X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oma's Waitressspeak

Originally posted by Oma Desala
    Frank, I need a noseboy and a blanket. Two handfruit wrecked on a shingle with a mystery in the alley. A warmy with a mouldy lid and two checkerboards, alright?
    What is your interpretation of her baffling words? I guess the checkerboards are the waffles, but what about the rest?

Just more Oma-isms to add to the list.

Seriously though, I think that noseboy/blanket stuff is just a pig-in-a-blanket, and that handfruit/shingle thing is eggs, no idea about that mystery thing, and that warmy/lid thing is probably coffee with foam on top.

Comment

According to Gateworld, Oma says this:
      OMA: Frank, I need a nose boy in a blanket, two hen fruit wrecked on a shingle with a mystery in the alley, a warm mead with a mouldy lid, and two checkerboards, alright? Oh yeah, hold the pig.

"Hen fruit" is obviously an egg, like PG15 said. "Wrecked on a shingle" sounds like it's fried or something. "Mead" is an alcoholic drink right? I'm not sure if she actually got Daniel a beer, or the writers just thought mead sounded cooler than coffee. "Pig" would be the bacon that Daniel declined.
      SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

I thought she was really giveing him checker boards!
        I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
        so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
        But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
        Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
        GW My home away from home....
        My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

It was great that Oma gave Daniel his answers directly in the rest of the episode(but, as we all know, the shortest distance between two points is a curved line in relativity ). If only all women gave direct answers
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

OMA: Frank, I need a nose boy in a blanket, two hen fruit wrecked on a shingle with a mystery in the alley, a warm mead with a mouldy lid, and two checkerboards, alright? Oh yeah, hold the pig.
            For all we know, these may just be Ancient terms for their own foods.

"Noseboy in a blanket" does sound a bit like pigs in a blanket, especially if you think of "Noseboy" in the context of Pinocchio. Funny, I never thought of Pinocchio's nose as a sausage before...

"Two Henfruit Wrecked on a Shingle with a Mystery in the Alley" - fried eggs with some kind of surprise dish between them?

"Mouldy lid" - sounds to me like "mushroom cap."
            [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

According to Gateworld, Oma says this:
              It's classic American Diner Lingo or Diner Speak. However, the GW transcript got some of the terms wrong.

It should read:
              Frank, I need a Noah's boy in a blanket. Two henfruit, wrecked on a shingle with a mystery in the alley. A wormy with a moldy lid and two checkerboards, alright?

Noah's boy - slice of ham
              Blanket - sandwich
              Hen Fruit: Eggs
              Wrecked: Scrambled
              Shingle: Toast
              Mystery in the Alley - a side of Hash
              Eve with a Moldy Lid - apple pie with a slice of cheese (wormy for apple?)
              Checkerboard - a Waffle

Check these sites out for more info. They're fun. :
              http://www.jitterbuzz.com/diners.html
              http://www.hungrymonster.com/humor/Restaurant_Lingo.cfm
              http://www.dinermuseum.org/culture/culture-slang.php
              http://homecooking.about.com/library.../bl081897a.htm
              sigpic

Comment

Mystery in the Alley - a side of Hash
                Would that be Atlantis hash?

Anyway, muchos gracias for clearing that all up!
                [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                  Would that be Atlantis hash?
                  Aaaahahaha! Oh, man...I don'thave anything to add to the discussion, but that was great...

*~S.T.A.K.S.~*~LiveJournal Leik Woah~*

"Dosmrti, dosmrti na to nezapomenu."

Comment

I was always wondering, what she meant. I don't know how they translated it. Did anyone see that in another language?
                    Why be difficult?
                    Put some effort in and be impossible!

Comment

It was great to listen to Oma spout some different things for a change. Unfortunately she goes from indiscernible ascended Ancient speech to indiscernible diner shorthand. It was fun.

Related Omnipedia links:
                      Astral Diner
                      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by David
                        It was great to listen to Oma spout some different things for a change. Unfortunately she goes from indiscernible ascended Ancient speech to indiscernible diner shorthand. It was fun.

Related Omnipedia links:
                        Astral Diner
                        Frank
                        Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X