coordinates on the Hive ship.

JM dropped a hint to how they do it in his thread a while back, it's something to do with them raising some sort of shield. This when activated prevents them from beaming in. Asgard beams cannot penetrate Ancient shilds (Avalon) or they couldn't get past Goa'uld shields either. So it doesn't seem that big of a technological deal that they are also able to stop the Asgard beams.

It would be more impressive if they could totally disable all Asgard systems when Daedalus gets in proximity to them. This way, Daedalus would have proper reasons to fear facing the Wraith. Instead of what you seen in 'The Hive'. Where after being blocked in TSIII, they just blindly jump in feet first. Without any consultation with Hermiod at all.

Comment

The beaming tech is far beyond out understanding. Unless the Asgard help us out, it's unlikely that we'll find a solution to this problem. And since they don't want us using the tech in this way in the first place, that may take a while.

However, if they can wire a PJs cloak into the deadalus and cloak it, then that would be a very large tactical advantage. They could likely destroy a couple ships before the jamming starts.
          But it should be pointed out that they were able to cloack Atlantis with a PJs cloak, but they wired it into the shield generator, which was also of ancient design. It may be more difficult interfacing it with an Asgard sheild.
          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Also keep in mind that the cloak replaced atlantis' shield.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
              Very good point. It's a bigger risk to cloak the Deadalus.
              302's lead the way!

Comment

Yes, but the tectical advantage of being cloaked is that you can hit and then run, without being seen. and
                Spoiler:
                if the wraith turrets can see you then they cant shoot you

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                  Yes, but the tectical advantage of being cloaked is that you can hit and then run, without being seen. and
                  Spoiler:
                  if the wraith turrets can see you then they cant shoot you
                  I think you meant to say that if the wraith turrets cant see you than they cant shoot you. They can still shoot blind. Even if you try to run they could still see the hyperspace window open and fire in the general direction of it. The only way a cloak would be a tactical advantage is if you had a small shield under it. That way if you were discovered you wouldnt be completely unprotected. You could divert all power from the cloak to the shield.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

Cloaks apparently take alot of power to run. When DJ disabled the cloak on Osiris' Al'kesh in Endgame, the bad guys noticed a 60% drop in power consumption. Of course they were probably running at minimal power anyway because they were trying to hide from Prometheus. In other words, life support, the gate, the teleportation system, etc. only used 40% of the ships power output; the rest was the Cloak.

Does Daedalus have enough power to run a cloak, as well as it's other systems? I dunno. They've never said what they're using for power generation on that ship, so as far as we know, they might not be able to install of cloak due to power constraints. Then again, if they have an Asgard power system in the ship, they might have surplus power...I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for using a cloak for sneak attacks, it would only work about as well as it does without the cloak. As soon as you blow up a hive ship, the others will figure out that someone is teleporting nukes on their ships, and use the countermeasures. It won't matter if you're cloaked or not.
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I think you meant to say that if the wraith turrets cant see you than they cant shoot you.
                      yeah i did

Originally posted by Jarnin
                      Does Daedalus have enough power to run a cloak, as well as it's other systems?
                      good point
                      i think it does, if you replaced the shield with the cloak, as i reckon a shield needs more energy.

I thought of another way the daedalus could use the cloak:
                      We learnt from Lost boys and the hive that
                      Spoiler:
                      there is great tension between the wraith and the wraith are very terretorial. So if ur cloaked and start firing at a hive ship behind another hive ship (with energy weapons if course, maybe the darts weapon) then the other hive ship may think it is being fired upon by the other hive ship and start shooting it. The daedalus could then flee the explosions' radius.

Comment

You folks are focusing way to much on a single potential weapons delivery system. The problem with the Daedalus is that the onboard weapons that it does have... well, suck. The missiles, are waaaay to slow to be effective despite being having nuclear warheads. The numerous small Rail-Guns are great for defense against the Wraith Darts, but not nearly as effective against the Wraith capital ships.

I have a couple of much more simple solutions to the problem. For one thing, they might install much larger and heavier Rail-Cannons that might not fire as quickly but, would deliver a far more powerful shot, that might actually damage larger alien motherships.

My first suggestion was an entirely Earth-based technology, however there is another alternative as well. One would think, that with all the Death Gliders, at least one captured Al-Kesh (by Col. O'Neill, and Teal'c in eps. 'Avenger 2.0', which we know can damage Goa'uld motherships), as well as having direct access to Ha'tak (Goa'uld motherships) ships to study the design of its weapon systems, that Earth could by now be able to employ Plasma-based weapons that the Goa'uld use.

Either one, or both of the above suggestion would be far more useful than simply being able to break the Wraith beaming-scrambler. The Daedalus was forced to use that method, simply because it lacks the better weaponry that would have made it unneccesary. I mean really... for God's sake, if your gonna build a super-cool intergalactic spaceship, the least you could do is give it weapons that could allow it to defend itself.

As it currently stands, the way the Daedalus is armed would be like sending a warrior into battle with nothing but a shield, a dagger, and a bow w/ arrows. Those will work fine as long the warrior isn't sent into the thick of battle, where his weapons will be of only limited use. Give the warrior a sword, a battle-axe, or something to that effect and his ability to survive will go up considerably. Right now the Earth ships lack an effective primary weapon system. I'm sorry but relatively little rail-guns and slow nukes just aren't going to cut it against the more advanced races Earth has to go up against.
                        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                          For one thing, they might install much larger and heavier Rail-Cannons that might not fire as quickly but, would deliver a far more powerful shot, that might actually damage larger alien motherships.
                          A big rail cannon would work. They wouldn't even need to make it big, they could just accellerate the mass they're delivering to a higher speed.

My first suggestion was an entirely Earth-based technology, however there is another alternative as well. One would think, that with all the Death Gliders, at least one captured Al-Kesh (by Col. O'Neill, and Teal'c in eps. 'Avenger 2.0', which we know can damage Goa'uld motherships), as well as having direct access to Ha'tak (Goa'uld motherships) ships to study the design of its weapon systems, that Earth could by now be able to employ Plasma-based weapons that the Goa'uld use.
                          Yeah, you'd think that Felger, or a smarter person, would have worked out the kinks in his pulsed plasma cannon by now. Yet it's never been mentioned since Avenger 2.0.

Either one, or both of the above suggestion would be far more useful than simply being able to break the Wraith beaming-scrambler. The Daedalus was forced to use that method, simply because it lacks the better weaponry that would have made it unneccesary. I mean really... for God's sake, if your gonna build a super-cool intergalactic spaceship, the least you could do is give it weapons that could allow it to defend itself.
                          They'll get them by season 3. I think the whole purpose of the Daedalus not having cool space weapons is to show us that we're still just noobies when it comes to exploring space in ships. Neccessity will dictate that they'll get decent weapons really soon.

As it currently stands, the way the Daedalus is armed would be like sending a warrior into battle with nothing but a shield, a dagger, and a bow w/ arrows. Those will work fine as long the warrior isn't sent into the thick of battle, where his weapons will be of only limited use. Give the warrior a sword, a battle-axe, or something to that effect and his ability to survive will go up considerably.
                          Bad analogy. The Romans conquered much of Europe, and parts of Asia and Africa armed with little more than a shield, and a short sword. A better one would be:

As it currently stands, the way the Daedalus is armed would be like sending an 19th century galleon into battle against a modern day battleship.

Right now the Earth ships lack an effective primary weapon system. I'm sorry but relatively little rail-guns and slow nukes just aren't going to cut it against the more advanced races Earth has to go up against.
                          Like I said, it's all about making us the underdogs. We look weak now, but soon (tm) we'll have some cool weapons.
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

You folks are focusing way to much on a single potential weapons delivery system. The problem with the Daedalus is that the onboard weapons that it does have... well, suck. The missiles, are waaaay to slow to be effective despite being having nuclear warheads. The numerous small Rail-Guns are great for defense against the Wraith Darts, but not nearly as effective against the Wraith capital ships.
                            Didn't you see JMs response when I asked him this question? The problem isn't with our weapons systems, it with the enemy's defenses.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. Heck, if nothing else maybe if they could find a way to wire an ancient drone weapons system into our capital ships would be a start.

Or put inertial dampers in the missiles to lower the missile's inertia, then use some external propulsion to get it up to speed more quickly (solid rocket booster outside the field's range, specially modified rail/gauss gun, SOMETHING). If the missiles could travel faster they would be harder to shoot down before reaching the ships.

Or MY favorite, a "skipper" missile; replace most of the missile's propulsive systems with a small hyperdrive system. By making small hyperspace jumps of a few dozen miles at a time it should be quite possible to create a stable hyperspace window. Heck, they could possibly use some sort of ultracapacitor bank (instead of a naquadria generator) to power the hyperdrive for just a single short-range jump. The missile could either be longer range and just make multiple short jumps until it reaches the target (would probably require a naquadria generator) or shorter range (using something like the capacitor banks). I wonder what would happen if a missile came out of hyperspace within the hiveship. As an added bonus, if they use naquadria to power the drive it could probably be engineered to be able to use some/all of that naquadria to increase the explosive yield. I doubt that access to naquadria would be much of an issue for them. Even if they can't trade for it with Jonas's people (and I'm bettting they could), they now know how it's made. They can probably artifically create it from naquada just like plutonium is created from Uranium now. (I know the skipper missile term has been used for something similar, I think in the Wing Commander games or something like that and described a missle that would cloak enroute but has to uncloak every so often to be able to get it's bearings and make sure it's still on course to the target, so this was a logical extension). Basically the same thing the F302 did to get inside of Anubis's shields but built into a missile and automated. Even if it couldn't be done in a missile carryable by the F302s, there's no reason they couldn't be launched by our BCs (especially if a longer range design was built) or that we couldn't build a larger attack-type spacecraft that carries larger weapons in an anti-ship role (and would hopefully be shielded as well).

Comment

what if the enemy got hold of the missle and reversed one of their own?

Comment

Working...
                              X