This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script or story?

What do you peoples like better, script adventures like Horizon or just written out story? I myself find it hard to read one hundred pages of script, thats why I can't get into Horizon really, though I have pecked at the first episode a few times.

Story by far. Script format does nothing for me as its far too much 'telling me what's happening' and not 'showing me what's happening'. And I know that when people write fanfic in script format they try and put the extra details in, but it still feels much too disjointed for my liking.

Comment

Stories. They allow much more freedom in the telling of the tale. I've read scripts before, but only "official" ones for episodes or movies I've already seen, so I can use my memory to fill in the blanks (so to speak).

Although I DID read Long Kiss Goodnight 'cause a friend said I reminded them of the lead female. *ahem* Anyway, the script itself was so funny (Shane Black managed to work in some great commentary) that I decided to see the movie. But I think that was an exception to the rule. Most scripts don't really lend themselves to casual reading.

Comment

the only reason i write script format is if im going to then turn it into a visual production. which i havent so far. I find that story boarding (with pictures) is much more effective than saying "Camera pans across" because we dont really know what that might look like, one mans camera pan is another man's camera dip and so forth.

I generally like to write full bodied stories, but there is sometimes the need for a little script like element. Although, its mostly for describing ships, etc.

Join the Neko Rebellion!!
        http://sgr.hl2files.com

Comment

Well, technically, scripts shouldn't contain directions like, "camera pans across" or "McKay looks scared" or whatever because it isn't the job of the script to do those things. It's the director's job to decide on camera angles (I think) and it's the actor's job to determine his expression. Or at least, that's what I've been told.

I find the script format freeing at times because you don't have to worry about what's going on in the characters' heads and you don't have to worry about a lot of the non-verbal stuff, other than basic descriptions. Of course, there are times when I WANT to expound on that stuff, too, but it makes for a nice change once in a while. It helps that dialogue is also one of my biggest strengths.

But speaking as a reader, most of the time I WANT all that extra stuff with the emotional states and thought processes and things left unsaid- especially since a lot of the time, characters will say one thing and be thinking something completely different.

Comment

When I read fanfic, I prefer story format. I confess that I don't really read many scripts. And I generally try and avoid stories written in script format (this is different from proper scripts), as most of the time these seem to have been written in about five minutes flat :|

My LiveJournal

Steve the Wraith's Adventures

www.legendofzeldaseries.com

Comment

Stories. While it's more detailed, its more earier to read. It's make a story a bit more better, like how the character is feeling, so you can actually sort relate to the event or the feeling that's been written out.

Comment

Story, most definitely. I find it interesting to read the scripts of things I've seen, but not really to read as their own thing. Aside from anything else, most of the script-form fanfics I've seen haven't actually been so much scripts as lazy story-writing. They have background information and include character thoughts and reactions, as a regular story would, without taking the trouble to spend the time to produce quality prose. I have also never come across an instance where writing in script format actually added anything to the story.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                X